Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Any JGANC families?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 wildcatden

wildcatden

China Cat Sunflower

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 481904
GolfWRX Likes : 122

Posted 16 November 2017 - 01:28 PM

Looking into Junior Golf Association of Northern California (JGANC  http://jganc.com/ ) for next year.  Anyone here played that tour and have any feedback?  What is the rough cost to enter each tournament?

My kid would be 7 for this year.  One thing I see is that the yardage for the 7-9 year old range is up to 2,600 yards for 9-holes.  I kind of like that because the USKG  yardages are all just drive, PW, putt contests.  I'd like to see my kid utilize other clubs in his bag more often in tournament situations.  Probably would still play USKG regional events and state tourney's.

Edited by wildcatden, 16 November 2017 - 01:32 PM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 leezer99

leezer99

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
GolfWRX Likes : 257

Posted 16 November 2017 - 01:49 PM

View Postwildcatden, on 16 November 2017 - 01:28 PM, said:

Looking into Junior Golf Association of Northern California (JGANC  http://jganc.com/ ) for next year.  Anyone here played that tour and have any feedback?  What is the rough cost to enter each tournament?

My kid would be 7 for this year.  One thing I see is that the yardage for the 7-9 year old range is up to 2,600 yards for 9-holes.  I kind of like that because the USKG  yardages are all just drive, PW, putt contests.  I'd like to see my kid utilize other clubs in his bag more often in tournament situations.  Probably would still play USKG regional events and state tourney's.

No personal experience but the competition looks good.

#3 FSUGolfdog

FSUGolfdog

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2204
GolfWRX Likes : 16

Posted 16 November 2017 - 02:22 PM

My son played in about 15 of them over a 3 year period (14-17 yrs old), there is a fee to join which allow you to register for all of the tournaments.  There are some you can play in even though you are not a member, at a little higher costs.  The prices range anywhere from $50-$100 depending on how many days the tournament is, they are well run and the competition is usually really good.

I don't have a bad thing to say about organization or the tournaments they ran.

#4 agatha

agatha

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 308263
GolfWRX Likes : 1322

Posted 17 November 2017 - 01:27 AM

My son was a JGANC kid back from age 12-15 wish,  (he is 26 now) I know a lot has changed since he was part of it but they did a really good job and fields were stronger than where we are from so it was a good step between local to AJGA and such.  I have no idea how they run it now but there are a lot of talented junior players in California and it tends to be a big organization. The NCGA also puts on excellent junior tournaments, you can get that info on junior link on the NCGA website as well.

Edited by agatha, 17 November 2017 - 01:28 AM.

#5 wildcatden

wildcatden

China Cat Sunflower

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2018 - 10:34 AM

So I was looking at tours again for a friend of mine with a 10 year old boy.  They had already signed up for a couple upcoming JGANC tourneys (Castlewood today for example) which is great. However, they needed some assistance sorting out how it all works since English is a second language.

So, I started looking at the other tours in the Bay Area (within 2 hours drive) and the Future Collegians World Tour (FCWT) and Hurricane Junior Golf Tour (HJGT) seem to have the most events/participation.  What shocked me on these tours was the cost per event at $275-375 depending on which venue.

Given he is only 10, is it really even worth it yet to start playing those tours?  Seems like playing USKG locals/state/regionals and the JGANC events ($35-60/each) is more worthwhile at this age.

Edited by wildcatden, 04 January 2018 - 10:35 AM.

#6 leezer99

leezer99

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
GolfWRX Likes : 257

Posted 04 January 2018 - 11:21 AM

View Postwildcatden, on 04 January 2018 - 10:34 AM, said:

So I was looking at tours again for a friend of mine with a 10 year old boy.  They had already signed up for a couple upcoming JGANC tourneys (Castlewood today for example) which is great. However, they needed some assistance sorting out how it all works since English is a second language.

So, I started looking at the other tours in the Bay Area (within 2 hours drive) and the Future Collegians World Tour (FCWT) and Hurricane Junior Golf Tour (HJGT) seem to have the most events/participation.  What shocked me on these tours was the cost per event at $275-375 depending on which venue.

Given he is only 10, is it really even worth it yet to start playing those tours?  Seems like playing USKG locals/state/regionals and the JGANC events ($35-60/each) is more worthwhile at this age.

I would assume the HJGT and FCWT events are probably more geared for those juniors looking to get PBE Stars for the AJGA tour.  These are more of your 'top tier' events that kids want to be part of.  The JGANC is probably much more organic in nature with participation from local junior golfers of all levels.  If the 10 yo doesn't have much tournament experience the JGANC is probably a better bet to start off with.

#7 wildcatden

wildcatden

China Cat Sunflower

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2018 - 11:30 AM

View Postleezer99, on 04 January 2018 - 11:21 AM, said:

View Postwildcatden, on 04 January 2018 - 10:34 AM, said:

I would assume the HJGT and FCWT events are probably more geared for those juniors looking to get PBE Stars for the AJGA tour.  These are more of your 'top tier' events that kids want to be part of.  The JGANC is probably much more organic in nature with participation from local junior golfers of all levels.  If the 10 yo doesn't have much tournament experience the JGANC is probably a better bet to start off with.

He does have a couple years of USKG experience (Bay Area local, Regional events and State). I think I'll tell them to hold off on those tours for at least 1 more year unless there was one they just really wanted to play because they like that course or something. Thanks for your input.

#8 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
GolfWRX Likes : 988

Posted 04 January 2018 - 11:48 AM

FCWT is a waste of time IMO.  They are in it for the money.  Has a huge foreign flavor, nothing wrong with that, just saying.  If Cali is like Florida, there are a number of in-State offerings to choose from with better fields than the FCWT.  Long Story short, I have a huge dislike for the FCWT.  If you want to know the story, just PM me.  I am not into bashing organizations online, but this one isn't good.

#9 wildcatden

wildcatden

China Cat Sunflower

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2018 - 12:20 PM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 04 January 2018 - 11:48 AM, said:

FCWT is a waste of time IMO.  They are in it for the money.  Has a huge foreign flavor, nothing wrong with that, just saying.  If Cali is like Florida, there are a number of in-State offerings to choose from with better fields than the FCWT.  Long Story short, I have a huge dislike for the FCWT.  If you want to know the story, just PM me.  I am not into bashing organizations online, but this one isn't good.

Thanks for your input.  I'm thankful to get this information worked out in my brain now vs when  this 10 year old turns 12 (AJGA PBE Stars stuff) or my 7 year old gets to that age.

#10 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2018 - 01:08 PM

View Postwildcatden, on 04 January 2018 - 12:20 PM, said:

Thanks for your input.  I'm thankful to get this information worked out in my brain now vs when  this 10 year old turns 12 (AJGA PBE Stars stuff) or my 7 year old gets to that age.

FCWT is not at the level of AJGA or most of the state or regional tours.  They want you to think they are, but reality is they are not.  This is how I rank the national tours.

1.  AJGA
2.  HJGT
3.  IGM
4.  IJGT
5.  FCWT

In California, Florida, and Texas there are many state and regional tours/competitions that are better than all of the National Tours other than AJGA.  Most have better fields which means better competition.  Need to play in what will give you the best chance of earning PBE.  Girl's really don't need AJGA, boy's definitely need it if a scholarship is what you are looking for.  Depending on level of golf, you really don't need AJGAJ until you are around 14 give or take.  More important than the AJGA is the stars, however the stars do have a life expectancy.

It is a big game that you have to learn how to play.  I really don't feel like having that conversation today....lol.  I know there is a ton of info in a couple of older threads on AJGA and tournaments.  Bottom line, unless they are a really high level golfer, stick with US Kids until they are 12 and then start exploring other options.  No need to play US Kids past the age of 12 unless distance in other tours are a problem.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 wildcatden

wildcatden

China Cat Sunflower

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2018 - 01:34 PM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 04 January 2018 - 01:08 PM, said:

FCWT is not at the level of AJGA or most of the state or regional tours.  They want you to think they are, but reality is they are not.  This is how I rank the national tours.

1.  AJGA
2.  HJGT
3.  IGM
4.  IJGT
5.  FCWT

In California, Florida, and Texas there are many state and regional tours/competitions that are better than all of the National Tours other than AJGA.  Most have better fields which means better competition.  Need to play in what will give you the best chance of earning PBE.  Girl's really don't need AJGA, boy's definitely need it if a scholarship is what you are looking for.  Depending on level of golf, you really don't need AJGAJ until you are around 14 give or take.  More important than the AJGA is the stars, however the stars do have a life expectancy.

It is a big game that you have to learn how to play.  I really don't feel like having that conversation today....lol.  I know there is a ton of info in a couple of older threads on AJGA and tournaments.  Bottom line, unless they are a really high level golfer, stick with US Kids until they are 12 and then start exploring other options.  No need to play US Kids past the age of 12 unless distance in other tours are a problem.

I've browsed a couple threads on AJGA (perhaps one you started....LOL) so I can understand that you don't want to get *that* whole conversation started again.

Looks like you meant "IMG" not IGM on your list. For us NorCal folks, the IMG and IJGT tours look to be East coast.  I shall continue my studies.... thanks again.

#12 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2018 - 01:49 PM

View Postwildcatden, on 04 January 2018 - 01:34 PM, said:

View Postheavy_hitter, on 04 January 2018 - 01:08 PM, said:

1.  AJGA
2.  HJGT
3.  IGM
4.  IJGT
5.  FCWT

I've browsed a couple threads on AJGA (perhaps one you started....LOL) so I can understand that you don't want to get *that* whole conversation started again.

Looks like you meant "IMG" not IGM on your list. For us NorCal folks, the IMG and IJGT tours look to be East coast.  I shall continue my studies.... thanks again.

Yes, IMG....

Feel like I am going back and forth from private conversation to public.

I don't mind the conversation on AJGA.  I just don't have my mind in the right place to do it right now....  lol.  Trying to get myself motivated to work on some orders, contemplating going to get something warm to drink, and thinking about changing the color of Spieth 2's I have on order for my son.  :cheesy: It isn't a 5 minute conversation, but I am always willing to help others and share my knowledge/opinions (whether right or wrong) about them.

#13 Shades234

Shades234

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 446016
  • Handicap:1.2
GolfWRX Likes : 21

Posted 09 January 2018 - 08:11 PM

The JGANC has a few really top notch tournaments and was the best option available to me without having to do overnight travel/trips when I was playing junior golf in central California.

Edited by Shades234, 09 January 2018 - 08:11 PM.

Titleist 917D3 8.75 - Accra Tour Z X465 M5
Titleist 917F2 14.25 - Paderson KG Fairway KG860-F40
TaylorMade 2017 M1 H 19 - Fujikura Atmos Tour Spec Black 95 Hybrid X
Miura CB-501 4-9 - Oban CT-115X
Vokey SM6 48F, 52F, 56S, 60S - Oban CT-115X
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors