Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * - - - 10 votes

Jack Nicklaus ‘not interested at all’ in watching Tiger Woods’ comeback


252 replies to this topic

#241 Uhit

Uhit

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 450896
  • Joined: 01/06/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 274

Posted 01 January 2018 - 06:42 AM

View PostBye, on 22 December 2017 - 11:13 AM, said:

View PostUhit, on 22 December 2017 - 08:10 AM, said:

View Postnew2g0lf, on 19 December 2017 - 11:29 PM, said:

View PostOcRockRoller, on 19 December 2017 - 08:12 PM, said:

I don't know why all the backlash. The golden bear has done so much for the game, who are you to call this legendary sportmans out?  He's done his part, he set the bar. And This wasn't all over sportscenter. The only people who heard are the true golf junkies or people make their living in the sport. The general sports public doesn't care one bit, so it really doesn't matter one way or another. And their is a double standard here, if someone gives a cookie cutter, politically correct answer, we call them out for being a phony or being careful. If people are honest, we get all butt hurt and can't Believe they had a nerve to say such a thing. Will the madness ever stop?

I'm not butt hurt, I have clients in the industry that agree Jack didn't act like an golf ambassador or do them any favors making those comments.   I don't think Jack was being honest, how can he do his job as a course designer if he's not watching golf and observing how current golfers manage existing courses?  He can't have it both ways, he can't on one hand say the golf equipment needs to be rolled back and on the other say he doesn't watch it.

If he really doesn't watch golf then his opinion on the current state of the game is worthless and he should completely refrain from discussing it.

Nobodys perfect - including Jack.

He made a mistake that one can not ignore in regard of his position in the game golf - and that is the point.

I also don´t see a reason why it should not be allowed to talk about something that had hurt the interest of all golfers.

One should be able to learn from mistakes - including Jack - to help growing the game.

This is why sports people are so guarded and why there are so many bad interviews because they are terrified of saying the wrong thing. We then get media trained robots standing there splurting out the same answer as the player before them.

Guys like Speith, Rory, Padraig Harrington and Colin Montgomerie are fascinating to listen to as you get a real answers. This should be encouraged.

If he had said something derogatory about Tiger the fair enough, but he wished him well. It just seems over the top to suggest his comments are bad for the game.

I think he is old and experienced enough, to cope with interviewers.

And I think that what he said is not good for the game.

And I don't believe everything a leading person says - neither good, nor bad.

btw

Happy new year!

Edited by Uhit, 01 January 2018 - 06:44 AM.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#242 BlackDiamondPar5

BlackDiamondPar5

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,691 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71580
  • Joined: 12/30/2008
  • Location:Western NY
GolfWRX Likes : 3223

Posted 01 January 2018 - 08:38 AM

Jacks busy enough watching his grandson play for the Buffalo Bills and now going  to the the playoffs!!! And nice TD catch by his grandson, Nick Oleary!

Edited by BlackDiamondPar5, 01 January 2018 - 08:54 AM.


2

#243 Bye

Bye

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 295315
  • Joined: 02/05/2014
  • Location:England
  • Handicap:1.3
GolfWRX Likes : 644

Posted 01 January 2018 - 10:38 AM

View PostUhit, on 01 January 2018 - 06:42 AM, said:

View PostBye, on 22 December 2017 - 11:13 AM, said:

View PostUhit, on 22 December 2017 - 08:10 AM, said:

View Postnew2g0lf, on 19 December 2017 - 11:29 PM, said:

View PostOcRockRoller, on 19 December 2017 - 08:12 PM, said:

I don't know why all the backlash. The golden bear has done so much for the game, who are you to call this legendary sportmans out?  He's done his part, he set the bar. And This wasn't all over sportscenter. The only people who heard are the true golf junkies or people make their living in the sport. The general sports public doesn't care one bit, so it really doesn't matter one way or another. And their is a double standard here, if someone gives a cookie cutter, politically correct answer, we call them out for being a phony or being careful. If people are honest, we get all butt hurt and can't Believe they had a nerve to say such a thing. Will the madness ever stop?

I'm not butt hurt, I have clients in the industry that agree Jack didn't act like an golf ambassador or do them any favors making those comments.   I don't think Jack was being honest, how can he do his job as a course designer if he's not watching golf and observing how current golfers manage existing courses?  He can't have it both ways, he can't on one hand say the golf equipment needs to be rolled back and on the other say he doesn't watch it.

If he really doesn't watch golf then his opinion on the current state of the game is worthless and he should completely refrain from discussing it.

Nobodys perfect - including Jack.

He made a mistake that one can not ignore in regard of his position in the game golf - and that is the point.

I also don´t see a reason why it should not be allowed to talk about something that had hurt the interest of all golfers.

One should be able to learn from mistakes - including Jack - to help growing the game.

This is why sports people are so guarded and why there are so many bad interviews because they are terrified of saying the wrong thing. We then get media trained robots standing there splurting out the same answer as the player before them.

Guys like Speith, Rory, Padraig Harrington and Colin Montgomerie are fascinating to listen to as you get a real answers. This should be encouraged.

If he had said something derogatory about Tiger the fair enough, but he wished him well. It just seems over the top to suggest his comments are bad for the game.

I think he is old and experienced enough, to cope with interviewers.

And I think that what he said is not good for the game.

And I don't believe everything a leading person says - neither good, nor bad.

btw

Happy new year!

His follow up statement suggests that he realised he misspoke. If people want to watch Tiger they will regardless of what anyone says.

I have a different view, pulling people up for every minor thing they say is not good for the game. An honest interview is far more interesting than a guarded one.

Happy new year!
Taylormade 2017 M1 10.5 - Aldila Rogue Silver 70X - 44.5 inches
Callaway Rogue 3 Wood - Aldila Rogue Silver 70X
Titleist 716CB 3-9 - X100
Vokey 46.08, 50.08 - X100
Vokey 56S, 60M - S300
Scotty Cameron Select Fastback
Titleist Pro V1

3

#244 bladehunter

bladehunter

    I have a great profile! Especially from the side !

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,871 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 291449
  • Joined: 01/12/2014
  • Location:south carolina
  • Handicap:NONE
GolfWRX Likes : 17403

Posted 01 January 2018 - 11:49 AM

^^
Absolutely !  And anyone who thinks that swing hasn’t been copied by teachers.  At least in part isnt paying attention.  High finish and upright backswing are not rare amongst the best ball strikers.
Callaway Rogue 9.8 Tour issue Rogue Black 80TX  playing at 43 1/4
17 M1 14.5  Tour issue Graphite Design   AD DI 8X
  **Testing **  Tour Issue TM GAPR 2 iron w/ Graphite Design ADDI 105X
Miura LE 1957 Small blade   3-pw  Modus 130X
Vokey Tour issue raw 54  60 M  Modus 130S
TM Red TI Slant neck Spider ..34"  full sight line

4

#245 Les Strokes

Les Strokes

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 402242
  • Joined: 11/08/2015
GolfWRX Likes : 96

Posted 01 January 2018 - 02:03 PM

political correctness is an epidemic we should discourage. Too bad some people can't handle the truth, grow up


5

#246 Hawkeye77

Hawkeye77

    The adventure begins!

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 14,904 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100868
  • Joined: 12/27/2009
  • Location:Iowa
GolfWRX Likes : 11282

Posted 01 January 2018 - 02:28 PM

This would interest Jack!

https://twitter.com/...-massive-fish//

6

#247 bscinstnct

bscinstnct

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,355 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77664
  • Joined: 03/17/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 18061

Posted 01 January 2018 - 03:13 PM

View PostHawkeye77, on 01 January 2018 - 02:28 PM, said:

This would interest Jack!

https://twitter.com/...-massive-fish//

Ha!

Class Jack...




Happy Birthday, @TigerWoods! I'm glad you're feeling well and I hope you have a great year. 🎉


https://mobile.twitt...177801479802880

Edited by bscinstnct, 01 January 2018 - 03:17 PM.


7

#248 NJpatbee

NJpatbee

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 266092
  • Joined: 07/24/2013
  • Location:Sussex County, NJ
  • Handicap:16.5
GolfWRX Likes : 443

Posted 04 January 2018 - 01:03 PM

View Postrxk9fan, on 31 December 2017 - 01:10 PM, said:

View Postjohnnypro, on 19 December 2017 - 12:10 AM, said:

Jack and Gary belong in the same nursing home, trading stories about how great they were in spite of their equipment and course conditions and stronger fields and all the other crap they pull out for their self-aggrandizement.
I can picture the oatmeal running down their chins.

Go to bed!

This reads like it was written by a guy that has a 16 or 17 HC, has never been and never will be any better but thinks he is clever when he talks about the greats of the game belonging in a nursing home?  Maybe I am a little sensitive since I lost my Father this year after having to place him in a nursing home and watch age over come one of the nicest individuals I will ever know.  If and when Jack needs that level of care, it won't be because of poor decisions he made such as having 100+ affairs or the over use of alcohol and opioids.  
I hope you are not this kind of person when not behind the keyboard.  
Because Jack does not watch Tiger you feel compelled to make your comment??
Keep that HC where it is Stud and you might break 85 a couple of times this year from the front tees.  And NO, Jack won't want to watch that either!

I agree with the points you made with one exception - I am a 17 HCP and please do not assume any correlation between someone's golf handicap and their intelligence or sense of integrity.

8

#249 Hit em good

Hit em good

    Hit em good

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 147143
  • Joined: 11/16/2011
  • Location:Texas
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 561

Posted 08 January 2018 - 01:53 PM

Media trying to make something out of nothing.  Jack was clear to say that he doesn't watch anyone play golf.  It had nothing to do with Tiger specifically.

This is why I am very, very discerning about the news I take in.
Driver (9.5°):  07 Burner TP
4 & 7 wood:  Ping G25
3 & 4 iron:  Mizuno MP Fli Hi (2010 model)
5 iron - pw:  Mizuno MP64 (6i - pw bent 1° weak)
Wedges:  Cleveland Rotex 2.0   54° / 58°
Putter:  Ping Redwood Anser
Bag:  Ping Hoofer
Ball:  Titleist Pro v1x

9

#250 dlygrisse

dlygrisse

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,292 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16702
  • Joined: 07/21/2006
  • Location:Kansas
GolfWRX Likes : 6628

Posted 08 January 2018 - 02:21 PM

View Postbscinstnct, on 01 January 2018 - 03:13 PM, said:

View PostHawkeye77, on 01 January 2018 - 02:28 PM, said:

This would interest Jack!

https://twitter.com/...-massive-fish//

Ha!

Class Jack...




Happy Birthday, @TigerWoods! I'm glad you're feeling well and I hope you have a great year. ��


https://mobile.twitt...177801479802880

Please anyone who thinks Jack is showing disrespect towards Tiger PLEASE click on this link.  

This thread is fake news, a nothing burger, tabloid BS.

Callaway GBB
Callaway V Series 3w, HW
Callaway Steelhead 4 hybrid
Ping G 4-U
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54* SS
Vokey 58 M grind
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Jones Utility
Ball, KSig or a bunch of ProV's I won in a charity scramble.  
ECCO Biom Hybrid 3

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#251 Carl Spackler3

Carl Spackler3

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 136528
  • Joined: 08/15/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 488

Posted 11 January 2018 - 10:01 AM

He just can’t seem to be the statesman in golf, sad really. He had the best example in Arnold Palmer, just never seems to get it
Titleist 915 D2
Ping G 3 W
Ping G 5W
Ping G25 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 hot metal 5-GW
Vokey 52-08 sm4
Vokey 56-14 sm6
Odyssey White Hot RX2 ( but it better be careful)

11

#252 Hawkeye77

Hawkeye77

    The adventure begins!

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 14,904 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100868
  • Joined: 12/27/2009
  • Location:Iowa
GolfWRX Likes : 11282

Posted 11 January 2018 - 12:31 PM

View PostCarl Spackler3, on 11 January 2018 - 10:01 AM, said:

He just can’t seem to be the statesman in golf, sad really. He had the best example in Arnold Palmer, just never seems to get it

Thankfully children and families in need of medical care and many other worthy efforts have benefitted from the millions, yes millions, Jack and Barabara have given/generated/inspired - pretty good example.  He doesn't need to be on retainer for the Tour or promote it or "the game" and actually is heavily involved in two PGA Tour events, Arnold had Bay Hill, and plays (not meaning for fun, Arnold played all the time, Jack pretty much never except for certain events) and shows up for "official" stuff no less than Arnold did, but "golf" hasn't been his priority and he's made that clear forever, while still being a worthy elder statesman.

Everybody isn't the same, but no point saying either Jack or Arnold deserve criticism for how they've handled their own personal lives after their playing days were over.

Nothing sad about anything except that any part of the above needed explaining.  Lots of ways to show leadership and it's HIS life.

Hope current players follow his example in their later years.

Edited by Hawkeye77, 11 January 2018 - 02:04 PM.


12

#253 Hawkeye77

Hawkeye77

    The adventure begins!

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 14,904 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100868
  • Joined: 12/27/2009
  • Location:Iowa
GolfWRX Likes : 11282

Posted 11 January 2018 - 03:02 PM

And back to life's positives . . . . just a slight turn of the head to the right and I get to enjoy this canvas print on my office wall of a picture I took of Jack and Tom at the par 3 tourney at the '16 Masters!

Attached Thumbnails

  • Jack and Tom.JPG

Edited by Hawkeye77, 11 January 2018 - 03:03 PM.


13



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors