Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Junior Golf Shoes

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 wildcatden

wildcatden

China Cat Sunflower

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 481904
GolfWRX Likes : 110

Posted 04 December 2017 - 10:12 PM

What's your junior's favorite golf shoes these days? My kid is 7 and needs a new pair (wore out the old Tiger Woods spikeless shoes).

Golf shoe selection for younger kids is a limited. I think I would like him to wear spiked golf shoes which seems to limit selection even more.  What's the shoe d'jour these days?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 hangontight

hangontight

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 477968
GolfWRX Likes : 27

Posted 04 December 2017 - 10:47 PM

View Postwildcatden, on 04 December 2017 - 10:12 PM, said:

What's your junior's favorite golf shoes these days? My kid is 7 and needs a new pair (wore out the old Tiger Woods spikeless shoes).

Golf shoe selection for younger kids is a limited. I think I would like him to wear spiked golf shoes which seems to limit selection even more.  What's the shoe d'jour these days?

FJ pro SL Junior.  My son is 7.  Recently replaced his previous pair of FJ's. Seems to like them, no complaints about comfort at all and seem to be decently waterproof- although we have not played in real rain yet with them.  Was going bargain hunting when found the display pair at Dicks for $39 brand new.  

Why spikes over spikeless?

#3 wildcatden

wildcatden

China Cat Sunflower

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2017 - 10:56 PM

View Posthangontight, on 04 December 2017 - 10:47 PM, said:

FJ pro SL Junior.  My son is 7.  Recently replaced his previous pair of FJ's. Seems to like them, no complaints about comfort at all and seem to be decently waterproof- although we have not played in real rain yet with them.  Was going bargain hunting when found the display pair at Dicks for $39 brand new.  

He wore out the spikeless Tiger Woods shoes he had. Literally the "spikes" are flat/worn-down-to the bottom of the shoe.  I'm also of the opinion that the spike shoes can provide more grip and this can equate to more power.  I'm headed into "off season" with him (no tournaments only practice some while playing other sports like tennis/basketball/baseball). However, I am looking to get him to increase his driver distance during this time (needs to start moving up to the next distances in the 130-160 yard range.)  I'm certainly open to suggestions. Thanks for your help.

Edited by wildcatden, 04 December 2017 - 10:57 PM.

#4 hangontight

hangontight

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2017 - 05:47 AM

View Postwildcatden, on 04 December 2017 - 10:56 PM, said:

He wore out the spikeless Tiger Woods shoes he had. Literally the "spikes" are flat/worn-down-to the bottom of the shoe.  I'm also of the opinion that the spike shoes can provide more grip and this can equate to more power.  I'm headed into "off season" with him (no tournaments only practice some while playing other sports like tennis/basketball/baseball). However, I am looking to get him to increase his driver distance during this time (needs to start moving up to the next distances in the 130-160 yard range.)  I'm certainly open to suggestions. Thanks for your help.

Got it, makes sense.  For what it's worth on the durability- he wore his previous FJ's (apikeless) a Ton for a year and a half.  He put some wear on the treads but never got to a point of unplayability or sacrificing grip.  I've never had Nike's, always FJ- both Jr. FJ's he has had seem to have the same quality and craftsmanship as the adult versions. Nothing crap or "kiddy" about them. They hold up well.  Also, you know how they grow at this age, he may outgrow a pair before he can even wear them out.

#5 hangontight

hangontight

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2017 - 06:07 AM

View Postwildcatden, on 04 December 2017 - 10:56 PM, said:

Got it, makes sense.  For what it's worth on the durability- he wore his previous FJ's (apikeless) a Ton for a year and a half.  He put some wear on the treads but never got to a point of unplayability or sacrificing grip.  I've never had Nike's, always FJ- both Jr. FJ's he has had seem to have the same quality and craftsmanship as the adult versions. Nothing crap or "kiddy" about them. They hold up well.  Also, you know how they grow at this age, he may outgrow a pair before he can even wear them out.

#6 leezer99

leezer99

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
GolfWRX Likes : 250

Posted 05 December 2017 - 08:47 AM

My son has the Adidas-Adipower Boa Shoes and loves them.  Boa tech is the real deal.

#7 Golfingdawg19

Golfingdawg19

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 354301
GolfWRX Likes : 52

Posted 05 December 2017 - 09:06 AM

View Postleezer99, on 05 December 2017 - 08:47 AM, said:

My son has the Adidas-Adipower Boa Shoes and loves them.  Boa tech is the real deal.

I just ordered a pair of the Adidas- Adipower Boa shoes for my daughter who is 10. The idea of not having to deal with shoe laces is wonderful. My son who is 11 has a pair and loves them so my daughter asked for some for Christmas.

#8 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
GolfWRX Likes : 985

Posted 05 December 2017 - 09:31 AM

My son has that shoe.  Likes the shoe, does not like the BOA.  Can't get them tight enough for him.

#9 leezer99

leezer99

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2017 - 09:42 AM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 05 December 2017 - 09:31 AM, said:

My son has that shoe.  Likes the shoe, does not like the BOA.  Can't get them tight enough for him.

We're pretty laid back here...

#10 jayce

jayce

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 348817
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 05 December 2017 - 09:45 AM

My son just moved into men's golf shoes. He mostly work FJ junior shoes.  Granted, there are many more options, but I wish we could go back to junior golf shoes!!! He outgrows shoes every three to four months these days.

Edited by jayce, 05 December 2017 - 11:39 AM.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 wildcatden

wildcatden

China Cat Sunflower

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2017 - 11:26 AM

Thanks for the feedback. I like the cleat layout on the FootJoy and Adidas AdiZero (and AdiPower BOA) shoes.  For some reason, I'm not sure I want the BOA setup....perhaps because we tend to buy the shoe a little big for him to grow into them....not sure I could get them tight enough.

The PUMA junior shoes with cleats look good, but the cleat layout I don't like (needs the 6th cleat if you ask me).

Anybody have the Adidas AdiZero's?

Edited by wildcatden, 05 December 2017 - 11:26 AM.

#12 MikekiM

MikekiM

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 415850
GolfWRX Likes : 31

Posted 05 December 2017 - 11:33 AM

Good to know, actually just ordered some last night.  Odd timing on this thread.
Taylor Made R15
Ping G25
Taylor Made Jetspeed Hybrid
Titleist T-MB
Titleist 716 CB
Titleist Vokey SM6
Scotty Cameron Newport
K-Sig Ball

#13 kekoa

kekoa

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 7,500 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66944
  • Handicap:4-20
GolfWRX Likes : 1393

Posted 05 December 2017 - 03:00 PM

Another vote for adipower BOA.  Bought my son both colors...

#14 propredicr

propredicr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15190
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 05 December 2017 - 04:53 PM

Son just finished with his third pair of FJ Jr DNA.  Had both the black and the white spikes.  White looks a little better after wear.  Moved into mens and tried FJ, but, shape of shoe didn't fit his foot.  Moved to Adidas BOA spikes and he loves them.  Just finished three days of tourney play on a hilly course and said very comfortable,  Says he can loosen or tighten during the day as foot swells.  He wears a pair of Puma spikeless for casual rounds and practice.

Edited by propredicr, 05 December 2017 - 04:54 PM.

#15 wildcatden

wildcatden

China Cat Sunflower

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2017 - 11:30 AM

So I found a great deal on a pair of Adidas Junior AdiZero shoes. I was doing some research and saw that (in possibly the adult sizes) that AdiZero's were getting banned from some courses back in 2014 due to leaving heavy spike marks on greens. Essentially, it sounded like the layout of the sole of the shoe didn't/doesn't distribute the weight well enough and thus causing excessive spike mark damage on greens. Not sure if that would be the case with a 7 year old 50-55lb'er.

Anybody familiar with these Adidas AdiZero junior shoes?

Attached Files

#16 leezer99

leezer99

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2017 - 12:47 PM

View Postwildcatden, on 06 December 2017 - 11:30 AM, said:

So I found a great deal on a pair of Adidas Junior AdiZero shoes. I was doing some research and saw that (in possibly the adult sizes) that AdiZero's were getting banned from some courses back in 2014 due to leaving heavy spike marks on greens. Essentially, it sounded like the layout of the sole of the shoe didn't/doesn't distribute the weight well enough and thus causing excessive spike mark damage on greens. Not sure if that would be the case with a 7 year old 50-55lb'er.

No familiarity but the black with dark green accents are pretty sweet looking.  The white I fear would get dingy too fast.

#17 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2017 - 01:10 PM

View Postwildcatden, on 06 December 2017 - 11:30 AM, said:

Good Shoes for afternoons.  The only problem is the upper has a synthetic mesh.  In the mornings and on wet course water gets to the foot.

#18 Belmont148

Belmont148

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 474430
  • Handicap:16
GolfWRX Likes : 167

Posted 07 December 2017 - 05:00 PM

Just ordered the Puma Grip Sport with the disc no laces. The old Titan Tour Jr Spikeless were pretty good, so hoping these will be also. Will let you know how he likes them after Christmas.
Cobra F7+ Driver 10.5 Aldila Rogue 125 Silver TS 44.5"
Epic SZ 14.5 HZRDUS T800 65 stiff 42"
Cobra F6 3 hyb. 19* Aldila Rogue 85H R flex
Cobra Fly Z 4 hyb. 22* Aldila Rogue 85H R flex
Cobra AMP Forged 5-GW CTL S+ flex
MD2 Tour 54* and 58* CTL R flex
PM Grind MD3 64* black CTL R flex
Scotty Studio Stainless Newport 2

#19 wildcatden

wildcatden

China Cat Sunflower

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2018 - 11:20 PM

Hope everyone had a good Christmas.  I ended up getting my 7-yr old the FootJoy DNA Dryjoy's (blue/white).  Took him out to play in them this afternoon and it certainly looks like he has gained some power/distance in his drive (perhaps 5-10 yards). His older spikeless Tiger Woods shoes were so worn, I think he was slipping in them. Of course, we have been to the range a couple times over the Christmas break and I have been having him work on his footwork/lower body which is likely helping also. He had been having a problem of getting his weight on the outside of his back foot on the backswing (actually tilting his foot and raising the inside up off the ground).

Anyway, he drove the ball great with them. He hit great approach shots with them. He had 6 "legit" birdie putts (15 feet and in) on his round of 9-holes, but he just could not get any of them to fall.

#20 hangontight

hangontight

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2018 - 11:43 PM

View Postwildcatden, on 01 January 2018 - 11:20 PM, said:

Hope everyone had a good Christmas.  I ended up getting my 7-yr old the FootJoy DNA Dryjoy's (blue/white).  Took him out to play in them this afternoon and it certainly looks like he has gained some power/distance in his drive (perhaps 5-10 yards). His older spikeless Tiger Woods shoes were so worn, I think he was slipping in them. Of course, we have been to the range a couple times over the Christmas break and I have been having him work on his footwork/lower body which is likely helping also. He had been having a problem of getting his weight on the outside of his back foot on the backswing (actually tilting his foot and raising the inside up off the ground).

Anyway, he drove the ball great with them. He hit great approach shots with them. He had 6 "legit" birdie putts (15 feet and in) on his round of 9-holes, but he just could not get any of them to fall.

Interesting.  I also got my 7 YO the Same FJ DNA  (found gently used, really like new, at Play it again for $14!).  He has been wearing the FJ pro SL (spikeless).  Curious now to see if any difference in distance.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 wildcatden

wildcatden

China Cat Sunflower

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2018 - 12:11 AM

View Posthangontight, on 01 January 2018 - 11:43 PM, said:

View Postwildcatden, on 01 January 2018 - 11:20 PM, said:

Interesting.  I also got my 7 YO the Same FJ DNA  (found gently used, really like new, at Play it again for $14!).  He has been wearing the FJ pro SL (spikeless).  Curious now to see if any difference in distance.

Odds are he has been helped more by getting the basic mechanics of his lower body (especially footwork) back in order, but today was the first day we played with the new shoes. We also played a round a couple days ago, but were wearing the old spikeless shoes. His drives today (with the fixed mechanics of that back foot on the backswing) seemed to be 5-10 yards longer.  Regardless, the shoes are great looking, build quality of the shoes looks fantastic and he said they were very comfortable.

Hope your son loves his new shoes also. That's a great deal on the Play-It-Again find!!

#22 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2018 - 09:52 AM

I got mine a pair of New Balance Minimus on a whim.  As a 12 year old he has tiny feet so I got him a size 7 with him never having trying them on.  $60.00 for a light weight spikeless shoe that is waterproof.  He is anal about his shoes.  He tried them on and loved them.  Perfect fit.  Already has walked 2 rounds in them.  Told me they were the best golf shoes he has ever worn.

Edited by heavy_hitter, 02 January 2018 - 09:52 AM.

#23 Palmetto Golfer

Palmetto Golfer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 179906
GolfWRX Likes : 105

Posted 02 January 2018 - 12:24 PM

My son is wearing these right now and likes them a lot..Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users