Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Freak accidents and bad luck on course

108 replies to this topic

#61 OLD_BONES

OLD_BONES

AKA Two_Putt

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,498 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 316443
  • Handicap:HIGH
  • Ebay ID:Par_Hunter
GolfWRX Likes : 647

Posted 12 December 2017 - 05:21 PM

I friend of mine a couple of years ago hit a iron from the fairway and the ball ricocheted off a rock and hit him in the eye. He had a couple of surgeries but is pretty much blind in that eye.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#62 hybrid25

hybrid25

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 434860
GolfWRX Likes : 706

Posted 12 December 2017 - 05:29 PM

I wouldn't call this a freak accident, more of bad luck. There is a nice course we play that has Hi voltage power lines running through one area of the course. On my Approach shot on that particular hole I hit a perfect shot that hit the power line and drop straight down. The rule on that course is replay the shot. Of course the first one was heading right for the pin and the replay shot wasn't that great.

#63 Mcgeeno

Mcgeeno

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 144643
  • Handicap:2.7
GolfWRX Likes : 1055

Posted 13 December 2017 - 03:25 AM

One member at our course hit his drive left on 18. Big swamp/marsh Area with a fence around it so people donít go in.

He attempts to hit his approach over the marsh to safety, skulls it into one of the posts and it bounced back and detached the retina from his left eye.

Real shame and a scary moment.

They made a local rule shortly after that you can pull your Ball beside the marsh due to safety concerns.

Thatís the weirdest Iíve heard of.

As far as me, I killed a Crow mid flight at the driving range. Right at the balls apex Iím looking up and it hits this big crow mid flight. The poor bird got knocked off kilter and tumbled down and went thud about a 100 yards out. I was mortified hahaha.

The guy who runs the range said there were dozens of Crows flying around for a few weeks after that Iím assuming they hold a grudge.

#64 Justsomeguy

Justsomeguy

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 743 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 412064
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 296

Posted 13 December 2017 - 04:00 AM

View PostMcgeeno, on 13 December 2017 - 03:25 AM, said:

One member at our course hit his drive left on 18. Big swamp/marsh Area with a fence around it so people donít go in.

He attempts to hit his approach over the marsh to safety, skulls it into one of the posts and it bounced back and detached the retina from his left eye.

Real shame and a scary moment.

They made a local rule shortly after that you can pull your Ball beside the marsh due to safety concerns.

Thatís the weirdest Iíve heard of.

As far as me, I killed a Crow mid flight at the driving range. Right at the balls apex Iím looking up and it hits this big crow mid flight. The poor bird got knocked off kilter and tumbled down and went thud about a 100 yards out. I was mortified hahaha.

The guy who runs the range said there were dozens of Crows flying around for a few weeks after that Iím assuming they hold a grudge.
Ton of crows at 2 close by munis in New Orleans. Apparently they really do have a collective memory. They actually remember people.
Titleist 915D3 9.5*, Diamana S+ Blue 60, R, @11*
Titleist 915F 15* Diamana S+ Blue 70, R
Titleist 915H 20* Diamana S+ Blue 70, R
Titleist 716 AP1 4-W52, Kuro Kage Tini 65, S
Cleveland CBX, 56*/12, Rotex Graphite Wedge Flex
Cleveland Smart Square Blade

#65 Jonesy

Jonesy

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,316 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 90848
GolfWRX Likes : 896

Posted 13 December 2017 - 08:37 AM

It didn't happen to me but;

Quite a few years ago at Beachwood there were a group of ladies teeing off on the 11th hole, as they were walking off the box a skydiver landed right in front of them... turns out he hit the tail of the aircraft after jumping out and was knocked unconscious... He wasn't even an inexperienced jumper, he was part of the military and had plenty jumps under his belt.

Beachwood borders onto a small airport and they were busy practicing their jumps for the upcoming airshow.

Callaway Optiforce 440 9.5*
Taylormade Rocketballz tour 18*
Mizuno MP H-4 2 iron
Callaway X Prototype 4 - PW
Cleveland 50* Mizuno 54* 58* MP-T11
Scotty Cameron Newport

#66 lumberman2462

lumberman2462

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,038 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 116473
  • Handicap:?
GolfWRX Likes : 2427

Posted 13 December 2017 - 08:50 AM

View Posthybrid25, on 12 December 2017 - 05:29 PM, said:

I wouldn't call this a freak accident, more of bad luck. There is a nice course we play that has Hi voltage power lines running through one area of the course. On my Approach shot on that particular hole I hit a perfect shot that hit the power line and drop straight down. The rule on that course is replay the shot. Of course the first one was heading right for the pin and the replay shot wasn't that great.

Was playing in a tournament once at a course that had the same power line setup on a reacheable par 5 ....those great big steel things with multiple lines.  Guy in my group was playing ok and he hit a line with his drive and another guy in the group told him he had to replay.  It turned into a fiasco.  He called for a rules official, argued, got mightily pissy and then when he finally hit another tee shot it was a miserable hook that went OB.  He went on to make double.

The worst part is that his original drive was in the fairway and he was going to be able to reach the green in 2....
SYard T388
                TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
                Miura CB-57 3-PW
                Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 57C, 60K
                                Old Titleist Blade

#67 bullie76

bullie76

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 121903
  • Handicap:9
GolfWRX Likes : 733

Posted 13 December 2017 - 09:15 AM

About 30 years ago I was really struggling with my irons and finally decided to get a lesson. The club pro made a couple of simple adjustments and I was hitting the ball great on the range. Afterward I was putting on the practice green when a couple of buddies came up and wanted to play a few holes. We headed out with them riding and myself walking. On hole #2 to speed up play, I jumped onto the back of their cart and rode up the fairway holding on with one hand and holding a beer in the other. You see where we're going here........yep as I jumped off the back I lost my balance and spun around backwards and fell. Shattered my right wrist knocking me out of golf all summer and into the fall. Never hit the ball as well as I did on the range after that lesson. Well.....not the rest of the year anyway. It was almost like starting over. :(

Edited by bullie76, 13 December 2017 - 09:16 AM.

My senior bag.......
Taylormade M2(2016) 9.5* driver reg
Taylormade RBZ 13* 3 wood reg
Adams TL2 - FW 16* 4 wood & 3,4 hybrids reg
Ping G 6-pw(power lofts), i200 U wedge(49*).....CFS graphite reg
Ping Glide 54/58 ss reg
Ping Craz-E putter

#68 Maffski22

Maffski22

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 463744
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 14 December 2017 - 04:05 AM

Hit a really nice lob shot with a brand new Vokey wedge Iíd bought, twirled the club, slipped out of my hand and whacked myself right on the ankle bone..... limped for 6 months and still hurts to the touch some 6 years later

Edited by Maffski22, 14 December 2017 - 04:07 AM.

#69 fillwelix

fillwelix

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 249866
GolfWRX Likes : 734

Posted 14 December 2017 - 08:44 AM

View PostMaffski22, on 14 December 2017 - 04:05 AM, said:

Hit a really nice lob shot with a brand new Vokey wedge I'd bought, twirled the club, slipped out of my hand and whacked myself right on the ankle bone..... limped for 6 months and still hurts to the touch some 6 years later

A while ago I was teaching junior golf, showing examples of bunker shots. Hit 5 or 6 to show and then give the kids a turn one at a time. Well, I step out of the bunker and knock off the sand from my shoes with the clubhead but I missed my shoes and hit square on my ankle with the leading edge. Instantly swelled up and hurt for about 4 or 5 weeks after.
WITB
Taylormade M2 2016 9.5*       Fuji Speeder Evolution IV 589 X
Taylormade M2 2016 3HL       PX HZRDUS Black 75g S
Taylormade M2 2017 3 h         MRC Kuro Kage TiNi 80g S
Taylormade P770 4i-5i             Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120 S
Taylormade P730 6-PW           Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120 S
Vokey SM6 50 57                     True Temper Dynamic Gold S200
Taylormade Hi-Toe 64               KBS Hi Rev Wedge
Byron Morgan DH89

#70 Silicon Valley Dale

Silicon Valley Dale

Advanced

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 487608
GolfWRX Likes : 163

Posted 14 December 2017 - 10:41 PM

Hey ankle pain guys.... that's called a broken bone. You might want to seek medical help. A minor bruise isn't going to hurt you for 6 years. An improperly healed broken bone might though. Even 4 weeks in, a bruise is a forgotten memory. Just trying to help and I get putting on your game face and/or manning up. Tough guys usually do that for the first week. 6 years of pain, maybe you should get an X-ray? You can even keep your man card since you suffered through it for 6 years. Heck, I'll even send you mine if it means you'll get it looked at. Wow.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#71 ChipNRun

ChipNRun

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 253750
GolfWRX Likes : 272

Posted 24 December 2017 - 08:11 PM

Non-metal spikes = injury

This goes back to early 1999, during the push to eliminate metal spikes in golf shoes.

My first pair of non-metals were nubbie spikes, with little bumps on the bottom of the plastic. I was taking a golf lesson, trying to post up better and my left foot gave way - the nubbies didn't hold very well. I did a standing split, tore my right groin muscle, and couldn't exercise at all for six weeks.

The season was pretty well over, and so were the nubbies. I hunted around for some more aggressive plastic spikes as replacements.
What's In The Bag *...

Driver:  Calla XR16 Pro 10.5° (set open) / Fuji Evolution II TS Speeder 665 R-flex 63 gr.
FWs: Tour Edge XRail 4W + 7W / GraphiteDesign G60 R-flex 60 gr.
  or Calla Alpha 815, set 16° + 20° / Fuji Motore Speeder 665 R-flex 62 gr.
Hybrid:  Cobra FlyZ 3H 19° + 4H 22° / Matrix VLCT Altus Lite flex 73 gr.
Irons: Calla X20 Tour 4i-9i / NS Pro 8950GH R-flex 97 gr.
Wedge:  Calla MD3 48°/8.SS + 54°/12.WS +  
MD.PM 60°/10 / KBS Tour R-flex 110 gr. |      
Putter:   Ping B60 / 34" w. Winn ProX 1.8 grip
Bag:   Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag
Ball:    Calla SuperSoft
   * Either 7W or 3H left out, depending on course.

#72 mlavallee23

mlavallee23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 391034
GolfWRX Likes : 27

Posted 26 December 2017 - 02:39 PM

In FL on a golf course that is also a preserve for wild animals,Harmony Golf Preserve, stepped on a mound of fire ants, from my ankle to my knee felt like it was on fire.

#73 LeftyLuck

LeftyLuck

Advanced Member

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 489376
GolfWRX Likes : 334

Posted 26 December 2017 - 03:04 PM

No one I told this yet has believed me, but I swear its true.
Being in the Tri-State, I have never worried about what was in the water or streams running along the fairways.
One day I found my ball on the edge of a small lake on a par 5. Not wanting to take a penalty, I took my shoes off and was about ankle high in the water.
I saw splashing about 20 feet away from me and looked up only to see a tail sink underneath the water. I got out of there as quick as I could needless to say.
I don't know if it was a gator or some weird, big snake or turtle, but I know what I saw was very out the ordinary.

Edited by LeftyLuck, 26 December 2017 - 03:09 PM.

#74 Stonewalled

Stonewalled

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,227 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 311179
  • Ebay ID:stonewalljim
GolfWRX Likes : 531

Posted 28 December 2017 - 09:43 PM

1- Had a friend hook a ball on a short par 3 and the ball hit a lady in the temple who was putting out on the next green. They carried the lady off, my friend was noticeably shaken and quit after a few more holes.

2-  A group of younger fellows i know had a stag at a local course. To many beers usually spells trouble. The best man was driving a cart and lost control, he put out his foot to try to stabilize the cart and ended up snapping both bones, nasty mess.

I had played that course a few days earlier and was driving cart 25, it was a rocket ship, figured it was to fast to be safe. When i was told of the accident, i asked if he was driving cart 25. Yup was his response.  Ouch.

3-  I was visiting Banff Springs Golf course one fall, there were lots of people on the fairways looking at the  Elk.  There were numerous females and one Buck. The buck was getting closer to us, a lady ahead of me got a little to close and the buck charged her. She was able to jump into some bushes to escape. The buck set his eyes on me and came charging, i was standing close to a big tree and was able keep the tree between me and its rack. I stayed pretty calm and didn't realize the seriousness of the situation until i overheard some guy pointing to me and telling his friend there's the guy the Elk almost killed.  

4-  A friend was telling me a story about him golfing at some exotic course and he was amazed at the number of balls he had found while looking for his lost ball.  As he came out of the bush with an arm full of balls a worker said i wouldn't go in those bushes those black mambas's are nasty this time of year.  Yikes.  He was very lucky that day.

#75 LeoLeo99

LeoLeo99

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,341 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 326383
GolfWRX Likes : 2083

Posted 28 December 2017 - 09:53 PM

View PostSilicon Valley Dale, on 14 December 2017 - 10:41 PM, said:

Hey ankle pain guys.... that's called a broken bone. You might want to seek medical help. A minor bruise isn't going to hurt you for 6 years. An improperly healed broken bone might though. Even 4 weeks in, a bruise is a forgotten memory. Just trying to help and I get putting on your game face and/or manning up. Tough guys usually do that for the first week. 6 years of pain, maybe you should get an X-ray? You can even keep your man card since you suffered through it for 6 years. Heck, I'll even send you mine if it means you'll get it looked at. Wow.

It only hurts if he touches it.  After 6 years, what is a Dr. going to be able to do for him?

#76 gretch

gretch

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 424868
GolfWRX Likes : 866

Posted 29 December 2017 - 03:53 PM

View Postaugustgolf, on 11 December 2017 - 08:59 PM, said:

DP4...I have a question for you:

If another name for a male sheep is a ram....

And another name for a mule is an a$$....

Then, why is a ram in the a$$ a goose...????

Your donkey ate my roosters legs.   What do you have now?

Sorry, that's probably a little too far...anyway...

As a teenager I was working at a course as cart/range boy.  I had a bad day.  We were allowed to pick the perimeter weeds with a golf club to both get a little practice in as well as get those buried balls.  It was a particularly slow day and while I was trying to hit these super lobs, the cart girl drove up.  Older and way out of my league but she would talk to me anyway, so I decided to show her my backwards lob.  You know the one that the ball flies over your head behind you?  Didn't quite get it that time.  Smacked the corner of my right eye socket just below the eyebrow. Split pretty good, but I just taped it up. (still have tiny scar) Anyway, Get it to stop bleeding, and go out later that day to round up some more lost range balls.  Take a whack at this ball buried in the brush and hit a paper wasp nest.  Was hit 4 times...one in the right cheek, the other 3 on the center and right side of my forehead.  Half of my head looked like the elephant man.

#77 RangerV

RangerV

My ProVís are frozen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 408510
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 46

Posted 29 December 2017 - 04:35 PM

I live in an area with a large amount of wolves. We were waiting in the fairway 100 yards out and the group on the green were all facing the front with their backs to the woods. A full grown wolf (these things are not small) walks out of the woods onto the back of the green. We start waving to get their attention and my buddy drives a cart straight across the green at the wolf to chase it away. Other group had no clue it was even there.  Only fair they bought the beers after the round

Edited by RangerV, 29 December 2017 - 04:36 PM.

2017 TM M2 w/ UST Elements Chrome 7f5t
2016 TM M2 3HL w/UST VTS Black 8X
Mizuno Mp FliHi Cut Muscle w/ TI DG X100
Mizuno Mp59 w/ TI DG X100
Titleist Vokey SM6 50* w/ DG s400
Titleist Vokey SM5 54/60* w/ DG s400
Bettinardi Studio Stock 16 w/ white Iomic

#78 KammaQwazi

KammaQwazi

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16731
  • Handicap:14.7
GolfWRX Likes : 134

Posted 29 December 2017 - 05:47 PM

A player on our JV 2 team got bit by a rattlesnake during a tournament.

I was playing in a tournament with a guy who got drilled by his ball hitting out of a bunker, it hit off an rock shelf that had showed up after a rain storm. It hit him on the wrist and he barely finished the round. Worst part was when we were telling the pro what happened, he ended up with a 2 shot penalty out of the deal. The 3 of us playing with him were more concerned with how hard he got hit, we never even considered a penalty for it. He didn't shoot very well after that, the swelling was pretty good.

I also got bit on the back of my ankle by a goose. They always hung around one of our two ponds on the course. It is right next to the green on the best spot to hit your 3rd on a par 5 from, so they generally area pain to most people who play that hole. They usually would hiss and rush at you when the goslings were around but usually stopped short. I ignored them and proceeded to continue to focus on my next shot.  It wasn't a bluff, turns out geese basically have a bunch of small teeth in their mouths, took awhile to get the bleeding to stop.

Edited by KammaQwazi, 29 December 2017 - 05:48 PM.

Titleist 915 D2 (9.5 degree) - UST ProForce V2 Stiff Shaft
Cobra King F8 3-4 Wood (16.0 degree setting)
Cobra King F7 3-4 Hybrid (21.5 degree setting)
Callaway Diablo Forged 4 Iron Thru P Wedge - Stock Steel Shafts
Titleist Spin Milled SM 6 50/8 degree
Titleist Spin Milled SM 5 54/10 degree and 58/8 Degree - Stock Steel Shafts
Odyssey White Ice Rossie (34")

#79 phil75070

phil75070

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1580
  • Handicap:3.6
GolfWRX Likes : 166

Posted 31 December 2017 - 12:42 PM

Broke my hook-of-hamate bone, slipped going down a hill and tried to break my fall and fractured my right forearm, stepped in a poorly maintained drainage hole and fractured my right leg just above the ankle - all while playing golf, fortunately not all in the same round!
Driver - Callaway Epic 10.5° w HZRDUS T800 R Flex set at N/S
4W - Callaway XR 16
5W - Callaway X2Hot
4H - Callaway XHot
5I-AW - Callaway Apex CF16 with Recoil F3 Shafts
SW - Callaway MD3 54°
LW - Callaway SureOut 58°
Putter - Odyssey O-Works #7 Tank
Ball - Callaway CS/CSX or Snell MTB (2017)

#80 Silicon Valley Dale

Silicon Valley Dale

Advanced

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2018 - 07:27 PM

Phil 75 something. You get to keep your man card. If one of the two had occurred after the other in the same round, you could collect all of them from the rest of us.

I've been pretty fortunate on the course and have only minor stories to tell. The few times I've been hit by balls haven't been anything serious. Minor bruises and none serious enough to even think of stopping the round or chasing the offending party with a 9iron. The closest I came to a calamity was this fall playing a mountain course. It was a cold wet day, windy too. All the leaves were coming down. One of the holes was a short par 4 that you teed off on a cliff, it went down an abyss and the fairway/green were back up at the same altitude. Fairway probably started at 200 yards out and the green was about 300. We hit our drives and got in the cart to start down the mountain. I was driving and taking it super slow. Even doing so wasn't enough. I couldn't ride the brake and didn't dare let off it either. We hit a particularly nasty curve and I lost control of the cart. A couple 360's later we gently nestled up against a tree with damage to neither cart nor person. Aside from the brown stains in our pants of course. I called the pro shop immediately and told them what happened and cautioned them to rethink that hole remaining open. I then found out we were the second group that that happened to that day but they wrote the first incident off since the guys had been been drinking heavily. They ended up shutting that hole down and issued everyone playing, including us a nine hole raincheck.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#81 jtudhsnae

jtudhsnae

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 80840
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 04 January 2018 - 02:17 PM

I was playing the 8th hole and my playing partner/friend was about 40 yards ahead of me looking for his ball. I told him I was going to hit a 3 wood. I hit it good and instead of stepping back, he steps into the shot and it hits him in the shoulder. Swells up really bad. He doesn't play anymore of the round and goes home after that, as I played the rest of the round.

I was playing with some friends on Friday after work, and there is a guy and gal driving up the cart path on the hole next to us. To turns to head to his ball, and as he turns, she falls out of the cart onto the cart path. We rush over there and call the ambulance and they take her to the hospital. She was in her 70s and was just ridding in the cart as he played. I talked to him next year and she was doing good after that.

#82 Jwin323

Jwin323

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 398184
  • Handicap:3-7
GolfWRX Likes : 860

Posted 04 January 2018 - 03:44 PM

60 yard approach on a par 4. Lob wedge shot hits the pin square and the ball rolls back to within a couple feet of me.

#83 spacefinger

spacefinger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 467366
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 04 January 2018 - 03:47 PM

1. While at Walking Stick in Pueblo, CO - my partner pushes his drive slightly into the deeper rough near the native.  As he's looking for the ball he stepped on a sunbathing rattlesnake. Luckily he jumped back as soon as he felt the ground move under his feet.   To this day he will not step foot anywhere near any native areas.

2. Playing a 9-hole twilight round in Colo Spgs last summer, the weather starts out great for 7 holes.  On the 8th hole green, the skies opened up and starts lightning/thundering like crazy.  We head to the "lightning shelter" near the next tee box (4 posts and a roof).  It's just pouring cats and dogs, the course begins to flood and we start joking around about dying on the course.   About 10 mins go by and I notice the cable from the lightning rod cable (cable leading from top of the rod and is supposed to be stuck deep in the ground) is completely pulled out of the ground and is laying in a puddle next to us.  After seeing this, we take our chances boogieing back to the club house.  As we are about maybe 200 yards from the shelter, lightning hits the rod above the shelter we were just under.  Had we not left, we probably both would have been crispy critters.

3. Guy on the next tee-box power slices his drive and hits my pushcart (that I am currently pushing).  The dude did yell fore.  Just by happenstance the beer cart was near his tee-box.  He bought me a beer, ran it over to me and profusely apologized.  

4. Got paired up with a couple randos to play a round at the muni.  One of the dudes misses a short birdie putt and proceeds to helicopter toss his putter without looking.  Putter hits my bag, bounces and I get smacked in the thigh with the grip.  I then walked over to him and told him straight to his face that if he didn't calm down and stop throwing clubs that I was going to beat the brakes off of him.  We finished the front 9 without incident and he left at the turn while me and other guy finished the 18.

5. Hail.  So many hail stories to just put one

#84 Silicon Valley Dale

Silicon Valley Dale

Advanced

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2018 - 11:04 PM

#2 is hairy. I guess all #2's are hairy but lightning freaks me out. I saw a kid in my youth get hit while we were playing baseball when the storm was still far enough away to not even think of calling the game yet. Luckily he pulled through. Even though it was well over 30 years ago I remember every second leading up to it and the minutes of the aftermath. One of the weirdest things about it, there was tornado sirens in the parking lot of the baseball complex. Literally the same second that he was hit, the tornado sirens started going off and I vividly remember seeing a funnel cloud behind our house as my parents drove me home. The kid that was hit was in the on deck circle right in front of the dugout and was a friend of mine. He had zero memory of it but would pretty much tremble in fright every time a dark cloud showed up in the sky the rest of the time we grew up together.  I hate lightning. I'm sure David K hates it more.

#85 fillwelix

fillwelix

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 249866
GolfWRX Likes : 734

Posted 25 January 2018 - 11:56 AM

View Postspacefinger, on 04 January 2018 - 03:47 PM, said:

1. While at Walking Stick in Pueblo, CO - my partner pushes his drive slightly into the deeper rough near the native.  As he's looking for the ball he stepped on a sunbathing rattlesnake. Luckily he jumped back as soon as he felt the ground move under his feet.   To this day he will not step foot anywhere near any native areas.

2. Playing a 9-hole twilight round in Colo Spgs last summer, the weather starts out great for 7 holes.  On the 8th hole green, the skies opened up and starts lightning/thundering like crazy.  We head to the "lightning shelter" near the next tee box (4 posts and a roof).  It's just pouring cats and dogs, the course begins to flood and we start joking around about dying on the course.   About 10 mins go by and I notice the cable from the lightning rod cable (cable leading from top of the rod and is supposed to be stuck deep in the ground) is completely pulled out of the ground and is laying in a puddle next to us.  After seeing this, we take our chances boogieing back to the club house.  As we are about maybe 200 yards from the shelter, lightning hits the rod above the shelter we were just under.  Had we not left, we probably both would have been crispy critters.

3. Guy on the next tee-box power slices his drive and hits my pushcart (that I am currently pushing).  The dude did yell fore.  Just by happenstance the beer cart was near his tee-box.  He bought me a beer, ran it over to me and profusely apologized.  

4. Got paired up with a couple randos to play a round at the muni.  One of the dudes misses a short birdie putt and proceeds to helicopter toss his putter without looking.  Putter hits my bag, bounces and I get smacked in the thigh with the grip.  I then walked over to him and told him straight to his face that if he didn't calm down and stop throwing clubs that I was going to beat the brakes off of him.  We finished the front 9 without incident and he left at the turn while me and other guy finished the 18.

5. Hail.  So many hail stories to just put one
+1 to lightning - that stuff is so scary it's nothing to joke about.

Hail on the other hand, that stuff is just ridiculous. Ice? In the summer? Cmon now...

WITB
Taylormade M2 2016 9.5*       Fuji Speeder Evolution IV 589 X
Taylormade M2 2016 3HL       PX HZRDUS Black 75g S
Taylormade M2 2017 3 h         MRC Kuro Kage TiNi 80g S
Taylormade P770 4i-5i             Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120 S
Taylormade P730 6-PW           Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120 S
Vokey SM6 50 57                     True Temper Dynamic Gold S200
Taylormade Hi-Toe 64               KBS Hi Rev Wedge
Byron Morgan DH89

#86 eHawleywood

eHawleywood

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 401744
GolfWRX Likes : 39

Posted 25 January 2018 - 02:14 PM

View Postfillwelix, on 14 December 2017 - 08:44 AM, said:

View PostMaffski22, on 14 December 2017 - 04:05 AM, said:

Hit a really nice lob shot with a brand new Vokey wedge I'd bought, twirled the club, slipped out of my hand and whacked myself right on the ankle bone..... limped for 6 months and still hurts to the touch some 6 years later

A while ago I was teaching junior golf, showing examples of bunker shots. Hit 5 or 6 to show and then give the kids a turn one at a time. Well, I step out of the bunker and knock off the sand from my shoes with the clubhead but I missed my shoes and hit square on my ankle with the leading edge. Instantly swelled up and hurt for about 4 or 5 weeks after.

I've done this FAR too many times to still have a habit of knocking sand off my shoes.  Usually I'd catch the achilles and just be sore for a few holes but every now and then I'd catch the ankle and be limping for a few days.  Haven't done it in a long time though

View PostStonewalled, on 28 December 2017 - 09:43 PM, said:

2-  A group of younger fellows i know had a stag at a local course. To many beers usually spells trouble. The best man was driving a cart and lost control, he put out his foot to try to stabilize the cart and ended up snapping both bones, nasty mess.

I used to hang my foot out the side of the cart.  Was playing somewhere new with pops and mindlessly swinging my foot along outside the cart.  Cart path came up on an area with railroad ties as curbs that i didn't see coming and my foot got popped at full speed.  Luckily, as it was swung backwards, so it just swung farther backwards scaring me and leaving a bruise, but if it had been in front of me that could have been very bad.  I try to stay fully inside the cart now.

View PostStonewalled, on 28 December 2017 - 09:43 PM, said:

to fast to be safe.

What? No such thing.

Edited by eHawleywood, 25 January 2018 - 02:25 PM.

Ping G LS 8 Aldila Rogue Silver 70x
Titleist 915F 3w
Mizuno MP-H5 2, 4 N.S.Pro 1150GS TS
Mizuno MP-25 5-P N.S.Pro 1150GS TS
Mizuno JPX850f GW, T7 56.14
Edel DVR/Bridgestone J15 60
Bettinardi Studio Stock #16

#87 arbitrage

arbitrage

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 26756
  • Ebay ID:brooksgolfer
GolfWRX Likes : 207

Posted 25 January 2018 - 03:10 PM

I have two freak stories:

- When I was working as a contractor, one of the managers in the office kept looking at me funny.  I asked another co-worker if I did anything wrong and he told me that the guy actually had a glass eye.  He lost his eye by standing too close when his friend was teeing up and got hit in the eye on the backswing.   Ouch...

- I was playing with my doctor buddy and we got stuck in a traffic jam on holes 15-17 (three consecutive par 3's).  17 is a short Par 3 over water. When you drive off, you have to go downhill and make a winding turn.  Apparently, one of the groups in front of us made the turn too quickly and the cart flipped on it's side, breaking the arm of the lady in drivers seat.  My friend, as a doctor, had to run up and take care of her until the ambulance showed up.
Driver: Callaway Epic SubZero - 12.5 Deg - GD Tour AD MT - 6S
5 Wood: Callaway Epic  Subzero- 17 Deg - Elements Chrome + - 7F4
Hybrid: Callaway Epic -  20 & 23 deg - Recoil 780 F5
Irons: Callaway Apex CF16 - 6i-SW - Recoil 110 F4
Wedge:Fourteen RM-21 - 58/12 - Recoil 110 F4
Putter: Taylormade Spider Tour Black #7 - 33"
Ball: Taylormade TP-x
Bag: Sun Mountain C-130 or Four5

#88 qwetz

qwetz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 467512
  • Ebay ID:ttije00.1
GolfWRX Likes : 29

Posted 25 January 2018 - 08:11 PM

yesterday, from 190 downhill par 3 i hit the flag about 2 feet up on the stick and left a divot just outside the lip of the cup. 30 foot birdie putt :(
M3 440 9* Whiteboard Flowerband 7x
G400 Stretch 3 Fujikura Rombax P95x
Mizuno MP-18 MMC Fli Hi 3i PX 6.5
Mizuno MP-18 SC 4-8 PX 6.5
Mizuno MP-18 MB 9-PW PX 6.5
Mizuno S18 50.07/54.08 PX 6.0
TM High Toe 60* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
Odyssey Versa #7CS

#89 RSinSG

RSinSG

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,637 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 300931
  • Handicap:4.8
  • Ebay ID:RSinPS
GolfWRX Likes : 2008

Posted 28 January 2018 - 01:21 AM

I have 3. All involve injury, but none of them too serious.

In a scramble one of my buds in a different group was there more for the beer than the golf. He was definitely golf cart DUI, but he was the more sober of the two. He was driving with his left leg / knee outside of the cart and while driving to his ball, he veered too close to a palm tree and caught the leg on the tree. He went to the hospital for a few stitches, but the nasty road (tree) rash covered the entire inside of his leg for weeks.

Not to be outdone, his partner who was now part of a threesome continued to play and consume beer. He figured it would be funny if he held a full beer and had one of the remaining guys hit it off of his hand with a driver. Of course the driver hit the can and his hand at the same time, and he went to the same ER to get stitches. The group finished as a twosome. Both guys made it back for the banquet.

Finally, I told this one before but it’s worth repeating. Unrelated to the drunk scramble, four of us were playing one day at Canyon South (now Indian Canyons) in Palm Springs. My main PP and I were still on the job, and the other two were retired LEO’s from our department. My PP was very hot headed in his youth, and he was famous for thrown clubs and broken shafts.

On a par 5, three of us had made it to the green, and my buddy was hacking his way in from 50 yards or so. After his 2nd or 3rd fluff shot, he tossed his wedge and unfortunately let it go in the wrong direction. The two retired guys were standing next to each other chatting and I was on the other side of the green from them. In surrealistic slow motion, I watched the wedge helicopter through the air. Before I could yell fore or duck or run, the club head hit one of the guys right in the jewels – a direct hit from probably 40 yards. He grabbed his crotch, and wordlessly fell over like Artie Johnson on Laugh In.

We were all stunned, and when he finally was able to stand he had a few choice words for my bud. The rest of the round was a little frosty.

It was a lesson learned as my bud has not thrown a club since, and that was 30+ years ago.
Ping G400 Tour AD DI6s
Ping G30 3 wood, 5 wood
Ben Hogan VTKR 21* hybrid
Ping G700 Irons 5-SW, Steel Fiber i95
Ping Glide 60* LW
Scotty Cameron Studio Blade (or) Scotty Cameron Fastback
Gamegolf
https://www.ledges.com/ Home course

#90 WidespreadPanic

WidespreadPanic

Wizard in the Corner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,580 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 425856
  • Handicap:1.1
GolfWRX Likes : 2480

Posted 28 January 2018 - 09:38 PM

Mine takes the cake. Very sad and very gruesome.

A guy I knew took a swing up against a tree, and his follow thru hit a branch. Club snapped in half, with one half going directly through his eye and into his brain. He died a day later. His brother got a hole in one next time he played that course.

Every time I have a shot near a tree I think about it.

Edited by WidespreadPanic, 28 January 2018 - 09:38 PM.

Taylormade M2 ('17) 10.5*
Cobra F7 15.5*
Taylormade M1 ('17) 19*
Mizuno MPH5 4i
Mizuno MP33 5-PW
Cleveland RTX 588 2.0 52**, 56**, 60**
Taylormade TP Red Ardmore 3
Taylormade TPx

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors