Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Best Unexpected Golf Courses and People

Hidden Gem Courses Travel Community Muni Municipal Public Golf

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 itshedley

itshedley

Rookie

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 482780
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 21 November 2017 - 09:44 AM

I live in NYC and LOVE Dyker Beach...not because it is the greatest course, but because it is an example of how golf can bring together lots of different types of people (city golfers, kids, cops and potential Sopranos cast members)...as I travel I'm always looking for these types of courses that bring together weird communities.

I saw the Adventures in Golf about the Compton Par 3, interested in what other people think in their communities. As I travel its great to play Tour courses but nothing is better than an unexpected Muni.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 jli2636

jli2636

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129436
  • Handicap:9
GolfWRX Likes : 278

Posted 21 November 2017 - 02:10 PM

Played a course in Clarksville, MO called Eagles Bluff that fits this bill. Course is in the middle of nowhere on the Mississippi River bluff on the Missouri-Illinois border. Conditioning was a little suspect, but the people were really nice and the layout was fantastic. I would definitely go back.

#3 nybluebird

nybluebird

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 97520
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 23 November 2017 - 08:22 PM

View Postitshedley, on 21 November 2017 - 09:44 AM, said:

I live in NYC and LOVE Dyker Beach...not because it is the greatest course, but because it is an example of how golf can bring together lots of different types of people (city golfers, kids, cops and potential Sopranos cast members)...as I travel I'm always looking for these types of courses that bring together weird communities.

I saw the Adventures in Golf about the Compton Par 3, interested in what other people think in their communities. As I travel its great to play Tour courses but nothing is better than an unexpected Muni.

NYC courses are such a cool place to meet freaks, geeks, and everything in between. Van Cortlandt, Clearview, and Pelham/Split Rock have some interesting folks. I've played public and private golf in a lot of places, but the NY metro and surrounding area is the best!

#4 3PuttHero

3PuttHero

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 443846
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 24 November 2017 - 09:45 AM

Iíve played Pelham/Split Rock, my playing partner and I were paired up with a Bronx native who owned 50+ Mr. Softee trucks and worked out of Huntís Point.  He kept us entertained the whole afternoon in a good way.  You look around and see golfers dressed like Ricky and others dressed in jean shorts and wife beaters.   Conditions may not be ideal but theyíre fun courses and the company makes the round.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors