Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Right Knee in Transition/Downswing

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 joshsparham

joshsparham

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 291965
  • Handicap:6.6
  • Ebay ID:capaha10
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 14 November 2017 - 02:24 PM

Anyone had success keeping their right knee from working out to the ball in transition/downswing.  I am working on getting better hip action, but my right knee keeps working out towards the ball.  I don't want it sliding towards the target either.

Any successful feels or videos?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 Hilts1969

Hilts1969

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 378062
GolfWRX Likes : 211

Posted 14 November 2017 - 04:04 PM

joshsparham, on 14 November 2017 - 02:24 PM, said:

Anyone had success keeping their right knee from working out to the ball in transition/downswing.  I am working on getting better hip action, but my right knee keeps working out towards the ball.  I don't want it sliding towards the target either.

The basket drill is quite popular although I have more luck with getting the right hip deep and trying very hard to not let it move at all
It moves back briefly then it has to let go and rotate

#3 From_Parts_Unknown

From_Parts_Unknown

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 123904
GolfWRX Likes : 875

Posted 14 November 2017 - 04:22 PM

Kelvin Miyahira calls it the marching move in his videos.  That's always been a good visual for me.

#4 Jim Waldron

Jim Waldron

Balance Point Golf Schools

• Sponsors
  • 2,886 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 98978
GolfWRX Likes : 1442

Posted 14 November 2017 - 04:54 PM

The answer for most is all about getting the right glutes (left as well) to fire in Transition. That allows left knee to move away from right knee into the bow-legged look that Snead excelled at. Maintaining some external rotation pressure in right leg, along with squatting one inch or so into right knee, are two other essential parts of this swing segment.

If right glutes dont fire hard, you have no stability in the lower body, which causes right knee to push outward.

#5 joshsparham

joshsparham

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 291965
  • Handicap:6.6
  • Ebay ID:capaha10
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 14 November 2017 - 06:51 PM

Jim Waldron, on 14 November 2017 - 04:54 PM, said:

The answer for most is all about getting the right glutes (left as well) to fire in Transition. That allows left knee to move away from right knee into the bow-legged look that Snead excelled at. Maintaining some external rotation pressure in right leg, along with squatting one inch or so into right knee, are two other essential parts of this swing segment.

If right glutes dont fire hard, you have no stability in the lower body, which causes right knee to push outward.

This really makes some sense to me.  I have been working on getting the left knee to separate and rotate out but not thinking of the right at all.  Are you saying it should feel like the right is rotating externally at the same time? That would make some sense

#6 Jim Waldron

Jim Waldron

• Sponsors
  • 2,886 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2017 - 07:09 PM

joshsparham, on 14 November 2017 - 06:51 PM, said:

This really makes some sense to me.  I have been working on getting the left knee to separate and rotate out but not thinking of the right at all.  Are you saying it should feel like the right is rotating externally at the same time? That would make some sense

Yes on the right leg rotation. It is part of my Lower Body Postural Brace. You create it at Setup, and increase the pressure on the right leg during Transition. It helps with firing the right glutes too.

I had this issue in my own swing a few years ago, and PT and deep tissue massage helped me to free up the glutes and get them to fire more easily. Makes a huge difference!

#7 TTGolf77

TTGolf77

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 464848
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 14 November 2017 - 11:53 PM

joshsparham, on 14 November 2017 - 02:24 PM, said:

The right knee should go forward with the left knee and regain flex which means it will be working towards the ball as well.

#8 jkbroker

jkbroker

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 275587
GolfWRX Likes : 29

Posted 15 November 2017 - 11:55 AM

Jim Waldron, on 14 November 2017 - 07:09 PM, said:

Yes on the right leg rotation. It is part of my Lower Body Postural Brace. You create it at Setup, and increase the pressure on the right leg during Transition. It helps with firing the right glutes too.

I had this issue in my own swing a few years ago, and PT and deep tissue massage helped me to free up the glutes and get them to fire more easily. Makes a huge difference!

I really struggle with this, I have been trying to counteract it by just getting the arms moving faster to get more synced up.  I can do it in slow motion, but can't prevent the overactive right knee in a full swing.  I always thought it was a hit impulse, but maybe I am lacking core, glute, and hip flexor strength.  I sit an office chair and I have feeling this contributes to the poor posture problem.

#9 4rheel

4rheel

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20950
GolfWRX Likes : 216

Posted 15 November 2017 - 11:58 AM

Anyone getting a sore right knee trying to do this?  It almost feels like I'm grinding the right knee into the ground in the transition.

#10 starsail85

starsail85

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,647 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2663
GolfWRX Likes : 927

Posted 15 November 2017 - 12:40 PM

Forgive me for being dense , but what does firing the glutes actually mean ?

I can’t really feel what you are talking about , although when i sit on my couch , lift up my right leg, I notice my right glute contracts when I turn my right foot clockwise . Is this the feel ?

TM M2 9.5/ BB 60x 44”
TM M2T 15/ BB 60x 42.5”
Mizuno MP18 2FH/3-PW MB /Modus 3 105x
Mizuno MPS18 5209 5812 /Modus 3 wedge
Ping Derby Sigma /33”

Ball - tp5
Grips - SS cord

Lofts 18 21.5 25 29 33 37 41 45 49 53 58

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 Boomer3

Boomer3

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 477616
  • Handicap:5
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 15 November 2017 - 01:04 PM

I've been working on this with the basket between the legs drills, but it just feels so awkward for me. It feels like I can get the basket to drop but then I just flip my hands at the ball and do not get any rotation of the hips. I like the idea of trying to feel like the right hip stays back, and the left pelvis just stretches forward. Anyone have any videos or drills to match that thought?

#12 Tro

Tro

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 388218
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 15 November 2017 - 01:13 PM

George Gankas teaches this move as one of his core fundamentals.  See his instagram or Youtube videos for details.  IMO, the best at describing how this works.

What helps me is to feel, right at transition, that my pressure stays in my right heel as my left knee starts opening up.  At the point you get to around P6,  your front knee should feel open, while pressure is transferring to the outside edge of that front foot.  This is as far as you need to keep that rear knee from going internal.  Just push off from there.

Edited by Tro, 15 November 2017 - 01:14 PM.

#13 Jim Waldron

Jim Waldron

• Sponsors
  • 2,886 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2017 - 09:09 PM

starsail85, on 15 November 2017 - 12:40 PM, said:

Forgive me for being dense , but what does firing the glutes actually mean ?

I can't really feel what you are talking about , although when i sit on my couch , lift up my right leg, I notice my right glute contracts when I turn my right foot clockwise . Is this the feel ?

Firing the glute means contracting that muscle to the proper degree of tonus. Sometimes they are not firing enough to provide stability to your posture - and not just in the golf swing, in life. More common as you get older. Various exercises designed to switch on that muscle - bridges are one. Rotating the leg will tend to increase the glutes firing. Basically those two things plus the knee squat create better "grounding" during Transition.

Covered in depth in my new video Module 7 on Balance, which will be available in the next week or so.

#14 bogeypro

bogeypro

The Original Bogeypro

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,895 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3842
  • Handicap:+1
GolfWRX Likes : 823

Posted 15 November 2017 - 11:06 PM

let me help simplify all this mumbo jumbo.  Get the hips working correctly and the knees will do what they need to do in order to support it.  

https://www.youtube....h?v=NNwSfz0_KDM
TaylorMade M1 9.5 w/HZRDUS black (2017)
TaylorMade M1 15 w/Diamana S+ (2017)
Callaway Epic 19* hybrid w/Recoil
Mizuno MP18 SC 4-pw w/C Taper Lite
Mizuno T7 wedges 52/56/60
Scotty Cameron Golo 5 (2014) -OR- Bettinardi Studio Stock 16
Chrome Soft Truvis pink

GHIN: 5443949

#15 jbw749

jbw749

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 142633
  • Handicap:3
GolfWRX Likes : 435

Posted 16 November 2017 - 10:21 AM

I'm not sure if I'll ever completely get rid of my right knee straightening a bit on the DS. My next lesson with Jim we are going to work on lower body action. But until then I've had some good success with just letting both ankles roll laterally towards the target rather than pushing or twisting the the feet too early.

#16 Man_O_War

Man_O_War

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,721 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 135721
GolfWRX Likes : 778

Posted 19 November 2017 - 07:44 AM

bogeypro, on 15 November 2017 - 11:06 PM, said:

let me help simplify all this mumbo jumbo.  Get the hips working correctly and the knees will do what they need to do in order to support it.  

https://www.youtube....h?v=NNwSfz0_KDM

it's the other way round...knees, humerus turn the hips..
Cobra LTD Pro Fujikura Speeder Evolution II 661
Cobra LTD 3/4  Kai'li 80
Cobra LTD 4/5  Kai'li 80
TM Mid_Rescue TP 22*/Cobra F6 Tour Issue Hybrid 3/4 UST IROD/
Srixon Z945 4-PW Modus3 125
Nike Engage Wedges 52 sq, 54 sq, 58 TS, 60 TS KBS Tour
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.6 Black/Bettinardi Studio Stock #2/B Grace Artist Series
Nike RZN tour Plat/Black/Srixon Z-STAR XV

#17 jimwgt26

jimwgt26

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139787
GolfWRX Likes : 569

Posted 19 November 2017 - 10:42 AM

Here’s how I️ve worked on fixing my right knee going towards the ball: 1) Lay an alignment stick along your toe line. Think about keeping your right knee inside the alignment stick on the downswing. 2) In transition, feel the pressure go along the length of your right foot(roll your right foot) forcing your right knee towards your left.  In other words, the pressure in your right foot rolls to the inside instep before you roll up to your toe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors