Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Distance irons and smash factor: can smash be too high?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 dodgyman

dodgyman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 486738
  • Handicap:11
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 14 November 2017 - 10:31 AM

I got serious about my game last year and started seeing a pro regularly. I had improperly fitted clubs and a swing that was o.k. but needed work, so I was fitted to Callaway Steelhead XR Pro’s with light shafts that got me through the ball better.

My smash factor on my 7 iron can range from 1.4-1.5 which seems crazy for an iron. My typical clubhead speed is 80, ball speed 116-121. I’ve been trying out some of the “better player” irons (AP2s/X-forged) which smash around 1.3-1.36, and that seems more similar to what pro’s have on their trackman data.

As I consider switching to more of a player’s iron (many reasons, some real some superficial) I would love a second opinion of how I should think about the smash factor. I’m wondering if such a high smash factor (1.4-1.5) is the contributor to less distance control and possibly issues with distance gaps? My rationale is that the high smash would potentially vary by a lot causing bigger dispersion, and that it has no way of going up for my longer irons (5/4) and hence the gapping between clubs would not be as uniform?

Is this how others think about smash and why a smaller smash factor would be desirable? Am I just reading into these results to justify buying new clubs or are these real disadvantages?

Thanks!

Edited by dodgyman, 14 November 2017 - 10:32 AM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 rsballer10

rsballer10

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102321
  • Ebay ID:rsballer10
GolfWRX Likes : 92

Posted 14 November 2017 - 11:01 AM

View Postdodgyman, on 14 November 2017 - 10:31 AM, said:

I got serious about my game last year and started seeing a pro regularly. I had improperly fitted clubs and a swing that was o.k. but needed work, so I was fitted to Callaway Steelhead XR Pro’s with light shafts that got me through the ball better.

My smash factor on my 7 iron can range from 1.4-1.5 which seems crazy for an iron. My typical clubhead speed is 80, ball speed 116-121. I’ve been trying out some of the “better player” irons (AP2s/X-forged) which smash around 1.3-1.36, and that seems more similar to what pro’s have on their trackman data.

As I consider switching to more of a player’s iron (many reasons, some real some superficial) I would love a second opinion of how I should think about the smash factor. I’m wondering if such a high smash factor (1.4-1.5) is the contributor to less distance control and possibly issues with distance gaps? My rationale is that the high smash would potentially vary by a lot causing bigger dispersion, and that it has no way of going up for my longer irons (5/4) and hence the gapping between clubs would not be as uniform?

Is this how others think about smash and why a smaller smash factor would be desirable? Am I just reading into these results to justify buying new clubs or are these real disadvantages?

Thanks!
The engineers working for the club manufacturers design the lofts of each iron to account for whether the iron is "hot" or not.

With regards to distance control, you will get differing opinions on this forum. I have expirienced the CB 'flyers' at times but I think the effect is wayyy overstated. I believe the reason this happens is because off center strikes with CBs will feel solid, and when someone does flush it, they end up with 10+ more yards and fly the green.

#3 Kingcat990

Kingcat990

European Tailored Golf Socks

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,987 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 291815
GolfWRX Likes : 1957

Posted 14 November 2017 - 12:21 PM

View Postrsballer10, on 14 November 2017 - 11:01 AM, said:

off center strikes with CBs will feel solid, and when someone does flush it, they end up with 10+ more yards and fly the green.

Yes.  "flyers" is grossly mislabeled as the culprit of iron and ball flight inconsistencies. 10/10 it's the golfer catching one pure over the 9 other swings they're toe or heel sided.
Wyoming Cowboys

#4 baudi

baudi

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 27886
GolfWRX Likes : 106

Posted 14 November 2017 - 12:27 PM

Ok. Well. So how do you rate your ball flight patterns?

#5 morgan1819

morgan1819

Official Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 227651
  • Handicap:2.1
GolfWRX Likes : 364

Posted 14 November 2017 - 12:55 PM

To directly answer the OP's question:  assuming the clubs are built to high tolerances, the gaps should still be relatively uniform, even with what someone would consider a "hotter" iron head.  Good manufacturers have done lot of robot testing before the clubs hit the market.

Having said that, your dispersion could be larger with a "hot" or "jacked" iron, just as they would be with a driver that runs out further than another.

I still think a good iron game comes down to three things:  Practice, getting fit for the right shaft, and then testing before choosing the most forgiving iron that still looks good to your eye.

#6 dodgyman

dodgyman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2017 - 12:56 PM

View Postbaudi, on 14 November 2017 - 12:27 PM, said:

Ok. Well. So how do you rate your ball flight patterns?
What do you mean specifically about flight patterns? Are you asking about ball flight (high/low) or whether I get more of a draw/straight flight out of them?

#7 Chuck905

Chuck905

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 400908
  • Handicap:10
GolfWRX Likes : 57

Posted 14 November 2017 - 12:57 PM

1.5 smash factor is near impossible with an iron; 1.45 is very respectable for any iron.

You are going to lose fractional smash factor to sound, transfer, compression, heat and back spin.

Obviously, a driver will always have a better smash factor vs a pitching wedge in pure strikes.

Edited by Chuck905, 14 November 2017 - 12:59 PM.

#8 mountaintop

mountaintop

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 257012
GolfWRX Likes : 342

Posted 14 November 2017 - 12:58 PM

smash factor has nothing to do with distance control in and of itself.  you want the most efficient strike you can get.  smash factor is just ball speed/club speed.  its just a ratio.

all you want from each club is predictable response based upon what you put into it.  that predictable response is spin, launch, face angle, face to path and ballspeed.  smash factor has nothing to do with it.

now ... if your smash factor is high... and therefore ballspeed is relatively high, but the other metrics are hosed, spin, launch, face angle, face to path ... then that will cause inconsistency and even greater inconsistency since the ball is moving at a greater rate.

but a high smash factor as an isolated variable has bugger all to do with anything other than ballspeed relative to club speed.

EDIT: you want players irons, get them.  if you can middle them, then the higher cg will cause the ball to stop more quickly.

Edited by mountaintop, 14 November 2017 - 12:59 PM.

Covert 2.0 Driver
Baffler Rail F 3w, 5w
G30 22* Hybrid
Diablo Forged 5i - pw
SM6 Steel Gray 50.12f, 54.14f, 58.10s
Ghost Tour Black Daytona

4 Series
50 Elite

#9 dodgyman

dodgyman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2017 - 01:03 PM

View Postmountaintop, on 14 November 2017 - 12:58 PM, said:

smash factor has nothing to do with distance control in and of itself.  you want the most efficient strike you can get.  smash factor is just ball speed/club speed.  its just a ratio.

all you want from each club is predictable response based upon what you put into it.  that predictable response is spin, launch, face angle, face to path and ballspeed.  smash factor has nothing to do with it.

now ... if your smash factor is high... and therefore ballspeed is relatively high, but the other metrics are hosed, spin, launch, face angle, face to path ... then that will cause inconsistency and even greater inconsistency since the ball is moving at a greater rate.

but a high smash factor as an isolated variable has bugger all to do with anything other than ballspeed relative to club speed.

EDIT: you want players irons, get them.  if you can middle them, then the higher cg will cause the ball to stop more quickly.
I hear what you're saying, but my question/concern is about progressive smash factors. If I look at trackman PGA numbers, the smash increases with every club which suggests that ss+smash increasing=ideal gapping. I assume that if I'm hitting 1.4-1.5 on a 7 iron, I can't expect 1.6+ on a 4 iron and that this may be affecting the gapping with the lower irons. And while I could just hit a bunch of 4 irons and see what happens, I don't hit those consistently enough yet to tell.

#10 mountaintop

mountaintop

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 257012
GolfWRX Likes : 342

Posted 14 November 2017 - 01:11 PM

Edited by mountaintop, 15 November 2017 - 09:08 AM.

Covert 2.0 Driver
Baffler Rail F 3w, 5w
G30 22* Hybrid
Diablo Forged 5i - pw
SM6 Steel Gray 50.12f, 54.14f, 58.10s
Ghost Tour Black Daytona

4 Series
50 Elite

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 raynorfan1

raynorfan1

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,852 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119065
GolfWRX Likes : 733

Posted 14 November 2017 - 02:15 PM

View Postdodgyman, on 14 November 2017 - 01:03 PM, said:

View Postmountaintop, on 14 November 2017 - 12:58 PM, said:

I hear what you're saying, but my question/concern is about progressive smash factors. If I look at trackman PGA numbers, the smash increases with every club which suggests that ss+smash increasing=ideal gapping. I assume that if I'm hitting 1.4-1.5 on a 7 iron, I can't expect 1.6+ on a 4 iron and that this may be affecting the gapping with the lower irons. And while I could just hit a bunch of 4 irons and see what happens, I don't hit those consistently enough yet to tell.

IMHO if you’re not hitting a 4i consistently enough to understand your gapping, you should step back from the trackman and focus on building a repeatable, reliable swing.

The math / data exercises are good fun when you have a solid game that you’re trying to maximize at the margin. But you’re going to get massively bigger near term gains by working with your pro on your swing.

#12 grochol17

grochol17

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 80933
  • Ebay ID:gsi08284
GolfWRX Likes : 242

Posted 14 November 2017 - 02:15 PM

The main question I have is, where are you getting the smash factor numbers?  I don't know that it is physically possible to get a smash factor of 1.5 from an iron.  And, unless you're using trackman, flight scope, or foresight with the HMT, the system is only measuring ball speed and then guessing at smash factor and clubhead speed.

Also, as mountaintop has mentioned, you're over thinking this.  Assuming that it is physically possible to get a 1.5 smash with the XR 7 iron, Callaway would know this and factor it in to their set design.  So, any problems you're having with distance gaps between irons will not be a result of Callaway forgetting to take into account the max possible smash factor on each of their XR irons.

The only place it could matter is if you start mixing sets of irons together, but even then you can compensate for hot faced irons by tweaking things such as loft, shaft length, or shaft weigh.
Titleist 915 D3, 8.5*, Speeder Pro Tour Spec 84 S, tipped 1"
Titleist 915 F 14.25*, Speeder VC 8.2 Tour Spec X
Mizuno MP H5, 1&3 iron, C Taper Lite X  
Mizuno MP 25, 4&5 iron, DG X100 SSx1
Mizuno MP 5, 6-PW, DG X100 SSx1
Titleist Vokey Spin Milled CC, 53* (DG S300) & 58* (DG Spinner)
Piretti Potenza II Rev 2.0, 375g, 34"
Srixon Z Star 5

#13 baudi

baudi

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 27886
GolfWRX Likes : 106

Posted 14 November 2017 - 02:46 PM

@ dodgyman Yes. The ball flight should fit your eye and game. Only compare numbers on empirical sustainable practical evidence.

#14 cforselius

cforselius

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 196918
GolfWRX Likes : 70

Posted 14 November 2017 - 03:10 PM

The reason you are getting those high SF numbers is because your Dynamic loft (the actual loft you hit the ball with) is much lower with Steelhead pro vs CB irons. Lower loft equals higher smash and thats the reason smash factor varies throughout the set. Get higher Dynamic loft and smash will go down. But as stated, its just a ratio, dont look in to it that much.

#15 ihatecats18

ihatecats18

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 204367
  • Handicap:2.5
GolfWRX Likes : 16

Posted 14 November 2017 - 03:38 PM

Chalk me up as more of a feel person vs watching the smash factor numbers.  When you are out on the course, there is no smash #'s to tell you how you hit the ball.  I would try to find some comfortable distances and get to know a consistent feel for that shot.

Another thing is, depending on your iron, you may be swinging a 7 iron fro 2017 that has the loft of a 5 iron of 2010

Driver:   Cobra LTD Pro
Wood:       Cobra FlyZ 3/4 set to 16
Hybrid: Cobra F7 set to 20
Irons: Wilson F 100, 5-9 iron
Wedges:   Titleist- PW 48* SM Fgrind - GW 52 SM4 - SW 56 SM4.  Wilson LW 60* FG Tour
Putter:    TaylorMade Spider Mallet 72, 38"

Ball:           Bridgestone BB330S

#16 dodgyman

dodgyman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2017 - 04:57 PM

Thanks for the interesting feedback, and I do agree that this can be overanalyzed. Honestly if my smash factor wasn't capable of hitting in the 1.5 range (which I did not know is possible, and yes was done on Trackman) I don't know if I'd spend as much time thinking about it. I was hoping to understand the differences to help me get a sense of what kind of gaps/consistency to expect if I switched.

It's hard to compare a set you've gamed for a full year and have tuned your swing on, to something new, especially if you're also expecting the distances to go down. I wish I could take a set and game them for a month before making a call, but that's not really possible.

#17 DavePelz4

DavePelz4

Legend

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 20,635 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 69051
  • Handicap:10.0
GolfWRX Likes : 19497

Posted 14 November 2017 - 05:03 PM

View PostChuck905, on 14 November 2017 - 12:57 PM, said:

1.5 smash factor is near impossible with an iron; 1.45 is very respectable for any iron.

You are going to lose fractional smash factor to sound, transfer, compression, heat and back spin.

Obviously, a driver will always have a better smash factor vs a pitching wedge in pure strikes.

View PostChuck905, on 14 November 2017 - 12:57 PM, said:

Chuck you sound like you know your stuff.  Can you share how you lose even a minuscule about of smash factor to sound?  Very intriguing.

#18 Chuck905

Chuck905

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 400908
  • Handicap:10
GolfWRX Likes : 57

Posted 14 November 2017 - 05:21 PM

Sound is a form of energy measured in wavelengths as a direct cause from a medium. Frequency would be the best example.

Sound is also associated with power that we measure in decibels.

Such examples of frequency and decibels working combinations would be a driver making a piercing sound or a well struck forged iron.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors