Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

To Slope or not to Slope...


  • Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 JerseyBoy

JerseyBoy

    Tour Winner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 482144
  • Joined: 09/18/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 481

Posted 24 November 2017 - 12:25 PM

As I am enjoying the game more and more and my ball striking is getting better and better, I'm seriously considering a Range Finder at this point. I've just started researching and keep seeing that if your Range Finder uses a Slope function, you can't post official Handicap Scores if you use it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm FAR away from doing that and will likely never play a Tourney in my life, so do you guys recommend getting a Range Finder with this function or not? Pros/Cons or any advice would be great! Thanks.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#2 Pigems

Pigems

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,425 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 246559
  • Joined: 04/21/2013
  • Location:Halifax, NS
  • Handicap:8.8
  • Ebay ID:Piggems
GolfWRX Likes : 17428

Posted 24 November 2017 - 01:10 PM

Iíd go with Slope. You can always turn it off if you are gonna post scores canít you?
910D2 9.5*- RIP Alpha 70x
910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

2

#3 JerseyBoy

JerseyBoy

    Tour Winner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 482144
  • Joined: 09/18/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 481

Posted 24 November 2017 - 08:24 PM

 Pigems, on 24 November 2017 - 01:10 PM, said:

I'd go with Slope. You can always turn it off if you are gonna post scores can't you?

I don't know. I haven't really seen that. Are there some that you can turn that function off?

Edited by JerseyBoy, 24 November 2017 - 08:24 PM.


3

#4 Londoner

Londoner

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,119 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 483738
  • Joined: 10/07/2017
  • Location:Sheffield England
  • Handicap:14
  • Ebay ID:Woofwoof666
GolfWRX Likes : 883

Posted 24 November 2017 - 08:39 PM

 JerseyBoy, on 24 November 2017 - 08:24 PM, said:

 Pigems, on 24 November 2017 - 01:10 PM, said:

I'd go with Slope. You can always turn it off if you are gonna post scores can't you?

I don't know. I haven't really seen that. Are there some that you can turn that function off?
Most new ones can. Some more easily than others. I will watch this with interest as im considering one. Our courses are very hilly.
I dont know how accurare the slope calculation is.
Mizuno mp h5. 4-W KBS tour stiff 2 iron modus 3 stiff.
taylormade m2 Driver + hl 3 wood
ping anser
Titleist sm6 50 +54
Cleveland 60

4

#5 JerseyBoy

JerseyBoy

    Tour Winner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 482144
  • Joined: 09/18/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 481

Posted 24 November 2017 - 08:47 PM

I just looked this up as the Range Finder I was looking at (Nikon Coolshot 40i, I can get it free with Airmiles Points) apparently can have the slope turned off, but then it is still not Tournament/handicap legal. Not exactly sure why, but I also read that with some other ones, you can remove the lens and place another one to make them Tournament/handicap legal.

So confused!


5

#6 ZBigStick

ZBigStick

    Practice Perfect Form

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,177 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 13111
  • Joined: 03/06/2006
  • Location:MCO
GolfWRX Likes : 986

Posted 24 November 2017 - 08:51 PM

I’d go for one with a slope feature that turns on and off.  I actually think the rules will again soften and allow scores with slope to be recorded for handicap.

http://www.golfrange...gefinder-legal/
M4 9.5˚(10˚) GD TP-6
BB Alpha 816 16˚(15˚) Rogue I/O 70
Apex 20˚ Kuro Kage Black 80

Z U45 23˚ Steelfiber i95
Z 745 5-PW Steelfiber i110 cw
TP EF 50.09, 54.11, 60.10 KBS Wedge

WH Pro #7
Pro V1 2017

Oakley Targetline

6

#7 JerseyBoy

JerseyBoy

    Tour Winner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 482144
  • Joined: 09/18/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 481

Posted 24 November 2017 - 08:53 PM

 ZBigStick, on 24 November 2017 - 08:51 PM, said:

I’d go for one with a slope feature that turns on and off.  I actually think the rules will again soften and allow scores with slope to be recorded for handicap.

http://www.golfrange...gefinder-legal/

Awesome! Thank you for the info!

7

#8 cristphoto

cristphoto

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,156 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 42981
  • Joined: 11/30/2007
  • Location:DC Metro
GolfWRX Likes : 654

Posted 25 November 2017 - 04:53 PM

I've been a skeptic of slope accuracy and could never justify the (typical) $100 upcharge over a non-slope model. That's why I purchased the non-slope Bushnell V4 laser. The slope model uses algorithms while the basic laser (obviously) doesn't. So lets say you have two golfers the same distance from a severely uphill green.  Golfer A needs 6-iron to reach while golfer B can reach with a 9-iron.  So golfer B can fly on while golfer A might contact ground prior to reaching the green and end up short.  The algorithm can't factor both scenarios accurately.  I've learned after over a lifetime of playing golf to be "somewhat" accurate guesstimating uphill and downhill adjustments.

8

#9 Londoner

Londoner

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,119 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 483738
  • Joined: 10/07/2017
  • Location:Sheffield England
  • Handicap:14
  • Ebay ID:Woofwoof666
GolfWRX Likes : 883

Posted 25 November 2017 - 04:58 PM

 cristphoto, on 25 November 2017 - 04:53 PM, said:

I've been a skeptic of slope accuracy and could never justify the (typical) $100 upcharge over a non-slope model. That's why I purchased the non-slope Bushnell V4 laser. The slope model uses algorithms while the basic laser (obviously) doesn't. So lets say you have two golfers the same distance from a severely uphill green.  Golfer A needs 6-iron to reach while golfer B can reach with a 9-iron.  So golfer B can fly on while golfer A might contact ground prior to reaching the green and end up short.  The algorithm can't factor both scenarios accurately.  I've learned after over a lifetime of playing golf to be "somewhat" accurate guesstimating uphill and downhill adjustments.
Thats been my concern. How can it estimate a yardage based on altitude when it has no idea what shot its trying to calculate for. I dont see it.
Mizuno mp h5. 4-W KBS tour stiff 2 iron modus 3 stiff.
taylormade m2 Driver + hl 3 wood
ping anser
Titleist sm6 50 +54
Cleveland 60

9

#10 ZBigStick

ZBigStick

    Practice Perfect Form

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,177 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 13111
  • Joined: 03/06/2006
  • Location:MCO
GolfWRX Likes : 986

Posted 27 November 2017 - 12:56 AM

I’m pretty sure it uses a pretty simple Pythagorean theory. No hocus pocus. It also gives you distance with and without slope simultaneously so you can see both and decide.
Most caddies use it when scouting a course on the professional tours, so that would be justification enough for me.
Distance is always only one part of the equation anyways, with or without slope. The laser range finder doesn’t tell you what trajectory to hit your shot, nor does it know the wind or temperature, which in part is why they are legal devices now.
The savings of getting a device without slope is real, but no need to be afraid of added features.

M4 9.5˚(10˚) GD TP-6
BB Alpha 816 16˚(15˚) Rogue I/O 70
Apex 20˚ Kuro Kage Black 80

Z U45 23˚ Steelfiber i95
Z 745 5-PW Steelfiber i110 cw
TP EF 50.09, 54.11, 60.10 KBS Wedge

WH Pro #7
Pro V1 2017

Oakley Targetline

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#11 groach

groach

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 122745
  • Joined: 02/21/2011
  • Location:Minnesota
  • Handicap:5.5
GolfWRX Likes : 53

Posted 29 November 2017 - 12:08 AM

Mine does not have a slope feature but my buddy has one.  After playing a few rounds with him and getting reads with his slope, I can pretty much guess what it's going to be now anyways, at least close enough. But I'd agree that it's better to get one with it if you can swing the extra cost.
Driver: Rogue Sub Zero - Fuji Pro X
3 Wood: Rogue Sub Zero - Fuji Pro X
3 Hybrid: Titleist 816 H2 - Speeder X
Irons (4-P): Mizuno MP-18 SC - CTaper X
Wedges (52,58): Mizuno T7 - CTaper X
Putter: TM Spider Tour #3
Ball: Chrome Soft Truvis
Glove: Titleist Players
Shoes: Ecco Biom G2 & FJ Pro SL
Bag: SM 4.5 LS 14 Way Stand
Push Cart: Clicgear 3.5

11

#12 RC207

RC207

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 275315
  • Joined: 09/09/2013
  • Handicap:2.4
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 29 November 2017 - 01:39 PM

 ZBigStick, on 27 November 2017 - 12:56 AM, said:

I’m pretty sure it uses a pretty simple Pythagorean theory. No hocus pocus. It also gives you distance with and without slope simultaneously so you can see both and decide.
Most caddies use it when scouting a course on the professional tours, so that would be justification enough for me.
Distance is always only one part of the equation anyways, with or without slope. The laser range finder doesn’t tell you what trajectory to hit your shot, nor does it know the wind or temperature, which in part is why they are legal devices now.
The savings of getting a device without slope is real, but no need to be afraid of added features.

You're right.
Ajusted Distance to Target = [Distance "as the crow flies" * (1 + tan(angle))]
i.e.  150 yds with a +5° slope = 163 yds

12

#13 golfwb

golfwb

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 250986
  • Joined: 05/16/2013
  • Location:Texas
GolfWRX Likes : 86

Posted 29 November 2017 - 03:38 PM

I had one without slope, it stopped working. Then I decided to get the slope, first one was stolen, the second one was run over by a soccer mom going 2 mph. Anywho, i decided just to go back to the non-sloped edition. As stated above i was always skeptical on the device not knowing the descending angle of the shot, which in my mind made the feature pointless. Good luck.
TM RBZ Stage 2 9.5* Oban White 65-04
TM M1 3hl 17* AD-DJ 7X
TM UDI 18* Attis International Proto MK 85X
Titleist 712U 22* Nippon Modus 3 120S
Srixon 745 5-PW Nippon Modus 3 120S
Titleist SM5 50,54,59 S200
TM Rossa Daytona (2007)

13

#14 GolfManCollin

GolfManCollin

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 323069
  • Joined: 06/24/2014
  • Location:South Florida
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 29 November 2017 - 05:25 PM

I bought the bushnell v4 without slope. It's my first one and I love it, I shoot everything now. I also live in Florida and rarely travel to play so the non-slope model was a no brainer. Haven't used any others but I absolutely love my bushnell

14

#15 kiwihacker

kiwihacker

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 284152
  • Joined: 11/14/2013
  • Location:Land of the long white cloud
GolfWRX Likes : 403

Posted 09 December 2017 - 04:26 PM

It's illegal so I won't get the slope version. If I did I might as well put a 15th club in the bag and use a leather foot wedge when stuck behind a tree.

I'm no great player but I do play in club tournaments and most rounds I play count for my handicap. No way I'm bagging something that's illegal.

Cobra King F6 Driver
15° Cleveland Launcher 3 wood
20.5°& 23° Cleveland DST Launcher hybrids
Mizuno MP 58 4-PW irons
Cleveland CG 12 52° & Callaway MD Forged 58°
Yes Tracy putter

15

#16 eddiebigeddie

eddiebigeddie

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 296925
  • Joined: 02/15/2014
  • Location:South Central Ky
  • Handicap:17
  • Ebay ID:eddiebigeddie
GolfWRX Likes : 365

Posted 10 December 2017 - 11:42 AM

I don’t think you guys without a rangefinder are understanding the slope vs nonslope.
Slope isn’t allowed in tournaments, but most new rangefinders have a way of shutting that off...thus making it legal for tournament play.
Also as stated above, it measures both the yardage to the “flag” or whatever your shooting and also the playing yardage due to slope. It doesn’t tell you it’s “20’ downhill at such and such altitude or what club to play and how to flight the shot. It simply gives you 2 yardage’s....true yardage and playing yardage due to slope. It’s still up to YOU to choose the right club and execute the shot.

And for the record I have had both slope and nonslope....and slope is the best one to have.
Cobra F8+ Volition (10.5d)……….Fujikura ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 6s
Cobra F6 Baffler (17.5)..................Project X HZRDUS Red 75s
Cobra F7 Hybrid (22)...............…..Aldila Tour Blue 85s

PXG 0311XF (6-Gw)………………
SM6 (54/14)............……………….Nippon Modus (115)
Taylormade Hi-Toe (60)............….KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 (115)

Mannkrafted MA/66 (Carbon)

Bennington LQO-9
GRINT...eddiebigeddie

16

#17 jbandalo

jbandalo

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 417148
  • Joined: 03/24/2016
  • Handicap:10.7
GolfWRX Likes : 18

Posted 10 December 2017 - 12:43 PM

Slope for sure. I think the slope vs no slope argument makes no sense. Itís just a matter of time before itís allowed anyways. Theyíre trying to speed up the pace of play and as many have said, recent rangefinders have the ability to turn it off anyways. In the end, you still have to make a shot either way and no rangefinder takes the shot.
Posted Image Epic SZ 9° Kuro Kage
Posted Image Epic SZ 3W 15° Kuro Kage
Posted Image Apex 3H 20° Kuro Kage
Posted Image Apex Pro 16 4-AW Posted ImageRecoil 110
Posted Image PM Grind 56°, 60° & 64°
Posted Image O-Works Red Ball
Posted Image Pioneer Bag

17

#18 Duke of Hazards

Duke of Hazards

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 57683
  • Joined: 06/10/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 31

Posted 11 December 2017 - 11:12 PM

 Londoner, on 25 November 2017 - 04:58 PM, said:

 cristphoto, on 25 November 2017 - 04:53 PM, said:

I've been a skeptic of slope accuracy and could never justify the (typical) $100 upcharge over a non-slope model. That's why I purchased the non-slope Bushnell V4 laser. The slope model uses algorithms while the basic laser (obviously) doesn't. So lets say you have two golfers the same distance from a severely uphill green.  Golfer A needs 6-iron to reach while golfer B can reach with a 9-iron.  So golfer B can fly on while golfer A might contact ground prior to reaching the green and end up short.  The algorithm can't factor both scenarios accurately.  I've learned after over a lifetime of playing golf to be "somewhat" accurate guesstimating uphill and downhill adjustments.
Thats been my concern. How can it estimate a yardage based on altitude when it has no idea what shot its trying to calculate for. I dont see it.

Leupold uses TGR (True Golf Range). When you first setup the device, you enter your carry distance for 4i, 6i, 8i. You can also enter altitude and temp before each round.  Based on your carry distances, it will adjust for slope differently. I've messed with it and it provides different distances for a long vs. short hitter.

Edited by Duke of Hazards, 11 December 2017 - 11:12 PM.


18

#19 Londoner

Londoner

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,119 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 483738
  • Joined: 10/07/2017
  • Location:Sheffield England
  • Handicap:14
  • Ebay ID:Woofwoof666
GolfWRX Likes : 883

Posted 12 December 2017 - 03:42 AM

 Duke of Hazards, on 11 December 2017 - 11:12 PM, said:

 Londoner, on 25 November 2017 - 04:58 PM, said:

 cristphoto, on 25 November 2017 - 04:53 PM, said:

I've been a skeptic of slope accuracy and could never justify the (typical) $100 upcharge over a non-slope model. That's why I purchased the non-slope Bushnell V4 laser. The slope model uses algorithms while the basic laser (obviously) doesn't. So lets say you have two golfers the same distance from a severely uphill green.  Golfer A needs 6-iron to reach while golfer B can reach with a 9-iron.  So golfer B can fly on while golfer A might contact ground prior to reaching the green and end up short.  The algorithm can't factor both scenarios accurately.  I've learned after over a lifetime of playing golf to be "somewhat" accurate guesstimating uphill and downhill adjustments.
Thats been my concern. How can it estimate a yardage based on altitude when it has no idea what shot its trying to calculate for. I dont see it.

Leupold uses TGR (True Golf Range). When you first setup the device, you enter your carry distance for 4i, 6i, 8i. You can also enter altitude and temp before each round.  Based on your carry distances, it will adjust for slope differently. I've messed with it and it provides different distances for a long vs. short hitter.
Now THAT , somebody has thought about.
Mizuno mp h5. 4-W KBS tour stiff 2 iron modus 3 stiff.
taylormade m2 Driver + hl 3 wood
ping anser
Titleist sm6 50 +54
Cleveland 60

19

#20 Boricua Golf

Boricua Golf

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,287 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 137445
  • Joined: 08/23/2011
  • Location:Fredericksburg, VA
  • Handicap:3.3
  • Ebay ID:luisito11*11
GolfWRX Likes : 1365

Posted 12 December 2017 - 07:41 AM

SLOPE is a must!!!, I have the V3 Slope Edition and just a few weeks ago my wife bought me the V4 (you can switch the slope option on and off), love them, love them, love them!!!, you will not regret getting one...good luck.

Driver---------------Ping G LS Tec 10.5*, Ping Tour 65X, tipped 1", 44.25"
FW Wood----------Ping G 14.5*, Diamana Whiteboard D+ 82X, tipped .5", 42.5"
Hybrid---------------Ping G 19*, Tour AD-DI 105X
Irons-----------------Ping iBlade 4-P, Project X 6.5 Flighted
Wedges-------------Ping Glide 50*, 54*, 58* with Project X 6.5 Flighted
Putter----------------Ping Karsten TR Zing Tour  32.75", built up Pingman Grip (Ping Oslo and Ping Nome TR as backup 33.25" with SS Pistol GT Tour 1.0)
Golf Ball-------------2017 Pro V1, K-Sigs and Chrome Soft X

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#21 YoungJedi

YoungJedi

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,076 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 367691
  • Joined: 03/23/2015
  • Location:Edina, Mn
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 594

Posted 13 December 2017 - 01:30 AM

it's an extremely valuable tool to better understand the elevation on your course and what "this one plays 1/2 club more" really means. Once you get a feel for it you dont need it anymore, but I use it all the time in casual rounds, and jot down notes in my yardage book for when im playing tourneys of what the elevation change is.

21

#22 Golfrnut

Golfrnut

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,962 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132818
  • Joined: 07/12/2011
  • Location:Eastern NC
GolfWRX Likes : 2307

Posted 13 December 2017 - 08:17 AM

I'd say it all depends on location.  If I still lived in the mountains and dealt with a lot of elevation changes...sure.  I live on the flat side of the Southeast US, there's hardly much in the way of elevation changes on most courses around here to really justify needing it honestly.
TM Supertri V2 w/ AD DI (Testing a new one that's on probation)
Callaway 3Deep w/ 73 BB or Stage 2 3W w/ 73 BB
Stage 2 3H w/ i80 Steelfiber
Callaway Apex UT 21* w/ i80 Steelfiber
Callaway X Prototype MBs 4-PW w/ Steelfiber AMI 99s
Callaway MD3 52* & 58* PM grind (both X100 8 iron SS)
Odyssey MXM 1W

22

#23 jah7838

jah7838

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 76786
  • Joined: 03/05/2009
  • Ebay ID:jah7838
GolfWRX Likes : 86

Posted 15 December 2017 - 11:47 AM

I've had a non-slope Leupold for a few years, and I've had an itch for a new rangefinder for a while now.  I told my wife I wanted a regular Bushnell Tour V4, so she was awesome and bought me the one with the Slope!  I don't know how useful it will be in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area, as I just moved back here after living in Houston for 9 years.  Slope function wasn't really necessary in the Houston area, but it'll be fun to mess around with just to see how much it changes club selection around here.
WITB
Driver: Cobra KING LTD Pro Aldila Rogue Silver 70s or Proforce V2 7F4
Fairway: Cobra Fly Z+ 3/4 set to 16* Attas Elements Earth 80s
Hybrids: 19* Adams XTD Super Hybrid Proforce V2 100s or 19* Adams VTS, 23 Adams Super 9031 S300
Irons:  5-PW Fly Z+ DGTI S400
Wedges: 50*, 54*, 58* TM Milled Grind Standard Bounch
Putter: Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can Finish

23



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors