Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Fred Couples' Equipment during 1998 Masters


  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Callaway6071

Callaway6071

    Classic golf club collector

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 487228
  • Joined: 11/21/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 21 November 2017 - 03:01 PM

A rather obscure trivia question - does anyone know which clubs Fred Couples used during the 1998 Masters? I know he used Lynx golf clubs, and I'm reasonably certain he was in possession of the rather attractive Lynx Boom Boom Parallax driver (see commercial here: https://www.youtube....h?v=5YU4-gcBhRM). Any ideas on the specific models of the woods, irons, wedges, etc. that he would have used? Thanks.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#2 fox88gt

fox88gt

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 408074
  • Joined: 01/08/2016
  • Location:Wisconsin
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 22 November 2017 - 09:59 AM

I'm pretty sure he was using Lynx Parallax irons around that time frame. Those were my favorite irons when I was in high school.
Titleist 905T 10.5 Driver
Titleist 906F2 15 3W
Titleist 906F2 18 5W
Titleist 690.CB 3-PW (for when I'm hitting irons well)

Taylormade RAC OS 2005 3-PW (for when I need shovels)
Titleist Vokey SM6 54.10 S Grind
Titleist Vokey SM5 60.07 S Grind
Odyssey White Hot Pro #9 Black

2

#3 spring7

spring7

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 67086
  • Joined: 10/05/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 28

Posted 22 November 2017 - 10:41 AM

View PostCallaway6071, on 21 November 2017 - 03:01 PM, said:

A rather obscure trivia question - does anyone know which clubs Fred Couples used during the 1998 Masters? I know he used Lynx golf clubs, and I'm reasonably certain he was in possession of the rather attractive Lynx Boom Boom Parallax driver (see commercial here: https://www.youtube....h?v=5YU4-gcBhRM). Any ideas on the specific models of the woods, irons, wedges, etc. that he would have used? Thanks.

lol, not sure if used that for his win, but i bought that driver and got a free Ashworth/Cadillac shirt, just like Freddie wore:)
Driver: Titleist 915D2 10.5* Diamana
3W: Titleist 909F 15.5* Voodoo
3I: Ping G Crossover 18* VTS Silver 85 Hybrid
4-PW: Bridgestone J40 DPC Steelfiber 95
Wedges: Nike Engage 52*SS/56*TS/60*DS-OR-Cleveland CBX 52*/Ping Glide ES 56* & 60*
Putter: Ping Karsten TR 5
Ball: Srixon Z-Star XV

3

#4 Petunia Sprinkle

Petunia Sprinkle

    Future King of France

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,264 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 397380
  • Joined: 09/25/2015
GolfWRX Likes : 3248

Posted 22 November 2017 - 10:47 AM

He was probably using that S2H2 3wood he supposedly ‘borrowed’ from Tom Watson.

4

#5 Shallowface

Shallowface

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16569
  • Joined: 07/18/2006
GolfWRX Likes : 943

Posted 22 November 2017 - 11:13 AM

View PostPetunia Sprinkle, on 22 November 2017 - 10:47 AM, said:

He was probably using that S2H2 3wood he supposedly 'borrowed' from Tom Watson.

The famous 3 wood borrowed from Watson was a Ram Laser FX Bore Thru model.

Lynx offered a pretty close copy in their Boom Boom line.

All that said, I don't know what he was using in 1998.


5

#6 Cwebb

Cwebb

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,551 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21353
  • Joined: 11/04/2006
GolfWRX Likes : 1162

Posted 22 November 2017 - 11:59 AM

In one of the years in there, he used Maxfli Revolution irons.  Also in that era, he played the "new" for the time, Tommy Armour 845 series...which were nothing like the original 845's.  They had a much more traditional profile, like a forged cavity back.

In '98 I think he was still using a Big Bertha (non titanium) driver and I know for sure he was using the tiny head Callaway S2h2 3 wood.  There's a Shell's Wonderful World of Golf match with him against John Daly from '98, that shows him using these

Edited by Cwebb, 22 November 2017 - 12:07 PM.


6

#7 pjc

pjc

    In The Middle

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 90835
  • Joined: 08/05/2009
  • Location:North Carolina
GolfWRX Likes : 115

Posted 26 November 2017 - 08:13 PM

Freddie is now 58 years old since October, hard to believe.  It's fun to go down memory lane about his clubs and also try to know exactly what he is playing currently.  I am willing to bet that, if he so desired, can still hit a bladed style 3 iron from 220-230 out and put it 12 feet or closer to the pin probably 7 or 8 times out of 10.  To me, that is Fred Couples.

Edited by pjc, 26 November 2017 - 08:14 PM.

Srixon Z-TX 10.5* OG MRC Diamana BB 63 S
Srixon Z U65 2 Miyazaki Kaula 7 S
Srixon Z U65 3 Miyazaki Kaula 7 S
Bridgestone J15 CB 4-PW Nippon 1050GH S
Bridgestone J15 forged 51* Nippon 1050GH S
Cleveland RTX-3 56* V-MG Tour Satin TT XP 115 S
Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 V-Line
Srixon Z-STAR, Z-STAR XV, Bridgestone B330 RX, B330 S

7

#8 woods991

woods991

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,878 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29516
  • Joined: 05/23/2007
  • Location:believeland
GolfWRX Likes : 89

Posted 26 November 2017 - 08:19 PM

Boom boom is one of my favorites can’t believe he turned 58.
Ping G400LST 10 degree Tensei Orange 60S
Ping G25 3 wood tour issue accra tour z ls75 m4
Nike Vapor Speed Tensei Blue 65 stiff 19
Callaway Apex CF16 Black Kbs c-taper lite 4-PW
Taylormade 50*, 55*, 60* Milled Grind Wedge Tour Only Nippon NS Pro WV 125S
Seemore mFGP tour proto Lovemark 33"or
Odyssey 2-ball O works with rare neck 33"

8

#9 sos7

sos7

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 103751
  • Joined: 02/21/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 28 November 2017 - 02:31 AM


Kevin burns putter, Cleveland 588 wedges, lynx black cat tour irons, s2h2 3 wood, lynx forged beta ti driver

Pretty close to that

9

#10 buckI

buckI

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 91171
  • Joined: 08/09/2009
  • Location:Richmond, VA
  • Handicap:5
GolfWRX Likes : 56

Posted 28 November 2017 - 11:17 PM

View PostShallowface, on 22 November 2017 - 11:13 AM, said:

View PostPetunia Sprinkle, on 22 November 2017 - 10:47 AM, said:

He was probably using that S2H2 3wood he supposedly 'borrowed' from Tom Watson.

The famous 3 wood borrowed from Watson was a Ram Laser FX Bore Thru model.

Lynx offered a pretty close copy in their Boom Boom line.

All that said, I don't know what he was using in 1998.

The driver was the Lynx as were the Parallax irons.   Wedges were Cleveland 588 and he had the holes drilled in the back.   Putter was an old Ping Anser and then the Ram FX Bore Thru 3 wood.  

I still have one of those and got it because of being a huge Freddie fan.   In its day, it was a bomber of the tee but you had to hit it flush off the deck given the deep face.   I’ll pull it out every now and then and amazed at the way clubs have changed.

I remember seeing him at the original Wendy’s Three Tour Challenge with these clubs.

Ping G400  10.5* - Ping Tour 65
Ping G 3 Wood 14.5* - Tour stiff
Ping i15 20/23 - UST Axivcore stiff
Ping I25 5-pw - CFS S Cushin +1/4
Ping Glide 52/56/60 SS
Ping Redwood Anser - Starshot Finish

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#11 sos7

sos7

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 103751
  • Joined: 02/21/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 29 November 2017 - 01:23 AM

View PostbuckI, on 28 November 2017 - 11:17 PM, said:

View PostShallowface, on 22 November 2017 - 11:13 AM, said:

View PostPetunia Sprinkle, on 22 November 2017 - 10:47 AM, said:

He was probably using that S2H2 3wood he supposedly 'borrowed' from Tom Watson.

The famous 3 wood borrowed from Watson was a Ram Laser FX Bore Thru model.

Lynx offered a pretty close copy in their Boom Boom line.

All that said, I don't know what he was using in 1998.

The driver was the Lynx as were the Parallax irons.   Wedges were Cleveland 588 and he had the holes drilled in the back.   Putter was an old Ping Anser and then the Ram FX Bore Thru 3 wood.  

I still have one of those and got it because of being a huge Freddie fan.   In its day, it was a bomber of the tee but you had to hit it flush off the deck given the deep face.   I’ll pull it out every now and then and amazed at the way clubs have changed.

I remember seeing him at the original Wendy’s Three Tour Challenge with these clubs.

He definitely played Cleveland wedges as you described but not a ping putter in 98 masters. It was a Kevin burns 9303 putter (you can see it on the official 1998 masters video numerous times, especially when he pulls his putt on the 71st hole). Im positive he had already put the forged beta titanium driver in play at that point as well.

11



1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors