Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Help! Bushnell V4 shift or Nikon 80i vr?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Londoner

Londoner

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 483738
  • Handicap:14
  • Ebay ID:Woofwoof666
GolfWRX Likes : 212

Posted 01 December 2017 - 04:30 PM

Santa is going to bring me one of these (she'd  better). Bushnell sv4 shift or nikon 80i vr.?

I have a Garmin   s6 approach but want a Laser.  Our home course is hilly and 90% of my golf.

Whats the best one to go for? To date i haven't tried either and no local retailer has both.

Users opinions will be much appreciated.  Thx guys.

Edited by Londoner, 01 December 2017 - 04:32 PM.

Mizuno mp h5. 4-W KBS tour stiff 2 iron modus 3 stiff.
taylormade m2 Driver + hl 3 wood
ping anser
Titleist sm6 50 +54
Cleveland 60

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 ian-500

ian-500

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139631
  • Handicap:16
GolfWRX Likes : 34

Posted 03 December 2017 - 04:27 PM

Hahahaha my wife has bought me (for crimbo) the V4 shift......
Driver: Callaway GBB 9* + Rogue Max 65x.
FW: Callaway GBB 16* + Rogue Max 75x
FW: Callaway GBB 22* + Rogue Max 85x
Irons: Taylormade P730/P770 + KBS $-Taper HS1x.
Wedges: Taylormade Milled Grind 52/56/60 + KBS Hi-Rev 2.0.
Putter: Rife Barbados island.

#3 Londoner

Londoner

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2017 - 04:57 AM

View Postian-500, on 03 December 2017 - 04:27 PM, said:

Hahahaha my wife has bought me (for crimbo) the V4 shift......
Oh good has "she" tried one? :taunt:
ping anser
Titleist sm6 50 +54
Cleveland 60

#4 North Butte

North Butte

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,118 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 424472
GolfWRX Likes : 3947

Posted 05 December 2017 - 12:39 PM

What does "shift" mean in Bushnell-speak?

I have a Coolshot 80 VR (the non-slope version, not the 80i) and honestly would not consider buying a non-VR rangefinder again.

Maybe "Shift" mean vibration reduction in which case Bushnell would be good. But if not, no-brainer to go with the advanced tech that really, truly makes a massive difference.
A chicken is just an egg's way of making more eggs.

#5 Londoner

Londoner

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2017 - 01:59 PM

View PostNorth Butte, on 05 December 2017 - 12:39 PM, said:

What does "shift" mean in Bushnell-speak?

I have a Coolshot 80 VR (the non-slope version, not the 80i) and honestly would not consider buying a non-VR rangefinder again.

Maybe "Shift" mean vibration reduction in which case Bushnell would be good. But if not, no-brainer to go with the advanced tech that really, truly makes a massive difference.
Cheers North. The shift means slope switchable. The bushnell vibrates when you lock on the nearest thing, usually the flag.

Some report the VR keeps hoping about.

I have the garmin g6 approach gps and am convincing myself i need laser as well. Any thoughts on that?

ping anser
Titleist sm6 50 +54
Cleveland 60

#6 North Butte

North Butte

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,118 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 424472
GolfWRX Likes : 3947

Posted 05 December 2017 - 02:15 PM

I've read those complaints. The day I got mine, I took it out on the front porch and tried getting distances to various things around the neighborhood. For the first 5 minutes I didn't quite have the knack. Once I got used to it no problem.

I've handed it to 3-4 guys I play with. They try it for two shots and say, "It moves around, I can't use that" and hand it back completely uninterested.

The issue is, the VR motor has a limited range of motion. So if your hand moves too much, it loses the lock and has a half-second delay before re-locking again. When it catches up, the image jumps.

Once you've shot 10 or 20 targets you get used to it and it's amazing. But for whatever reason that steady-steady-steady-steady-steady-jump-steady-steady... type of behavior drives some people nuts. They rather have it wobbling around continuously I guess.
A chicken is just an egg's way of making more eggs.

#7 Sam Bennett

Sam Bennett

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 443702
  • Handicap:25
  • Ebay ID:sam_bennett-212
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 07 December 2017 - 06:29 PM

Iíve tried the V4 shift and is simple and easy to adapt to for the first time using a laser. Initially finding where it suits you to hold it and how to hold it takes a couple zaps but after that itís as easy as anything.

I  would personally go for the shift because you can switch between slope and non slope whereas I believe you cannot with the Nikon. I donít know if this is a problem for you if you play in competitions?

However once youíve played a few times round our own course with a slope setting youíre going to know our yardageís pretty accurately so not really vital unless you hit it the exact number.

I think technology between the two brands is virtually identical. Theyíre both going to tell you the exact same yardage which is the primary use. After that just ask the question:

Do I need to switch between non conforming (slope) and conforming for competitions?

Which do I prefer the look of/feel/weight/size/features?

And I donít know for you but which is the best value for money? But this certainly is for me being a student.

Sorry itís lengthy but i has a similar dilemma and learnt a lot so hope this helped

#8 Londoner

Londoner

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2017 - 06:42 PM

View PostSam Bennett, on 07 December 2017 - 06:29 PM, said:

I've tried the V4 shift and is simple and easy to adapt to for the first time using a laser. Initially finding where it suits you to hold it and how to hold it takes a couple zaps but after that it's as easy as anything.

I  would personally go for the shift because you can switch between slope and non slope whereas I believe you cannot with the Nikon. I don't know if this is a problem for you if you play in competitions?

However once you've played a few times round our own course with a slope setting you're going to know our yardage's pretty accurately so not really vital unless you hit it the exact number.

I think technology between the two brands is virtually identical. They're both going to tell you the exact same yardage which is the primary use. After that just ask the question:

Do I need to switch between non conforming (slope) and conforming for competitions?

Which do I prefer the look of/feel/weight/size/features?

And I don't know for you but which is the best value for money? But this certainly is for me being a student.

Sorry it's lengthy but i has a similar dilemma and learnt a lot so hope this helped
Cheers Sam and welcome to the forum. Ive not been here too long myself. Theyre mostly a good bunch. :taunt:
ping anser
Titleist sm6 50 +54
Cleveland 60

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors