Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 1 votes

Mixing balls throughout a round

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 RPryor

RPryor

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 472200
GolfWRX Likes : 47

Posted 20 November 2017 - 10:44 PM

I once read here that you should use the same ball throughout your round. Whatís the reasoning behind it? Iíve been losing too many premium balls recently with my driver and considering driving with found balls and switching them to premiums on my approach. These are practice rounds obviously.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 Socrates

Socrates

How can it be so *&#% hard to make a shoulder turn?

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 8,208 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 60534
  • Handicap:4ish
GolfWRX Likes : 3335

Posted 20 November 2017 - 11:18 PM

Unless there is a Condition of Competition (which doesn't seem to apply to you here), you can change balls after the completion of a hole.  During the play of a hole, you can't substitute another ball unless permitted under the Rules (i.e. you lose a ball).

That means if you get to a hole where you fear that you will lose it during the hole, you can tee it up with your least favourite ball so you don't sacrifice  a nice ProV1.
Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"
Jazz Bear Cat 3 wd Aerotech Stiff
Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
Epic Pro 4-AW Recoil 780 ES F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc
Ping ES 56º and ES 60º
Scotty X7M Dual 38"
MCC Align Midsize

#3 RPryor

RPryor

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2017 - 11:33 PM

Why did this get moved to golf rules? My question is not wether this is legal or not, which obviously it isn’t, it has to do with factors regarding playing same specific ball (prov1, chrome soft, etc) throughout the round. Please move it back to where it was,

#4 lookylookitzadam

lookylookitzadam

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 414072
  • Handicap:7ish
  • Ebay ID:eeejayeight
GolfWRX Likes : 77

Posted 20 November 2017 - 11:40 PM

View PostRPryor, on 20 November 2017 - 11:33 PM, said:

Why did this get moved to golf rules? My question is not wether this is legal or not, which obviously it isn’t, it has to do with factors regarding playing same specific ball (prov1, chrome soft, etc) throughout the round. Please move it back to where it was,

Are you talking about balls from a performance perspective?  If so, changing balls will change the performance characteristics obviously.  Long story short, ball flight, spin, wind impact, trajectory would all be different from ball to ball but that is really specific and you would need to be impacting the ball consistently to even notice that.

#5 RPryor

RPryor

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2017 - 11:45 PM

Yeah the post seemed to imply that if you started a round with a prov1x you shouldn’t switch to a top flight. My question is, does this really matter if you’re playing the same ball on all your shots except the driver. I hate losing a $3 ball on the driver because i’m WorkIng on my swing. I don’t lose balls on approach shots.

#6 Cwebb

Cwebb

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,865 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21353
GolfWRX Likes : 1369

Posted 20 November 2017 - 11:46 PM

Don't really understand your question.  If you don't play by the rules, then you can do whatever you want, with whatever equipment you like and find makes a difference

#7 ArtMBgolf

ArtMBgolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 476646
  • Handicap:8
GolfWRX Likes : 45

Posted 20 November 2017 - 11:51 PM

It's fun to test and compare balls.     If you compete, it might help to play the same ball regularly, to have confidence with how
it performs.

On practice rounds, it makes sense to conserve your best golf balls and drive with cheap distance balls and approach with your
premium balls.

#8 RPryor

RPryor

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2017 - 11:52 PM

View PostCwebb, on 20 November 2017 - 11:46 PM, said:

Don't really understand your question.  If you don't play by the rules, then you can do whatever you want, with whatever equipment you like and find makes a difference

Ugh, this has nothing to do with rules. Someone moved the thread to rules because he didn’t read my post. If you see original post I mention this isn’t really legal. You’ve never switched balls on the fairway or green to chip/putt with a prov? Jesus!

Thx Art

#9 Cwebb

Cwebb

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,865 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21353
GolfWRX Likes : 1369

Posted 21 November 2017 - 12:09 AM

View PostRPryor, on 20 November 2017 - 11:52 PM, said:

Ugh, this has nothing to do with rules. Someone moved the thread to rules because he didn’t read my post. If you see original post I mention this isn’t really legal. You’ve never switched balls on the fairway or green to chip/putt with a prov? Jesus!

Thx Art

Yes, many of us have practiced that way.  What is your question?  Are you just wondering if others have done this?  Yes, we have...just not in "real rounds"

#10 Augster

Augster

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,486 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 30291
GolfWRX Likes : 1320

Posted 21 November 2017 - 12:58 AM

If you see original post I mention this isnít really legal. Youíve never switched balls on the fairway or green to chip/putt with a prov? Jesus!

Thx Art

You can switch balls during a round unless the CoC says otherwise. Which is only pro and high-end amateur events. You can legally substitute a different type of ball during the play of a hole when a substitution is allowed.

To play with a ďputting ballĒ, where you make an illegal substitution after getting to the green? Not legal at all. And no, Iíve never done it.

When I test balls I do it during a practice session. When Iím on the course, Iím playing golf by the rules. In the very small percentage of the time I play a course by myself, itís a practice round so I do whatever Iíd like as itís not being posted anyway. More often than not though, even alone, I play a round of golf by all the rules.

Itís the beauty of the game to me. I can play a ďreal roundĒ of golf every time out. With people or not. And the rounds are all comparable if played by the same rules.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 SixtySomePing

SixtySomePing

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,111 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 144465
GolfWRX Likes : 16011

Posted 21 November 2017 - 05:07 AM

At the range you get a bucket of range balls- no help whatsoever. WRX as we know is fabulous, so when you read about the golf balls others use it can get you interested. But the only way to try any of them yourself is to play them. So a practice round becomes the best way. I've found by 'mixing' which is one way to put it I suppose is a good method. You can compare a couple of brands or more for several holes, same course, same day, same conditions easier than you can if you just play one ball and play again another day, then say one ball is better than the other.
Outlaw Golf Association #11

#12 MattyO1984

MattyO1984

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,320 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 59978
  • Handicap:3
GolfWRX Likes : 2454

Posted 21 November 2017 - 05:54 AM

View PostRPryor, on 20 November 2017 - 10:44 PM, said:

I once read here that you should use the same ball throughout your round. What's the reasoning behind it? I've been losing too many premium balls recently with my driver and considering driving with found balls and switching them to premiums on my approach. These are practice rounds obviously.

To answer the actual question that you have asked, the reasoning behind using the same ball for everything is so that you become familiar with what it is going to do and how it plays. It is probably more of an issue around the green than it is with driving these days but that is aimed at people who are going to be practicing and then playing in competitions. For example, if you are going to play in a competition it makes sense to be familiar with the ball that you are using, how it is going to spin, etc, if you were chopping and changing all of the time, it would be harder to become familiar with it.

In a practice round, there is no problem doing what you are doing but as others have said, in competition, there would be. If you start a hole with a ball, unless you lose it or damage it, then you need to finish the hole with that ball.

Edited by MattyO1984, 21 November 2017 - 08:44 AM.

Titleist 917D2 9.5 Stiff Diamana D+
Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black
Titleist 712U 3 Iron Stiff KBS Tour
Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW Stiff KBS Tour
Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08, 54.10 & 60.04
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1x

#13 buckeyefl

buckeyefl

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,246 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 259982
GolfWRX Likes : 2340

Posted 21 November 2017 - 08:41 AM

View PostRPryor, on 20 November 2017 - 11:45 PM, said:

Yeah the post seemed to imply that if you started a round with a prov1x you shouldn’t switch to a top flight. My question is, does this really matter if you’re playing the same ball on all your shots except the driver. I hate losing a $3 ball on the driver because i’m WorkIng on my swing. I don’t lose balls on approach shots.

I'm not sure why people are struggling with understanding the question. If you are losing your premium balls on your drives then by all means switch back and forth. Just be sure to play your premiums balls on your approach shots and ALWAYS on pitches, chips and putting. You need to be intimately familiar with how the ball reacts in those circumstances.

#14 MtlJeff

MtlJeff

#TheWRX (Callaway Trip)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,164 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68568
  • Handicap:1.0
GolfWRX Likes : 20939

Posted 21 November 2017 - 08:51 AM

Most rounds I switch balls a lot, just because it's fun to try new ones. In competition I typically use a ProV1

But not uncommon in a fun round to play 3 holes and switch to a totally different ball
Ping G LS Tec 9 w/Tour 65
Callaway XR Pro 14 w/Diamana D+ 80
Callaway Apex Hybrid 20 w/Diamana D+ 95
Callaway Apex Pro 4-PW w/S300
Callaway MD Forged 52,56,60 w/S300
Odyssey Versa Works 1W Tank

#15 jj9000

jj9000

Major Winner

• 2,019 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99079
GolfWRX Likes : 1985

Posted 21 November 2017 - 09:13 AM

It matters when you get on the green.

If you know the firmness and a particular ball's response off the putter...it makes sense to stick with that ball.

The difference between a Prov1x and...say...a Wilson Duo...off the putter...is night and day.

On the green...if I hit a Wilson Duo with the same putter force as I do a Prov1x...I'll blast the Duo way past the hole.

#16 Socrates

Socrates

How can it be so *&#% hard to make a shoulder turn?

• 8,208 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 60534
  • Handicap:4ish
GolfWRX Likes : 3335

Posted 21 November 2017 - 10:32 AM

I once read here that you should use the same ball throughout your round. What's the reasoning behind it? I've been losing too many premium balls recently with my driver and considering driving with found balls and switching them to premiums on my approach. These are practice rounds obviously.
You worded your question poorly which is why you got the responses you got.

You had bad information about using the same ball throughout the round as that isn't a Rule.  So the question you asked wasn't really valid, but we gave you the only response that was correct regarding play.

Play what you like off the tee and if you feel like replacing it with a better ball for the approach - go ahead.  It's not a big deal.  Lots of people do it and I will do it in the fall when there are lots of leaves down and I really don't like losing $5 balls because it's under a leaf.  The game is supposed to be fun so do whatever makes it fun.
Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"
Jazz Bear Cat 3 wd Aerotech Stiff
Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
Epic Pro 4-AW Recoil 780 ES F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc
Ping ES 56º and ES 60º
Scotty X7M Dual 38"
MCC Align Midsize

#17 RSinSG

RSinSG

Major Winner

• 2,438 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 300931
  • Handicap:6.7
  • Ebay ID:RSinPS
GolfWRX Likes : 1740

Posted 21 November 2017 - 11:28 AM

I know a guy who switches to a yellow ball on the hole that parallels the range as he often pushes his drive near it. Makes it easy to spot amongst the range balls.

I don’t typically lose a lot of balls, but when I do it’s usually a brand new premium ball that I just put in play. I can play with a crappy ball forever.
Ping G400 Tour AD DI6s
Ping G30 3 wood
Ben Hogan VTKR 17* and 21* hybrid
Ping G30 Irons 5-SW, Steel Fiber i95
Ping Glide 58* LW
Scotty Cameron Studio Blade (or) Scotty Cameron Fastback
Gamegolf
https://www.ledges.com/ Home course

#18 markjay1

markjay1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 465862
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 88

Posted 23 November 2017 - 07:09 AM

The only issue I see is that switching out your ball on the fairway changes the lie. Not a rules thing but if you're practicing hitting the ball as it lies you undermine that a bit.

#19 SurfDuffer

SurfDuffer

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,883 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 123677
  • Location:A long Par 5 from the Atlantic Ocean and a long Par 3 from the Bay.
GolfWRX Likes : 942

Posted 23 November 2017 - 07:19 AM

Thx Art
This kind of crap happens all the time.  They should have some respect for the original poster of a thread.

Titleist 915 D2 60gX Rogue Silver
Titleist 906F2 13* ProForce V2 90gX
Titleist 690mb 2-P  6.0PX
Titleist Vokey 52* and 58*
SeeMore FPG Putter

#20 uitar9

uitar9

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 349721
  • Handicap:LOL
GolfWRX Likes : 95

Posted 23 November 2017 - 09:04 AM

I try to use the same model for a round. I get used to the feel/reaction of the same ball. Especially 100 yards and in. Some models-ball to ball feels different. Isn't that why titleist sells so well. Quality control. Been playing the wilson duo the past year. Feels consistent to me.

I bought a box of recycled e6 two years back. Cuz I like a new e6. They were very different ball to ball. Stopped using

WITB
KZG OS11 12 degree driver
Calloway 16 5-wood
Calloway
20.5 heavenwood
Cobra 24.5 9-wood

KZG 5-PW irons
KZG 52 and 56 wedges
TM Spider mallet

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 lil'mike

lil'mike

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 436656
  • Ebay ID:mrgolf2k
GolfWRX Likes : 129

Posted 23 November 2017 - 12:25 PM

View PostMattyO1984, on 21 November 2017 - 05:54 AM, said:

To answer the actual question that you have asked, the reasoning behind using the same ball for everything is so that you become familiar with what it is going to do and how it plays. It is probably more of an issue around the green than it is with driving these days but that is aimed at people who are going to be practicing and then playing in competitions. For example, if you are going to play in a competition it makes sense to be familiar with the ball that you are using, how it is going to spin, etc, if you were chopping and changing all of the time, it would be harder to become familiar with it.

In a practice round, there is no problem doing what you are doing but as others have said, in competition, there would be. If you start a hole with a ball, unless you lose it or damage it, then you need to finish the hole with that ball.

Yes this is why they say you should play the same ball throughout the round, for consistency and feel so it is the same for the whole round.  Otherwise you round could suffer!  :)

Personally I think that if you can't afford to lose a Pro V or two or three during a round, then you shouldn't be playing them or you are paying to much for them.  You should never go into a round with only 2 Pro V's in your bag and 10 Pinnacle's or Topflite's!  I have a buddy that does this and it drives me nuts.  If he hits a bad shot and loses his Pro V, then he will pull out a "cheap" ball to play the rest of the round with or until he thinks he is hitting better and then he may switch back to a Pro V at least until anther bad shot happens.

I play the Chrome Soft's but I don't spend $40 a dozen on them and sometimes I may lose like 3 balls in a round.  This is rare for me but it does happen and the norm is one as I always have one bad shot that costs me a ball.  Now I am not saying I have only one bad shot but only one bad shot that costs me a ball.  I also don't spend time looking.  I go to where it was lost, take a quick look and move on!

Edited by lil'mike, 23 November 2017 - 12:32 PM.

#22 Stanks

Stanks

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 469442
  • Handicap:?
GolfWRX Likes : 122

Posted 23 November 2017 - 01:09 PM

So if you're on Hole 1, you driver say a Laddie Precept or a Top Flite. You kept it in play somehow and because you're not in competition, you pick up and drop a ProV1 (garbage) and finish the hole out. Same thing next couple holes.

I won't lie, I've done this. Should you do it? Whatever. Just get better with your driver and hit more fairways. I know, easier said than done, but, that's the only way you can mitigate this problem. Or, you can just use a better club off the box. Going shorter isn't always worse. Look at Coach Lockey on Crossfields channel. The guy hits 3 / 4 iron off the box a ton and is a great player. He rarely misses hard enough to lose a ball.

Maybe just don't use such an expensive ball. I won't care as much dropping a Top Flite in the woods when they're 30 - 50 cents a ball compared to a TP5 etc. etc.

Hope that helps man. And if you play with people that care that so much about you swapping a ball, then ditch them and play your own game.
Taylormade M3 10.5 / Project X Hzrdus Black 6.5 65 gram
Cobra F7 3 Wood 14.5
Cobra F7 3-4 Hybrid 19.5
Cobra MB 7-PW / CB 3-6
Callaway Mack Daddy Forged 50*
Callaway MD3 55* & PM Grind 60*.
Oydssey O-Works #9

#23 Break81

Break81

Broke80

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,514 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 263738
  • Handicap:9.5
  • Ebay ID:marcbogey
GolfWRX Likes : 495

Posted 23 November 2017 - 04:49 PM

Just buy some Top Flight Gamer Tours (3 dozen for $45 for Black Friday) and try that for a while. You get a 3 pc ball with a quality urethane cover. You will not feel so bad losing a few in a round if they are just over a $1 ea.
Cobra F7+ - Stiff
   Cobra F7 - 5/6 set at 17*
  Ping 22 degree Hybrid
Mizuno JPX850 Forger 4-GW - XP115 S300
Callaway Forged 52 degree
Titleist 55 F grind / 60 M grind
EVNROLL ER5 or Cleveland #6
   Srixon XV - K3 - Vice Pro

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors