Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Overspeed Training

71 replies to this topic

#61 AUSweeper

AUSweeper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 492298
GolfWRX Likes : 25

Posted 07 September 2018 - 06:25 AM

Anyone else seen swing changes after using the speed sticks? My guy’s swing has flattened out a lot.  There’s always something to work on.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#62 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,701 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
GolfWRX Likes : 2308

Posted 07 September 2018 - 08:10 AM

View PostAUSweeper, on 07 September 2018 - 06:25 AM, said:

Anyone else seen swing changes after using the speed sticks? My guy's swing has flattened out a lot.  There's always something to work on.

My kid stopped doing them because it really messed up his swing.  His coach, who recommended, and bio-mechanics guy said for him to quit for a few months.  The program tells the golfer to swing as fast and as hard as you can.  He was doing so by getting the device too inside too fast.  It naturally transferred to the golf swing and he was getting stuck inside and started coming down the line steep.  It caused several problems.  

He is going to start them back up, but we are going to keep a more watchful eye on him performing the golf swing properly when using them.

Edited by heavy_hitter, 07 September 2018 - 09:45 AM.

#63 kcap

kcap

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 417624
GolfWRX Likes : 116

Posted 07 September 2018 - 08:45 AM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 07 September 2018 - 08:10 AM, said:

View PostAUSweeper, on 07 September 2018 - 06:25 AM, said:

Anyone else seen swing changes after using the speed sticks? My guy's swing has flattened out a lot.  There's always something to work on.

My kid stopped doing them because it really messed up his swing.  His coach, who recommended, and bio-mechanics guy said for him to quit for a few months.  The program tells the golf to swing as fast and as hard as you can.  He was doing so by getting the device too inside too fast.  It naturally transferred to the golf swing and he was getting stuck inside and started coming down the line steep.  It caused several problems.  

He is going to start them back up, but we are going to keep a more watchful eye on him performing the golf swing properly when using them.
This is really good to know and it could just be a coincidence - my son swing got quite steep in the Spring.  I just attributed it to growth spurts but it could very well have been the overspeed training we did over the winter/spring.  

Have not done Overspeed for a few months but will keep a close eye if/when he starts again.

#64 AUSweeper

AUSweeper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 492298
GolfWRX Likes : 25

Posted 07 September 2018 - 09:38 AM

We have the fall season starting soon, so will definitely put it on hold for now.  He did have some pretty good gains in ss in the 7 or so weeks he has done it...about 5-6 MPH

#65 hangontight

hangontight

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 477968
GolfWRX Likes : 294

Posted 22 September 2018 - 07:21 PM

Anyone else have any feedback from going through the program?  We’re in “off season “ now , but was thinking of starting SS for a few months to help keep his golf muscles working.  For those that saw this program change their swing, for worse- what would you do prevent that if you did the progra again ? Would you do it again?  What was the overall benefit.

#66 tiger1873

tiger1873

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 340777
GolfWRX Likes : 371

Posted 22 September 2018 - 07:53 PM

My thought is if you want a kid to swing faster they should work out more in the gym. I would ay a trainer is important as well but just over all working out and endurance will help in the long run.

#67 hangontight

hangontight

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2018 - 06:16 AM

View Posttiger1873, on 22 September 2018 - 07:53 PM, said:

My thought is if you want a kid to swing faster they should work out more in the gym. I would ay a trainer is important as well but just over all working out and endurance will help in the long run.

Did your kid do the over speed training ? Super speed?

#68 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,701 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2018 - 07:35 AM

View Posthangontight, on 22 September 2018 - 07:21 PM, said:

Anyone else have any feedback from going through the program?  We’re in “off season “ now , but was thinking of starting SS for a few months to help keep his golf muscles working.  For those that saw this program change their swing, for worse- what would you do prevent that if you did the progra again ? Would you do it again?  What was the overall benefit.

https://www.facebook...27088427609206/

My kid is back doing it again.  Just overly cautious and watch what he is doing.

#69 hangontight

hangontight

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2018 - 08:13 AM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 23 September 2018 - 07:35 AM, said:

My kid is back doing it again.  Just overly cautious and watch what he is doing.

Cautious about what?  Can you elaborate, please.  I see what you said in the post a few posts above.  Do you think that it’s inevitable and you need to take breaks, or do you think that you just need to keep an eye on it during OS program?   Thanks.

Edited by hangontight, 23 September 2018 - 08:15 AM.

#70 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,701 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2018 - 03:42 PM

View Posthangontight, on 23 September 2018 - 08:13 AM, said:

View Postheavy_hitter, on 23 September 2018 - 07:35 AM, said:

Cautious about what?  Can you elaborate, please.  I see what you said in the post a few posts above.  Do you think that it’s inevitable and you need to take breaks, or do you think that you just need to keep an eye on it during OS program?   Thanks.

Cautious that they are making a proper golf swing.  My kid would bring the club up too high across his chest and get the club too inside too fast trying to generate more speed.  Leaked into his full swing.  I think I am going to stop altogether and sell the sticks.  He is slowly starting to do it again and he hasn’t spent a lot of time with them.

Edited by heavy_hitter, 23 September 2018 - 03:42 PM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#71 tiger1873

tiger1873

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 340777
GolfWRX Likes : 371

Posted 24 September 2018 - 10:28 AM

View Posthangontight, on 23 September 2018 - 06:16 AM, said:

I looked into doing Super Speed. I even made a few shafts myself to try it out myself and noticed that it didn't really help me and any gains were lost fairly quickly.   I was still interested though but before i pulled the trigger I noticed there was some negative reviews on it.

With golf there always seems to be hot training aids and honestly most them are a fad and it why I was skeptical about this. I do think there is some positives though with any system like this. For instance you need to know what feels fast when you actually swing a club. Swinging fast and thinking you are swinging fast are two different things. Putting yourself on some sort of radar does help you understand how to be faster.

I have also learned hitting the gym and working out with my daughter we are seeing huge gains in speed.  It really doesn't surprise me that this is happening.  If your stronger and work on being flexible your going to be able too swing harder and faster.

Edited by tiger1873, 24 September 2018 - 10:33 AM.

#72 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,701 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2018 - 10:59 AM

View Posttiger1873, on 24 September 2018 - 10:28 AM, said:

View Posthangontight, on 23 September 2018 - 06:16 AM, said:

I looked into doing Super Speed. I even made a few shafts myself to try it out myself and noticed that it didn't really help me and any gains were lost fairly quickly.   I was still interested though but before i pulled the trigger I noticed there was some negative reviews on it.

With golf there always seems to be hot training aids and honestly most them are a fad and it why I was skeptical about this. I do think there is some positives though with any system like this. For instance you need to know what feels fast when you actually swing a club. Swinging fast and thinking you are swinging fast are two different things. Putting yourself on some sort of radar does help you understand how to be faster.

I have also learned hitting the gym and working out with my daughter we are seeing huge gains in speed.  It really doesn't surprise me that this is happening.  If your stronger and work on being flexible your going to be able too swing harder and faster.

I am giving it a month.  If I see more of the revert back I am done with them.  I think Puberty and seeing his pt will do him just fine without them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors