Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Chrome Soft X (Finally Played It!)

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 LUMA

LUMA

I Am My Greatest Downfall

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114517
GolfWRX Likes : 428

Posted 03 December 2017 - 11:05 AM

I finally bought a sleeve of the X's yesterday and I am switching! I have been a ProV1 player for eeeeeeeveeeeeeer. I have tried my hardest to switch to the ProV1 X because I would benefit from the ball with my swing speed but I couldn't stand the hard clicky feel of the X around the greens, so I just played the Pro V1.

I tried the regular Chrome Soft and found it too soft for my liking. It was an OK ball, but just didn't do it for me over the ProV 1. I also found that I lost a little distance off the tee with the regular Chrome Soft versus the ProV1, around 10-15 yards. This was tested with 4 drives back to back. ProV1 was longer every time.

After trying the Chrome Soft X, I am switching to this ball exclusively. This ball has I feel a little higher flight than the ProV and spins more with irons and especially wedges around 100 yards. The Chrome Soft X spins like a mad man! Maybe too much at times. I was hitting 100 yard wedge shots into greens and some of them spun back 3-4 feet. I was having to hit my wedges into flags just past the flag to compensate for the spin. With the irons, they would typically take one bounce and spin back a foot or so right in line with the ball mark on the green. Working this ball was a pleasure with the X. It felt like I had a ton of control when hitting a draw or fade with my irons. Distance off the tee really great. Maybe a bit longer than the ProV1. For feel, I think this ball is exactly what I am looking for! It feels much softer than the ProV1 X. It feels a tad harder than the Pro V1, but it is a different kind of hard. It is a muted type of hard so to me, it feels and sounds much softer. The ProV1 X was much more hard/clicky. The Chrome Soft X feels closer to the ProV1 around the greens than the ProV1 X.

I love this Chrome Soft X. For me, I feel this ball sits right in between the ProV1 and the ProV1 X in terms of feel and the perforce and is pretty much everything that I am looking for. Switched!!!

For your reference, I am around a 4 handicap. Driver around 300 yards. 7 iron around 170.

Edited by LUMA, 03 December 2017 - 11:12 AM.

Callaway Epic Sub Zero 9 deg / Aldila Rouge X 65
Titleist 915 F 15 deg / Diamana S+ 70
Callaway XR 19 deg Hybrid / Project X LZ S
Titleist 714 CB PW-4 / KBS C-Taper S
Titleist Vokey SM5 50/54/58
Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Mid-Slant

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 wobgon

wobgon

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,783 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 54137
GolfWRX Likes : 4899

Posted 03 December 2017 - 11:46 AM

I like the chrome X also.......Are you aware that the new pro v x  is more like the old pro v and visa versa?

#3 18thbunker

18thbunker

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 143863
GolfWRX Likes : 89

Posted 03 December 2017 - 12:35 PM

It is a great ball. Yes it spins a lot but I can control the spin. Very similar characteristics as the ProVx, but much easier for my wallet.
driver - Titleist 915 D3 10.5
fairway - Ping I25 18 degree 5 wood
hybrid - Ben Hogan VKTR 19 & 23
Irons -   Mizuno MP68 3-PW
wedges Mizuno MP-T5 50-58
putter - Ping Sigma G Doon

#4 LUMA

LUMA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2017 - 12:51 PM

View Postwobgon, on 03 December 2017 - 11:46 AM, said:

I like the chrome X also.......Are you aware that the new pro v x  is more like the old pro v and visa versa?

I haven't played the newest ProV X. I made this comparison to the models 2016 and prior. The Chrome Soft is still winning as far as my wallet goes. Dicks has them on sale for $32 a dozen right now...

#5 gs1184

gs1184

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 322101
GolfWRX Likes : 131

Posted 05 December 2017 - 10:33 AM

I wish they would make it with the green Truvis.

Callaway Epic Sub Zero - Fujikura Rombax 6z08 stiff
Ping G-5 16* hybrid - Graffaly prolaunch Blue HY  X-stiff
Mizuno MP 68 3 iron
Callaway 2013 X-forged 4-PW - ProjectX 5.5
Callaway Jaws 52*
Callaway MD3 S-grind 56*, 60*
Odyssey Black Series 2 putter
TaylorMade Tour Preferred X, Titleist ProV1x

#6 Boricua Golf

Boricua Golf

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,287 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 137445
  • Handicap:3.3
  • Ebay ID:luisito11*11
GolfWRX Likes : 1361

Posted 05 December 2017 - 10:43 AM

As you can see in my sig, I love the CSX, K-Sig and PV1...great ball, checks all the boxes...
Driver---------------Ping G LS Tec 10.5*, Ping Tour 65X, tipped 1", 44.25"
FW Wood----------Ping G 14.5*, Diamana Whiteboard D+ 82X, tipped .5", 42.5"
Hybrid---------------Ping G 19*, Tour AD-DI 105X
Irons-----------------Ping iBlade 4-P, Project X 6.5 Flighted
Wedges-------------Ping Glide 50*, 54*, 58* with Project X 6.5 Flighted
Putter----------------Ping Karsten TR Zing Tour  32.75", built up Pingman Grip (Ping Oslo and Ping Nome TR as backup 33.25" with SS Pistol GT Tour 1.0)
Golf Ball-------------2017 Pro V1, K-Sigs and Chrome Soft X

#7 Bkgeneral

Bkgeneral

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 103147
GolfWRX Likes : 59

Posted 06 December 2017 - 07:51 AM

I am as fickle as they come on balls....but as long as weather is decent this is my favorite of the current options

I am tick under 100mph with the driver, and a generally low spin guy.   For me this has been the best performer.

as a note, bad/cold weather I prefer the b330RXS.  But above 60ish degrees the CSX is my clear choice

#8 groach

groach

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 122745
  • Handicap:5.7
GolfWRX Likes : 50

Posted 06 December 2017 - 11:44 AM

I'm still a chrome soft guy, but, this ball would easily be my next choice to play.  In fact, I bought another sleeve recently and am going to give it another go this spring.
Driver: Rogue Sub Zero - Fuji Pro X
3 Wood: Rogue Sub Zero - Fuji Pro X
3 Hybrid: Titleist 816 H2 - Speeder X
Irons (4-P): Mizuno MP-18 SC - CTaper X
Wedges (52,58): Mizuno T7 - CTaper X
Putter: Odyssey O-Works #1
Ball: Chrome Soft Truvis
Glove: FJ Contour FLX/MG Dyna Elite
Shoes: Ecco Biom G2
Bag: Sun Mountain 4.5 LS Stand Bag
Push Cart: Clicgear 3.5

#9 playa

playa

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 280775
GolfWRX Likes : 4077

Posted 08 December 2017 - 02:54 AM

If all balls were free, I'd play the chrome soft x. Great all round performer, long with loads of bite and spinny around the greens. Lucky for me they are affordable so I play these all the time. Regular soft also very good, not much different. Cally have really lifted their game with the softs.

#10 monks66

monks66

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 465294
GolfWRX Likes : 119

Posted 08 December 2017 - 07:03 AM

chrome soft X just feels so hard for me

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 Hawkeye77

Hawkeye77

Legend

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 13,975 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100868
GolfWRX Likes : 10146

Posted 10 December 2017 - 02:58 PM

View Postmonks66, on 08 December 2017 - 07:03 AM, said:

chrome soft X just feels so hard for me

Same.  ProV1s and Chrome Soft for me, and like them both.

Gave the 3 dozen Chrome Soft X's I bought to try (minus 3 I'd lost) to my dad and he absolutely loves them (even better than the regular ones) so there's a ball for everyone out there!

#12 LUMA

LUMA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2017 - 08:59 PM

Interesting how you guys feel the CS X is too hard.  I think the CSX feels closer to a ProV1 than a ProV1 X. It's the clickyness of the ProV1 X that I can't stand I think.

#13 Jvoom30

Jvoom30

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 477558
  • Handicap:13
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 10 December 2017 - 10:21 PM

New chrome softs are coming soon. Looking foward to them

Edited by Jvoom30, 10 December 2017 - 10:23 PM.

#14 MasterMickelson

MasterMickelson

GolfAddict

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 488466
  • Handicap:5
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 11 December 2017 - 05:53 PM

View PostLUMA, on 03 December 2017 - 11:05 AM, said:

I finally bought a sleeve of the X's yesterday and I am switching! I have been a ProV1 player for eeeeeeeveeeeeeer. I have tried my hardest to switch to the ProV1 X because I would benefit from the ball with my swing speed but I couldn't stand the hard clicky feel of the X around the greens, so I just played the Pro V1.

I tried the regular Chrome Soft and found it too soft for my liking. It was an OK ball, but just didn't do it for me over the ProV 1. I also found that I lost a little distance off the tee with the regular Chrome Soft versus the ProV1, around 10-15 yards. This was tested with 4 drives back to back. ProV1 was longer every time.

After trying the Chrome Soft X, I am switching to this ball exclusively. This ball has I feel a little higher flight than the ProV and spins more with irons and especially wedges around 100 yards. The Chrome Soft X spins like a mad man! Maybe too much at times. I was hitting 100 yard wedge shots into greens and some of them spun back 3-4 feet. I was having to hit my wedges into flags just past the flag to compensate for the spin. With the irons, they would typically take one bounce and spin back a foot or so right in line with the ball mark on the green. Working this ball was a pleasure with the X. It felt like I had a ton of control when hitting a draw or fade with my irons. Distance off the tee really great. Maybe a bit longer than the ProV1. For feel, I think this ball is exactly what I am looking for! It feels much softer than the ProV1 X. It feels a tad harder than the Pro V1, but it is a different kind of hard. It is a muted type of hard so to me, it feels and sounds much softer. The ProV1 X was much more hard/clicky. The Chrome Soft X feels closer to the ProV1 around the greens than the ProV1 X.

I love this Chrome Soft X. For me, I feel this ball sits right in between the ProV1 and the ProV1 X in terms of feel and the perforce and is pretty much everything that I am looking for. Switched!!!

For your reference, I am around a 4 handicap. Driver around 300 yards. 7 iron around 170.

Which balls gave you more distance off the tee, ProV1, Prov1x or CSX?

How many yards apart would you say that difference was?
Driver: Callaway Epic SZ.
3 wood: Callaway Big Bertha V Series.
Irons: Titleist AP3. AMT Black.
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6. (48/54/58)
Putter: Taylormade Spider OS CB.

#15 LUMA

LUMA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2017 - 07:38 PM

View PostMasterMickelson, on 11 December 2017 - 05:53 PM, said:

I feel that the regular CS was shorter than all the others, but only with the driver and woods. I actually gained a little distance with my irons with the regular CS. The ProV1 is maybe 5-10 yards shorter than the CSX and the ProV1X with the long clubs. CSX and ProV1X are on par.

#16 MasterMickelson

MasterMickelson

GolfAddict

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 488466
  • Handicap:5
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 11 December 2017 - 08:55 PM

View PostLUMA, on 11 December 2017 - 07:38 PM, said:

View PostMasterMickelson, on 11 December 2017 - 05:53 PM, said:

I feel that the regular CS was shorter than all the others, but only with the driver and woods. I actually gained a little distance with my irons with the regular CS. The ProV1 is maybe 5-10 yards shorter than the CSX and the ProV1X with the long clubs. CSX and ProV1X are on par.

Thanks.
Driver: Callaway Epic SZ.
3 wood: Callaway Big Bertha V Series.
Irons: Titleist AP3. AMT Black.
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6. (48/54/58)
Putter: Taylormade Spider OS CB.

#17 phil75070

phil75070

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1580
  • Handicap:3.6
GolfWRX Likes : 129

Posted 12 December 2017 - 10:30 AM

I thought the Chrome Soft X was for higher swing speeds so I was hesitant to try it. Now that I have, it and the Snell MTB are my two "go to" balls. The biggest impression that the CSX made for me was on a downwind shot to a green not known for holding the ball. I hit a PW to the the upper level at the back of the green (where the pin was) and the ball just stopped and dropped! First, I could not believe the distance I got with the ball (recognizing it was downwind) but more importantly I could not believe the amount of spin I got. A little lower launch than either the Chrome Soft or Snell I seem to get a little more distance off the tee with the driver.

#18 youraway2

youraway2

Just Old Sticks

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,219 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 25945
  • Handicap:7
  • Ebay ID:youraway
GolfWRX Likes : 320

Posted 17 December 2017 - 08:58 AM

Just played the ball for the first time and am most impressed.  The CSX did not feel hard and has sufficient spin on short chip and pitch shots.  Not sure how much, but it appears that I hot my drives slightly longer.  

I have two dozen Snell MTB's, a Dozen or so, AVX's, and a dozen B330RXS's. Even with my slow swing speed, I like the results with the CSX, here's my future choice for playing;

Callaway Chrome Soft X
Bridgestone B330 RXS (old version)
Titliest AVX
Snell MTB

#19 phil75070

phil75070

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1580
  • Handicap:3.6
GolfWRX Likes : 129

Posted 17 December 2017 - 09:33 AM

I'm trying to work my way through the odds and end balls that I have accumulated such as the Chrome Soft, Truvis, KSig, TM, so I can focus on just carrying and using my two "go to" balls. They would be the Snell MTB and the Chrome Soft X for when I want a more penetrating ball flight.

#20 playa

playa

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 280775
GolfWRX Likes : 4077

Posted 18 December 2017 - 03:06 PM

View Postphil75070, on 12 December 2017 - 10:30 AM, said:

I thought the Chrome Soft X was for higher swing speeds so I was hesitant to try it. Now that I have, it and the Snell MTB are my two "go to" balls. The biggest impression that the CSX made for me was on a downwind shot to a green not known for holding the ball. I hit a PW to the the upper level at the back of the green (where the pin was) and the ball just stopped and dropped! First, I could not believe the distance I got with the ball (recognizing it was downwind) but more importantly I could not believe the amount of spin I got. A little lower launch than either the Chrome Soft or Snell I seem to get a little more distance off the tee with the driver.
I have found the CSX to have more spin into greens than other premium balls. I'm not a huge spinner of the ball like I was back in my 30s with the rule 35 blue and Nike TA, but if I have anything from PW down with a CSX I know it's gonna stop or spin back.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 Z1ggy16

Z1ggy16

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,697 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 430110
GolfWRX Likes : 1405

Posted 18 December 2017 - 03:25 PM

I like the X. Still feels soft, but flies a bit lower than the Chrome Soft, which for me balloons a bit.

I think for me next year it'll come down to TP5X or CSX. ProV1 is an awesome feeling ball, but it spins just a little too much for me and my shorter irons tend to balloon a little bit. TP5x is also a beast in the wind, almost to the point that it's unaffected unless a strong gust hits it.
WITB
DR - '16 M2 Speeder Evo II 661
3W - F8 2KXV Blue 70
3i - JPX 850 Tensei Blue 80 (U65 on rotation)
Irons - P790 4i Modus 105, 5-PW Modus 120
Wedges - Trusty Tour 50/8 54/10 60/6 Modus Wedge 115
P - Odyssey WHP #7
Ball - ProV1 or Project (a)
Cobra Ultralight Bag

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors