Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Playing Through Pain

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Hop&Stop

Hop&Stop

Lehigh University been very very good to me.

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9445
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 14 January 2006 - 09:05 AM

Sure everyone has played with the classic sore backs and painfully blistered hands.  But let's hear some of your other stories of more serious pain.
Today, I went to the driving range only a little over 24 hours after having two wisdom teeth removed.
Who else has something they'd like to share?
:)

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 Cameron Circle T

Cameron Circle T

The Doc

• Junior Mod Squad
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,991 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9050

Posted 14 January 2006 - 10:06 AM

Heh, i did that a couple weeks ago boy did it feel odd leaning over a ball.

My two worst, playing with some torn cartilage and ligaments bc the docs couldnt figure out what was going on and thought it was just normal pain but it was excruciating, actually played some solid golf bc i had to hit everything at like 75% so i didnt miss a fairway or a green, just a bunch of nice little pitched irons from everywhere.

Played with two broken feet, they hurt really badly after falling on the stairs but i assumed they were just bruised, so after a week i went out and tried to play but i absolutely just couldnt, turns out that after another set of 25 x rays or so the doc finally saw that i had a spider web crack in each heel and had chipped off pieces from the backs of each of my heels. so it kinda sucked had to take off golf for a whiiile.

#3 Hop&Stop

Hop&Stop

Lehigh University been very very good to me.

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9445

Posted 14 January 2006 - 12:19 PM

Wow, sounds like the broken feet or the torn cartilage would be a little tougher to contend with than the wisdom teeth.  I'll assume you had a cart at the least.  Or I hope so right? :)

#4 Gallery_flomarilius_*

Gallery_flomarilius_*
  • Guests
  •  
  • Member #: 0
GolfWRX Likes :

Posted 14 January 2006 - 12:48 PM

How about rehabing a orthoscoped knee?

#5 RRyders88

RRyders88

Tour Winner

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2914
  • Handicap:0.5
GolfWRX Likes : 15

Posted 14 January 2006 - 12:50 PM

sprained my ankle walking on the putting green in a school tournament, and didnt wanna let my team down by pulling out.
of course, the day it was a 6 hour round.

EEK

Titleist 913D3 7.5* w/ D+ 72 X Titleist 913fd 13.5* w/ D+ 82X Titleist 913hd 20* w/ D+ 102X 4-PW Titleist 712 MB X100 50, 56, 60 Wedgeworks California Chrome Select Newport 2 35"

#6 Gallery_saxman_*

Gallery_saxman_*
  • Guests
  •  
GolfWRX Likes :

Posted 14 January 2006 - 02:45 PM

View PostRRyders88, on Jan 14 2006, 08:50 AM, said:

sprained my ankle walking on the putting green in a school tournament, and didnt wanna let my team down by pulling out.
of course, the day it was a 6 hour round.

EEK
After having my left carotid artery operated on i was playing golf the next day....i did get a little dizzy in my back swing...and my left side of my neck was still numb and still is...shot 75 that day....bill... :)

#7 mizuno

mizuno

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1892
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 14 January 2006 - 03:22 PM

Two days before I was to play a round with a good friend I hit my left thumb solidly on the nail with a hammer while I was rebuilding a fence (the classic looked away while I swung the hammer).  Since we had not played in a few months and we were playing a course for the first time I was hesitant to cancel and figured I could just tough it out.  I quickly found out on the driving range while warming up that the pressure of my right hand on my left thumb while swinging and especially at impact was excruciating and making me flinch.  It was obvious that I was not going to be able to play with a conventional grip.  

After a little experimentation on the range I figured out that I could swing a club and hit the ball solidly with out pain and flinching by making a normal overlapping grip while holding my left thumb off the shaft and outside of my right hand.  I had to swing a little slower to avoid losing control of the club and I had to take more club because I was not hitting the ball my normal distances.  

The best part!  I still shot a 78 and I still beat my buddy to his dismay!

Edited by mizuno, 14 January 2006 - 03:23 PM.

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 10.5*
Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 816 16*
Big Bertha Alpha 815 20*
Mizuno MP32 4-PW
Titleist Vokey 52*, 56*, 60*
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1.5

#8 golfer_junior

golfer_junior

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3749
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 14 January 2006 - 08:08 PM

Hit in the face by some guy's drive, playing with a shoulder that kept popping in and out, played with a cholla cactus in my leg (cannot get some of the needles out without pliers).

#9 Gallery_flomarilius_*

Gallery_flomarilius_*
  • Guests
  •  
GolfWRX Likes :

Posted 14 January 2006 - 08:24 PM

oh man talking about getting hit. At districs we were on the 8th tee and this guy teed off and his rival schools player right in the chest. We couldnt stop laughing the group behind us caught up and they started laughing it took 20 mins to finish the hole.

#10 Lord Thomas

Lord Thomas

Resident Royal

• Junior Mod Squad
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4861

Posted 14 January 2006 - 08:29 PM

I have tendonitis in my left wrist, so when the tendon inflames, I can have a very painful round, but nothing compared to some of the stories you guys have.

-Thomas

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 GolferGal2009

GolferGal2009

about that....

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6992

Posted 14 January 2006 - 09:49 PM

This one girl was leaning over taking some tees out of her bag and my friend was just brushing the grass with her driver, not paying attention, and she accidently hit this girl in the head. She didn't get hurt but it was sooo funny.

#12 sync71

sync71

Major Winner

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,252 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7769

Posted 14 January 2006 - 10:22 PM

I've never had anything as serious as some of you. Just pulled muscles and I got my hand slammed in a locky I had to change my grip for a month.

#13 cjdrcc

cjdrcc

Advanced

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3992

Posted 15 January 2006 - 11:26 PM

Never played with any bad injuries. The most I ever had was a broken thumb on my left hand, but I don't really mind broken fingers because I've caught soo many foul tips in the hand during baseball games. Can't imagine playing after heart surgery, or having heart surgery for that matter. THAT is dedication to your sport.

#14 SCameron009

SCameron009

~WRX~!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6118
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 16 January 2006 - 01:45 PM

I have had a little bit of both, a few years ago, I had a pretty bad neck injury, and I started playing way too early, I mean I took it slow, but it was very painful for the first three months of swinging, because any movement of the neck or mid back shot a stinging pain all the way down my arm that got affected (through nerves) during the incident. On a little lighter yet more serious not, last thanksgiving I had heart surgery, and for the first few months of swinging, it was scary as hell because any little twist or rip that may happen during any strain or during any swing could cause the device that they put in to tear, and ultimately put me into cardiac arrest, or much more serious death. So that was pretty scary, not painful...anyway, like most of you at the beginning of every season I go through a time of blisters on my hands just developing callases for the year those first few range sessions are killers (I am thinking of throwing some winn grips on my clubs just for the first month of golf season, but who knows).

Oh, and anyone who works out on a regular basis, if you do a lot of failure reps the day before, it's pretty tough to get those muscles comfortable moving especially since the golf swing puts strain on almost every muscle in your upper body (pecs are killers!!)

- Bryan

#15 MrParr1Noid

MrParr1Noid

Golf is fun

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 6,659 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 382
  • Handicap:24
GolfWRX Likes : 303

Posted 16 January 2006 - 03:29 PM

View Posttimo_b, on Jan 16 2006, 02:53 PM, said:

Post edited due to content!

Since Golfwrx is a site with adults and the youth with both men and women, wouldn't you think it foolish of the adults on here to allow you to talk about drinking at such an young age?  I would. :blink:  :)

Edited by OakieISI, 16 January 2006 - 03:48 PM.

1 Club -- Adjustable
1 Ball -- Very Long

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors