Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Titleist CEO suggests Tiger is shilling for inferior ball company

77 replies to this topic

#31 Nessism

Nessism

To measure is to know...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,823 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131490
GolfWRX Likes : 7601

Posted 23 November 2017 - 09:26 AM

Titleist has the most to loose since they built their reputation on tour usage.  Create a new ball for the tour and the direct association is gone, although most people are so non tech savvy they won't know the difference.

Ping G400 driver w/Adila Rogue 125 Silver 60S
TEE XCG6 3 & 5 fairway woods & E8 hybrid
Mizuno Hot Metal irons w/Recoil 95's
Glide 50/55/60 wedges w/Recoil 110's
Ping Anser putter - the "real deal!"

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#32 Shilgy

Shilgy

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,538 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 235237
  • Handicap:3.7
GolfWRX Likes : 5283

Posted 23 November 2017 - 09:42 AM

More folks would still use Titleist because the name has become synonymous with quality golf balls.

PS this idea of a tour ball would never ever work imo. You could not have just one ball that is approved for tour play as that would favor those players that balls characteristics happen to most closely fit. So each manufacturer would have to make balls with new limits, that would never sell, just for their tour players.  That is just one of the reasons why bifurcation won't work.
TM M1 8.5* Graphite Design BB6s
TM M1 3w 14*  Graphite Design BB7s
Srixon U65 18° Atmos Red 7s
Adams A12 UST Silver S 21°
Srixon Z765 5-AW Nippon Pro Modus3 125S
Titleist Vokey 54*F  58*S
Toulon Garage Rochester/ Toulon Rochester

To paraphrase Dr Seuss: Don't cry because the round of golf is over-smile because it happened .  :)

#33 cgasucks

cgasucks

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,647 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16512
GolfWRX Likes : 777

Posted 23 November 2017 - 09:46 AM

Before Wally ever made that comment, Titleist's ball market share has been steadily eroding in the last few years as more competitors can offer Pro V1 performance at a lower price point, (Snell, Vice, Kirkland).  That comment to me is a sign of desperation from him and the way he put down Bridgestone was a total turnoff to me.  When I look at a Pro V1 in my stash, I look at it in disgust instead of pride.

Edited by cgasucks, 23 November 2017 - 09:47 AM.

9.5 deg Taylormade R7 Superquad (All Black First Edition) with stock Fujikura Reax TP shaft
1988 Tommy Armour 845s (3-PW, W3 (GW), SW) with stock TT Tour Step shafts
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts
Ping Anser 2 Stainless Steel Putter

#34 Nessism

Nessism

To measure is to know...

• Advanced Members
  • 16,823 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2017 - 09:50 AM

View PostShilgy, on 23 November 2017 - 09:42 AM, said:

PS this idea of a tour ball would never ever work imo. You could not have just one ball that is approved for tour play as that would favor those players that balls characteristics happen to most closely fit.

It would be simple enough to make Tour balls with a shorter distance mandate.  Regarding other ball features such as how spiny and the firmness, the manufacturers would be free to customize to whatever the players desire. "Tour Issue" balls would abound with all the variety that we see with TI clubs today.

Edited by Nessism, 23 November 2017 - 09:51 AM.

#35 cristphoto

cristphoto

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,931 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 42981
GolfWRX Likes : 561

Posted 23 November 2017 - 09:52 AM

View PostWAxORxDCxSC, on 22 November 2017 - 10:06 AM, said:

The outgoing CEO of Acushnet fired back at the USGA and Tiger Woods, suggesting that Tiger’s comments were motivated by the fact that Bridgestone produces an inferior ball, and they would have a commercial interest in a “reduced distance” golf ball.

https://www.golf.com...light-golf-ball

Could it be resentment from Titleist losing a patent infringement settlement against Bridgestone?  Were they copying an inferior ball then?

#36 North Butte

North Butte

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,935 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 424472
GolfWRX Likes : 4592

Posted 23 November 2017 - 09:56 AM

View Postcristphoto, on 23 November 2017 - 09:52 AM, said:

The outgoing CEO of Acushnet fired back at the USGA and Tiger Woods, suggesting that Tiger’s comments were motivated by the fact that Bridgestone produces an inferior ball, and they would have a commercial interest in a “reduced distance” golf ball.

Could it be resentment from Titleist losing a patent infringement settlement against Bridgestone?  Were they copying an inferior ball then?

No it’s only you and a few other Internet posters who is worried about lawsuits from a decade and a half ago. I do not think CEO’s of billion dollar corporations lose any sleep over lawsuits long since settled out of court.
Everything has its drawbacks, as the man said when his mother-in-law died, and they came down upon him for the funeral expenses.

#37 From_Parts_Unknown

From_Parts_Unknown

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 123904
GolfWRX Likes : 928

Posted 23 November 2017 - 09:57 AM

So is he alluding that Bridgestone will have a financial advantage if they dial back the ball because they won't have to retool and develop new products?

#38 cristphoto

cristphoto

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,931 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 42981
GolfWRX Likes : 561

Posted 23 November 2017 - 10:09 AM

View PostNorth Butte, on 23 November 2017 - 09:56 AM, said:

View Postcristphoto, on 23 November 2017 - 09:52 AM, said:

No it’s only you and a few other Internet posters who is worried about lawsuits from a decade and a half ago. I do not think CEO’s of billion dollar corporations lose any sleep over lawsuits long since settled out of court.

I'm glad you know CEO's don't hold grudges against their competitors.  Hello Howard Hughes.

#39 North Butte

North Butte

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,935 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2017 - 10:16 AM

View PostFrom_Parts_Unknown, on 23 November 2017 - 09:57 AM, said:

So is he alluding that Bridgestone will have a financial advantage if they dial back the ball because they won't have to retool and develop new products?

No he is saying that Bridgestone will never match Titleists tour presence and therefore Bridgestone wants the USGA to force retail golfers into buying balls not played on Tour.

Everything has its drawbacks, as the man said when his mother-in-law died, and they came down upon him for the funeral expenses.

#40 Nessism

Nessism

To measure is to know...

• Advanced Members
  • 16,823 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2017 - 10:37 AM

View PostNorth Butte, on 23 November 2017 - 10:16 AM, said:

View PostFrom_Parts_Unknown, on 23 November 2017 - 09:57 AM, said:

No he is saying that Bridgestone will never match Titleists tour presence and therefore Bridgestone wants the USGA to force retail golfers into buying balls not played on Tour.

That's not what he said and I don't understand how you get there from his statement

"Given Bridgestone’s very small worldwide market share and paltry presence in professional golf, it would seem logical they would have a commercial motive making the case for a reduced distance golf ball," Uihlein wrote."

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#41 new2g0lf

new2g0lf

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,273 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114437
GolfWRX Likes : 1481

Posted 23 November 2017 - 10:39 AM

View Postcgasucks, on 23 November 2017 - 09:46 AM, said:

Before Wally ever made that comment, Titleist's ball market share has been steadily eroding in the last few years as more competitors can offer Pro V1 performance at a lower price point, (Snell, Vice, Kirkland).  That comment to me is a sign of desperation from him and the way he put down Bridgestone was a total turnoff to me.  When I look at a Pro V1 in my stash, I look at it in disgust instead of pride.

The common assumption is that Titleist market share is eroding because of Snell, KSig, Vice and Cut but consider;
  • Callaway, Bridgestone, TM, Mizuno and Srixon all make premium golf balls that are within 10% of the price of Pro V1's and all sell at higher prices than the discount premium balls.
  • There are a lot of golfers that play non-premium balls and pre-owned balls because the cost of premium balls was beyond their means or what they were willing to pay.
  • International sales, we have little data to indicate that Snell, KSig, Vice or Cut have had the same success outside the US as they have inside the US.
While everyone likes to attack the giant, in this case Titleist, there is little data to indicate the discount premium balls have eroded their overall market share as much as some of you think or would like to think.  Based on what I've read and heard, the discount premium balls have had a minimal impact on Pro V1's and are actually hurting the non-premium tier ball offerings from the major manufacturers and pre-owned markets.
Driver - JPX 900 10*
Woods - XXIO 9 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 9 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Home - Callaway Epic 5-SW Away - TM P790 5-AW
Wedge - Vokey TVD 56* K Grind
Putter - Seemore Nashville mFGP2 SS Mallet Black
Ball - KSig, TM TP5X, Snell MTB

#42 North Butte

North Butte

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,935 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2017 - 10:57 AM

View Postnew2g0lf, on 23 November 2017 - 10:39 AM, said:

The common assumption is that Titleist market share is eroding because of Snell, KSig, Vice and Cut but consider;
  • Callaway, Bridgestone, TM, Mizuno and Srixon all make premium golf balls that are within 10% of the price of Pro V1's and all sell at higher prices than the discount premium balls.
  • There are a lot of golfers that play non-premium balls and pre-owned balls because the cost of premium balls was beyond their means or what they were willing to pay.
  • International sales, we have little data to indicate that Snell, KSig, Vice or Cut have had the same success outside the US as they have inside the US.
While everyone likes to attack the giant, in this case Titleist, there is little data to indicate the discount premium balls have eroded their overall market share as much as some of you think or would like to think.  Based on what I've read and heard, the discount premium balls have had a minimal impact on Pro V1's and are actually hurting the non-premium tier ball offerings from the major manufacturers and pre-owned markets.

But whole meme has never made sense to me.  It’s as if nobody ever noticed that every single ball in the pro shop is cheaper than Titleist.  Every day, has been for years.

But then a few places start selling cheap Asian white label balls and the whole world wakes up and says, “Wait a minute. You mean there are balls cheaper than Titleist?”  Oh Brave New World and such wonders in’t!

Thank goodness Tony Covey slapped a few K-Sigs into his net and discovered they were 15 yards longer.

But whole meme has never made sense to me.  It’s as if nobody ever noticed that every single ball in the pro shop is cheaper than Titleist.  Every day, has been for years.

But then a few places start selling cheap Asian white label balls and the whole world wakes up and says, “Wait a minute. You mean there are balls cheaper than Titleist?”  Oh Brave New World and such wonders in’t!

Thank goodness Tony Covey slapped a few K-Sigs into his net and discovered they were 15 yards longer.

#43 new2g0lf

new2g0lf

Major Winner

• 2,273 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2017 - 11:05 AM

View PostNorth Butte, on 23 November 2017 - 10:57 AM, said:

But whole meme has never made sense to me.  It's as if nobody ever noticed that every single ball in the pro shop is cheaper than Titleist.  Every day, has been for years.

But then a few places start selling cheap Asian white label balls and the whole world wakes up and says, "Wait a minute. You mean there are balls cheaper than Titleist?"  Oh Brave New World and such wonders in't!

But whole meme has never made sense to me.  It's as if nobody ever noticed that every single ball in the pro shop is cheaper than Titleist.  Every day, has been for years.

But then a few places start selling cheap Asian white label balls and the whole world wakes up and says, "Wait a minute. You mean there are balls cheaper than Titleist?"  Oh Brave New World and such wonders in't!

I never bought a new Pro V1 for my own use (only gifts) so it really doesn't impact me, but I don't like to see misinformation spread.  I personally don't know a single person that gave up their Pro V1's to play a discount premium ball. My observations don't mean some haven't but the numbers are minimal compared to the other golf ball market segments.
Driver - JPX 900 10*
Woods - XXIO 9 3W

#44 MattyO1984

MattyO1984

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,182 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 59978
  • Handicap:3
GolfWRX Likes : 2330

Posted 24 November 2017 - 06:23 PM

You look at your other golf balls and feel pride?!
Titleist 917D2 9.5 Stiff Diamana D+
Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black
Titleist 712U 3 Iron Stiff KBS Tour
Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW Stiff KBS Tour
Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08, 54.10 & 60.04
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1x

#45 North Butte

North Butte

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,935 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2017 - 06:30 PM

View PostMattyO1984, on 24 November 2017 - 06:23 PM, said:

You look at your other golf balls and feel pride?!

Sometimes a ball is just a ball.

—S. Freud

#46 youraway2

youraway2

Just Old Sticks

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 25945
  • Handicap:7
  • Ebay ID:youraway
GolfWRX Likes : 282

Posted 26 November 2017 - 04:38 PM

A "tour ball" rule would indeed upset the apple cart at Titleist.  The success of their entire company is based off tour success and perceived superiority therefor.  Humm...

Leave out the word "perceived" and your post is rock solid.

#47 Nessism

Nessism

To measure is to know...

• Advanced Members
  • 16,823 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2017 - 05:22 PM

View Postyouraway2, on 26 November 2017 - 04:38 PM, said:

A "tour ball" rule would indeed upset the apple cart at Titleist.  The success of their entire company is based off tour success and perceived superiority therefor.  Humm...

Ksig baby!  

#48 North Butte

North Butte

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,935 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2017 - 05:26 PM

View PostNessism, on 26 November 2017 - 05:22 PM, said:

View Postyouraway2, on 26 November 2017 - 04:38 PM, said:

Ksig baby!  

And it’s 15 Yards Longer ™

#49 storm319

storm319

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,529 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99866
GolfWRX Likes : 489

Posted 21 January 2018 - 05:30 PM

View Posttrackcoach13, on 22 November 2017 - 01:55 PM, said:

View PostNorth Butte, on 22 November 2017 - 12:13 PM, said:

View PostDrudersh, on 22 November 2017 - 11:59 AM, said:

View Postws6, on 22 November 2017 - 11:47 AM, said:

View PostNorth Butte, on 22 November 2017 - 10:49 AM, said:

Titleist was not hurt when golf balls were "set back to the beginning" by the advent of multipiece urethane Tour balls.

How much did Titleist pay out in lawsuit settlements to Callaway and Bridgestone?

Wasn't the ProV1 the original multi-piece urethane tour ball? It would be difficult to be set-back by technology you invented, no?

No it was not. Titleist were slightly late to the party.

What happened when Titleist came along (a couple years after other solid-core, multipiece, urethane balls were being used on Tour) was that almost immediately it was adopted by hundreds of Tour players.

Titleist was the dominant leader in Tour presence. Once they released a modern ball to their staff players and that ball starting winning tournaments, the whole concept was legitimized overnight.

Established market leaders are almost never the first with innovations. Apple never puts any feature in an iPhone that hasn't previously shown up (in some form or another) in a Samsung or whatever. ProV1 is the iPhone of Tour balls, not the first but the most successful.

Wasn't the Strata the first sold-core, multi layer urethane covered ball back in mid-1990's?

The first multilayer, solid core ball released was the Spaulding Top Flite Strata introduced in 1996, but the cover wasn't urethane. I believe the Precept MC Tour Premium was the first solid core, multilayer, urethane covered ball released. Bridgestone (Precept brand), Callaway, Nike, and Spaulding (Strata brand) all had their respective models on tour before the Titleist ProV1 made its debut in late 2000.

#50 storm319

storm319

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,529 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99866
GolfWRX Likes : 489

Posted 21 January 2018 - 05:59 PM

Take Tiger's comments with a grain of salt. He's on staff with a company that has been attacking the market leader for over 10 years. The fact that his comments seem to parrot those of his new endorser is suspect when he hasn't mentioned it one bit in the 17 years since his switch. He has also been struggling with injuries over the past few years and is entering the "get off my lawn" stage of his career (hopefully he doesn't end up as crotchety and jaded as Jack).  

As for Bridgestone, they have apparently been working with the USGA on development of a potential rollback standard for years. If the rollback does happen, they will have a sizable head start on the rest of the industry.

http://www.geoffshac...ting-event.html

As for Titleist, they obviously have the most to lose with any regulatory change so Uihlein's response is no surprise.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#51 xxio

xxio

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,232 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 541
GolfWRX Likes : 396

Posted 21 January 2018 - 10:15 PM

Titleist was not hurt when golf balls were "set back to the beginning" by the advent of multipiece urethane Tour balls.

How much did Titleist pay out in lawsuit settlements to Callaway and Bridgestone?

Wasn't the ProV1 the original multi-piece urethane tour ball? It would be difficult to be set-back by technology you invented, no?

No it wasn't. Tiger circa 2000 played the Tour Accuracy when everyone else was using the Prestige and Tour Balata.

#52 xxio

xxio

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,232 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2018 - 10:21 PM

Correct on all counts. I would even add I think the first major won with a multilayer urethane ball was when Faldo used the Precept Tour Premium at the Masters that Greg handed to him.

#53 grm24

grm24

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,741 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4801
GolfWRX Likes : 1280

Posted 21 January 2018 - 10:32 PM

View Postxxio, on 21 January 2018 - 10:15 PM, said:

No it wasn't. Tiger circa 2000 played the Tour Accuracy when everyone else was using the Prestige and Tour Balata.
Most Titleist ball players on tour in 2000 were using the Titleist Professional.

#54 Big Ben

Big Ben

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,354 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14306
  • Handicap:5
GolfWRX Likes : 803

Posted 21 January 2018 - 10:48 PM

I think the B330s is a fantastic ball. I will play what's best for my game and this ball surpasses a ProV1 in performance. Not sure how you would quantify this however beyond personal preference. BB
Irons: Ping iBades
Drivers: Pink Ping G
Hybrid: Mizuno JPX 850
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge WRX
Putter: STX Xform 2
Balls: Snell MTB

#55 xxio

xxio

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,232 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2018 - 05:00 AM

View Postgrm24, on 21 January 2018 - 10:32 PM, said:

View Postxxio, on 21 January 2018 - 10:15 PM, said:

Most Titleist ball players on tour in 2000 were using the Titleist Professional.

Forgot about that one. I myself played Maxfli HT liquid center balatas until I discovered the Precept MC Tour Premium and the Dynawing Double Cover.

#56 Thayneil

Thayneil

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 441480
  • Handicap:11
GolfWRX Likes : 42

Posted 22 January 2018 - 06:23 AM

The  Pro V 1 is the shortest of all the balls ai have used recently

spinny for sure,great for Par 3s and short par 4s

But shorter than  TM and Callways ,I reckon

I just use my Pro Vs for  chipping practise now

#57 jschwarb

jschwarb

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 157177
GolfWRX Likes : 194

Posted 22 January 2018 - 04:53 PM

The gap between high-end balls is less than its ever been. I really doubt that many WRXers could tell significant differences if you had them play blank ProV1s, TM TPs, B330, etc. I'm sure I couldn't. But at the end of the day I'll fully admit I drink the Titleist kool-aid; I just like the script and playing the Pro V1 makes me feel good. And isn't that what the game is all about? As for the expense, well, I'm gonna spend money somewhere and fortunately I'm not a club ho, so I can handle pricier balls.

#58 new2g0lf

new2g0lf

Major Winner

• 2,273 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2018 - 11:00 PM

When you're playing for $1M dollars you don't want to have any concerns about equipment or give yourself any reason to second guess yourself.  Why would any pro play a ball that they don't have full confidence in?  I know Bubba had a lot of issues last year besides the switch to Volvik but I still think it messed with his head.
Driver - JPX 900 10*
Woods - XXIO 9 3W

#59 grm24

grm24

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,741 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4801
GolfWRX Likes : 1280

Posted 23 January 2018 - 01:29 AM

View Poststorm319, on 21 January 2018 - 05:59 PM, said:

As for Bridgestone, they have apparently been working with the USGA on development of a potential rollback standard for years. If the rollback does happen, they will have a sizable head start on the rest of the industry.
All golf ball manufacturers were asked by the USGA some years back to submit golf balls that were rolled back for testing purposes. IIRC all of the major/OEM ball manufacturers complied with the USGA request. So then how would Bridgestone have such an advantage when when all of the major ball manufacturers have already developed balls to comply with the USGA request? The manufacturers would then have them ready for development if the USGA changed the ball rules.

Edited by grm24, 23 January 2018 - 01:31 AM.

#60 baldandbroke

baldandbroke

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 491408
  • Handicap:4.9
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 26 January 2018 - 04:16 PM

Just look at the marketing of both:

Posted Image

Posted Image

I think I can work out why Titleist want the ball that the pros use to be available for the average Joe ... whereas Bridgestone would like to change that.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors