Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Trip To Phoenix Area: Where To Play!!??

Phoenix

44 replies to this topic

#1 Mohigolf1207

Mohigolf1207

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 467032
  • Handicap:4.0
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 22 November 2017 - 10:04 PM

Hi there guys,

This is my first post here as I mostly just comb the classifieds, but I figured this would be a good way to use the community.  

My Dad and I are going on vacation to Phoenix in December (right around Christmas) for a tournament out there, but we are going a few days early to play some golf out in the desert.  We have never played golf in the area so I've been combing through everything I can find to pick out some courses that look nice, but you guys are my last filter here before I start to make some decisions.

A few criteria I have for the courses I'm looking at are; I want to feel like I'm playing DESERT golf (i.e. I want to see some cacti just off the course), good course conditions (mostly talking about the putting surface here), and a challenging and interesting layout.  I have three days to play, MAYBE could play 36 in one day, but I am looking for 2 courses < $100 per player and one that can be a bit over that. With that said here are a few I took a look at that seem in my range, but if there is something I'm really missing out on feel free to let me know.
  • Longbow Golf Club
  • Estrella Golf Club
  • Las Sendas Golf Club
  • Foothills Golf Club
  • Arizona Grand Golf Course
  • Grayhawk Golf Course
  • The Boulders
  • Troon North
  • We Ko Pa
  • Southern Dunes
Thanks for the help!

Callaway XR 9.5* --- Tour AD-DJ 6s
Ping G25 15* --- Stock Ping Shaft
Mizuno JPX-900 Tour 3-pw --- KBS C-Taper Lite 110
Cleveland ROTEX 3.0 50*/10* 54*/8* 58*/8*
Ping Vault Milled Anser 2

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 mmcgwire67

mmcgwire67

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 389188
  • Handicap:3.0
GolfWRX Likes : 28

Posted 23 November 2017 - 01:14 AM

Definitely play Ak-Chin. I love that course. Fast pace of play and interesting holes. Definitely worth the drive.  

I have also played Grayhawk (Raptor). I though Ak-Chin had more character. Still fun though.
Taylormade M2 9.5* w/ Matrix Black Tie 80M4 X Flex
Callaway XR16 Pro 16* w/ Speeder Evolution II TS
Callaway XR16 19* w/ Aldila RIP Alpha
Titleist 712U 2 iron (18* bent to 15*) w/ UST Recoil 125 F5
Titleist 714 CB 4-PW w/ DG X100
Scor 4161 - 51* & 59*
Bettinardi Kuchar #1 Armlock @ 42.5"
Srixon Z Star XV

#3 mckennwa

mckennwa

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 38587
  • Handicap:6
  • Ebay ID:bill-rhit
GolfWRX Likes : 77

Posted 23 November 2017 - 07:41 AM

Longbow is a good desert course. Southern Dunes a bit less so, but it is truly special and a great value. Definitely splurge on WeKoPa. Youíll love the course, conditions and desert feel.

#4 puttnforthe8

puttnforthe8

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,573 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 88323
GolfWRX Likes : 461

Posted 23 November 2017 - 08:50 AM

View PostMohigolf1207, on 22 November 2017 - 10:04 PM, said:

Hi there guys,

This is my first post here as I mostly just comb the classifieds, but I figured this would be a good way to use the community.  

My Dad and I are going on vacation to Phoenix in December (right around Christmas) for a tournament out there, but we are going a few days early to play some golf out in the desert.  We have never played golf in the area so I've been combing through everything I can find to pick out some courses that look nice, but you guys are my last filter here before I start to make some decisions.

A few criteria I have for the courses I'm looking at are; I want to feel like I'm playing DESERT golf (i.e. I want to see some cacti just off the course), good course conditions (mostly talking about the putting surface here), and a challenging and interesting layout.  I have three days to play, MAYBE could play 36 in one day, but I am looking for 2 courses < $100 per player and one that can be a bit over that. With that said here are a few I took a look at that seem in my range, but if there is something I'm really missing out on feel free to let me know.
  • Longbow Golf Club - average
  • Estrella Golf Club - good course, long way from everything
  • Las Sendas Golf Club - ok course; not a locals favorite but ok
  • Foothills Golf Club - terrible shape and not worth anything over $6
  • Arizona Grand Golf Course - one of the worst in the Southwest!!!
  • Grayhawk Golf Course - good courses, very expensive
  • The Boulders - too expensive, not worth the $, but go ahead if you want the views
  • Troon North - Play Pinnacle
  • We Ko Pa - the best of the bunch
  • Southern Dunes - 2nd best
Thanks for the help!

#5 dtm6582

dtm6582

dtm6582

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 122477
  • Ebay ID:dtm6582
GolfWRX Likes : 82

Posted 23 November 2017 - 08:53 AM

You'll want to do 2 things stat OP.  First, pop over to the Southwest forum and take a look at the golf courses stickied thread.  Second, take Arizona Grand off your list.

That said, for your expensive round We-Ko-Pa Saguaro.  Southern Dunes doesn't really feel like a desert course but it would be my first ~$100 recommendation.  If you want a cheap "desert" course go with Aguila.

#6 crazy8golfer

crazy8golfer

Major Winner

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 208081
  • Handicap:7
  • Ebay ID:slk320-pmi
GolfWRX Likes : 463

Posted 23 November 2017 - 09:48 AM

Hi there guys,

• Longbow Golf Club
  • Estrella Golf Club
  • Las Sendas Golf Club
  • Foothills Golf Club
  • Grayhawk Golf Course
  • The Boulders
  • Troon North
  • We Ko Pa
  • Southern Dunes
Thanks for the help!

We Ko Pa  :stop:

#7 Mohigolf1207

Mohigolf1207

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2017 - 10:59 AM

View Postcrazy8golfer, on 23 November 2017 - 09:48 AM, said:

Hi there guys,

• Longbow Golf Club
  • Estrella Golf Club
  • Las Sendas Golf Club
  • Foothills Golf Club
  • Grayhawk Golf Course
  • The Boulders
  • Troon North
  • We Ko Pa
  • Southern Dunes
Thanks for the help!

We Ko Pa  :stop:

Which course at We Ko Pa?  Feels like I'm hearing a lot abut Saguaro but why is that?  From the images on the website it seems to be the less remarkable of the two...

#8 MyShortGameSucks

MyShortGameSucks

His doesn't....

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,264 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 18898
  • Handicap:3
  • Ebay ID:Yippy77
GolfWRX Likes : 358

Posted 23 November 2017 - 11:15 AM

Re We-Po-Ka just do it :).  I just posted in the Phoenix course conditions thread.  We played 36 holes on Tuesday and both courses are stunning.  I preferred the layout and challenge of Cholla better but Saguaro is more foregiving off the tee and was in better condition.  You really cannot go wrong with either.   If you are playing in the afternoon, grab a beer/cocktail on the  patio afterwards and hang around for sunset stunning!

Edited by MyShortGameSucks, 23 November 2017 - 12:23 PM.

Callaway Epic Sub Zero Custom All-Black 10.5 deg, Diamana Ahina 60x
TM 790 UDI 2 iron / PX Hzrdus 85
Titleist 816H1 19 deg, Fuji 88H  
Titleist 816H2 23 deg, Fuji 88H
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-7,  Tour 8-PW.  Nippon Modus 105x
Mizuno S18, 50, 54, 58 deg - Nippon Modus 120s
SC Futura XR / SC Golo 5 / SC Notchback
Bridgestone B330 - B

#9 Roadking2003

Roadking2003

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,309 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 406342
  • Handicap:8.7
GolfWRX Likes : 2150

Posted 23 November 2017 - 11:41 AM

• Longbow Golf Club
  • Estrella Golf Club
  • Las Sendas Golf Club
  • Foothills Golf Club
  • Grayhawk Golf Course
  • The Boulders
  • Troon North
  • We Ko Pa
  • Southern Dunes
Thanks for the help!

I've played six on your list and would put Boulders, Troon North and Las Sendas at the top.

#10 puttnforthe8

puttnforthe8

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,573 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 88323
GolfWRX Likes : 461

Posted 23 November 2017 - 07:22 PM

View PostRoadking2003, on 23 November 2017 - 11:41 AM, said:

• Longbow Golf Club
  • Estrella Golf Club
  • Las Sendas Golf Club
  • Foothills Golf Club
  • Grayhawk Golf Course
  • The Boulders
  • Troon North
  • We Ko Pa
  • Southern Dunes
Thanks for the help!

I've played six on your list and would put Boulders, Troon North and Las Sendas at the top.

Very bad advice here!  Troon North is fine...but way off on Boulders and Las Sendas!

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 az2au

az2au

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,570 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 185434
  • Handicap:3.6
GolfWRX Likes : 707

Posted 23 November 2017 - 09:23 PM

View Postputtnforthe8, on 23 November 2017 - 07:22 PM, said:

• Longbow Golf Club
  • Estrella Golf Club
  • Las Sendas Golf Club
  • Foothills Golf Club
  • Grayhawk Golf Course
  • The Boulders
  • Troon North
  • We Ko Pa
  • Southern Dunes
Thanks for the help!

Very bad advice here!  Troon North is fine...but way off on Boulders and Las Sendas!

Agree 100%. Boulders is ho hum neighborhood golf, Las Sendas is mediocre.

Also, seriously, Cholla is a barely mediocre golf course that is repetitive and boring with good views. Saguaro provides multiple strategic options and is the best public course in the area. Do not play Cholla unless you just love boring cart ball.

#12 Mohigolf1207

Mohigolf1207

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2017 - 12:34 AM

View Postaz2au, on 23 November 2017 - 09:23 PM, said:

View Postputtnforthe8, on 23 November 2017 - 07:22 PM, said:

• Longbow Golf Club
  • Estrella Golf Club
  • Las Sendas Golf Club
  • Foothills Golf Club
  • Grayhawk Golf Course
  • The Boulders
  • Troon North
  • We Ko Pa
  • Southern Dunes
Thanks for the help!

Agree 100%. Boulders is ho hum neighborhood golf, Las Sendas is mediocre.

Also, seriously, Cholla is a barely mediocre golf course that is repetitive and boring with good views. Saguaro provides multiple strategic options and is the best public course in the area. Do not play Cholla unless you just love boring cart ball.

Is Saguaro the Southwest course?  Im looking at it on Google Maps and I'm just looking at the southwest course at We Ko Pa and that's the one that looks the most intriguing

#13 az2au

az2au

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,570 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2017 - 01:02 AM

Nope, SW is Cholla. Count the number of FWs that have something in the middle. Play whatever you like. I just think that Cholla is a very weak course in every way compared to Saguaro.

#14 MyShortGameSucks

MyShortGameSucks

His doesn't....

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,264 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 18898
  • Handicap:3
  • Ebay ID:Yippy77
GolfWRX Likes : 358

Posted 24 November 2017 - 05:10 AM

View Postaz2au, on 24 November 2017 - 01:02 AM, said:

Nope, SW is Cholla. Count the number of FWs that have something in the middle. Play whatever you like. I just think that Cholla is a very weak course in every way compared to Saguaro.

Well having played both recently in ideal conditions I would have to disagree with your take on Cholla vs Saguaro :) They are very different types of courses off of the tee so I can see how someone could favor one over the other.  Personally I ( and my son) preferred the more challenging tee shots on Cholla vs Saguaro.  For what it's worth, consensus amongst the staff I chatted with Was that Cholla was their favorite.  Just out of interest what other courses in the Area do you like?  We only saw Greyhawk and Wildfire on our trip.
Callaway Epic Sub Zero Custom All-Black 10.5 deg, Diamana Ahina 60x
TM 790 UDI 2 iron / PX Hzrdus 85
Titleist 816H1 19 deg, Fuji 88H  
Titleist 816H2 23 deg, Fuji 88H
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-7,  Tour 8-PW.  Nippon Modus 105x
Mizuno S18, 50, 54, 58 deg - Nippon Modus 120s
SC Futura XR / SC Golo 5 / SC Notchback
Bridgestone B330 - B

#15 az2au

az2au

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,570 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2017 - 08:05 AM

View PostMyShortGameSucks, on 24 November 2017 - 05:10 AM, said:

Well having played both recently in ideal conditions I would have to disagree with your take on Cholla vs Saguaro :) They are very different types of courses off of the tee so I can see how someone could favor one over the other.  Personally I ( and my son) preferred the more challenging tee shots on Cholla vs Saguaro.  For what it's worth, consensus amongst the staff I chatted with Was that Cholla was their favorite.  Just out of interest what other courses in the Area do you like?  We only saw Greyhawk and Wildfire on our trip.
I donít find the tee shots on Cholla particularly challenging but rather repetitive instead and I would tell you that I donít really know anyone that prefers Cholla but, as I always say, none of us are right on this stuff. It is all a matter of opinion.  Also, not sure which tees you were playing but my opinion is formed off the tips and that definitely can make a difference in the tee shots. There are several places on Saguaro where choosing the wrong side of the FW impacts ability to score substantially. 2 being the first example but the same can be said for 3, 6, 7, 10, 13, 14 and 16. I canít think of a place where anything other than being in the FW matters on Cholla although Iím sure there are circumstances where it would apply. I also find the par 3s superior at Saguaro.  

I generally agree with OPBís overall ranking in the SW forum with a couple of small exceptions. Cholla is definitely the top of that exceptions list.  http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/179150-traveling-to-phoenixsome-course-info-for-you/

Grayhawk (thereís no e) Raptor is one of the better public courses around here but it is behind both Saguaro and Troon North Pinnacle in my opinion.

#16 mikedejong

mikedejong

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 90109
  • Handicap:4.1
GolfWRX Likes : 331

Posted 24 November 2017 - 11:59 AM

For an out of towner (like myself), the courses we like to play include: Quintero, Cholla, Dinosaur Mtn., etc. Guys who live there are definitely looking for something different in their golf and I get that. I have played Saguaro, Talking Stick North, and a few others that are always recommended. I honestly find them boring... More well designed, walkable, and strategic? Yeah probably. But when I travel to play, I like playing something totally different from what I have where I am from. Yeah, courses like Quintero and Cholla are more gimmicky and contrived, and if I had to live and play there everyday my opinion might change too. The one suggestion that I took from the guys on here that cannot be argued with is Southern Dunes. It is awesome and I play there every time down. It is number 1 on my list too. But I am with the majority of the out of towners: I would play Quintero and Cholla over Saguara all day long. I like the courses at Troon North, Whirlwind, I like Dinosaur Mountain, I don't even mind Las Sendas (too expensive, too busy, and too many houses for what it is, but its kind of fun to play). I don't walking a priority when I am traveling to play, and I want something completely different. Up hill, down hill, side hill, mountains, elevation, fast greens, desert areas. Again, the priorities would change if I lived there and had to find places to play on a regular basis, but guys coming in from out of town typically want to see something different. Just my 2 cents.
TM R9 Supertri TP
TM R9 3 Wood TP
Adams Pro Black 3 Hybrid
Wilson Staff FG62 4-PW (or Ping I200 4-9)
Wilson Staff FG Tour 52-56-60 (or Ping Glide 2.0 46-50-56-60)
Scotty Cameron GOLO

#17 az2au

az2au

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,570 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2017 - 12:15 PM

FWIW, I always recommend Quintero to our out of town visitors even though I think it is a legitimately bad golf course. I canít say the same for Dinosaur Mountain but depending on who I am talking to I will often throw it out there as well. Cholla, however, I just canít see with the same views and better course being next door.

Also, I always assume that no visitor will be walking even though I walk >95% of the time so that isnít a factor unless asked. Additionally, I have never recommended TSN to a visitor because I would assume they would find it boring. It is fine but nothing great. Iím spoiled and very fortunate, even though Iíve played all of these courses virtually 100% of my golf in a given year is played on private courses (easy to tell which ones by my avatar). So I generally only speak in terms of recommendations for visitors.

#18 Argonne69

Argonne69

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,566 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102839
GolfWRX Likes : 23111

Posted 24 November 2017 - 12:39 PM

We Ko Pa is literally in the middle of the desert. If you don't want to be staring at homes along the course, the two courses here are the ones to play. 'Also very easy to get in 36 in one day. 'Probably a bit more expensive than you'd like, but worth it.

Southern Dunes would be my 2nd choice. A bit of a drive, but a solid layout with no homes in the area.

I'd didn't care for Longbow because of its location at the end of Falcon Field. 'Decent course, but I don't like Cessnas buzzing my head every few minutes.

I'd take the Troon North courses over Boulders or Grayhawk, but they still have too many homes around the courses for my liking.

Quintero isn't bad, but it's a bit of a hike from Scottsdale.

#19 mikedejong

mikedejong

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2017 - 12:51 PM

View Postaz2au, on 24 November 2017 - 12:15 PM, said:

FWIW, I always recommend Quintero to our out of town visitors even though I think it is a legitimately bad golf course. I can't say the same for Dinosaur Mountain but depending on who I am talking to I will often throw it out there as well. Cholla, however, I just can't see with the same views and better course being next door.

Also, I always assume that no visitor will be walking even though I walk >95% of the time so that isn't a factor unless asked. Additionally, I have never recommended TSN to a visitor because I would assume they would find it boring. It is fine but nothing great. I'm spoiled and very fortunate, even though I've played all of these courses virtually 100% of my golf in a given year is played on private courses (easy to tell which ones by my avatar). So I generally only speak in terms of recommendations for visitors.

No, all of that is fair, and I agree with you: opinions are just that, nobody is right or wrong. I just think there is a massive divide between what the locals like and what out of towners like me like, for various reasons. By the way, I will be staying and playing at Diamante in February. I cannot wait and am really looking forward to it. Any tips or suggestions? We have times booked at Tigers course, DL III's course, and I guess there is a short par 3 course.
TM R9 Supertri TP
TM R9 3 Wood TP
Adams Pro Black 3 Hybrid
Scotty Cameron GOLO

#20 az2au

az2au

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,570 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2017 - 01:17 PM

View Postmikedejong, on 24 November 2017 - 12:51 PM, said:

FWIW, I always recommend Quintero to our out of town visitors even though I think it is a legitimately bad golf course. I can't say the same for Dinosaur Mountain but depending on who I am talking to I will often throw it out there as well. Cholla, however, I just can't see with the same views and better course being next door.

Also, I always assume that no visitor will be walking even though I walk >95% of the time so that isn't a factor unless asked. Additionally, I have never recommended TSN to a visitor because I would assume they would find it boring. It is fine but nothing great. I'm spoiled and very fortunate, even though I've played all of these courses virtually 100% of my golf in a given year is played on private courses (easy to tell which ones by my avatar). So I generally only speak in terms of recommendations for visitors.

No, all of that is fair, and I agree with you: opinions are just that, nobody is right or wrong. I just think there is a massive divide between what the locals like and what out of towners like me like, for various reasons. By the way, I will be staying and playing at Diamante in February. I cannot wait and am really looking forward to it. Any tips or suggestions? We have times booked at Tigers course, DL III's course, and I guess there is a short par 3 course.

Iíll be there tomorrow through 12/2 so I will send you a bunch of up to date info as I havenít been down since May. The Oasis course is the short course. We havenít played it yet but taking the in laws out there Monday or Tuesday.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 mikedejong

mikedejong

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2017 - 01:23 PM

View Postaz2au, on 24 November 2017 - 01:17 PM, said:

View Postmikedejong, on 24 November 2017 - 12:51 PM, said:

I'll be there tomorrow through 12/2 so I will send you a bunch of up to date info as I haven't been down since May. The Oasis course is the short course. We haven't played it yet but taking the in laws out there Monday or Tuesday.

Sounds great, thank you. Have fun and play well! I look forward to hearing some stories and seeing some pictures maybe.
Thanks,
TM R9 Supertri TP
TM R9 3 Wood TP
Adams Pro Black 3 Hybrid
Scotty Cameron GOLO

#22 DavePelz4

DavePelz4

Legend

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 23,055 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 69051
GolfWRX Likes : 24109

Posted 24 November 2017 - 01:37 PM

One of my favorite courses is Dinosaur Mountain.  You'll get different opinions from AZ crowd and I'm ducking as I'm posting but its one of my favorite tracks.  The Raven at Verrado is also top notch.

Edited by DavePelz4, 24 November 2017 - 01:39 PM.

#23 One_Putt_Blunder

One_Putt_Blunder

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,223 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 56737
GolfWRX Likes : 4213

Posted 24 November 2017 - 01:39 PM

View Postaz2au, on 24 November 2017 - 08:05 AM, said:

View PostMyShortGameSucks, on 24 November 2017 - 05:10 AM, said:

I don't find the tee shots on Cholla particularly challenging but rather repetitive instead and I would tell you that I don't really know anyone that prefers Cholla but, as I always say, none of us are right on this stuff. It is all a matter of opinion.  Also, not sure which tees you were playing but my opinion is formed off the tips and that definitely can make a difference in the tee shots. There are several places on Saguaro where choosing the wrong side of the FW impacts ability to score substantially. 2 being the first example but the same can be said for 3, 6, 7, 10, 13, 14 and 16. I can't think of a place where anything other than being in the FW matters on Cholla although I'm sure there are circumstances where it would apply. I also find the par 3s superior at Saguaro.  

I generally agree with OPB's overall ranking in the SW forum with a couple of small exceptions. Cholla is definitely the top of that exceptions list.  http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/179150-traveling-to-phoenixsome-course-info-for-you/

Grayhawk (there's no e) Raptor is one of the better public courses around here but it is behind both Saguaro and Troon North Pinnacle in my opinion.

AZ2AU is not wrong RE Cholla

Part of the problem with my ranking is not necessarily Cholla itself, it is a decent, but not a great course, Improving 8 helped it. The rankings start to really show once you get outside the top 5 there really is not that much "great" public golf in PHX. I mean Monument is the only one I could realistically see moving up a spot to overtake it. Talon got a bump down because it has an island green. The original layout at Verde River may have been worthy of being above Cholla too but not in Verde's current form. As a whole my rotations at Wekopa has been something like 100 rounds on Saguaro and 15 maybe 20 on Cholla. Those rounds are usually at request of out of state friends or during Saguaro maintenance windows.    

Also I would not take what the staff has to say at face value, pretty sure I have heard them say the opposite when people come back in saying how much they like Saguaro.
@oneputtblunder
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
WITB Link

#24 DrSchteeve

DrSchteeve

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,274 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3417
  • Handicap:12.9
  • Ebay ID:sstclairs
GolfWRX Likes : 738

Posted 24 November 2017 - 05:42 PM

Southern Dunes, don't miss it, and it won't break the bank. I think you will find it desert-y enough for what you are looking for.  Play both at Wekopa (if you can afford them, they aren't really in your described budget for December), then you can form your own opinion - they are as pure desert golf as you are going to get. No question Saguaro is the better course, from a strategic golf standpoint - it's really not close. But Cholla has its charms, and for visitors it is memorable. Same for Quintero - a poor course from a strategic standpoint but one that visitors (and some locals) rave about, and it's not usually uber expensive because of the drive.  Wickenburg Ranch hasn't been mentioned - the views aren't as good as Quintero's but it is a fun layout and always in pristine condition (as Quintero usually is).

You can also consider the muni's - Papago and Aguila - much better choices than Estrella, Las Sendas, Foothills, and Arizona Grand.

As for the others on your list:
  • Longbow Golf Club - I like it, it is desert golf, and I enjoy the planes because there are lots of vintage planes, not just all Cessna's or commercial. Importantly, probably in your budget.
  • Estrella Golf Club - it's okay, not in the same conversation as the ones above
  • Las Sendas Golf Club - AWFUL, just AWFUL
  • Foothills Golf Club - not a destination course
  • Arizona Grand Golf Course - not a destination course
  • Grayhawk Golf Course - not in budget, but if was, great desert golf
  • The Boulders - not in budget, but never play there instead of Grayhawk or Troon or Wekopa
  • Troon North - not in budget, great desert golf (courses slightly better than Grayhawk, on par with Wekopa)

Edited by DrSchteeve, 24 November 2017 - 07:07 PM.

Callaway Epic Driver Matrix Red Tie 65Q4
Callaway Epic 3+ wood Matrix Red Tie 65Q4
Titleist 818 H1 18* and 21* Tensei Blue
Titleist 818 H1 25* and 27* Tensei Red Hybrids
Titleist 818 AP1 7-SW Tensei Red
Vokey SM4 62* M Kuro Kage
TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag
Srixon Soft Feel

#25 Argonne69

Argonne69

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,566 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102839
GolfWRX Likes : 23111

Posted 24 November 2017 - 06:35 PM

Lol. I must have had an off day with Longbow. 'Didn't see a single vintage plane. It wasn't as bad as the Champions course at TPC, though. There was nothing but a steady stream of Learjets when I played there. Boooooring.

#26 BUCKEYERBALL88

BUCKEYERBALL88

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 358819
  • Handicap:13
GolfWRX Likes : 145

Posted 25 November 2017 - 02:15 AM

I agree. My 10 round split
Saguaro 8
Cholla 2

Almost went 9-1. A course like gcu is an avg muni but no holes I dislike. Cholla has 3-4 very bad golf holes imho. Way too many split fairways. Contrived cart golf . Saguaro has half pars, width, variety & options!

#27 teejaywhy

teejaywhy

Official GolfWRX Curmudgeon

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,027 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 39565
GolfWRX Likes : 1850

Posted 25 November 2017 - 09:36 AM

My take on Cholla vs. Saguaro

The locals' perspective comes from repeat plays.

Cholla is a course that gets less enjoyable the more times you play it.  The visual attraction of the natural setting gives way to the realization that the routing and siting yields a lot of "do-or-die" types of shots where slight misses can be severely penalized, and a less strategic one-dimensional-ness (is that a word?).  The cart-ball nature of the routing actually becomes annoying.

Saguaro, on the other hand, gets better with more plays.  The type of course with subtlety and nuance that is discovered with repeated visits.  A lot of fun figuring out different ways to play the holes and thereby much more interesting. The layout is very generous and generally less-penal.

#28 OspreyCI

OspreyCI

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,368 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 108024
  • Handicap:10
GolfWRX Likes : 541

Posted 25 November 2017 - 03:17 PM

I think itís funny that people are debating the two course at We Ko Pa. As a new local here (again), anyone should be lucky enough just to come to the valley and get to play here. There are not many places in the U.S. that has this many amazing courses.

So I will chime in, yes, Saguaro is a better course than Cholla, but they are both in amazing condition with great views and each have their character.

I am a fan of Longbow, SD, and Whirlwind. East Valley all the way!
PING G400 MAX 9* Tour 65
TM M2 15* Speeder 757 Evo TS
TM M2 #3 19* Fujikura
TM M3 4 Iron Atmos
TM P790 5-AW Modus 105
TM MG 54*
TM HI TOE 60*
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainess Newport

#29 cbbaron

cbbaron

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 904 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 346439
  • Handicap:11.2
GolfWRX Likes : 238

Posted 25 November 2017 - 04:53 PM

Out of stater who visits about three times and has a Wekopass it is prolly 6 on Saguaro and 2 on Cholla for me 10 years ago it might of been an even split so I agree with a lot of the comments above
Driver Ping G400 Max
3w Titleist 915
19 degree  Titleist 818
22 degree  Titleist 818
5- UW    Ping I200
Sw Vokey 54 S grind
LW Vokey 58 S grind
Putter Ping Wolverine T

#30 BirdieRoll

BirdieRoll

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 148279
  • Handicap:10
GolfWRX Likes : 54

Posted 25 November 2017 - 07:43 PM

I'd put Verde River on your short list. Desert layout. Fun track, overseed went well, and you've got to take a drive thru the desert just to get to the course.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Also tagged with Phoenix

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors