Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

PGA Jr League

109 replies to this topic

#91 PINGRebel

PINGRebel

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 34790
  • Ebay ID:wesman32
GolfWRX Likes : 34

Posted 29 May 2018 - 08:25 PM

I’m not sure where the $200+ goes to for the fee (minus uniforms) since the clubs aren’t charging for usage late in the afternoons, on saturdays, in the Oklahoma heat, where they have to walk.
But, my 10yr old enjoys it and it’s a good “learning” ground until the “supposed” regional-all star thing happens.  Then it turns into every other little league sport....sort of like cutting two weight classes at state in youth wrestling (which we also run into)

Ping G400 Max
Ping G400 #3
Ping G Hybrid #3
Ping i200 Irons 4-W
Ping Stealth wedges 50, 54, 60
Ping 303 Milled Anser 2

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#92 leezer99

leezer99

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
GolfWRX Likes : 661

Posted 29 May 2018 - 08:54 PM

View PostPINGRebel, on 29 May 2018 - 08:25 PM, said:

I'm not sure where the $200+ goes to for the fee (minus uniforms) since the clubs aren't charging for usage late in the afternoons, on saturdays, in the Oklahoma heat, where they have to walk.
But, my 10yr old enjoys it and it's a good "learning" ground until the "supposed" regional-all star thing happens.  Then it turns into every other little league sport....sort of like cutting two weight classes at state in youth wrestling (which we also run into)

Don't know about the fees but at our matches the clubs fed everyone (including parents) pretty well.  Our team also got matching Puma hats, belts and golf shoes.

#93 PINGRebel

PINGRebel

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 34790
  • Ebay ID:wesman32
GolfWRX Likes : 34

Posted 29 May 2018 - 09:37 PM

Definitely no food around the Tulsa circuit...too bad.

Ping G400 Max
Ping G400 #3
Ping G Hybrid #3
Ping i200 Irons 4-W
Ping Stealth wedges 50, 54, 60
Ping 303 Milled Anser 2

#94 Golfingdawg19

Golfingdawg19

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 354301
GolfWRX Likes : 153

Posted 30 May 2018 - 06:28 AM

View PostPINGRebel, on 29 May 2018 - 08:25 PM, said:

I’m not sure where the $200+ goes to for the fee (minus uniforms) since the clubs aren’t charging for usage late in the afternoons, on saturdays, in the Oklahoma heat, where they have to walk.
But, my 10yr old enjoys it and it’s a good “learning” ground until the “supposed” regional-all star thing happens.  Then it turns into every other little league sport....sort of like cutting two weight classes at state in youth wrestling (which we also run into)

Our pro is a buddy of mine and he told me that the fees for junior league go to pay the course a litle bit, the pro gets a little for coaching, and some goes to pay for the stuff the kids get from the PGA. Some places charge more than others because some courses want more than others for the kids to play there. That is what I was told.

#95 kekoa

kekoa

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 7,791 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66944
  • Handicap:4-20
GolfWRX Likes : 1689

Posted 12 June 2018 - 03:03 PM

First match was last weekend and I had a great time.  Still getting used to not being able to give any advice, but my son's partner is a bit older and has a lot of golf sense.  He also knows my kids game pretty well.  Our boy's shot -4 and won the match, but there was a tie between our team and one other so my son and his partner were chosen to do a play off between kids of similar age for the other team.  I think everyone had a great time.

My son is one of the youngest but still hopeful he can make the all star team.

#96 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,369 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
GolfWRX Likes : 1857

Posted 12 June 2018 - 04:00 PM

View Postkekoa, on 12 June 2018 - 03:03 PM, said:

First match was last weekend and I had a great time.  Still getting used to not being able to give any advice, but my son's partner is a bit older and has a lot of golf sense.  He also knows my kids game pretty well.  Our boy's shot -4 and won the match, but there was a tie between our team and one other so my son and his partner were chosen to do a play off between kids of similar age for the other team.  I think everyone had a great time.

Never heard of a playoff in Jr. League.

#97 leezer99

leezer99

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2018 - 06:02 PM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 12 June 2018 - 04:00 PM, said:

They're playing in a four team league out of a single course trying to make a super team.

#98 Noles

Noles

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 136360
GolfWRX Likes : 334

Posted 13 June 2018 - 11:46 AM

View Postleezer99, on 12 June 2018 - 06:02 PM, said:

They're playing in a four team league out of a single course trying to make a super team.
That's the best way to get to Nationals.

#99 leezer99

leezer99

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2018 - 12:06 PM

View PostNoles, on 13 June 2018 - 11:46 AM, said:

Have you seen the changes to the playoffs?

This post season will have a different look than in the past. We will have a formal Section Championship with our “final four” All Star teams. These four teams will be determined from two local qualifiers. These qualifiers will be STROKE play, 2-person scramble format. You will have an aggregate team score, counting three of the four scores. The fourth score will be used as a tie-breaker. More information on this to follow.

Two teams from each of the two qualifiers will advance to the Section Championship. The Section Championship (and beyond) will revert back to the traditional head-to-head match play. Remember, your League will condense into one, 10-player All Star Team representing your League. More information on All Star selections, All Star Captains, etc. will follow as we approach the post season.

The structure for the Post Season is as follows:

Local Qualifiers: (your League/All Star team will compete in ONE of these qualifiers)
Date 1 - Course Location
Date 2 - Course Location

Section Championship: (top two teams from each of the two qualifiers will advance)
Date - Course Location
Three matches conducted over two days (Round Robin)

Western Regional: (Section Champion advances, joins other Section Champions)
Date - Course Location

National Championship: (Regional Champion advances; total of 12 Teams compete)
November 14-19 – Grayhawk Golf Club (Scottsdale, AZ)

#100 Noles

Noles

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 136360
GolfWRX Likes : 334

Posted 14 June 2018 - 08:13 AM

View Postleezer99, on 13 June 2018 - 12:06 PM, said:

View PostNoles, on 13 June 2018 - 11:46 AM, said:

Have you seen the changes to the playoffs?

This post season will have a different look than in the past. We will have a formal Section Championship with our “final four” All Star teams. These four teams will be determined from two local qualifiers. These qualifiers will be STROKE play, 2-person scramble format. You will have an aggregate team score, counting three of the four scores. The fourth score will be used as a tie-breaker. More information on this to follow.

Two teams from each of the two qualifiers will advance to the Section Championship. The Section Championship (and beyond) will revert back to the traditional head-to-head match play. Remember, your League will condense into one, 10-player All Star Team representing your League. More information on All Star selections, All Star Captains, etc. will follow as we approach the post season.

The structure for the Post Season is as follows:

Local Qualifiers: (your League/All Star team will compete in ONE of these qualifiers)
Date 1 - Course Location
Date 2 - Course Location

Section Championship: (top two teams from each of the two qualifiers will advance)
Date - Course Location

Western Regional: (Section Champion advances, joins other Section Champions)
Date - Course Location

National Championship: (Regional Champion advances; total of 12 Teams compete)
November 14-19 – Grayhawk Golf Club (Scottsdale, AZ)
Interesting.  I wonder if this will make much of a difference aside from making scheduling easier.  Scheduling the All-star matches and deciding who would be the home team was always a bit of a nightmare.

I spoke with a parent of a 12 year old that played for Roycebrook last year (they went to Nationals and finished 2nd) and apparently several kids from that team last year are now playing for a team in Delaware so they can get have a chance to get back to Nationals again.  The whole traveling and recruiting thing doesn't sit well with me.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#101 tiger1873

tiger1873

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 340777
GolfWRX Likes : 220

Posted 14 June 2018 - 09:28 AM

Looked a pga jr golf and we decided to pass.  A lot issues discussed here is like all team sports out there.  The great thing about golf is it is an individual sport and you don't need a team. It what attracted us to golf for our kids because they can control there own destiny. The kids who do best at it do not mind spending a lot time alone practicing play and what else they need to do for golf.  

Golf can be lonely so I can understand why people would want to encourage their kids to join pga jr league  but there is plenty of chances to play other kids with other tournaments. I have also found kids tend to get along with other kids who play golf pretty well.

At the end of the day it's an option but most local pga junior associations actually do a better jobs with putting on events for kids.

Edited by tiger1873, 14 June 2018 - 09:29 AM.

#102 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,369 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2018 - 10:53 AM

View Posttiger1873, on 14 June 2018 - 09:28 AM, said:

Looked a pga jr golf and we decided to pass.  A lot issues discussed here is like all team sports out there.  The great thing about golf is it is an individual sport and you don't need a team. It what attracted us to golf for our kids because they can control there own destiny. The kids who do best at it do not mind spending a lot time alone practicing play and what else they need to do for golf.  

Golf can be lonely so I can understand why people would want to encourage their kids to join pga jr league  but there is plenty of chances to play other kids with other tournaments. I have also found kids tend to get along with other kids who play golf pretty well.

At the end of the day it's an option but most local pga junior associations actually do a better jobs with putting on events for kids.

You have to understand why PGA Jr. League was set up.  It was initially set up for younger kids for a recreational event.  Team match play scramble that wasn't intimidating for kids just beginning the sport.  As soon as a National Competition was set up it started to grow to better players.  Adults got involved and started recruiting to their Leagues to make Super All-Star teams.

PGA Jr. League is still great.  I love the team concept.  If kids play high school and college, it is a team concept.  It is great for social activity in a non stress free environment because of the scramble part of the competition.  I just wish PGA Jr. League would decide who they want to be.  They need to limit participation on a team to a geographical area/state or they need to open it up to the entire state or region forming an all star team without recruiting or jumping threw hoops to do it.

Edited by heavy_hitter, 14 June 2018 - 10:53 AM.

#103 tiger1873

tiger1873

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2018 - 11:16 AM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 14 June 2018 - 10:53 AM, said:

You have to understand why PGA Jr. League was set up.  It was initially set up for younger kids for a recreational event.  Team match play scramble that wasn't intimidating for kids just beginning the sport.  As soon as a National Competition was set up it started to grow to better players.  Adults got involved and started recruiting to their Leagues to make Super All-Star teams.

PGA Jr. League is still great.  I love the team concept.  If kids play high school and college, it is a team concept.  It is great for social activity in a non stress free environment because of the scramble part of the competition.  I just wish PGA Jr. League would decide who they want to be.  They need to limit participation on a team to a geographical area/state or they need to open it up to the entire state or region forming an all star team without recruiting or jumping threw hoops to do it.

I understand the concept and the local level sounds like it makes sense. I just think what people see with the recruiting is pretty common on other team sports. We used to do dance competitions and those things have the same issues.   Not sure why better players would even bother with something like this much better to do individual tournaments.

To me pga jr league seems like it is made for the kids who play football or hockey or some other sport and can fit golf in the off season. For those kids it sounds like a great event. For those of us who have kids that already play golf year round it is pretty much a waste of time.

Edited by tiger1873, 14 June 2018 - 11:18 AM.

#104 BertGA

BertGA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 500442
GolfWRX Likes : 108

Posted 14 June 2018 - 11:42 AM

View Posttiger1873, on 14 June 2018 - 11:16 AM, said:

I understand the concept and the local level sounds like it makes sense. I just think what people see with the recruiting is pretty common on other team sports. We used to do dance competitions and those things have the same issues.   Not sure why better players would even bother with something like this much better to do individual tournaments.

To me pga jr league seems like it is made for the kids who play football or hockey or some other sport and can fit golf in the off season. For those kids it sounds like a great event. For those of us who have kids that already play golf year round it is pretty much a waste of time.

Once TV gets involved, and you have Golf Channel commentators ranking the field, competitive kids get interested. Probably building their resume.

#105 MikekiM

MikekiM

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 415850
GolfWRX Likes : 84

Posted 14 June 2018 - 12:33 PM

Oh gosh no, I would wholeheartedly disagree with this.  My son plays lots of individual stroke play tournaments but absolutely loves the team format of the PGAJLG.  Sure there are a lot of kids playing that aren't very good at golf, but there's no much less pressure on his individual performance that he has much more fun playing it.  He's not hurt by a poor shot nearly as much, and he has teammates there helping him and cheering him up on poor shots.  For the mental aspect this format does wonders for his confidence and his playing.  He looks forward to playing these matches more than individual tournaments since he gets to play with friends, and not always against them.

TaylorMade R15
Ping G25
Titleist T-MB
Titleist 716 CB
Titleist Vokey SM6
Scotty 009
Chrome Soft X / Ksig

#106 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,369 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2018 - 12:39 PM

Not sure why better players would even bother with something like this much better to do individual tournaments.

Because it is fun.  Isn’t that why you should play?

#107 tiger1873

tiger1873

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2018 - 01:23 PM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 14 June 2018 - 12:39 PM, said:

I am not saying don't do it. Just that the politics should be expected and there are lots of opportunities to meet other players. I also think it is overpriced but that is another topic.

#108 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,369 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2018 - 01:47 PM

View Posttiger1873, on 14 June 2018 - 01:23 PM, said:

View Postheavy_hitter, on 14 June 2018 - 12:39 PM, said:

I am not saying don't do it. Just that the politics should be expected and there are lots of opportunities to meet other players. I also think it is overpriced but that is another topic.

It is only over priced if you don’t make the playoffs.

The first couple of years the cost was $75 and included an Under Armour polo.

#109 Tigerswag

Tigerswag

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 241929
  • Ebay ID:Mike.pvtlabel
GolfWRX Likes : 18

Posted 15 June 2018 - 11:25 PM

Good luck to everyone playing PGA Jr league this year.  My son had an amazing time playing 4 years in a row.  He had the perspective of being on a ‘fun’ team and playing for a competitive team.  He always enjoyed the matches.  

His team was able to win without the two best players in the state.  The team won with great teamwork, sportsmanship and they really cared for each other.  It is great seeing many of the boys at AJGA and other events this year.  

Please enjoy every minute.  Celebrate every win.  The best thing we can do as parents is to help them love the game.

#110 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,369 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2018 - 01:40 PM

The Garb shirts this year are horrible.  Printing with heat seal numbers is not only cheap, but very uncomfortable.  Poorly done and most are crooked.

Edited by heavy_hitter, 16 June 2018 - 01:52 PM.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors