Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 2 votes

Have you ever had a day when you just plain sucked?

176 replies to this topic

#91 Halebopp

Halebopp

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 184750
GolfWRX Likes : 1368

Posted 08 January 2018 - 08:11 AM

Yes and unfortunately, for the past couple of years, a couple of the worst days have been the first day of the club championships. No need to play the second 72 holes on Sunday after missing the cut.

Both times I've played my best ever round of golf (until that point) a week before the club championships and matched that score a week after the championships but everything falls apart for the championships week.

Once I do get fed up with the game, I either take a break (usually doesn't last more than a couple of days because even a bad day on the course with friends beats pretty much everything in life for a single with no kids) and play the next round with half a set just to break the pattern, hit the range or take a lesson.

D: Mizuno MP-650, 9.5º, Orochi Red Stiff
4W: Titleist 917 F2, 16.5º, Speeder Pro 84 TS Stiff
3 Iron: Mizuno MP-H5, KBS Tour Stiff
4-PW: Mizuno MP-4, KBS Tour Stiff
Mizuno MP-T5 50.07, DG Wedge
W/S FG Tour PMP: 55.12, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
W/S FG Tour PMP: 59.10, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
Mizuno Bettinardi BC-4
WITB Link

Swing DNA: 91/4/3/6/6

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#92 Baitkiller

Baitkiller

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 359765
  • Handicap:Yes
GolfWRX Likes : 1097

Posted 08 January 2018 - 08:27 AM

So I lost one of my very best friends and closest golf buddy a week ago today. Massive Grabber while alone at home. Scott Ray wasn't a very good golfer, in fact he was terrible. Just last month he bought a new Grenade Driver and was excited to use it. He was finally going to out drive me! He never hit a ball with it.
55 years old.
Scott would tell me every time we played that he loved Golf because it was the one time when all of his stress was relieved, his cares washed away. When golfing he could forget about the normal every day worries. On the course Scott would only care about golf and the thing is, he really didn't care. It was his "nothing place".
Scott and I ran boats all over the planet for better than 2 decades. He held an unlimited license and was a Cruzan back when that was a good thing. He would actually get better at golf the more beer he drank. His head covers were all Popeye, Brutus and Whimpy. He played Eye 2s and loved yellow balls.
The cart girls are going to miss Scott asking for a "milk shake" every single time they came through.
My son Ian is going to miss his quarter a hole matches with my friend.
I'm going to miss him for the rest of my life.
Golf will never be the same for me.
But every time I play, I will have the best damn time of my life.
There will never be another bad round.
Go ahead and hit Scott, your'e up.
Turn over damnit!
Krank 9*  Formula 5 UST Tour
Adams 15* wasabi
XXIO pro 5
Adams Pro Gold Forged 3-46* / Steelfibers
Vanilla wedges 53 and 58*
Betti-1
K-sig

#93 HackATK

HackATK

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 484192
  • Ebay ID:greeneminem420
GolfWRX Likes : 140

Posted 08 January 2018 - 09:34 AM

View PostBaitkiller, on 08 January 2018 - 08:27 AM, said:

So I lost one of my very best friends and closest golf buddy a week ago today. Massive Grabber while alone at home. Scott Ray wasn't a very good golfer, in fact he was terrible. Just last month he bought a new Grenade Driver and was excited to use it. He was finally going to out drive me! He never hit a ball with it.
55 years old.
Scott would tell me every time we played that he loved Golf because it was the one time when all of his stress was relieved, his cares washed away. When golfing he could forget about the normal every day worries. On the course Scott would only care about golf and the thing is, he really didn't care. It was his "nothing place".
Scott and I ran boats all over the planet for better than 2 decades. He held an unlimited license and was a Cruzan back when that was a good thing. He would actually get better at golf the more beer he drank. His head covers were all Popeye, Brutus and Whimpy. He played Eye 2s and loved yellow balls.
The cart girls are going to miss Scott asking for a "milk shake" every single time they came through.

Sorry for your loss my friend. Just reading this made me feel like I will never have a bad feeling day either in golf.

#94 Baitkiller

Baitkiller

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2018 - 10:25 AM

Thank you. I guess I brought this thread down.

Im sorry for that.
Turn over damnit!
Adams 15* wasabi
XXIO pro 5
Betti-1
K-sig

#95 dpb5031

dpb5031

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,678 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 67947
GolfWRX Likes : 2942

Posted 08 January 2018 - 11:02 AM

View PostBaitkiller, on 08 January 2018 - 10:25 AM, said:

Thank you. I guess I brought this thread down.

Im sorry for that.

Very sorry to learn about your friend.  I don't think you've brought us down.  In fact, your post is a good reminder for us all to not take ourselves or our golf games too seriously, to enjoy and appreciate every waking minute, and to value and cherish friends and family above all else.

USGA Index: ~2

WITB:
2018 Taylormade M3 8.5 Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6x
Taylormade M2 Tour 15 Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 S
Kasco K2K 33 - UST Axivcore 65 Tour Green S
Ping G 22 Hybrid (2 flat) - Ping Tour 80 S
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Ping Glide 2.0 - SS 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade Ho Toe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

#96 MrJones

MrJones

Waiting for the weekend...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,721 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 18450
  • Handicap:6.3
GolfWRX Likes : 1022

Posted 08 January 2018 - 03:03 PM

View PostBaitkiller, on 08 January 2018 - 08:27 AM, said:

55 years old.

Sorry for you loss and don't apologize.

Stories like this help me enjoy and appreciate all the rounds that I play like crap  :)
Cobra Bio Cell Pro
Cobra Bio Cell+ 3 wood
TM RAC MB 3-PW
Mizuno MP-R 54*, 60*   
Odyssey White Ice 1

#97 Baitkiller

Baitkiller

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2018 - 08:19 PM

Gonna go play this weekend with our regular group less 1.
Giant slices off the T will be considered a practice swing and fairway fluffing is expected.
Bud heavy in the can shall be generously applied to forestall dehydration and improve contact.
The poor cart girls are sure to be bombarded with repeated requests for a milkshake.
The cart boy will be tipped over generous and the pro chatted up.
And I am going to have best damn round of golf I ever played.
Turn over damnit!
Adams 15* wasabi
XXIO pro 5
Betti-1
K-sig

#98 sdandrea

sdandrea

Steve

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 117468
  • Handicap:11
  • Ebay ID:sdan6017
GolfWRX Likes : 1654

Posted 10 January 2018 - 08:26 PM

Doesn't everyone?  All the pros who miss the cut will probably tell you they had 2 sucky days.
PING G SF Tech 10*
TM Superfast hybrid 24*
PING G400 7-UW
Maltby M Series + 54* & 58*
Scotty Fastback

#99 Silicon Valley Dale

Silicon Valley Dale

Advanced

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 487608
GolfWRX Likes : 163

Posted 13 January 2018 - 12:56 PM

Damn Baitkiller, just damn. So sorry to hear. Stay strong and it sounds like you're honoring him up all proper!

#100 Silicon Valley Dale

Silicon Valley Dale

Advanced

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 487608
GolfWRX Likes : 163

Posted 13 January 2018 - 01:27 PM

I've had exactly one round since I became what I would consider a decent golfer. I'll not include nor do I even remember much of the first few years.

I was playing with someone new that had heard I was a GREAT golfer. Due to that I was in for the most humbling round of my life. I not only failed to register a single par but I didn't hit a single shot that I would call good. Not one. I never did add up my score but it was probably 110 or slightly more. At the time of that round I didn't have an official HC established but most rounds on admittedly easy courses were mid to upper 70's. So I was probably about a 5-6 back then. Due to playing a lot and some semi competitive golf a million years ago, I have always had the ability to go pretty low if everything is working and I think I was bragging about the 69 I had shot a week or two ago to him while we were waiting for the first tee to clear. The only thing I'll take from that round is that I will never EVER even think about talking myself up again. I used to like the pressure that would bring, I usually play better under a little. This was the most embarrassing 4 hours of my life.

So what went wrong? Heck if I know. The course we were playing was a lot harder than the courses I usually play and significantly tighter. I was pushing everything off the tee initially. I fixed that midway through the round and then started pulling them. I struck the ball pretty clean and don't recall any duffs. I wasn't hooking or slicing. Just pushing and pulling. Irons again were struck clean for the most part but pushing and pulling the entire round. The short game is really what killed me though. I couldn't get up and down to save my life. If I wasn't behind a tree from just off the green I'd leave myself 40ft to try to save par or bogey. Didn't drop a putt longer than 4ft on the day either.

I remember standing on the 18th tee thinking that I'd finally get my Par. It's a short par 4 that would be driveable if it wasn't surrounded by bunkers except about a 5ft path open in the front of it. I pulled a long iron out as the landing area 80-100 yards out was literally 60 yards wide. I struck it clean and ended up 80 yards out. Except I'd pulled it 100 yards and was in hole 11's fairway. Hit my next shot around trees and ended up in the green side bunkers I'd been trying to avoid from the tee. Should have known since it was that kind of day. I did salvage a regular bogey out of it.

Thank god that's now just a bad memory. I've played bad since then for sure. But I've always had something positive. Even if just a couple shots or holes. I don't think I've played 18 since then and not birdied a hole, let alone not made a par.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#101 kujosit

kujosit

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46695
GolfWRX Likes : 30

Posted 13 January 2018 - 07:58 PM

Yes, when I played this morning...

#102 Hehateme

Hehateme

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 133784
  • Handicap:2.1
GolfWRX Likes : 198

Posted 14 January 2018 - 09:36 PM

I haven't played a good round in 2018. Honestly, I have played 4 rounds already in 2018 and have hit probably 6 balls well, in 4 rounds!

#103 thug the bunny

thug the bunny

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,726 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 251822
  • Handicap:8.2
GolfWRX Likes : 13561

Posted 14 January 2018 - 11:03 PM

View PostHehateme, on 14 January 2018 - 09:36 PM, said:

I haven't played a good round in 2018. Honestly, I have played 4 rounds already in 2018 and have hit probably 6 balls well, in 4 rounds!

Well, there's no where to go but up!

Love your WRX  name, you got that from the guy in the old XFL league right?

#104 driverhead

driverhead

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2121
GolfWRX Likes : 42

Posted 15 January 2018 - 10:35 AM

Its golf. ANY one who has played will have a total suck fest day on occasion.  I once had my worst and best 9s for the year on my home course in the same round.  44 30.

#105 dlygrisse

dlygrisse

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,611 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16702
GolfWRX Likes : 7009

Posted 15 January 2018 - 11:23 AM

Everyone has those days.  

The best remedy is to have a great short game, because fairways and greens don't happen every day.

Callaway GBB
Callaway V Series 3w, HW
Callaway Steelhead 4 hybrid
Ping G 4-U
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54* SS
Vokey 58 M grind
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Jones Utility
Ball, KSig or a bunch of ProV's I won in a charity scramble.  
ECCO Biom Hybrid 3

#106 Hehateme

Hehateme

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2018 - 06:38 PM

View Postthug the bunny, on 14 January 2018 - 11:03 PM, said:

View PostHehateme, on 14 January 2018 - 09:36 PM, said:

Well, there's no where to go but up!

Love your WRX  name, you got that from the guy in the old XFL league right?

That I did!!

#107 jimb6golf

jimb6golf

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,436 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 135116
GolfWRX Likes : 388

Posted 18 January 2018 - 12:27 PM

Played a round last fall where nothing was going right.  Two balls in the water, a few driblblers and just poor shots all around.  That's what happens when you are reworking your swing but it was incredibly frustrating.  Ended up playing an extra 9 holes and things went better then but there was some additional range time required to work off the guilt of a bad round.  Bad rounds can really affect my mood and I have to head directly to the range to work things out some otherwise I'll feel miserable the rest of the day.  Sounds like  a psychiatrist is needed huh.

#108 thug the bunny

thug the bunny

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,726 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2018 - 10:06 PM

View Postjimb6golf, on 18 January 2018 - 12:27 PM, said:

Played a round last fall where nothing was going right.  Two balls in the water, a few driblblers and just poor shots all around.  That's what happens when you are reworking your swing but it was incredibly frustrating.  Ended up playing an extra 9 holes and things went better then but there was some additional range time required to work off the guilt of a bad round.  Bad rounds can really affect my mood and I have to head directly to the range to work things out some otherwise I'll feel miserable the rest of the day.  Sounds like  a psychiatrist is needed huh.

In most sports unless you are a pro, you are both patient and psychologist at the same time.

#109 platgof

platgof

platgof

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,196 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125351
  • Handicap:19
  • Ebay ID:platgof
GolfWRX Likes : 289

Posted 18 January 2018 - 10:21 PM

Good thread, I love honesty. I guess I am 7 sucky rounds, and three somewhat good rounds. I still play somewhere near bogey most times. Sure, I have had a few good rounds, but those are like twenty to one. I am learning to just have fun and forget the competition, none of us are playing for anything. I have not played yet this year as there is 8 inches of white stuff on the ground, and that will take two weeks to clear up, maybe less. I don't mind as my knee is still healing up from last year. I will go to the driving range sometime and see what happens.
GBB Fusion HT 13.5
GBB XR16 5 Wd/ BB Heavenwood
Aero Burner 5 Hybrid
GBB OS 6-pw
Ping Glide 50,54SS, 56 ES
Ping Redhead 66
B330RX

#110 Jack Pearsall

Jack Pearsall

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,241 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125708
GolfWRX Likes : 1165

Posted 19 January 2018 - 12:29 PM

No.

MacGregor PCB Tours...the leopard of irons.

Taylormade SLDR TP 430 9*
MacGregor MT 13*
Titleist 909H 17*
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21*
Mizuno Yoro MP-15 4-PW
Mizuno MP T7 52* 58*
Titleist SC Teryllium Two Newport Longneck

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#111 deadsolid...shank

deadsolid...shank

Legend

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 11,959 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99408
GolfWRX Likes : 8197

Posted 23 January 2018 - 05:49 PM

I just had a week of plain old suckiness.
Titleist 910 8.5
Titleist 910 15*
Titleist 910H 17*
2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
SC GoLo
Vokey SM5 52,58,62

#112 Pepperturbo

Pepperturbo

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,212 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14656
  • Handicap:lowS
GolfWRX Likes : 2840

Posted 23 January 2018 - 06:17 PM

Had another disgusting round last week, played sh***y.  I said it before and will again, no excuses sh*** rounds happen.   I am fine with that too, till buddies say they wish for my sh*** rounds.  What no one can hear is me mumbling why can they complain about sh*** rounds and I listen but I am not supposed to openly call my sh*** round what it is... LOL Perfect I will never be.  :beach:

Edited by Pepperturbo, 23 January 2018 - 06:18 PM.

Titleist 917D2 10.5, Project X 6C12 Tour Issue
Titleist 917F2, 15*, Diamana Blueboard 83 x5ct,"S"
Titleist 716T-MB 2 iron, PX Flighted 6.0
Titleist 716CB PW-3i, PX 6.0
SM6 F-52*, PX 6.0
SM6 M-58*, DGS200
SC California Monterey
ProV1x

#113 Hehateme

Hehateme

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2018 - 09:43 PM

Hit the ball absolutely flush all day yesterday, hit 15 greens--- 35 putts!!! UGGGHH

#114 thug the bunny

thug the bunny

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,726 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2018 - 10:18 PM

View PostHehateme, on 23 January 2018 - 09:43 PM, said:

Hit the ball absolutely flush all day yesterday, hit 15 greens--- 35 putts!!! UGGGHH

Does that suck or what? About half of your strokes going 150 - 500 yds, and another half to make up the remaining 1 - 50 ft. WTF??

#115 bigdave91

bigdave91

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 254026
GolfWRX Likes : 16

Posted 23 January 2018 - 11:46 PM

Probably the next round I play. Haven’t had the chance to play since last June. I spent July-October studying for the professional engineering exam most days after work. I work as an engineer for a construction company and we were in the final stages of the project also. Working 7 days a week and studying for the exam took all my time.

Hoping when I play this weekend that it won’t be too bad lol

At least I passed the exam and will not have to study for it again. It’s amazing how much you forget 4 years after college.

#116 bigred90gt

bigred90gt

Major Winner

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,725 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68580
GolfWRX Likes : 1254

Posted 24 January 2018 - 10:45 AM

Here lately, every time I step on a course. I played Sunday, managed to hit 86% of fairways, which is a number I donít think Iíve ever achieved honestly. I missed 1 per side. Proceeded to hit 1 GIR on the front and 2 on the back for a whoppin 17%, and 32 puts on the way to a crowd pleaser of an 87. Historically, my high scores have always come from fairway misses. Iíve worked so hard on my long game over the last few years, obviously neglecting my mid-short game. 100-200 yards is none my worst aspect of my game. Putting fluctuates flgreatly. I usually have anywhere from 27-33 putts per round, depending on how Iím chipping that day. It was a bit wet Sunday, and ever chip bit hard and stopped within a few feet of where it landed. Typically the greens at my home course are quite firm so they usually release. I just couldnít adjust and left myself a ton of 10ft+ putts

#117 NJpatbee

NJpatbee

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,445 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 266092
  • Handicap:16.3
GolfWRX Likes : 451

Posted 24 January 2018 - 12:18 PM

I was never better than a mid-teens HCP and a round in the mid-upper 80's is good for me.   I have had bad days where I push 100 or go over but I just write them off.  However, it has happened on two occasions in the last 15 years where I was unable to do anything with any club - I felt like I had never played before and was in semi-shock after both of those rounds.  My solution was to not touch a club for a week and in both cases I was right back to my normal game.  Temporary insanity? Brain fart?  I do not know but it is a strange experience.

#118 shifu

shifu

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 378242
GolfWRX Likes : 31

Posted 24 January 2018 - 12:31 PM

Yes, I always suck when I play.  But when you sink that 20 footer, chip in, or hit that long drive right down the fairway, that's what keeps me going!  :)

#119 kstateskier

kstateskier

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 473944
  • Handicap:14.6
GolfWRX Likes : 40

Posted 24 January 2018 - 01:33 PM

Usually I suck on my league night.  And play decent the rest of the week.
Whats in my bag:
2016 Cobra Fly Z+ driver, graphite shaft
2016 Cobra Fly Z 3 wood, graphite shaft
Adams Tight Lies, 5 fairway wood, steel shaft
Fly Z irons, 5-GW, +3 upright, 1/2" short, graphite shafts
Vokey wedges M grind, 50', 56' 60'
Omen Putter, Super Stroke 2.0
Srixon Soft white pure white golf ball or Calloway Super Soft

#120 0351Duffer

0351Duffer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 472820
GolfWRX Likes : 95

Posted 24 January 2018 - 02:28 PM

Is this a trick question?! :-P  I can be decent or suck from hole to hole and round to round! LOL  It depends on how my back feels, which way the birds fly, if there is voodoo magic in the area...etc... :-P

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors