Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Byron Morgan Guidance/Help

95 replies to this topic

#1 mjbaker80

mjbaker80

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114459
  • Handicap:5.7
GolfWRX Likes : 90

Posted 19 December 2017 - 11:57 AM

Hey, all.  Be gentle, I don't post a ton and am FAR from an expert in Byrons.....I've very close to placing an order but could use some guidance....

I'm putting some stuff in here that will welcome bashing, but, perhaps we could refrain over the holiday season :).  Positive guidance, thoughts, suggestions and feedback are welcomed!  Thank you in advance...  

Long story short, I'd like to get a Morgan that is most similar to Tiger's gamer.  I know I am setting myself to get lit up here for being a Tiger fanboy....I know, I know....he was my hero as a kid and I've always wanted a putter that resembled his.  I should note that after a SAM fitting session, the Newport 2 style and 30 degrees of hang fit me best.  So, this isn't a mis-fit putter style for me....

I love the shape of his gamer, but, don't care to fork over $5k for it through Scotty.  Not to mention, if I found a Circle T on the secondary market, it would be need to be bent to my specs.  I am NOT a Scotty hater.  His stuff is unreal.....I would just rather have a master BUILD one me......

I've been following Byron and he seems like an incredible talent.  Not to mention, I've had some prototypes built for me by other small shops and owning/gaming them is very cool and special.  I've talked to Steve, his sales guy, but, feel bad battering him with question after question....

I know there are some major experts on here and I have read about the 612 v 615 or 615 (softened).

So, I thought I would use the collective knowledge here to find out what would most closely resemble Tiger's gamer?

I do know the basics (Tiger's is a GSS, old Newport 2 style)....besides that, I've read conflicting opinions on WHICH Byron most resembles Tiger's.....

I have talked to Steve, there, and am close to ordering.....his recommendation was the 615.

Thanks all.  Looking forward to hearing from folks.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 Ngjg21

Ngjg21

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 279997
  • Handicap:4.0
GolfWRX Likes : 114

Posted 19 December 2017 - 12:35 PM

Agree w/ Steve -- the 615 likely is the closest (tri-plane sole, similar angles). You also can order it in GSS.

#3 Nixhex524

Nixhex524

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,564 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 305437
  • Handicap:4.1
  • Ebay ID:Nixhex524
GolfWRX Likes : 1070

Posted 19 December 2017 - 12:36 PM

I'm no expert but I did own a 615 and a 2016 NP2 at the same time.... they are VERY similar no doubt.  I'm also no expert on Tiger's gamer, but I would agree that the 615 is probably your best bet.  I think the 612 is a little shorter heel to toe than the 615s... I've had 4 Byrons and they have all been top notch, beautifully made putters, you won't be disappointed.  Would love to see some pics when you have it in hand!
Ping G400 Max 9*
Titleist 915f 16.5*
Srixon Z745 3-P
Titleist SM6 52*/58*
Ping Vault 2.0 Dale Anser

#4 mjbaker80

mjbaker80

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2017 - 01:51 PM

Nixhex524, on 19 December 2017 - 12:36 PM, said:

I'm no expert but I did own a 615 and a 2016 NP2 at the same time.... they are VERY similar no doubt.  I'm also no expert on Tiger's gamer, but I would agree that the 615 is probably your best bet.  I think the 612 is a little shorter heel to toe than the 615s... I've had 4 Byrons and they have all been top notch, beautifully made putters, you won't be disappointed.  Would love to see some pics when you have it in hand!

SO APPRECIATE the helpful replies, guys.  I've heard also that Tiger's gamer has a "full" offset on the neck whereas others (maybe the 612) have less (1/2 inch or 3/4 inch).  Again, I'm no expert either....

I think you guys (and Steve) are dead on, though on the 615......Tiger's definitely has a tri sole, GSS, etc.

I wonder if anyone knows....was Tiger's gamer (the Scotty that is) softened?  Or, perhaps it just softened naturally over time from use....I know that can happen after years and years of use....

I bought a Method 001 years ago and it was VERY boxy.  I sent it to Continental and they softened it...looks great just not near the craftsmanship, obviously, of Byron...

Finally, I bet if I just told Byron that I'd like the headshape to mirror Tiger's as closely as possibly, I bet he'd know EXACTLY what to do.....sounds like a great guy and an artist.  That's a large part of why I'd like him to build this!

Edited by mjbaker80, 19 December 2017 - 01:52 PM.

#5 Ngjg21

Ngjg21

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2017 - 04:04 PM

mjbaker80, on 19 December 2017 - 01:51 PM, said:

SO APPRECIATE the helpful replies, guys.  I've heard also that Tiger's gamer has a "full" offset on the neck whereas others (maybe the 612) have less (1/2 inch or 3/4 inch).  Again, I'm no expert either....

I think you guys (and Steve) are dead on, though on the 615......Tiger's definitely has a tri sole, GSS, etc.

I wonder if anyone knows....was Tiger's gamer (the Scotty that is) softened?  Or, perhaps it just softened naturally over time from use....I know that can happen after years and years of use....

I bought a Method 001 years ago and it was VERY boxy.  I sent it to Continental and they softened it...looks great just not near the craftsmanship, obviously, of Byron...

Finally, I bet if I just told Byron that I'd like the headshape to mirror Tiger's as closely as possibly, I bet he'd know EXACTLY what to do.....sounds like a great guy and an artist.  That's a large part of why I'd like him to build this!

You're correct--the stock 612 has a 3/4 shaft offset, while the 615 has full offset. Def not an expert on Tiger's Scotty, but I would guess any noticeable softening on the edges has more to do with the original design than use. FWIW, the 615 has very sharp angles as a stock head.

Most guys get the 615 softened a bit...I typically have requested that the corners/shoulders be left as-is, since I like the boxier look on that model. Again, the options are the benefits of going custom--you can decide what best suits you.

#6 mjbaker80

mjbaker80

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2017 - 04:45 PM

Ngjg21, on 19 December 2017 - 04:04 PM, said:

mjbaker80, on 19 December 2017 - 01:51 PM, said:

You're correct--the stock 612 has a 3/4 shaft offset, while the 615 has full offset. Def not an expert on Tiger's Scotty, but I would guess any noticeable softening on the edges has more to do with the original design than use. FWIW, the 615 has very sharp angles as a stock head.

Most guys get the 615 softened a bit...I typically have requested that the corners/shoulders be left as-is, since I like the boxier look on that model. Again, the options are the benefits of going custom--you can decide what best suits you.

Thank you!  

So would it be a correct statement to say that the 615 mirrors the Timeless?  Does Tiger play a Tmeless?  Despite having read countless threads, I'm still confused whether Tiger's IS a Timeless, whether a Timeless is simply an OLD NP2 shape or both are true?  Dizzy yet?!?!  :)

Do you guys have any suggestions on headweight?  I know Tiger's is lighter....like 345ish and D7.

Thoughts on Milling?

The more I think about doing this, I think it's really the TIGER SHAPE that I'm after.  I hear GSS can be hype over substance (tons of threads on this)....and I like putters that are SOFT....so, that would be carbon and milled....

So, may even get TIGER SHAPE and do carbon, milled

In related news, I'm a total headcase with too many ideas!  hahaha

You guys are awesome.  Hope the info/feedback/info/ideas keep flowing!  Thanks much.

#7 Pwood28

Pwood28

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 338855
GolfWRX Likes : 109

Posted 19 December 2017 - 05:43 PM

Tiger's putter was pre-timeless and therefore a Newport 2.  The 615 is what you're looking for, and the "Tai" treatment will get the hand softened look that Tiger's putter has.  Byron can make anything happen that you want as far as offset and toe hang if you're willing to go with a welded neck (different than Tiger's putter).  Definitely verify with Steve that the stock plumbers neck is full shaft and the toe hang that you are looking for.  It might come down to having to choose a weld neck, or having the specs "close" to what you're looking for.  Just an FYI, Tiger's putter was GSS and Byron does do 615's in GSS.  Expensive, but it you looking to get the details precise, it's an option.  You gotta go with the blackout Ping-man grip too.  Not sure if Byron has them, but they're really easy to order.

Byron builds great sticks and anybody that wants to give you hard time for being a Tiger fanboy can eat a d**k.  Byron is currently working on a Speith-ish carbon DH89 for me right now, and a GSS Tiger-ish 615 is next on my list.
WITB (Some combination of)

TM M2 Driver - 10.5 degree - Kuro Kage Silver XT
TM M2 3 Wood - 15 degree - Kuro Kage Silver TiNi
Cobra F6 Baffler 4-5 Wood - 17.5 degree - Kuro Kage Silver TiNi
TM M2 Hybrid - 22 degree - Kuro Kage Silver
TM P790 3 iron - Graphite Design AD Driving Iron 95g
TM P790 4 iron-AW - C Taper Lite
TM Milled Grind 52 degree - KBS Tour 120
TM Milled Grind Hi Toe 58 degree - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
Putter (Way too many to list!)

IG:  Filmoregolf

#8 Ngjg21

Ngjg21

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2017 - 07:20 PM

Last I checked (about 4 months ago), the only milling Byron would do on the 615 was the stock tuna #4 milling (google the 615 and you will find examples). That said, it wasn't an issue of capability but, rather, his choice. I would guess that if you were willing to go GSS he would likely be open to providing whatever milling you'd like from his arsenal given that you'd be paying $900 minimum (base price for 615 GSS, before finish, stamping, etc).

With the stock milling the 615 is definitely on the firmer side. IMHO, I have experienced no difference in feel between GSS and American stainless...but your mileage may vary depending on how much mental stock you put in GSS. I think the face thickness, milling, and other non-material based factors have a lot more to do with the feel.

Agree with Pwood--you'd definitely need to soften the 615 to achieve something akin to Tiger's NP2. Good luck with your choice and be sure to post pics of the finished product!

#9 Kaexo

Kaexo

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 481926
GolfWRX Likes : 140

Posted 19 December 2017 - 08:39 PM

From everything I have gathered Tiger's is 330g D7 swing weight. So fairly light considering today's standards. Byron is excellent and to save some money I would just consider 303SS as there isn't a single bit of difference in GSS to 303 besides the price tag. Unless you just want GSS.

The only one that actually sees any difference is Byron when doing the milling as GSS is slightly easier to mill since it has more copper in it. Fill, durability, etc is the same.

I would agree with others and say the 615 softened or "Jack Tai" treatment as some people call it would likely resemble it the most but you're unlikely to get it exact unless you were to possibly get a handmade from a guy like Lamont at Mannkrafted. I've heard he makes one that resembles it quite a bit.

Edited by Kaexo, 19 December 2017 - 08:48 PM.

#10 Kaexo

Kaexo

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 481926

Posted 19 December 2017 - 08:52 PM

Here is a handmade Lamont is making someone else. It doesn't have the edges softened yet but that is certainly available I would believe.

Milled tour dots wouldn't be a problem for Byron or Lamont either.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG952448.jpg
  • IMG952451.jpg
  • IMG952450.jpg
  • IMG952447.jpg

Edited by Kaexo, 19 December 2017 - 08:54 PM.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 Scotty1140

Scotty1140

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132137
GolfWRX Likes : 2076

Posted 19 December 2017 - 10:23 PM

615 SS or GSS
Soften the bumpers, neck and top line.
Grind, or mill the face smooth.
Brushed face and sole, Glass Blast the rest.
Stamps and tour dots as needed.

Instant Tiger gamer.

#12 Pure745

Pure745

CPC #15

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,353 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 35341
  • Handicap:Baby
GolfWRX Likes : 8975

Posted 19 December 2017 - 10:41 PM

Byron might have some of the older heads that are more in line with the classic NP2 "Tiger style" head - I would contact him and tell him exactly what you're looking for, odds are he probably has some heads floating around and will make you exactly what you're asking for!  

I'd avoid the GSS heads unless you're prepared to pay close to $1K.
Titleist 917D3 9.5 - Fujikura Atmos Black 7tx
Titleist 917F2 15 - Fujikura Speeder 857 Evo2 Proto
Titleist 718 T-MB/CB/MB combo set - PX LZ 6.5 hard stepped
Vokey SM7 RAW 47F 51F 55S WW 60V
Scotty Cameron 009 Tool Box

Instagram: @pure745 https://www.instagram.com/pure745/

#13 Sir edward of putternut

Sir edward of putternut

DARTH SMUG

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 401902
GolfWRX Likes : 701

Posted 19 December 2017 - 11:18 PM

I have 2 morgans, a dh89 ss and a black carbon tool of the gods...2 best putters ive owned.
U cant go wrong, well actually u can, but byron cant
2005 taylormade 2005 TP CB (3-pw)
Cleveland 588 forged
Mizuno mp14
714ap2
Ping s55
J40 cb
Cobra mbs
Cobra cbs
Tourstage x blade
Mp 64
Mp 62

SRIXON Z545 MAAYIZAKI ASHA 4X
Srixon z745
Tm m2
Jdm sldr 430(darth fader)

BYRON MORGAN 007
Wilson 8802
Cameron monterey
Odyssey 7s

HoganTK15 WEDGES 51-59

COBRA LTD PRO 4 WD

Titleist Tmb 2 Iron

#14 mjbaker80

mjbaker80

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2017 - 09:33 AM

Man....I am just blown away by how awesome and HELPFUL you guys/gals? have ALL been.  I read a TON of stuff on here, and, sometimes people can be snarky, critical and judgmental.  This thread has been NONE of those things.  Thank you guys, sincerely.  I just placed my order and will for sure post pictures!

This putter, in a way, was formed out of contributions by this thread.  Pretty cool.

Wishing all of you, your families, friends and, of course, SCORECARDS, a very happy holiday season!

Oh, and feel free to keep this going!  :)

#15 tobrien33

tobrien33

Feel The Ern

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 422950

Posted 20 December 2017 - 12:24 PM

For what it is worth, if you like a soft feeling putter you should definitely consider a carbon 615, softened edges.  Sight dot.  Maybe a raw finish or something more interesting if youíre willing to stray from the Tiger model slightly.   But I agree, canít go wrong with any Byron.   I have a few and they are all incredible.  Especially love his fine hand millling on my carbon 89.  So pure when you hit the sweet spot.

2017 Bag

Driver:     Callaway 815 DBD 11*
3W:     Callaway Big Bertha 15*
3H:     TM M2 20*
4H:     Callaway Apex 24*
Irons:     Callaway Apex CF16 4/5-AW
Wedges:     Titleist Copper Vokey 54/60*
             Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 64*
Putter(s):     Byron Morgan 612 TCB (Tai Edition)
                Byron Morgan DH89 Carbon Matte Blue Oil Long Pipe
                Kari Lajosi DD201 TCB

#16 mjbaker80

mjbaker80

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2017 - 01:11 PM

tobrien33, on 20 December 2017 - 12:24 PM, said:

For what it is worth, if you like a soft feeling putter you should definitely consider a carbon 615, softened edges.  Sight dot.  Maybe a raw finish or something more interesting if you're willing to stray from the Tiger model slightly.   But I agree, can't go wrong with any Byron.   I have a few and they are all incredible.  Especially love his fine hand millling on my carbon 89.  So pure when you hit the sweet spot.

Great thoughts, man.....my buddy has a DH carbon and its insane soft.....your idea is VERY temping.....  I am really grappling with "how Tiger" I want to go....  

I could....

1.) Just honor the head shape (get a softened 715) and do the rest to preference.....
or
2.) Go full blown Tiger right down to 345 grams, D7, beac blast/santin-ish finish, etc.  

From what I hear, Byron's steel is pretty soft bc he's so good at the craftsmanship/shape?  I imagine it can't TOO hard?  I do know carbon is softer.  Would you guys say it's comparable to a very soft gold ball vs a firmer (say ProV vs old RZN).  Just trying to get an idea....

I'm also hesitant to go as LIGHT as Tiger has his....I'm used to 350ish!

REALLY tough to decide....talking to Steve their sales guy later today.  He's probably about to murder me :).

#17 Pwood28

Pwood28

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 338855
GolfWRX Likes : 109

Posted 20 December 2017 - 02:13 PM

You're definitely heading in the right direction.  My advice would be if this is going to be your one gamer putter, then you should definitely set it up towards your preference of specs.  If you like 350g normally, go 350g.  If you prefer a softer feel vs. a harder feel, you can go carbon or deep milled stainless.  I would say the standard #4 tuna mill has a nice medium feel to it, but not sure if I can speak to a good apples to apples comparison.  If you love the feel of your buddy's DH89 in carbon, maybe go carbon, but if it is a touch too soft, then go stainless.  While there is a difference

For me, my goal when I set mine up will be to have a putter that fits my specs in terms of weight, milling, etc., but aesthetically pays homage to Tiger's stick, while still being a Byron Morgan putter.  The mill dot in the cavity with BYRON stamping, first and last name on the bumpers, Mill dot with vertical "BYRON MORGAN" stamping and my initials on the face.  Top that off with a bead blast finish and translucent red paintfill and you have a personalized version of the famous Big Cat putter.
WITB (Some combination of)

TM M2 Driver - 10.5 degree - Kuro Kage Silver XT
TM M2 3 Wood - 15 degree - Kuro Kage Silver TiNi
Cobra F6 Baffler 4-5 Wood - 17.5 degree - Kuro Kage Silver TiNi
TM M2 Hybrid - 22 degree - Kuro Kage Silver
TM P790 3 iron - Graphite Design AD Driving Iron 95g
TM P790 4 iron-AW - C Taper Lite
TM Milled Grind 52 degree - KBS Tour 120
TM Milled Grind Hi Toe 58 degree - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
Putter (Way too many to list!)

IG:  Filmoregolf

#18 mjbaker80

mjbaker80

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2017 - 02:48 PM

Pwood28, on 20 December 2017 - 02:13 PM, said:

You're definitely heading in the right direction.  My advice would be if this is going to be your one gamer putter, then you should definitely set it up towards your preference of specs.  If you like 350g normally, go 350g.  If you prefer a softer feel vs. a harder feel, you can go carbon or deep milled stainless.  I would say the standard #4 tuna mill has a nice medium feel to it, but not sure if I can speak to a good apples to apples comparison.  If you love the feel of your buddy's DH89 in carbon, maybe go carbon, but if it is a touch too soft, then go stainless.  While there is a difference

For me, my goal when I set mine up will be to have a putter that fits my specs in terms of weight, milling, etc., but aesthetically pays homage to Tiger's stick, while still being a Byron Morgan putter.  The mill dot in the cavity with BYRON stamping, first and last name on the bumpers, Mill dot with vertical "BYRON MORGAN" stamping and my initials on the face.  Top that off with a bead blast finish and translucent red paintfill and you have a personalized version of the famous Big Cat putter.

Man....I'm the lawyer but you guys are the ones with the best points and arguments, I tell you!  This might have sealed the deal for me.....

Just for the record, too.  I'm absolutely going to SPEC it to me - will be 35 inches, 73 lie, 1 degree loft.  That I would NEVER COMPROMISE (pun intended).  But, boy, you make some good points with the HOMAGE aspect.  I REALLY liked that.  I too was going to let the stamping be "inspired" by Big Cat's.  

What's your home address?  I think I owe you a fee or something for putting a bow on this for me, dude!

#19 mjbaker80

mjbaker80

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2017 - 03:10 PM

Last question (I don't believe that, either).....

Will carbon LOOK different than GSS or SS when finished?  Or, could a carbon theoretical look like his stick (dull grey bead blasted).  I usually like crazy finishes on my putters but this one I might go understated (grey, bead blasted as you described above).

#20 tobrien33

tobrien33

Feel The Ern

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 422950

Posted 20 December 2017 - 04:03 PM

Talking and thinking through new putter builds is always good fun.  2 more cents from me, if youíre pretty set on the aesthetics looking like The Big Cat putter, you may have to go stainless, as Iím not sure there is an option (other than perhaps raw or nickel plating) that you could get to look like Tigerís Newport.  Iím sure others can chime in but Iím not sure he offers nickel plating anymore or Iím not sure if you could get it blasted.  And the raw finish option will require maintenance.  

As for feel, I think you could accomplish any softness you want based mostly off of the face milling and ball you use as you mentioned.   With a soft ball, I had a stainless 006 from Byron for a while that was the softest feeling putter I may have ever used, as there was a deep mill on the face.  If youíre looking for a fine mill face aesthetic, or a smooth ish face almost like Tigerís, you may have to go carbon as a fine mill stainless would be a little clicky.  

So many things to consider !!  ;)

2017 Bag

Driver:     Callaway 815 DBD 11*
3W:     Callaway Big Bertha 15*
3H:     TM M2 20*
4H:     Callaway Apex 24*
Irons:     Callaway Apex CF16 4/5-AW
Wedges:     Titleist Copper Vokey 54/60*
             Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 64*
Putter(s):     Byron Morgan 612 TCB (Tai Edition)
                Byron Morgan DH89 Carbon Matte Blue Oil Long Pipe
                Kari Lajosi DD201 TCB

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 mjbaker80

mjbaker80

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2017 - 04:09 PM

tobrien33, on 20 December 2017 - 04:03 PM, said:

Talking and thinking through new putter builds is always good fun.  2 more cents from me, if you're pretty set on the aesthetics looking like The Big Cat putter, you may have to go stainless, as I'm not sure there is an option (other than perhaps raw or nickel plating) that you could get to look like Tiger's Newport.  I'm sure others can chime in but I'm not sure he offers nickel plating anymore or I'm not sure if you could get it blasted.  And the raw finish option will require maintenance.  

As for feel, I think you could accomplish any softness you want based mostly off of the face milling and ball you use as you mentioned.   With a soft ball, I had a stainless 006 from Byron for a while that was the softest feeling putter I may have ever used, as there was a deep mill on the face.  If you're looking for a fine mill face aesthetic, or a smooth ish face almost like Tiger's, you may have to go carbon as a fine mill stainless would be a little clicky.  

So many things to consider !!  ;)

hahaha.  Right?!?  Especially because if I DEEP milled Stainless to get it softer, then it's less like Tiger's in terms of look (which appears to have almost NO milling?!).  Anyone know a good psychologist who's working over the holidays??

#22 oneaugusta

oneaugusta

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14191
  • Handicap:8.7
GolfWRX Likes : 751

Posted 20 December 2017 - 04:38 PM

Sounds like you want a SS 612.  IMO the deep milling changes the feel of an SS putter to muted and IMO loses that solid feel.  Byron's #4 tuna milling is what I would call medium milling and just perfect, again IMO.
Titleist 917 D2 GOGO 5 6S
   TEE CB5 4 wood Fubuki Tour
   Miura CB57's Nippon Modus 120
   Miura custom raw 50 54, 56 Nippon WV 125
   David Mills Custom torched  Heritage SS flow neck
   David Mills Custom Carbon flow neck Hertitage V2 with Nitride finish
   David Mills GS Ming V3 flow neck
   Byron Rincon DH89

#23 tangojay

tangojay

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 18679
GolfWRX Likes : 371

Posted 20 December 2017 - 06:55 PM

Try this:

1) Go to his web site
2) Send him an e-mail with what you want
3) Wait couple of days for answer

It is common for him to call customers to insure they get what they want once they order. Have you gone to his website and seen his gallery?
This is the 615 which has been suggested is what you may be looking for615-glass-blast.jpg 615.jpg 615-blank.jpg

Edited by tangojay, 20 December 2017 - 06:57 PM.

#24 Pure745

Pure745

CPC #15

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,353 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 35341
  • Handicap:Baby
GolfWRX Likes : 8975

Posted 20 December 2017 - 07:40 PM

Based off the 615 head, I'd ask him to hand work the sh*t out of that head, especially the bumpers and neck.  I've been lucky enough to roll an authentic Tiger backup, like "the backup" not a normal Tiger backup that are out there.. the one thing I noticed is how razor thin the top line is.  Byron can recreate this and probably mill some weight off the face to recreate that thing top line.  There's also some softening to the topline on Tiger's and again, Byron can recreate this.

I've seen Byron hand mill pockets, hand shape DH89's and hand finish more than one Damascus putter for me.  It really is incredible to watch.
Titleist 917D3 9.5 - Fujikura Atmos Black 7tx
Titleist 917F2 15 - Fujikura Speeder 857 Evo2 Proto
Titleist 718 T-MB/CB/MB combo set - PX LZ 6.5 hard stepped
Vokey SM7 RAW 47F 51F 55S WW 60V
Scotty Cameron 009 Tool Box

Instagram: @pure745 https://www.instagram.com/pure745/

#25 bladehunter

bladehunter

I have a great profile! Especially from the side !

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,402 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 291449
  • Handicap:NONE
GolfWRX Likes : 14861

Posted 20 December 2017 - 09:09 PM

mjbaker80, on 20 December 2017 - 01:11 PM, said:

tobrien33, on 20 December 2017 - 12:24 PM, said:

For what it is worth, if you like a soft feeling putter you should definitely consider a carbon 615, softened edges.  Sight dot.  Maybe a raw finish or something more interesting if you're willing to stray from the Tiger model slightly.   But I agree, can't go wrong with any Byron.   I have a few and they are all incredible.  Especially love his fine hand millling on my carbon 89.  So pure when you hit the sweet spot.

Great thoughts, man.....my buddy has a DH carbon and its insane soft.....your idea is VERY temping.....  I am really grappling with "how Tiger" I want to go....  

I could....

1.) Just honor the head shape (get a softened 715) and do the rest to preference.....
or
2.) Go full blown Tiger right down to 345 grams, D7, beac blast/santin-ish finish, etc.  

From what I hear, Byron's steel is pretty soft bc he's so good at the craftsmanship/shape?  I imagine it can't TOO hard?  I do know carbon is softer.  Would you guys say it's comparable to a very soft gold ball vs a firmer (say ProV vs old RZN).  Just trying to get an idea....

I'm also hesitant to go as LIGHT as Tiger has his....I'm used to 350ish!

REALLY tough to decide....talking to Steve their sales guy later today.  He's probably about to murder me :).

i think you are on the right track....  Tiger-ish with the fit and performance for YOU!

if you dont prefer full offset ...dont have it built with it... do it 350 if you like that ..  but i will say the translucent red only looks right with stainless...  doesnt get the same effect with carbon..

17 M1 8.7  Tour Issue Aldila Synergy Blue 70TX
17 M1 14.5  Tour issue Graphite Design   AD DI 8X
Titleist 816H2 21 Graphite Design AD DI 105X
Miura 1957 Small Blades 3-pw Modus 130X
Vokey  sm6   54M  300 series 59  Modus 125X
009 GSS 1.5  , Beached, tungsten sole weights, vertical stamp face

#26 mjbaker80

mjbaker80

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2017 - 11:26 AM

ORDER OFFICIALLY PLACED!  I just sent an email to Steve and Byron and they have my money.  HA.  So excited, guys. My most genuine thanks to you all.  SPECIAL THANKS to PURE745!  I actually sent a screenshot of your last post (about working/softening the head) directly to Byron!

And, I'll send them this thread.  They should see how many fans and true advocates they have on this site.  Pretty cool stuff.

Here's what I went with...

715 HEAD, stainless steel, TIGERIZED/SOFTENED with suggestions from PURE745
TOUR SATIN/BLASTED finish
LIGHT MILLING to honor Tiger's head.

The stamping will have to be a surprise.....  stay tuned for pictures...

HAPPY HOLIDAYS GUYS!

#27 treyerikhayden

treyerikhayden

TheFightingEdFioris

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 288611
  • Handicap:+1
  • Ebay ID:thay3589
GolfWRX Likes : 80

Posted 21 December 2017 - 11:32 AM

I asked Byron to make me the Tiger SC a couple years ago when the 615 first came out and he did an awesome job. Steve was very helpful in his guidance.
This putter turned me into a Recovering Putter Ho, as it has stayed in the bag for 24 months now, a new record!
2016 M2 10.5*
2016 M2 15*
Speedblade Tour Issue 18*
Cally UT Apex 24*
TM P770 5-9
Vokey SM6 46* 52* 58* SM4 64*
Byron Morgan 615

#28 psapitch13

psapitch13

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 80739
GolfWRX Likes : 39

Posted 21 December 2017 - 12:44 PM

treyerikhayden, on 21 December 2017 - 11:32 AM, said:

I asked Byron to make me the Tiger SC a couple years ago when the 615 first came out and he did an awesome job. Steve was very helpful in his guidance.
This putter turned me into a Recovering Putter Ho, as it has stayed in the bag for 24 months now, a new record!

I'd love to see some photos.

#29 newportbeach

newportbeach

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,954 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 481
  • Ebay ID:spyglass
GolfWRX Likes : 516

Posted 21 December 2017 - 01:56 PM

treyerikhayden, on 21 December 2017 - 11:32 AM, said:

I'd love to see some pictures too.
Though much is taken much abides;
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
- Lord Tennyson

#30 smeech8000

smeech8000

Ev'ryday I'm Trufflin'

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 254422
  • Handicap:3.3
  • Ebay ID:smeech8000
GolfWRX Likes : 1138

Posted 21 December 2017 - 03:13 PM

Posting to follow - sounds like a tasty build OP! :nyam:

mjbaker80, on 21 December 2017 - 11:26 AM, said:

SPECIAL THANKS to PURE745!  I actually sent a screenshot of your last post (about working/softening the head) directly to Byron!

I really got a kick out of this post.

OP:  "Hey Byron, some of the folks over at WRX have some great ideas about softening the edges... something about a "Tai" treatment, have you ever heard of it???  Anyways, this guy named Pure745 seems to really understand what they're talking about... here, I'll just repost it..."

BM:  :cheesy:

Titleist 915D4 9.5*
Titleist 909f3 15*
Titleist 913h 19*
Cally RAZR MB 4-PW
Cally Forged 50/54/58
Lajosi Sensor

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors