Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Trip To Phoenix Area: Where To Play!!??

Phoenix

44 replies to this topic

#31 DrSchteeve

DrSchteeve

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,202 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3417
  • Handicap:12.9
  • Ebay ID:sstclairs
GolfWRX Likes : 710

Posted 25 November 2017 - 08:18 PM

View PostBirdieRoll, on 25 November 2017 - 07:43 PM, said:

I'd put Verde River on your short list. Desert layout. Fun track, overseed went well, and you've got to take a drive thru the desert just to get to the course.

Sadly Verse River was renovated poorly so the layout is worse as are reported conditions. They are also going private and may be discouraging visitors. Just 2 years ago it was a great track with no downside.

Edited by DrSchteeve, 25 November 2017 - 08:19 PM.

Callaway Epic Driver Matrix Red Tie 65Q4
Callaway Epic 3+ wood Matrix Red Tie 65Q4
Titleist 818 H1 18* and 21* Tensei Blue and 25* Tensei Red Hybrids
Titleist 816 AP1 6-GW Kuro Kage regular
Scratch DD 53 and 60
TM Tour Spider Day with Bettinardi spider CB long grip
OUUL stand bag
Titleist NXT Tour/Tour Soft

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#32 Chanceman

Chanceman

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 403162
  • Handicap:19
GolfWRX Likes : 100

Posted 11 January 2018 - 01:47 AM

We will be there for 10 days in November (late, hopefully after OS has all gone) and plan to play Pinnacle, Monument, Saguaro, Ak Chin, Quintero and Raptor plus 3 others from Talking Stick Oo'm, Boulders North, Wigwam gold, Big Wick, and TPC Champions. Missed any? Maybe even go up to Oak Creek at Sedona but not sure if it's worth the trip. Comments? Forgot Mountain Shadows.

#33 puttnforthe8

puttnforthe8

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,477 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 88323
GolfWRX Likes : 431

Posted 11 January 2018 - 10:08 AM

View PostChanceman, on 11 January 2018 - 01:47 AM, said:

We will be there for 10 days in November (late, hopefully after OS has all gone) and plan to play Pinnacle, Monument, Saguaro, Ak Chin, Quintero and Raptor plus 3 others from Talking Stick Oo'm, Boulders North, Wigwam gold, Big Wick, and TPC Champions. Missed any? Maybe even go up to Oak Creek at Sedona but not sure if it's worth the trip. Comments? Forgot Mountain Shadows.

Note:   Boulders swaps courses, so make sure North is available to play when you want.   While North is the better course, South is the more interesting and dramatic(view/layout).

Oak Creek may not be worth the trip on its own, but you could include Sedona Golf resort or try to get on Seven Canyons as well.

I would choose Verrado over Wigwam 99/100 times....you are talking a average resort layout versus a very good course with views and elevation.  Plus a 2nd course now.  

Not sure why you would exclude TPC Stadium if coming all the way to AZ.  Not that expensive in Nov.

Also, as a visitor, I would recommend you skip Talking Stick and replace with Dinosaur Mtn.....you will enjoy it more.

#34 Chanceman

Chanceman

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 403162
  • Handicap:19
GolfWRX Likes : 100

Posted 12 January 2018 - 08:44 AM

Have just noticed Raven. It does not get many comments. Is it worth considering as an option to say Boulders or Varrado?

#35 puttnforthe8

puttnforthe8

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,477 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 88323
GolfWRX Likes : 431

Posted 15 January 2018 - 05:28 PM

View PostChanceman, on 12 January 2018 - 08:44 AM, said:

Have just noticed Raven. It does not get many comments. Is it worth considering as an option to say Boulders or Varrado?

Most definitely not.....Raven is a simple/lackluster layout.  Not on the same level as the other two.  Usually it is a getaway or arrival/warmup round if anything for visitors

#36 TK3

TK3

TK3

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 25579
  • Handicap:7.3
  • Ebay ID:thomasjk3
GolfWRX Likes : 33

Posted 15 January 2018 - 05:29 PM

View PostMohigolf1207, on 22 November 2017 - 10:04 PM, said:

Hi there guys,

This is my first post here as I mostly just comb the classifieds, but I figured this would be a good way to use the community.  

My Dad and I are going on vacation to Phoenix in December (right around Christmas) for a tournament out there, but we are going a few days early to play some golf out in the desert.  We have never played golf in the area so I've been combing through everything I can find to pick out some courses that look nice, but you guys are my last filter here before I start to make some decisions.

A few criteria I have for the courses I'm looking at are; I want to feel like I'm playing DESERT golf (i.e. I want to see some cacti just off the course), good course conditions (mostly talking about the putting surface here), and a challenging and interesting layout.  I have three days to play, MAYBE could play 36 in one day, but I am looking for 2 courses < $100 per player and one that can be a bit over that. With that said here are a few I took a look at that seem in my range, but if there is something I'm really missing out on feel free to let me know.
  • Longbow Golf Club
  • Estrella Golf Club
  • Las Sendas Golf Club
  • Foothills Golf Club
  • Arizona Grand Golf Course
  • Grayhawk Golf Course
  • The Boulders
  • Troon North
  • We Ko Pa
  • Southern Dunes
Thanks for the help!

WeKoPa is all you need to know.  2 courses and all desert golf.  That said, The Boulders is very scenic and plays thru the desert as well.
My set-up:
Bag - Sun Mountain MPB
Driver - TaylorMade M2 with HoF Prototype
3 Wood - Rocketballz15* with Diamana Red M+
Hybrid - Rocketballz 3 hybrid
Irons - JDM Titleist VG3 4-PW irons with Nippon Modus 3 shafts
Wedges - Ping Glide 50* / 54* / 58*
Putter - Scotty Cameron GoLo 33"
Shoes - FJ Freestyle BOA
Ball - Srixon Z Star

#37 DrSchteeve

DrSchteeve

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,202 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2018 - 05:39 PM

View PostTK3, on 15 January 2018 - 05:29 PM, said:

View PostMohigolf1207, on 22 November 2017 - 10:04 PM, said:

Hi there guys,

This is my first post here as I mostly just comb the classifieds, but I figured this would be a good way to use the community.  

My Dad and I are going on vacation to Phoenix in December (right around Christmas) for a tournament out there, but we are going a few days early to play some golf out in the desert.  We have never played golf in the area so I've been combing through everything I can find to pick out some courses that look nice, but you guys are my last filter here before I start to make some decisions.

A few criteria I have for the courses I'm looking at are; I want to feel like I'm playing DESERT golf (i.e. I want to see some cacti just off the course), good course conditions (mostly talking about the putting surface here), and a challenging and interesting layout.  I have three days to play, MAYBE could play 36 in one day, but I am looking for 2 courses < $100 per player and one that can be a bit over that. With that said here are a few I took a look at that seem in my range, but if there is something I'm really missing out on feel free to let me know.
  • Longbow Golf Club
  • Estrella Golf Club
  • Las Sendas Golf Club
  • Foothills Golf Club
  • Arizona Grand Golf Course
  • Grayhawk Golf Course
  • The Boulders
  • Troon North
  • We Ko Pa
  • Southern Dunes
Thanks for the help!

WeKoPa is all you need to know.  2 courses and all desert golf.  That said, The Boulders is very scenic and plays thru the desert as well.

And both will be closer to $200 per round at that time, not the requested $100 or less.
Scratch DD 53 and 60
OUUL stand bag

#38 Mohigolf1207

Mohigolf1207

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 467032
  • Handicap:4.0
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 15 January 2018 - 09:21 PM

I just want to update you all on how everything went for us on our trip....

Our schedule went like this;
Day 1:  Fly out at 5:00 AM Denver time, arrive in PHX at ~7:00 AM, get rental car eat etc., then drive down to Ak-Chin for 10:30 AM tee time.
Day 2:  Play Longbow at 11:00 AM
Day 3:  Play We-Ko-Pa Saguaro at 10:00 AM
Day 4:  Play practice round at McCormick Ranch Palm at 7:40 AM
Day 5:  Play practice round at McCormick Ranch Pine at 7:40 AM
Day 6:  Tournament
Day 7:  Tournament
Day 8:  Play GC of Estrella at 12:30 PM

Final thoughts:
I LOVED Ak Chin Southern Dunes.  If I make it back out again that's a must play on my list which seems to be pretty consistent with everyone else's opinion.  I loved how the entire course was overseeded and I really enjoyed how the layout was not repetitive.  Overall the course was in great condition as well.  Also probably helped that I shot a 76 on 5 hours of sleep too but it is what it is :dntknw: .  

I thought Longbow was pretty nice, but a tough course for a first time play vacationing golfer.  The major reason for that play was to study it for the AJGA I'll likely play in this coming spring.  I'm an aviation guy so I loved being buzzed by old bombers all day, and because it was so close to Christmas there weren't any Apaches.  Course wasn't fully overseeded (fairways, greens and tee boxes only) and that was a minus for me as well.  Tough layout but probably wouldn't recommend if you've never played there before.  

We-Ko-Pa was a BEAUTIFUL course.  Unfortunately I decided I could play a par 71 at 7,100 yards not at my normal elevation??  That kind of ruined my experience on the back nine where there was a ton of elevation change and it was a challenge to hit long irons into confusing greens.  I found the front nine more appealing, and maybe a little less gimmicky, so I enjoyed that a little more.  This is a would recommend but I think it would be a good idea to play a bit of an easier tee box due to the elevation changes on the back nine, plus you'll want to just enjoy your round.  Again not fully overseeded (fairways, greens and tee boxes only) which was a minus but not the end of the world, especially when the greens are rolling a likely 12.

McCormick Ranch...........
Let's move on here

GC of Estrella was an interesting course, but I think I was a little wiped out at this point and was ready to be done.  A nice layout in my opinion.  Had some houses on it but nothing that really severely detracted from the overall feel of the course.  The last 2 holes were absolutely beautiful especially as the sun was setting as we played them.  Unfortunately for some reason they decided to only oversee tee boxes and fairways.  It was quite apparent as I have played all kinds of grass that the greens we were putting on were crusty painted Bermuda.  The ball wouldn't quite stay on line and it was impossible to set my putter down without it sliding which made it really difficult to line up anything.  Probably a yes from me in the spring when everything is alive again but in the winter with that overseeding probably a no.

Overall a wonderful trip that went off pretty flawlessly thanks to all of your suggestions and feedback.  I think you guys are all the secret to planning a great trip, and I'm giving you all full credit for the great time we had.
Callaway XR 9.5* --- Tour AD-DJ 6s
Ping G25 15* --- Stock Ping Shaft
Mizuno JPX-900 Tour 3-pw --- KBS C-Taper Lite 110
Cleveland ROTEX 3.0 50*/10* 54*/8* 58*/8*
Ping Vault Milled Anser 2

#39 thed0n

thed0n

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 471260
  • Handicap:13.4
  • Ebay ID:d0nny
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 02 February 2018 - 06:18 PM

Just did the trip myself...best value is to score a $99 tee time on the TPC Champions booking it online for around 10 a.m.  They always have a few reduced rates each day.  You'll finish up right as happy hour starts, so cruise on over to the happy hour at Toro which is the Latin restaurant across the street at the TPC Stadium.

Saguro is great too.  But at $187 or so, it's not 100% better (based on price) than TPC Champions with a happy hour at Toro.  Don't go this weekend though.
WITB-
TM 2017 M2 D-Type *9.5 w/ Matrix Ozik MFS Q4 Red Tie Stiff
Cobra Bio Cell *14.5 w/ Aldila Rogue 70 Stiff (not tipped)
Adams XTD Ti *18 w/ Matrix Ozik Red Tie HQ3 Stiff
Adams DHy *21 w/ Matrix Ozik Red Tie HQ3 Stiff
Callaway Apex Forged CF 16 5-PW, AW w/ TT XP95 Stiff
Mizuno S5 *56.14 and *60.06 w/ TT Dynamic Gold
SeeMore SI1 w/ Super Stroke Fatso 1.0

#40 golf1836

golf1836

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 121533
  • Handicap:9.6
  • Ebay ID:golf-n-stuff
GolfWRX Likes : 44

Posted 22 February 2018 - 09:35 AM

We use club west as a warm up course. we go there straight from the airport.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#41 magnus7319

magnus7319

A hungry dog hunts best - Lee Trevino

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,045 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 65254
  • Handicap:+2.2
GolfWRX Likes : 417

Posted 23 February 2018 - 07:17 PM

Just got back this week. Club West is coming back nicely. Give it a year it will be very very good. New owners pumping $$ back into it.

Gotta play ASU Karsten before they bulldoze it if you've never played it. Pete Dye 1989 design. It gets a ton of play and looks like it but it's a fun track. Greens are still tricky and it's fun to move the ball around there. Too bad all the construction and industry crowd it out. Not a clean view left on the course without power lines or buildings on top of you. Play it before it's gone so you can say you did.
M2 or G400 or Epic ?
Titleist 716 T-MB 2 iron
Titleist Blades when I feel lucky otherwise some AP2 or Pings
Vokey 54
Ping Eye 2 SW
I love/hate every one of my 17 putters

#42 DrSchteeve

DrSchteeve

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,202 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2018 - 07:50 PM

View Postmagnus7319, on 23 February 2018 - 07:17 PM, said:

Just got back this week. Club West is coming back nicely. Give it a year it will be very very good. New owners pumping $$ back into it.

Gotta play ASU Karsten before they bulldoze it if you've never played it. Pete Dye 1989 design. It gets a ton of play and looks like it but it's a fun track. Greens are still tricky and it's fun to move the ball around there. Too bad all the construction and industry crowd it out. Not a clean view left on the course without power lines or buildings on top of you. Play it before it's gone so you can say you did.

Or never play it and count yourself lucky.
Scratch DD 53 and 60
OUUL stand bag

#43 cbbaron

cbbaron

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 346439
  • Handicap:11.2
GolfWRX Likes : 223

Posted 23 February 2018 - 08:55 PM

View Postmagnus7319, on 23 February 2018 - 07:17 PM, said:

I played it first trip to AZ in 99 been to valley 45 or so times since NEVER played it again
Driver Ping G400 Max
3w Titleist 915
19 degree  Titleist 818
22 degree  Titleist 818
5- UW    Ping I200
Sw Vokey 54 S grind
LW Vokey 58 S grind
Putter Ping Wolverine T

#44 One_Putt_Blunder

One_Putt_Blunder

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,155 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 56737
GolfWRX Likes : 4093

Posted 23 February 2018 - 09:55 PM

Don't forget to let me know when the official bulldozing of Karsten starts so i can bring some champagne to celebrate.
@oneputtblunder
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
WITB Link

#45 magnus7319

magnus7319

A hungry dog hunts best - Lee Trevino

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,045 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 65254
  • Handicap:+2.2
GolfWRX Likes : 417

Posted 23 February 2018 - 10:05 PM

Lol. I guess I didn't think it was that bad. I was just enjoying the day as it was snowing back home in NY.

I guess next time I'm out that way I'll have to investigate better options then. 👍

I'll look into these other courses mentioned here. They look like they'd be much better.

Edited by magnus7319, 23 February 2018 - 10:17 PM.

M2 or G400 or Epic ?
Titleist 716 T-MB 2 iron
Titleist Blades when I feel lucky otherwise some AP2 or Pings
Vokey 54
Ping Eye 2 SW
I love/hate every one of my 17 putters

Also tagged with Phoenix

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors