Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

What is the best putting turf??

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 fifteenclubs

fifteenclubs

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 73026
  • Ebay ID:fifteenclubs75
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 21 December 2017 - 11:21 AM

I’m currently looking at upgrading from an 8x18 BirdieBall mat that I’ve laid into a platform I built. Have the space to go bigger or keep the platform and just add better quality turf. Can’t seem to find any head to head comparisons out there but I’m looking currently at StarPro and ProPutt turf primarily. Open to other options but just want the best quality I can find. Cost isn’t a huge issue. Have a large pole barn with a concrete floor so space isn’t an issue either. I’d like to also be able to chip and pitch to it and wondering if that will be possible if I just lay the turf directly onto the concrete. Representatives from each company say that I will but I’m skeptical that it might bounce too much. Anyone have any thoughts or opinions on the best quality turf out there, whether one of the two I listed or otherwise? And how it performs both for putting and chipping/pitching.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 hybrid25

hybrid25

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,596 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 434860
GolfWRX Likes : 704

Posted 21 December 2017 - 12:15 PM

View Postfifteenclubs, on 21 December 2017 - 11:21 AM, said:

Im currently looking at upgrading from an 8x18 BirdieBall mat that Ive laid into a platform I built. Have the space to go bigger or keep the platform and just add better quality turf. Cant seem to find any head to head comparisons out there but Im looking currently at StarPro and ProPutt turf primarily. Open to other options but just want the best quality I can find. Cost isnt a huge issue. Have a large pole barn with a concrete floor so space isnt an issue either. Id like to also be able to chip and pitch to it and wondering if that will be possible if I just lay the turf directly onto the concrete. Representatives from each company say that I will but Im skeptical that it might bounce too much. Anyone have any thoughts or opinions on the best quality turf out there, whether one of the two I listed or otherwise? And how it performs both for putting and chipping/pitching.
I have owned 3 different putting surfaces,
Star Pro
Birdie Ball
Big Moss
Star Pro is excellent quality, but too slow. I wouldnt recommend buying it unless you want a really slow pace.
  I actually like the performance of the BB, but you have one already.
  The BM has a nice pace to it, and good quality, but I don't think it would fit your application?
  BTW, I sold my SP, couldn't adjust to the snail pace.

#3 James B

James B

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 72611
  • Handicap:3.0
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 21 December 2017 - 01:23 PM

I have Starpro Pro surface in my basement (16 x 8) and really like it.  It may be a little slower (closer to public course speeds)  but you easily chip on the material since it more like grass (distance from the bottom mat and the ball resetting on the surface).  The spec sheet states you can use sand to get the speed up but in the basement that was not a option.  I think I saw a post with someone that actually used sand indoors to make the surface have a faster speed.  I know Starpro can send you samples to get a idea of the material not sure about your other option.
917D2, 9.5, MT-6s
PXG 0341 15, 21 Rogue Black 70S
PXG 0317, 22, 25 with Rogue Black 85H
718 AP2, 6-PW, GW, Modus 120S
Vokey SM6  56(V) (bent to 55), 60(V) Modus 105 Wedge
Scotty Cameron Select Newport or Concept 1 (Circle T) or Futura 5.5M

#4 campion

campion

3-jack-king

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 135803
GolfWRX Likes : 115

Posted 22 December 2017 - 10:10 PM

Wellputt, theyre pretty expensive (for what it is) but rolls great .. its what TPI uses. Its the best Ive found by far and rolls out flat and rolls up back into its box.

If you wanna go big here you go.

https://us.wellputt....0228350291.html

Edited by campion, 22 December 2017 - 10:16 PM.

#5 fifteenclubs

fifteenclubs

• 20 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2017 - 11:38 AM

Ended up going with ProPutt. Read way too many comments from various places saying the StarPro was just too slow. Ordered a custom 15x30 piece of turf. Hoping to receive it next week. From what I could find it rolls about 10.5 - 12 depending on the batch being delivered. They guarantee 10.5 but said most of the recent batches are measuring close to 12 but they’d rather under promise and over deliver. I’ll update once it’s received and installed.

Edited by fifteenclubs, 31 December 2017 - 11:39 AM.

#6 lobstah

lobstah

Old Faht

• 40 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 237575
  • Handicap:7
GolfWRX Likes : 2160

Posted 04 January 2018 - 06:52 PM

Looking forward to your review of the ProPutt turf. I bought a Net Return Pro series a few years back, and although neither Net Return or ProPutt would admit to it, I think the 6 x 10 turf that came with it is the same turf. In fact, if you look at the PP "all products" page for Golf Studio Packages they have the same image as NR does. I spoke with Paul from Net Return, and asked him about it. To be fair, he said " No, we have a company in Georgia that makes it just for us", but PP doesn't offer a 6 x 10 , all of their turf is 15' in length... so perhaps there is some plausible deniability at work. Maybe he thought I was doing some corporate espionage...I don't know :). At any rate, I love the turf. Not only does it putt well ( never tested the stimp, but it's pretty slick), but you can hit off it with any club. Two years ago, we built an addition on the house and the green was left out on the deck all winter, and I live in Maine...didn't affect it at all. I'm betting you'll love it !

Edited by lobstah, 04 January 2018 - 06:54 PM.

#7 fifteenclubs

fifteenclubs

• 20 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2018 - 01:17 AM

Delivery is scheduled for Monday. I’ve been waiting like a kid at Christmas for this turf!! In their defense though I did order it the Saturday before Christmas and with it being the week between Christmas and New Years I’m sure there were a number of days they were closed. Plus it’s almost 300 lbs so it has to be delivered by a freight company. Can’t wait to get it set up and test it out. Will update ASAP.

Edited by fifteenclubs, 06 January 2018 - 01:18 AM.

#8 fifteenclubs

fifteenclubs

• 20 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2018 - 11:49 AM

Turf is installed and we are loving it! 15x30 is huge and perfect for chips and pitches. Just rolled it out over a concrete floor and due to the drains in the floor it gives us multiple natural breaks. It’s perfect. Takes chips and even lofted pitches well. I would estimate it to roll about a 10 on the stimp. I’d prefer that it rolled a little faster but it seems like it’s either get a turf (carpet) that rolls fast and doesn’t accept chips and pitches well, or get one that will but won’t be as fast. All in all very satisfied with the quality and performance of the product.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors