Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Is playing high school golf team worthwhile?

66 replies to this topic

#61 Aquila

Aquila

"Deceptively simple and endlessly complicated..."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 458046
  • Handicap:7.8
GolfWRX Likes : 35

Posted 30 November 2017 - 04:48 PM

View Postleezer99, on 29 November 2017 - 01:44 PM, said:

View PostAquila, on 29 November 2017 - 01:42 PM, said:

I wouldn't want my kid to miss classes once a week for any sport, regardless of their prospects. Education takes priority.

So no HS sports whatsoever?
What other HS sport forces you to miss class?

Driver: Cobra King LTD Pro / Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.3 TS Stiff (tipped 1.25")
Fairway: TaylorMade SLDR TP 3HL / Fujikura Motore Speeder 8.3 TS Stiff (tipped 1")
Hybrids: TaylorMade SLDR TP 3 & 4 / Fujikura Motore Speeder 9.3 TS Stiff
Irons: Titleist DCI 962 4-PW / Brunswick FCM Precision Rifle 6.5
Wedges: Cleveland RTX-3 50*,54*,58* / KBS C-Taper 120 S (hard-stepped)
Putter: Ping Anser 3 / SuperStroke Flatso 1.0

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#62 farmer

farmer

Hall of Fame

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 6,475 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 70095
GolfWRX Likes : 2355

Posted 30 November 2017 - 08:08 PM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 30 November 2017 - 04:11 PM, said:

View Postfarmer, on 30 November 2017 - 02:33 PM, said:

I did not know that there are states where junior high kids are allowed to play varsity high school sports.  In Texas, to play in high school, you have to be in high school.  I went and looked at some class pictures of our kids, and the difference even between 7th and 8th grade was dramatic.  I don't think it's a good idea for a 7th grader to be knocking around with 18 year old seniors.  As to playing high school golf, in Texas, in the smaller classifications, we have FOOTBALL, then BASKetball, then TRack, then golf, tennis, and then OFFSEASON FOOTBALL.

That is crazy.  So if a small school has 6-12, or even K-12, a 7th grader can't play on the team so the school can field a team?
In Texas, we have 6 man football for small schools.  Rural small schools may not have a golf team, but if they do, they are made up of high school kids.  The smallest classification state winner has no golf course in town, so they have to travel about 15 miles to the nearest course, which is not a championship track by any definition of the term.  Their kids averaged about 80 at the state meet, which is remarkable considering that every one of those kids played football, basketball and ran track while fitting golf into their schedule.

#63 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
GolfWRX Likes : 985

Posted 30 November 2017 - 08:12 PM

View PostAquila, on 30 November 2017 - 04:48 PM, said:

View Postleezer99, on 29 November 2017 - 01:44 PM, said:

View PostAquila, on 29 November 2017 - 01:42 PM, said:

I wouldn't want my kid to miss classes once a week for any sport, regardless of their prospects. Education takes priority.

So no HS sports whatsoever?
What other HS sport forces you to miss class?

Depends.  Tennis, Baseball, Softball all depending on lights.  At our high school, lol, band of all things.

#64 UGPM

UGPM

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 490080
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 04 January 2018 - 04:04 AM

In most cases, it's worth it. If your son really wants to give himself an opportunity within professional golf, practicing it from a young age and combining it with the studies will give him the necessary consistency to face the future challenges in golf and university/college. In UGPM (University Golf Program Malaga), for example, students/players have the possibility to develop their personalities in golf and in life, in order to be ready for their professional success.
I will recommend you to ask him what he wants to do first, and if he agrees, go ahead!
in most cases, it's worth it. If your son really wants to give himself an opportunity within professional golf, practicing it from a young age and combining it with the studies will give him the necessary consistency to face the future challenges.

#65 blaird

blaird

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 63801
GolfWRX Likes : 424

Posted 04 January 2018 - 10:33 AM

Just depends on what you are looking for. It is very hard to get looked at by D2/1 programs just off high school scores but I know loads of kids who have gone to JUCO just playing high school golf.

The competition level is there. Every division (well just about) will have a few really good players, several others shooting 75-80, many more shooting 80-90, and others shooting higher so no matter your level there will be people there to compete with.

In Mississippi, you can play varsity sports starting in 7th grade. That doesnt mean that you will though as most all districts here have 7th grade teams, 8th grade teams, 9th grade teams, and JV/Varsity. But I have seen middle schoolers play/start in varsity golf, tennis, and volleyball. I want to say I have even seen an 8th grader or two start varsity basketball.

I coach girls' varsity golf now and last year 7 or my 9 girls were middle school. One of those played in all of our varsity events.

I played golf in 7th grade for our varsity team and made nearly all the trips. I had known all the seniors for a couple years from junior golf and it was the typical stuff from the seniors. They would pick on me/trash talk to me at practice then give me a ride to tournaments and a ride to or from practice. It was like the big brother experience, they would pick on me but only they could but would always take care of me if I needed a ride or something.

I loved high school golf. It was almost like a warm up for summer golf, which is what colleges look at. It gave me competition and tournament atmoshperes to help prepare me for the big tournaments I would play. I would definitely suggest playing high school golf.

#66 hardcorelooper

hardcorelooper

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 446740
  • Handicap:7.1
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 10 January 2018 - 10:59 PM

Should a 12 year old play HS golf?  Most likely, no.  But I'm sure there are some 12 year olds that could handle it.  Not many, but some.

Should a high school aged kid play HS golf?  Absolutely.  Not to attract college coaches, but for the opportunity to be a part of a team in what's otherwise an individual sport.  Some of my fondest memories of high school revolve around high school golf.  In NJ, nearly all of our play was after school, other than two tournaments a year.  I missed more school (much, much more school) being an editor for the school newspaper and constantly going to newspaper conferences.  Learning how to manage your time, make up work when you're out and teach yourself what you missed that day are skills that are invaluable in college and life afterward.

My daughter plays for her HS team here in VA, and interestingly, their season starts in early August.  They go through September and the first two weeks of October and then they're done.  A couple kids on her team squeeze in Cross Country as well, and my daughter's on the dance team.  They all need something else to do for the rest of the season.

#67 blaird

blaird

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 63801
GolfWRX Likes : 424

Posted 16 January 2018 - 10:18 AM

View Posthardcorelooper, on 10 January 2018 - 10:59 PM, said:

Should a 12 year old play HS golf?  Most likely, no.  But I'm sure there are some 12 year olds that could handle it.  Not many, but some.

Should a high school aged kid play HS golf?  Absolutely.  Not to attract college coaches, but for the opportunity to be a part of a team in what's otherwise an individual sport.  Some of my fondest memories of high school revolve around high school golf.  In NJ, nearly all of our play was after school, other than two tournaments a year.  I missed more school (much, much more school) being an editor for the school newspaper and constantly going to newspaper conferences.  Learning how to manage your time, make up work when you're out and teach yourself what you missed that day are skills that are invaluable in college and life afterward.

My daughter plays for her HS team here in VA, and interestingly, their season starts in early August.  They go through September and the first two weeks of October and then they're done.  A couple kids on her team squeeze in Cross Country as well, and my daughter's on the dance team.  They all need something else to do for the rest of the season.

I have tried for years to convince our local ADs to present to the state, changing golf from spring to fall. I have argued that our season should start as soon as we start school and would finish mid October. The weather is better, dont have to worry about it getting dark early, and courses seem to be a little more friendly since it isnt snowbird season. Every year though it gets shot down. A lot of coaches coach a sport in the spring and teams would be scrambling for a coach.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors