Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Anything new coming from Game Golf?


58 replies to this topic

#31 3 Jack Par

3 Jack Par

    I only answer to "Ace" now

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 5,473 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 45414
  • Joined: 01/08/2008
  • Location:Metro Detroit
GolfWRX Likes : 1665

Posted 25 January 2018 - 01:21 PM

View PostFrankensteins Monster, on 25 January 2018 - 12:32 PM, said:

So you must have a FitBit in order for it to work?
I doubt that - I imagine that just means there will be some features that integrate with the Fitbit app.  I'm sure they wouldn't narrow their market by limiting it to a single fitness tracker's users.

Callaway BB Epic SubZero 8*, Aldila Rogue 125 70TX
Tour issue TaylorMade M2 Tour, 14.9*, Aldila Rogue 125 80TX
Srixon Z u45 18* Nippon Modus3 120x
Scratch SB-1 3-PW, Nippon Modus3 120x
Scratch FIT 53*/58*, DS grind, DG S400
Odyssey Works Tank Cruiser #1 38" or Byron Morgan DH89, 38", Carbon Black Ox, black shaft, Winn counterbalance grip

WITB Link

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#32 Bucken77

Bucken77

    Poor Mans Ho

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,110 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 78551
  • Joined: 03/28/2009
  • Location:Raleigh, North Carolina
  • Ebay ID:bucken77
GolfWRX Likes : 128

Posted 25 January 2018 - 08:48 PM

View PostFrankensteins Monster, on 25 January 2018 - 12:32 PM, said:

So you must have a FitBit in order for it to work?

No and sorry I guess I worded that poorly. The complete package looks to be some type of round wearable and then the tags. In one of the pictures that states it is integrated with Fitbit, it states it gets the GPS signal from the Fitbit. Maybe that means that if you have the Fitbit you don't need the circle thing? IDK
Titleist 913 D2/White Tie Stiff
Titleist 2-4H S+ Stiff
Titleist AP2 714 5-GW
Titleist SM4 52/58
Byron Morgan GSS DH-89
www.gamegolf.com/player/Chunkylover77

2

#33 Bucken77

Bucken77

    Poor Mans Ho

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,110 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 78551
  • Joined: 03/28/2009
  • Location:Raleigh, North Carolina
  • Ebay ID:bucken77
GolfWRX Likes : 128

Posted 25 January 2018 - 08:51 PM

This is the picture I am referring to.

Attached Thumbnails

  • 214d5fbea77eda04b971b72e32b3007d.jpg

Titleist 913 D2/White Tie Stiff
Titleist 2-4H S+ Stiff
Titleist AP2 714 5-GW
Titleist SM4 52/58
Byron Morgan GSS DH-89
www.gamegolf.com/player/Chunkylover77

3

#34 NoCaution

NoCaution

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 359029
  • Joined: 01/22/2015
  • Location:United States
GolfWRX Likes : 64

Posted 26 January 2018 - 02:23 AM

What's the point of announcing the thing if they're not going to give out any details? My live device has been buggy recently, so I'd kind of like to know if I should be holding out for the new one or not. They send out this email that looks like it's written by the laziest intern on the planet about how they're gonna announce v3 at the PGA show, and then... nothing but a couple of pictures? They're essentially silent on social media platforms too. It doesn't instill a ton of faith in the brand to be honest.
I'd certainly hate to be left out of the "WITB signature" thingy, so...

Cobra F8 Tour Length Driver 9.5° - Hzrdus Black 65 6.0
Cobra F8 3 Wood 14.5° - Hzrdus Black 65 6.0, 3/4 inch short
Cobra F8 4 Hybrid 22° - UST Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap Black F4, 1/2 inch short
Taylormade P790 5-AW Irons - KBS Tour FLT 120 S, 1/4 inch short
Edel 54°, 58°, and 62° Wedges - KBS Hi-Rev, with various mods and adjustments
Custom Black Machine M20 Putter - Matte Black Shaft and Skull Edition Superstroke Pistol GT Tour Grip
Bridgestone B330 RX Balls (or e6 if I start to lose too many that day)
Ogio Silencer bag for riding/pushcart or Jones Original bag for carrying
Bagboy Triswivel II for my fat @$$ to walk more
All clubs besides putter have MCC +4 standard grips, with the "Align" version on driver and fairway
Custom VW GTI plaid seat headcovers and towel
Asher Death Wish glove, obnoxious purple pants with a bright green belt, and a pentagram ball marker to irritate the old men who take everything WAY too seriously

4

#35 BigCat78

BigCat78

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 128000
  • Joined: 05/03/2011
  • Location:San Diego
  • Handicap:7
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 26 January 2018 - 09:17 AM

I would agree that the lack of information and shocking.  You would think they would be trying to hype up a new product to generate interest.  I've been looking for someone to review or get more info from the PGA show, but nothing.


5

#36 Frankensteins Monster

Frankensteins Monster

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,349 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 214901
  • Joined: 12/07/2012
GolfWRX Likes : 4742

Posted 26 January 2018 - 09:18 AM

View PostBucken77, on 25 January 2018 - 08:48 PM, said:

View PostFrankensteins Monster, on 25 January 2018 - 12:32 PM, said:

So you must have a FitBit in order for it to work?

No and sorry I guess I worded that poorly. The complete package looks to be some type of round wearable and then the tags. In one of the pictures that states it is integrated with Fitbit, it states it gets the GPS signal from the Fitbit. Maybe that means that if you have the Fitbit you don't need the circle thing? IDK

Ok. It probably means you can forgo the disk if you have the Iconic. If they make it Apple Watch compatible I may be interested.

6

#37 TM_HOYER

TM_HOYER

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,165 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 90581
  • Joined: 08/03/2009
  • Location:Georgia
GolfWRX Likes : 490

Posted 26 January 2018 - 09:53 AM

View PostNoCaution, on 26 January 2018 - 02:23 AM, said:

What's the point of announcing the thing if they're not going to give out any details? My live device has been buggy recently, so I'd kind of like to know if I should be holding out for the new one or not. They send out this email that looks like it's written by the laziest intern on the planet about how they're gonna announce v3 at the PGA show, and then... nothing but a couple of pictures? They're essentially silent on social media platforms too. It doesn't instill a ton of faith in the brand to be honest.

The point in announcing it now is to show it at the PGA Merchandise Show this week and talk with pros, retailers, and media about it.That email was to get people that were going to the show to stop by their booth so that could show all of the new features. We will probably get a lot more information within the next couple weeks. Give the Game Golf staff a chance to get back from the show and get some rest. I would expect the web site will be updated shortly to provide more information on the new features and how it is better that it's competitors..
Callaway Epic 10.5 driver w/ Fujikura Pro 62 Green Regular
Callaway Epic 3+ wood w/ Fujikura 72 Green Regular
Callaway Epic 5 & 7wood w/ Fujikura Pro 62 Green Regular
Callaway Epic 4 Hybrid w/ Fujikura 73h Pro Regular
Callaway Epic 5 - AW irons w/ Project X LZ 95 5.5 Softstepped
Callaway MD4 56 w/ Project X LZ 5.5
Toulon Design Atlanta
Callaway Chrome Soft

7

#38 Golfingdawg19

Golfingdawg19

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 354301
  • Joined: 12/27/2014
GolfWRX Likes : 170

Posted 26 January 2018 - 09:53 PM

I saw it today at the show and was very impressed. I didnít have the original game golf but the salesman said the key difference was not having to tag things each time. The data looked pretty impressive. He did say you had have the option to pay $5 a month and have access to additional features.

8

#39 BigCat78

BigCat78

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 128000
  • Joined: 05/03/2011
  • Location:San Diego
  • Handicap:7
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 27 January 2018 - 09:14 AM

View PostGolfingdawg19, on 26 January 2018 - 09:53 PM, said:

I saw it today at the show and was very impressed. I didn't have the original game golf but the salesman said the key difference was not having to tag things each time. The data looked pretty impressive. He did say you had have the option to pay $5 a month and have access to additional features.

Golfingdawg19 what were some of the key features that you saw and what kind of data are we looking at?  I've been kicking around picking up a unit with the price drop, just trying to determine if I should hold off a bit.

9

#40 Golfingdawg19

Golfingdawg19

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 354301
  • Joined: 12/27/2014
GolfWRX Likes : 170

Posted 27 January 2018 - 09:28 AM

The main thing was you didnít have to click anything before hit a shot. There is a device that you either wear or put in your bag. As far as the data, the guy said it was the same as the old one. I didnít have the old one so Iím not sure. What I saw was it collected the data and tracked trends. It could tell you where you gained and lost strokes from previous rounds. That data could be used to help you know what areas of your game to work on. My sons golf instructor can create a free account and be notified anytime he logs a round in and see the data.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#41 BigCat78

BigCat78

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 128000
  • Joined: 05/03/2011
  • Location:San Diego
  • Handicap:7
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 27 January 2018 - 10:06 AM

View PostGolfingdawg19, on 27 January 2018 - 09:28 AM, said:

The main thing was you didn't have to click anything before hit a shot. There is a device that you either wear or put in your bag. As far as the data, the guy said it was the same as the old one. I didn't have the old one so I'm not sure. What I saw was it collected the data and tracked trends. It could tell you where you gained and lost strokes from previous rounds. That data could be used to help you know what areas of your game to work on. My sons golf instructor can create a free account and be notified anytime he logs a round in and see the data.

Very interesting, thanks for the info.

11

#42 DonOmar

DonOmar

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 399424
  • Joined: 10/13/2015
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 27 January 2018 - 10:34 AM

So far Game Golf Pro seems to address all my main issues with shot trackers until this point. Arrcos tags are green/noticeable and you need your phone. Shot Scope you need to wear the watch, and the previous Game Golf requires a bright red thing on your belt. I've been waiting for something less conspicuous that doesn't require tagging (hopefully the rest of the foursome doesn't notice). If this works out as expected, you can have my money now.

I will say the only thing that I would hope for the the future, is for GGP to have a shot scope type feature for tagging the flag location. Which in reality is the last thing on my checklist because logistically it could be awkward to walk over to the flag after every hole  and tag something.

12

#43 BigCat78

BigCat78

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 128000
  • Joined: 05/03/2011
  • Location:San Diego
  • Handicap:7
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 27 January 2018 - 10:57 AM

I think that may be the hardest thing to do.  I can't see them doing anything with pin positions other than tagging them.

Edited by BigCat78, 27 January 2018 - 10:58 AM.


13

#44 North Butte

North Butte

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,861 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 424472
  • Joined: 05/09/2016
GolfWRX Likes : 6958

Posted 27 January 2018 - 11:03 AM

View PostBigCat78, on 27 January 2018 - 10:57 AM, said:

I think that may be the hardest thing to do.  I can't see them doing anything with pin positions other than tagging them.

Completely agree.


Also, their are maps fundamentally do not distinguish between obstructed shots versus ones in the rough. So they are never going to be able to do usable strokes gained calculations for Off the Tee and Approach the Green.
Everything has its drawbacks, as the man said when his mother-in-law died, and they came down upon him for the funeral expenses.

14

#45 Golfingdawg19

Golfingdawg19

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 354301
  • Joined: 12/27/2014
GolfWRX Likes : 170

Posted 27 January 2018 - 05:32 PM

The rep told me the price on it would be $299 when it came out in April.


15

#46 3 Jack Par

3 Jack Par

    I only answer to "Ace" now

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 5,473 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 45414
  • Joined: 01/08/2008
  • Location:Metro Detroit
GolfWRX Likes : 1665

Posted 27 January 2018 - 10:59 PM

View PostGolfingdawg19, on 27 January 2018 - 05:32 PM, said:

The rep told me the price on it would be $299 when it came out in April.
Yikes, thatís pretty steep
Callaway BB Epic SubZero 8*, Aldila Rogue 125 70TX
Tour issue TaylorMade M2 Tour, 14.9*, Aldila Rogue 125 80TX
Srixon Z u45 18* Nippon Modus3 120x
Scratch SB-1 3-PW, Nippon Modus3 120x
Scratch FIT 53*/58*, DS grind, DG S400
Odyssey Works Tank Cruiser #1 38" or Byron Morgan DH89, 38", Carbon Black Ox, black shaft, Winn counterbalance grip

WITB Link

16

#47 dcmidnight

dcmidnight

    Major Winner

  • Marshals
  • 3,296 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 18357
  • Joined: 08/24/2006
  • Location:NH native stuck in Northern Virginia
  • Handicap:6.1

Posted 28 January 2018 - 12:25 PM

View PostBigCat78, on 27 January 2018 - 10:57 AM, said:

I think that may be the hardest thing to do.  I can't see them doing anything with pin positions other than tagging them.

The easiest thing for them to have done years ago would be to allow for manual entry of the putt length. If you really want to track strokes gained, it would be easy to pace a putt off and give it the approximate length. After the round when you are moving the pin you could say ok I had a 20 foot putt and a 3 foot putt.

Otherwise the putt tagging and pin placing has such a margin of error that it really makes it almost useless.

Personally GG takes on sort of a SkyGolf rep with me though. The two+ seasons I used it the company was so unresponsive and made so few updates that the last thing I want to do is give them *more* money and just, you know, trust that this time around will be different.

This is one of those things I would check out next year if it turns out that they did everything right.
M3 9.5 - AD-DI6x Black
M4 3W - AD-DI6s Black
Epic 3h - GD Tour ADs / Epic 3i - Steelfiber 95s
Cobra F8 One Length 5-GW - Steelfiber 110s
TM Milled Grind 54* / Hi Toe 60*
Toulon Indy 35" / TM TP5

17

#48 TM_HOYER

TM_HOYER

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,165 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 90581
  • Joined: 08/03/2009
  • Location:Georgia
GolfWRX Likes : 490

Posted 29 January 2018 - 08:22 AM

View Postdcmidnight, on 28 January 2018 - 12:25 PM, said:

View PostBigCat78, on 27 January 2018 - 10:57 AM, said:

I think that may be the hardest thing to do.  I can't see them doing anything with pin positions other than tagging them.

The easiest thing for them to have done years ago would be to allow for manual entry of the putt length. If you really want to track strokes gained, it would be easy to pace a putt off and give it the approximate length. After the round when you are moving the pin you could say ok I had a 20 foot putt and a 3 foot putt.

Otherwise the putt tagging and pin placing has such a margin of error that it really makes it almost useless.

Personally GG takes on sort of a SkyGolf rep with me though. The two+ seasons I used it the company was so unresponsive and made so few updates that the last thing I want to do is give them *more* money and just, you know, trust that this time around will be different.

This is one of those things I would check out next year if it turns out that they did everything right.

I would think the easiest way to do it would be the last tag is the pin position when you take the ball out of the hole. Myself, I am more interested with the average distance of each club. With the state of my game, everything could use improvement, so strokes gained is not a big deal to me as it would be for a better player. I like that I can get true yardages using my ball instead of a launch monitor yardage using range balls.
Callaway Epic 10.5 driver w/ Fujikura Pro 62 Green Regular
Callaway Epic 3+ wood w/ Fujikura 72 Green Regular
Callaway Epic 5 & 7wood w/ Fujikura Pro 62 Green Regular
Callaway Epic 4 Hybrid w/ Fujikura 73h Pro Regular
Callaway Epic 5 - AW irons w/ Project X LZ 95 5.5 Softstepped
Callaway MD4 56 w/ Project X LZ 5.5
Toulon Design Atlanta
Callaway Chrome Soft

18

#49 North Butte

North Butte

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,861 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 424472
  • Joined: 05/09/2016
GolfWRX Likes : 6958

Posted 29 January 2018 - 08:52 AM

View PostTM_HOYER, on 29 January 2018 - 08:22 AM, said:

View Postdcmidnight, on 28 January 2018 - 12:25 PM, said:

View PostBigCat78, on 27 January 2018 - 10:57 AM, said:

I think that may be the hardest thing to do.  I can't see them doing anything with pin positions other than tagging them.

The easiest thing for them to have done years ago would be to allow for manual entry of the putt length. If you really want to track strokes gained, it would be easy to pace a putt off and give it the approximate length. After the round when you are moving the pin you could say ok I had a 20 foot putt and a 3 foot putt.

Otherwise the putt tagging and pin placing has such a margin of error that it really makes it almost useless.

Personally GG takes on sort of a SkyGolf rep with me though. The two+ seasons I used it the company was so unresponsive and made so few updates that the last thing I want to do is give them *more* money and just, you know, trust that this time around will be different.

This is one of those things I would check out next year if it turns out that they did everything right.

I would think the easiest way to do it would be the last tag is the pin position when you take the ball out of the hole. Myself, I am more interested with the average distance of each club. With the state of my game, everything could use improvement, so strokes gained is not a big deal to me as it would be for a better player. I like that I can get true yardages using my ball instead of a launch monitor yardage using range balls.

The key feature IMO of Game Golf is the charting of distance and direction (from an assumed center-line) of lots and lots of full-swing shots with all your clubs. If that is something worth the slight expense of a Game Golf Classic/Live plus the effort of tagging and editing then it is a great product.

It just is not and as far as I can tell will never be a valid tool for analyzing your scoring tendencies and identifying areas of improvement. If they simply did not compute a pseudo-Strokes-Gained and advertise it as the real thing I would 100% endorse the product. As it is, the deceptive nature of the (often incorrect) Strokes Gained stats are a major drawback.

Nothing about the new no-tagging, more expensive unit will remedy the problem with their "analytics" but it will offer a way to spend some money up front and avoid the whole tagging thing. The post-round editing will always be required, though.
Everything has its drawbacks, as the man said when his mother-in-law died, and they came down upon him for the funeral expenses.

19

#50 3 Jack Par

3 Jack Par

    I only answer to "Ace" now

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 5,473 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 45414
  • Joined: 01/08/2008
  • Location:Metro Detroit
GolfWRX Likes : 1665

Posted 29 January 2018 - 09:39 AM

If I were to start using GG again, I think I'd try to remember to bring a piece of paper with me with 18 circles drawn on it, and mark the location of the flag on each green. Then, during the post-round editing, I'd be able to edit the location of each hole. Hopefully the system would catch all of the putts, and by setting the hole location in the round editor, you'd be able to get reasonably accurate putting stats.

Callaway BB Epic SubZero 8*, Aldila Rogue 125 70TX
Tour issue TaylorMade M2 Tour, 14.9*, Aldila Rogue 125 80TX
Srixon Z u45 18* Nippon Modus3 120x
Scratch SB-1 3-PW, Nippon Modus3 120x
Scratch FIT 53*/58*, DS grind, DG S400
Odyssey Works Tank Cruiser #1 38" or Byron Morgan DH89, 38", Carbon Black Ox, black shaft, Winn counterbalance grip

WITB Link

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#51 North Butte

North Butte

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,861 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 424472
  • Joined: 05/09/2016
GolfWRX Likes : 6958

Posted 29 January 2018 - 09:44 AM

View Post3 Jack Par, on 29 January 2018 - 09:39 AM, said:

If I were to start using GG again, I think I'd try to remember to bring a piece of paper with me with 18 circles drawn on it, and mark the location of the flag on each green. Then, during the post-round editing, I'd be able to edit the location of each hole. Hopefully the system would catch all of the putts, and by setting the hole location in the round editor, you'd be able to get reasonably accurate putting stats.

But isn't that far too much work to do all that note-taking and then still have to tag and post-round edit everything?
Everything has its drawbacks, as the man said when his mother-in-law died, and they came down upon him for the funeral expenses.

21

#52 3 Jack Par

3 Jack Par

    I only answer to "Ace" now

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 5,473 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 45414
  • Joined: 01/08/2008
  • Location:Metro Detroit
GolfWRX Likes : 1665

Posted 29 January 2018 - 09:57 AM

View PostNorth Butte, on 29 January 2018 - 09:44 AM, said:

View Post3 Jack Par, on 29 January 2018 - 09:39 AM, said:

If I were to start using GG again, I think I'd try to remember to bring a piece of paper with me with 18 circles drawn on it, and mark the location of the flag on each green. Then, during the post-round editing, I'd be able to edit the location of each hole. Hopefully the system would catch all of the putts, and by setting the hole location in the round editor, you'd be able to get reasonably accurate putting stats.

But isn't that far too much work to do all that note-taking and then still have to tag and post-round edit everything?
It seems like it would only take a few seconds after each hole to note the location on the sheet, and if the shot tracking is accurate by the system (this is key), all you'd need to do is set the hole locations in the round editor, which shouldn't take too long. It's more effort than none, for sure, but I don't know how you'd avoid having to set the hole location with any tracking system.
Callaway BB Epic SubZero 8*, Aldila Rogue 125 70TX
Tour issue TaylorMade M2 Tour, 14.9*, Aldila Rogue 125 80TX
Srixon Z u45 18* Nippon Modus3 120x
Scratch SB-1 3-PW, Nippon Modus3 120x
Scratch FIT 53*/58*, DS grind, DG S400
Odyssey Works Tank Cruiser #1 38" or Byron Morgan DH89, 38", Carbon Black Ox, black shaft, Winn counterbalance grip

WITB Link

22

#53 manhattan01

manhattan01

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 60244
  • Joined: 07/11/2008
  • Location:Vancouver, BC
  • Ebay ID:spencer30
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 04 February 2018 - 01:37 AM

I just stumbled across the GG pro and I'm pretty excited just because the thing is black. So tired of having to cover up that red device on my belt.

I always thought that it'd be relatively simple to program the last tap with the putter to determine where the hole is. So, on a two put, you're tapping 3 times with the last tap for when you retrieve your ball. Yes...that means you're having to pull out your putter on a chip on or those pesky whole in ones but hey, that's the type of round editing I do not mind.

Edited by manhattan01, 04 February 2018 - 01:38 AM.


23

#54 msoderma

msoderma

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 47989
  • Joined: 02/04/2008
  • Location:Sweden
  • Handicap:5
GolfWRX Likes : 22

Posted 05 February 2018 - 03:38 AM

View Postmanhattan01, on 04 February 2018 - 01:37 AM, said:

I just stumbled across the GG pro and I'm pretty excited just because the thing is black. So tired of having to cover up that red device on my belt.

I always thought that it'd be relatively simple to program the last tap with the putter to determine where the hole is. So, on a two put, you're tapping 3 times with the last tap for when you retrieve your ball. Yes...that means you're having to pull out your putter on a chip on or those pesky whole in ones but hey, that's the type of round editing I do not mind.
The GG Pro should be able to be left in your bag, isn't it? So that means not only is it black, it's hidden out of sight... I too am looking forward to this iteration. Still hoping for better use of the collected data, though.

On the issue of hole location: What I would do, if I were GG, would be to make a separate "tag" in the shape of a large poker chip or such, solidly made and "luxurious" enough so you a) don't mind using it and b) is wary of losing it. The poker chip would have a "button", i.e. I use it as a ball marker up until I have sunk the putt - at the hole, I squeeze the chip, and presto! GG has the location sorted.
D: Titleist 913D2 - 3W: Callaway X2 Hot Deep - 3H: Titleist 913H - Irons: Wilson Staff FG Tour V2 - Wedges: Mizuno MP-T - Putter: Rife Aussie Blade
Profile @gamegolf

24

#55 Frankensteins Monster

Frankensteins Monster

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,349 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 214901
  • Joined: 12/07/2012
GolfWRX Likes : 4742

Posted 05 February 2018 - 03:34 PM

View Postmsoderma, on 05 February 2018 - 03:38 AM, said:

View Postmanhattan01, on 04 February 2018 - 01:37 AM, said:

I just stumbled across the GG pro and I'm pretty excited just because the thing is black. So tired of having to cover up that red device on my belt.

I always thought that it'd be relatively simple to program the last tap with the putter to determine where the hole is. So, on a two put, you're tapping 3 times with the last tap for when you retrieve your ball. Yes...that means you're having to pull out your putter on a chip on or those pesky whole in ones but hey, that's the type of round editing I do not mind.
The GG Pro should be able to be left in your bag, isn't it? So that means not only is it black, it's hidden out of sight... I too am looking forward to this iteration. Still hoping for better use of the collected data, though.

On the issue of hole location: What I would do, if I were GG, would be to make a separate "tag" in the shape of a large poker chip or such, solidly made and "luxurious" enough so you a) don't mind using it and b) is wary of losing it. The poker chip would have a "button", i.e. I use it as a ball marker up until I have sunk the putt - at the hole, I squeeze the chip, and presto! GG has the location sorted.

GG Pro needs to be on your person. How would it be able to mark your location?


25

#56 joker2

joker2

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 268878
  • Joined: 08/06/2013
  • Location:Earth
GolfWRX Likes : 180

Posted 06 February 2018 - 02:49 AM

View Postdcmidnight, on 28 January 2018 - 12:25 PM, said:

View PostBigCat78, on 27 January 2018 - 10:57 AM, said:

I think that may be the hardest thing to do.  I can't see them doing anything with pin positions other than tagging them.

The easiest thing for them to have done years ago would be to allow for manual entry of the putt length. If you really want to track strokes gained, it would be easy to pace a putt off and give it the approximate length. After the round when you are moving the pin you could say ok I had a 20 foot putt and a 3 foot putt.

Otherwise the putt tagging and pin placing has such a margin of error that it really makes it almost useless.

Personally GG takes on sort of a SkyGolf rep with me though. The two+ seasons I used it the company was so unresponsive and made so few updates that the last thing I want to do is give them *more* money and just, you know, trust that this time around will be different.

This is one of those things I would check out next year if it turns out that they did everything right.

My round pro (free from Taylormade) let's you input putt distances manually.

Edited by joker2, 06 February 2018 - 02:50 AM.

Just say'in...

26

#57 jacobEDGE

jacobEDGE

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 446572
  • Joined: 11/15/2016
  • Location:Denver, CO
  • Handicap:3.9
GolfWRX Likes : 1203

Posted 09 February 2018 - 09:55 AM

Those tags for the end of the club are much too bulky. As someone that already plays 1/2" short clubs, that'd just make it feel like they've returned to standard length and I'm choking down. Way not into it.

Hell, I don't even have Game Golf Live. I still use the original unit. And I don't have the tags on any of my clubs. I broke off the post that screws down into the grip, keep one small red chip in my pocket, and use that to tag every club. Then when I get home I edit 100% of my club selection on my computer.

Doesn't bother me at all. I love Game Golf. The no tagging thing doesn't do anything for me, as I don't mind tagging. But bulkier ends on my grips? No thanks.

27

#58 redrover69

redrover69

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 471454
  • Joined: 06/15/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 09 February 2018 - 02:44 PM

View PostjacobEDGE, on 09 February 2018 - 09:55 AM, said:

Those tags for the end of the club are much too bulky. As someone that already plays 1/2" short clubs, that'd just make it feel like they've returned to standard length and I'm choking down. Way not into it.

Hell, I don't even have Game Golf Live. I still use the original unit. And I don't have the tags on any of my clubs. I broke off the post that screws down into the grip, keep one small red chip in my pocket, and use that to tag every club. Then when I get home I edit 100% of my club selection on my computer.

Doesn't bother me at all. I love Game Golf. The no tagging thing doesn't do anything for me, as I don't mind tagging. But bulkier ends on my grips? No thanks.

Just use the iPhone app without the tags on the end of the clubs...

Or use your Apple Watch...works decently for me.

28

#59 jacobEDGE

jacobEDGE

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 446572
  • Joined: 11/15/2016
  • Location:Denver, CO
  • Handicap:3.9
GolfWRX Likes : 1203

Posted 09 February 2018 - 04:01 PM

View Postredrover69, on 09 February 2018 - 02:44 PM, said:

View PostjacobEDGE, on 09 February 2018 - 09:55 AM, said:

Those tags for the end of the club are much too bulky. As someone that already plays 1/2" short clubs, that'd just make it feel like they've returned to standard length and I'm choking down. Way not into it.

Hell, I don't even have Game Golf Live. I still use the original unit. And I don't have the tags on any of my clubs. I broke off the post that screws down into the grip, keep one small red chip in my pocket, and use that to tag every club. Then when I get home I edit 100% of my club selection on my computer.

Doesn't bother me at all. I love Game Golf. The no tagging thing doesn't do anything for me, as I don't mind tagging. But bulkier ends on my grips? No thanks.

Just use the iPhone app without the tags on the end of the clubs...

Or use your Apple Watch...works decently for me.

I always forget you can just do it directly on the phone without the tags. I also sold my Apple Watch. Thing wouldn't work with my tattoo. :(

29



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors