Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Got right distance - hit wrong club?


  • Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Londoner

Londoner

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 483738
  • Joined: 10/07/2017
  • Location:Sheffield England
  • Handicap:14
  • Ebay ID:Woofwoof666
GolfWRX Likes : 144

Posted 13 November 2017 - 07:26 PM

Club champs last hole. Pin hanging off the back. Chasing birdie so have to get back to hole. Check gps, 1 club upslope, negligible wind. Holding green = ideal 7 iron. Pull it, hit it perfect. Flies everything, into the rubbish behind the green. Bag the club and see the 6 on the bottom.

Ever been so in the zone youve missed the obvious?

Edited by Londoner, 13 November 2017 - 07:50 PM.

Mizuno mp h5. 4-W KBS tour stiff 2 iron modus 3 stiff.
taylormade m2 Driver + hl 3 wood
ping anser
Titleist sm6 50 +54
Cleveland 60

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#2 No Catchy Nickname

No Catchy Nickname

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,358 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 383010
  • Joined: 06/28/2015
  • Location:Kyushu, Japan
  • Handicap:me
GolfWRX Likes : 3573

Posted 13 November 2017 - 07:44 PM

Yup. Worst was probably a round about 5~6 years ago, when I came to the last hole--a par 4--one over. The hole was pretty straight, but had waste ground (sand but not a bunker) on the left, then a lake.  I laid up with a fairway wood off the tee because I was a bit worried about going in the lake. Not a great lay up, but I was ok. I played for the fat of the green rather than the go over the water at the flag, but hit this horrendous duff hook into the lake. Dropped out and had about 80 yards left. Took out my 58*, hit it right over the back of the green. Looked at the club, and I'd taken out my 52*.
I walked off with a 9 in the end.

That's part of the reason I now try to put different coloured grips on my wedges.

Edit: Here's the hole: http://sggc.co.jp/co.../course.php?h=9
We were playing from the white tees. It was a bitterly cold day at the end of December. I remember playing in hail at one point in the round.

Edited by No Catchy Nickname, 13 November 2017 - 07:46 PM.

Driver: Ping G400 Tour 65S
4w: TaylorMade R9, Motore X (stock)
7w  TaylorMade V-steel, Quadra Fire Express RB 6SX
Irons: Mizuno MP18 PX6.0 @ + 1/2"   
Wedges: Callaway MD2 50* and 54* S Grind, MD2 58* T-grind   
Putter: Odyssey White Hot Pro #9

2

#3 Londoner

Londoner

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 483738
  • Joined: 10/07/2017
  • Location:Sheffield England
  • Handicap:14
  • Ebay ID:Woofwoof666
GolfWRX Likes : 144

Posted 13 November 2017 - 07:49 PM

View PostNo Catchy Nickname, on 13 November 2017 - 07:44 PM, said:

Yup. Worst was probably a round about 5~6 years ago, when I came to the last hole--a par 4--one over. The hole was pretty straight, but had waste ground (sand but not a bunker) on the left, then a lake.  I laid up with a fairway wood off the tee because I was a bit worried about going in the lake. Not a great lay up, but I was ok. I played for the fat of the green rather than the go over the water at the flag, but hit this horrendous duff hook into the lake. Dropped out and had about 80 yards left. Took out my 58*, hit it right over the back of the green. Looked at the club, and I'd taken out my 52*.
I walked off with a 9 in the end.

That's part of the reason I now try to put different coloured grips on my wedges.

Edit: Here's the hole: http://sggc.co.jp/co.../course.php?h=9
We were playing from the white tees. It was a bitterly cold day at the end of December. I remember playing in hail at one point in the round.
All my wedges have different grips for the same reason.
Mizuno mp h5. 4-W KBS tour stiff 2 iron modus 3 stiff.
taylormade m2 Driver + hl 3 wood
ping anser
Titleist sm6 50 +54
Cleveland 60

3

#4 DON SVO

DON SVO

    Hacker in progress...

  • Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99396
  • Joined: 11/29/2009
  • Location:Euless, Tey-Haws
GolfWRX Likes : 418

Posted 13 November 2017 - 08:27 PM

Twice I have done this... using my stand bag at courses I walk (not as organized as my staff bag) I said “this 9 iron feels funny” when standing over the ball. After sailing the green, I see it’s my 6.
A bag of left-handed junk

4

#5 Santiago Golf

Santiago Golf

    I Strive to make you Better

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,893 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 151005
  • Joined: 12/13/2011
  • Location:Boca Raton, Detroit, Ferris State
  • Handicap:???
GolfWRX Likes : 1458

Posted 13 November 2017 - 08:45 PM

I've done it wedges once a year and I don't know it happens but it does.

Driver: Taylormade M2 '17 10.5*; Project X Hazardus Black 6.5 (looking to get a GD Tour AD in the Future)

Fairway, Hybrid Searching!!!!!

Irons: Will be ordering
Titleist 718 AP3 3-4 irons
   718 AP2 5-6 irons
   718 CB 7-9 irons
Lofts: 19, 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42
Length and Lie: -1/4 inch, 2* flat
Shafts: (3) Tour AD DI 95X, (4-9) steelfiber i110 stiff

Wedges: Scratch 47*, 52*, 57*, Custom Ground 62*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 MB (Major Change in the Future)
Ball: Vice Pro Plus Pink

#NoDaysOff

5

#6 bigred90gt

bigred90gt

    Major Winner

  • Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,195 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68580
  • Joined: 11/02/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 633

Posted 13 November 2017 - 08:49 PM

View PostLondoner, on 13 November 2017 - 07:26 PM, said:

Club champs last hole. Pin hanging off the back. Chasing birdie so have to get back to hole. Check gps, 1 club upslope, negligible wind. Holding green = ideal 7 iron. Pull it, hit it perfect. Flies everything, into the rubbish behind the green. Bag the club and see the 6 on the bottom.

Ever been so in the zone youve missed the obvious?
I wasnt playing in a tournament, but just a casual round. 3rd hole is a 140ish yard par 3. I reached for my PW, teed up the ball and flushed it, only to watch it sail about 50 yards too long. Looked down and had my 6 iron. I kept the 6 in the slot just above my PW in the bag, and I guess I looked away as I was reaching for it and didnt realize.

6

#7 BicknellCC

BicknellCC

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 353385
  • Joined: 12/24/2014
  • Location:Indiana
GolfWRX Likes : 4305

Posted 13 November 2017 - 08:56 PM

View PostDON SVO, on 13 November 2017 - 08:27 PM, said:

Twice I have done this... using my stand bag at courses I walk (not as organized as my staff bag) I said "this 9 iron feels funny" when standing over the ball. After sailing the green, I see it's my 6.


Same,

I've done it enough times that I look at the number at least twice when I pull my 9.

7

#8 Mcgeeno

Mcgeeno

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 144643
  • Joined: 10/30/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 624

Posted 13 November 2017 - 09:09 PM

I've gotten the 6 and 9 mixed up in my first round of the year.

Pured one out of a fairway bunker...I mean I flagged it. And then I saw it sail the green and land in the junk 30+ yards long.

Whoops.

I've got single length irons now, so you almost get in the habit of doing a little double check when you pull out your club, LOL.

8

#9 Swisstrader98

Swisstrader98

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 170802
  • Joined: 03/23/2012
GolfWRX Likes : 325

Posted 13 November 2017 - 09:32 PM

Had a caddie once hand me the wrong club...3 wood vs 5 wood and I flew the green by a bunch.

Now all the caddies at my club crackup that I double check the number every single time they hand me a club.

9

#10 No Catchy Nickname

No Catchy Nickname

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,358 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 383010
  • Joined: 06/28/2015
  • Location:Kyushu, Japan
  • Handicap:me
GolfWRX Likes : 3573

Posted 13 November 2017 - 10:16 PM

View PostLondoner, on 13 November 2017 - 07:49 PM, said:

View PostNo Catchy Nickname, on 13 November 2017 - 07:44 PM, said:

Yup. Worst was probably a round about 5~6 years ago, when I came to the last hole--a par 4--one over. The hole was pretty straight, but had waste ground (sand but not a bunker) on the left, then a lake.  I laid up with a fairway wood off the tee because I was a bit worried about going in the lake. Not a great lay up, but I was ok. I played for the fat of the green rather than the go over the water at the flag, but hit this horrendous duff hook into the lake. Dropped out and had about 80 yards left. Took out my 58*, hit it right over the back of the green. Looked at the club, and I'd taken out my 52*.
I walked off with a 9 in the end.

That's part of the reason I now try to put different coloured grips on my wedges.

Edit: Here's the hole: http://sggc.co.jp/co.../course.php?h=9
We were playing from the white tees. It was a bitterly cold day at the end of December. I remember playing in hail at one point in the round.
All my wedges have different grips for the same reason.

More than anything else, it acts as an extra reminder for me to check the loft on the sole.

Driver: Ping G400 Tour 65S
4w: TaylorMade R9, Motore X (stock)
7w  TaylorMade V-steel, Quadra Fire Express RB 6SX
Irons: Mizuno MP18 PX6.0 @ + 1/2"   
Wedges: Callaway MD2 50* and 54* S Grind, MD2 58* T-grind   
Putter: Odyssey White Hot Pro #9

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#11 Millbrook

Millbrook

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 216859
  • Joined: 12/20/2012
  • Location:East Yorkshire UK
GolfWRX Likes : 390

Posted 14 November 2017 - 06:19 AM

View PostBicknellCC, on 13 November 2017 - 08:56 PM, said:

View PostDON SVO, on 13 November 2017 - 08:27 PM, said:

Twice I have done this... using my stand bag at courses I walk (not as organized as my staff bag) I said "this 9 iron feels funny" when standing over the ball. After sailing the green, I see it's my 6.


Same,

I've done it enough times that I look at the number at least twice when I pull my 9.

Opposite for me. Hit the best drive ever on this particular hole and left me with a 6 iron to the green. Hit a perfect 9 iron short.
All comments are made from the point of
view of my learning and not a claim
to expertise.

11

#12 Boricua Golf

Boricua Golf

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,938 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 137445
  • Joined: 08/23/2011
  • Location:Fredericksburg, VA
  • Handicap:3.3
  • Ebay ID:luisito11*11
GolfWRX Likes : 1207

Posted 14 November 2017 - 07:05 AM

Same for me, I hit the shorter club flushed and still got the distance I needed, 185 back pin on long par4, I honestly didn't understand, my playing partner asked me what I hit and I replied "6", when I was putting the club back in the bag, the 6 was already there, I ended up hitting an 8 to 184y back pin, I've tried to hit an 8 that far again and not once have I come close, 170 is my best with it...who knows...
Driver---------------Ping G LS Tec 10.5*, Ping Alta 55 X Flex, tipped 1", 44.5"
FW Wood----------Ping G 15*, Diamana Whiteboard D+ 82X, tipped .5", 42.5"
Hybrid---------------Ping G 19*, Tour AD-DI 105X
Irons-----------------Ping iBlade 4-P, Project X 6.5 Flighted
Wedges-------------Ping Glide 50*, 54*, 58* with Project X 6.5 Flighted
Putter----------------Ping Oslo (Ping Nome TR as backup), 33.25" with SS Pistol GT Tour 1.0
Golf Ball-------------2017 Pro V1, K-Sigs and Chrome Soft X

12

#13 MrJones

MrJones

    Waiting for the weekend...

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 18450
  • Joined: 08/26/2006
  • Location:Alabama
  • Handicap:4.5
GolfWRX Likes : 582

Posted 14 November 2017 - 08:58 AM

We have a par 5 that protects itself from driver by having a large ravine that crosses the fairway. When I get on the tee box, I know I'm going to hit my 3 iron. Every time. Occasionally they will move the tees to the forward box (especially during winter) on which I'll hit a 6 iron. I've twice hit a great shot and immediately realized I hit the wrong club right into the ravine.
Cobra Bio Cell Pro
Cobra Bio Cell+ 3 wood
Speedblades, 3-AW
Mizuno MP-R 54*, 60*   
Odyssey White Ice 1

13

#14 andrue

andrue

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 458618
  • Joined: 03/13/2017
  • Location:South Northants, UK
  • Handicap:23
GolfWRX Likes : 152

Posted 14 November 2017 - 10:58 AM

View PostLondoner, on 13 November 2017 - 07:26 PM, said:

Club champs last hole. Pin hanging off the back. Chasing birdie so have to get back to hole. Check gps, 1 club upslope, negligible wind. Holding green = ideal 7 iron. Pull it, hit it perfect. Flies everything, into the rubbish behind the green. Bag the club and see the 6 on the bottom.

Ever been so in the zone youve missed the obvious?
Count me in as another as wanted 9 but got 6. Caused by a new bag and me rearranging my clubs. On the plus side it gave my playing partners a good laugh. I wouldn't have minded but it was a damn' good strike as well :stop:

And many (many, many) years ago when I was a beginner I caught the ball beautifully with a sandwedge. That was absolutely the right club to use..from a green side bunker :D

Edited by andrue, 14 November 2017 - 11:03 AM.

Callaway XR Driver.
Callaway Big Bertha OS Hybrids (3/4/5)
Callaway Big Bertha OS Irons (6/7/8/9/PW/AW/SW)
Cleveland 60* LW
Callaway 64* Sureout wedge
Ghost Spider Si 72 Putter
Callaway Super Soft Yellow (White in winter).

14

#15 Lincoln_Arcadia

Lincoln_Arcadia

    Golf is supposed to be fun, enjoy it. . .

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 263134
  • Joined: 07/10/2013
  • Location:So. Cal.
  • Handicap:9.0
GolfWRX Likes : 35

Posted 14 November 2017 - 01:03 PM

View PostDON SVO, on 13 November 2017 - 08:27 PM, said:

Twice I have done this... using my stand bag at courses I walk (not as organized as my staff bag) I said "this 9 iron feels funny" when standing over the ball. After sailing the green, I see it's my 6.

I've done this before, but not for a few years with my wide sole Pings.


15

#16 GMR

GMR

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 175756
  • Joined: 04/17/2012
GolfWRX Likes : 122

Posted 14 November 2017 - 01:14 PM

View PostSwisstrader98, on 13 November 2017 - 09:32 PM, said:

Had a caddie once hand me the wrong club...3 wood vs 5 wood and I flew the green by a bunch.

Now all the caddies at my club crackup that I double check the number every single time they hand me a club.
I've had a caddie do this exact same thing 3 different times! The only time I actually got caught out and hit it things were the other way around though... flushed the 3 from the fairway only to immediately think to myself "wow that sure is a high shot off the deck!" Uh yeah no.

16

#17 Sean2

Sean2

    #TheWRX (Callaway Trip)

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 26,219 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29539
  • Joined: 05/23/2007
  • Location:South of Boston
  • Ebay ID:None
GolfWRX Likes : 12897

Posted 14 November 2017 - 04:08 PM

View PostLondoner, on 13 November 2017 - 07:26 PM, said:

Club champs last hole. Pin hanging off the back. Chasing birdie so have to get back to hole. Check gps, 1 club upslope, negligible wind. Holding green = ideal 7 iron. Pull it, hit it perfect. Flies everything, into the rubbish behind the green. Bag the club and see the 6 on the bottom.

Ever been so in the zone youve missed the obvious?

Oh yeah...done this more than a few times.
Callaway GBB Epic 11º / Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana M+ 40 R
Callaway GBB Epic 16º / 20º / 24º Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana M+ 50
Callaway CF16 / 6--AW / UST Recoil ES 460 F4
Callaway Forged and MD-PM 54º / 58º / 62º UST Recoil ES 460 F4

Callaway Odyssey O Works Tank #7

17

#18 b.mattay

b.mattay

    New WRX'er

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 447380
  • Joined: 11/25/2016
  • Handicap:+2
GolfWRX Likes : 86

Posted 14 November 2017 - 04:56 PM

I have never done this. When I put the club down by the ball I can tell immediately if it isn't the club I intended to pull. It is pretty obvious that the loft on the face of different clubs appears differently. Maybe I am just OCD.

Edited by b.mattay, 14 November 2017 - 04:58 PM.


18

#19 augustgolf

augustgolf

    Golf with dignity

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,179 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 438244
  • Joined: 08/25/2016
  • Location:Coastal NC
  • Handicap:0
  • Ebay ID:augustgolf
GolfWRX Likes : 2206

Posted 14 November 2017 - 05:04 PM

View PostSwisstrader98, on 13 November 2017 - 09:32 PM, said:

Had a caddie once hand me the wrong club...3 wood vs 5 wood and I flew the green by a bunch.

Now all the caddies at my club crackup that I double check the number every single time they hand me a club.

Couldn't help but comment on this:

BITD (early 70's) I had a regular loop at the club where I caddied, but when the member-guest came around, my regular loop had his son carry for him, and I caddied for his guest. A real nice guy, and I looked forward to looping his bag.

But, this round, he was having a real hard time (like we all tend to do at one time or another).

Got to 13, long par 5, and his tee shot wasn't too great. And his second/recovery shot wasn't all that stellar either.

In his fit of disappointment, he grabbed a club from his bag, throwns the headcover at me, and tell his partner, "this 5 wood is my favorite club, and should get me there fine".

He flushes it, smiles, and when I hand him his 3 wood headcover, he laughs and...well, lets' say, the rest of the round was much more fun than the first 12 holes!
Pings from the beginning

OGA member 1415
or is it 1514...
I don't remember exactly

19



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors