Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Ceramic coating on irons


  • Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 EHolm

EHolm

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 446786
  • Joined: 11/18/2016
  • Location:Sweden
GolfWRX Likes : 98

Posted 13 November 2017 - 11:24 AM

Anyone ever tried this? https://www.golfiron...erakote-ceramic
Was considering getting my irons blacked out and put some black $-tapers in them but want something that doesnt wear out after half a season

PXG 0811X 7,5° Veylix Rome 888 X
PXG 0341X 3W 13.5° Veylix Rome 888 X
TaylorMade P790 2i UDI Veylix Rome 988 X
TaylorMade P770 4-7 KBS $-taper black 130x-stiff
TaylorMade P750 8-PW KBS $-taper black 130x-stiff
Titleist SM7 Jet black 50-12F KBS Tour custom white x-stiff
Titleist SM7 Jet black 56-10M KBS Tour custom white stiff
Titleist SM7 Jet black 62-06L KBS Tour custom white stiff
Odyssey Lucky 777 SB

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#2 Nessism

Nessism

    To measure is to know...

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,586 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131490
  • Joined: 06/23/2011
  • Location:Torrance, CA
GolfWRX Likes : 8524

Posted 13 November 2017 - 11:50 AM

Cerakote is not ceramic in the sense that most people think about.  It's not like a ceramic tile or a coffee mug.  As I understand it Cerakote is a high temperature powder coat that withstands high temperatures, thus the ceramic designation.  In my experience it's not very abrasion/chip resistance though.  I've got a motorcycle with Cerakote on the exhaust system and there is a spot on one of the head pipes that flaked off.  Before getting the coating done I asked the shop owner about chip resistance and he told me that's not Cerakote's strong point (read into that as you will).

Edit: did a bit of research and found that the Cerakote exhaust system coating is different from that used for firearms.  I believe those golf club guys in the UK used the firearm version so my comments about handing durability is apples to oranges and doesn't fully apply.  I'm still not clear how well that stuff would be on a golf club though.  Most likely good on a driver (other than the face) or a putter and similar.  Don't think I'd use it on the face or sole of an iron unless you are okay with it coming off to some extent.

Edited by Nessism, 13 November 2017 - 05:36 PM.

Ping G400 driver w/Adila Rogue 125 Silver 60S
TEE XCG6 3 & 5 fairway woods & E8 hybrid
Mizuno Hot Metal irons w/Recoil 95's
Glide 50/55/60 wedges w/Recoil 110's
Ping Anser putter - the "real deal!"

2

#3 dbdors

dbdors

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,475 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139771
  • Joined: 09/23/2011
  • Location:Houston, Clear Lake area
  • Handicap:18
  • Ebay ID:dbdors
GolfWRX Likes : 330

Posted 13 November 2017 - 12:18 PM

Some have used it on putters.  I don't think I'd try it on an iron though.

http://www.golfwrx.c...59031-cerakote/

https://www.cerakote...ery/?htids=1803

Woods: Ping G30 10.5 Aldila Rogue Silver 60 Tour S, TEE CB4 4W (16.5) Aldila Rogue Silver 70 S
Hybrids: TEE CBX 3H (20d), 4H (22d), Project X 85 6.0, Kuro Kage Silver Hybrid 85S
Irons: TM 2017 M2, 5-PW, KBS Tour 105 stiff
Wedges: Mizuno T7 Blue Ion, 50.07, 54.12, 58.12, KBS 610 Wedge, Stiff
Putters: SC Cameron & Crown, 33", SS Counter Core Mid Slim 2.0
Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft/Srixon Zstar, Titleist AVX all in yellow
Bag/Cart: '18 Ping Hoofer/Clicgear 3.5+
Accesories: Garmin G8/Bushnell Tour V4

3

#4 DFS PFD

DFS PFD

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 485676
  • Joined: 10/30/2017
  • Handicap:1.8
GolfWRX Likes : 475

Posted 13 November 2017 - 02:48 PM

Would wear very quickly as far as abrasion from turf interaction is concerned.
F8+ Kuro Kage DC 70 TX
M2 Tour 15* Kuro Kage DC 70TX
790 UDI Tensei Pro White 100TX
4-PW Nike VR Pro Blades X7's
50* MD4 Raw Tour issue S400
55* MD4 Raw Tour issue S400
60* Hi-Toe Tour Issue S400
009

4

#5 ddetts

ddetts

    Ty Webb

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 63197
  • Joined: 08/13/2008
  • Location:Sioux Falls, SD
  • Handicap:8.0
GolfWRX Likes : 347

Posted 13 November 2017 - 02:59 PM

I've seen a number of places doing a cerakote finish on steel shafts too, but I don't think I've ever seen on iron heads.

https://www.cerakote...m/resource/faq/

-----> See my current WITB
Nike Vapor Pro, Project X Black 6.0
TaylorMade '17 M2 Tour 15*, Kuro Kage Silver Dual-Core TiNi
Callaway X Utility Prototype 18*, KBS Tour 120
Mizuno MP-54 3-4 | MP 15 5-PW, C-Taper Lite S
Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
Odyssey White Hot XG #7

Posted Image  Posted Image

5

#6 halliedog

halliedog

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,773 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 30624
  • Joined: 06/03/2007
  • Location:Akron OH
  • Handicap:5.2
GolfWRX Likes : 651

Posted 14 November 2017 - 07:46 AM

OP, Google Black Nitride.  Best I've ever seen/used, other than the "black" chrome a few companies used a few years back.  Black Nitride is actually more wear resistant than chrome, and doesn't effect the "feel" of the steel.  I have a set of TM RAC TP Combos that I got re-done with this and they are awesome looking/feeling.  It does get a bit "silvery" on the soles/faces, but doesn't chip or wear completely off.
WITB:
TM M1 8.5* w/ Aldila Rip Alpha 45.5
Ping TiSi Tec 7.5* w/ Elements Chrome 43"
TM UDI 1, 3 w/ KBS C-Taper Lite S
TM P770 4-PW
Nevada Golf Guy 53-08 w/ KBS Tour V X
TM "Un-Ghosted" Tour 880

6

#7 ddetts

ddetts

    Ty Webb

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 63197
  • Joined: 08/13/2008
  • Location:Sioux Falls, SD
  • Handicap:8.0
GolfWRX Likes : 347

Posted 14 November 2017 - 10:03 AM

I've never seen in person, but the black chrome and satin black chrome that Tiger Nick Golf uses in their refinishing looks awesome.
-----> See my current WITB
Nike Vapor Pro, Project X Black 6.0
TaylorMade '17 M2 Tour 15*, Kuro Kage Silver Dual-Core TiNi
Callaway X Utility Prototype 18*, KBS Tour 120
Mizuno MP-54 3-4 | MP 15 5-PW, C-Taper Lite S
Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
Odyssey White Hot XG #7

Posted Image  Posted Image

7

#8 EHolm

EHolm

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 446786
  • Joined: 11/18/2016
  • Location:Sweden
GolfWRX Likes : 98

Posted 14 November 2017 - 10:55 AM

View Posthalliedog, on 14 November 2017 - 07:46 AM, said:

OP, Google Black Nitride.  Best I've ever seen/used, other than the "black" chrome a few companies used a few years back.  Black Nitride is actually more wear resistant than chrome, and doesn't effect the "feel" of the steel.  I have a set of TM RAC TP Combos that I got re-done with this and they are awesome looking/feeling.  It does get a bit "silvery" on the soles/faces, but doesn't chip or wear completely off.
Are there different kinds of this? So far people seem to think it makes the clubs harder and thats a no go for me
PXG 0811X 7,5° Veylix Rome 888 X
PXG 0341X 3W 13.5° Veylix Rome 888 X
TaylorMade P790 2i UDI Veylix Rome 988 X
TaylorMade P770 4-7 KBS $-taper black 130x-stiff
TaylorMade P750 8-PW KBS $-taper black 130x-stiff
Titleist SM7 Jet black 50-12F KBS Tour custom white x-stiff
Titleist SM7 Jet black 56-10M KBS Tour custom white stiff
Titleist SM7 Jet black 62-06L KBS Tour custom white stiff
Odyssey Lucky 777 SB

8

#9 EHolm

EHolm

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 446786
  • Joined: 11/18/2016
  • Location:Sweden
GolfWRX Likes : 98

Posted 14 November 2017 - 10:58 AM

So apparently using this on irons doesnt seem like a good idea. Any good ways to diy? Who does good work except Tiger Nick and BOS?
PXG 0811X 7,5° Veylix Rome 888 X
PXG 0341X 3W 13.5° Veylix Rome 888 X
TaylorMade P790 2i UDI Veylix Rome 988 X
TaylorMade P770 4-7 KBS $-taper black 130x-stiff
TaylorMade P750 8-PW KBS $-taper black 130x-stiff
Titleist SM7 Jet black 50-12F KBS Tour custom white x-stiff
Titleist SM7 Jet black 56-10M KBS Tour custom white stiff
Titleist SM7 Jet black 62-06L KBS Tour custom white stiff
Odyssey Lucky 777 SB

9

#10 mmhayden13

mmhayden13

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 411118
  • Joined: 02/04/2016
  • Location:Bartlesvilee, Oklahoma
  • Handicap:16.4
GolfWRX Likes : 304

Posted 14 November 2017 - 10:58 AM

LOL..... Not gonna lie when I read the title I thought you meant the ceramic coating they are using on vehicles now days. I was like no way someone is trying that.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#11 Wardonation

Wardonation

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 107035
  • Joined: 04/28/2010
  • Handicap:+2.8
GolfWRX Likes : 141

Posted 14 November 2017 - 12:54 PM

DLC is the best but spendy. I currently have a set of cally MB's getting this done and will share pics when I get them back...

11

#12 halliedog

halliedog

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,773 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 30624
  • Joined: 06/03/2007
  • Location:Akron OH
  • Handicap:5.2
GolfWRX Likes : 651

Posted 14 November 2017 - 09:19 PM

View PostEHolm, on 14 November 2017 - 10:55 AM, said:

View Posthalliedog, on 14 November 2017 - 07:46 AM, said:

OP, Google Black Nitride.  Best I've ever seen/used, other than the "black" chrome a few companies used a few years back.  Black Nitride is actually more wear resistant than chrome, and doesn't effect the "feel" of the steel.  I have a set of TM RAC TP Combos that I got re-done with this and they are awesome looking/feeling.  It does get a bit "silvery" on the soles/faces, but doesn't chip or wear completely off.
Are there different kinds of this? So far people seem to think it makes the clubs harder and thats a no go for me

I sent an extra wedge that I had had Black Nitrided to a fellow member here who works in "metallugy" and he did hardness tests on it and an identical chromed head, and found no major difference in "hardness".  I personally don't notice any difference in feel before/after.

Tiger Nick does do excellent work from what I've seen of his eBay auctions for "Black Chrome", but once again, it's chrome and will eventually wear   The beauty of Black Nitride is it doesn't wear that much, as it actually penetrates the first microns of the surface of the metal (can't remember exact amount) so it is not a "plated" finish that is adhered to the surface, but actually penetrates the surface and is molecularly bound.  Plus, at least for me, Nitride was MUCH cheaper than Black chrome.

Good luck with whatever you decide, and be sure to post pics when done!  I love the look of the Black Chrome better, but when you factor in the cost and durability it was a no-brainer for me, and I couldn't be happier with the results:

Attached Thumbnails

  • IMG_1676.JPG
  • IMG_1443.JPG

WITB:
TM M1 8.5* w/ Aldila Rip Alpha 45.5
Ping TiSi Tec 7.5* w/ Elements Chrome 43"
TM UDI 1, 3 w/ KBS C-Taper Lite S
TM P770 4-PW
Nevada Golf Guy 53-08 w/ KBS Tour V X
TM "Un-Ghosted" Tour 880

12

#13 EHolm

EHolm

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 446786
  • Joined: 11/18/2016
  • Location:Sweden
GolfWRX Likes : 98

Posted 15 November 2017 - 11:50 AM

View PostGTPL, on 14 November 2017 - 12:56 PM, said:

If you want a good iron coating that's thin and more wear resistant than triple plated chrome, go PVD. If some corectly, you'll never wear it out. I ran rainbow PVD irons on a range that was primarily sand, and just barely wore the PVD off the sole.
Man those look sick! Any place you can recommend?
PXG 0811X 7,5° Veylix Rome 888 X
PXG 0341X 3W 13.5° Veylix Rome 888 X
TaylorMade P790 2i UDI Veylix Rome 988 X
TaylorMade P770 4-7 KBS $-taper black 130x-stiff
TaylorMade P750 8-PW KBS $-taper black 130x-stiff
Titleist SM7 Jet black 50-12F KBS Tour custom white x-stiff
Titleist SM7 Jet black 56-10M KBS Tour custom white stiff
Titleist SM7 Jet black 62-06L KBS Tour custom white stiff
Odyssey Lucky 777 SB

13

#14 EHolm

EHolm

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 446786
  • Joined: 11/18/2016
  • Location:Sweden
GolfWRX Likes : 98

Posted 15 November 2017 - 11:51 AM

View PostWardonation, on 14 November 2017 - 12:54 PM, said:

DLC is the best but spendy. I currently have a set of cally MB's getting this done and will share pics when I get them back...
Isnt that what pxg uses in their darkness lines? Where did you get it done?
PXG 0811X 7,5° Veylix Rome 888 X
PXG 0341X 3W 13.5° Veylix Rome 888 X
TaylorMade P790 2i UDI Veylix Rome 988 X
TaylorMade P770 4-7 KBS $-taper black 130x-stiff
TaylorMade P750 8-PW KBS $-taper black 130x-stiff
Titleist SM7 Jet black 50-12F KBS Tour custom white x-stiff
Titleist SM7 Jet black 56-10M KBS Tour custom white stiff
Titleist SM7 Jet black 62-06L KBS Tour custom white stiff
Odyssey Lucky 777 SB

14

#15 OzicKallstrom

OzicKallstrom

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 451584
  • Joined: 01/13/2017
  • Location:United KIngdom
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 15 November 2017 - 03:37 PM

I wouldn't get it done on irons in fairness. I had a set of cleveland wedges done in black ceratoke (not the grooves) as I had the wedges for 8 years or so and didn't want to change them really at the time. It wears on the sole of the club fairly quickly, especially if you hit anything out of a bunker. They looked amazing when i first had them done though.

Posted Image

DRIVER - CALLAWAY XR - 9 DEGREE - ACCRA TOUR Z X475 M5 X
2 IRON - PING RAPTURE - 18 DEGREE - ALDILA RIP ALPHA X

IRONS - MIZUNO MP33 (3-PW) - DYNAMIC GOLD S300
WEDGES - TITLEIST VOKEY SM6 - 50 F, 54 M, 58 K - DYNAMIC GOLD S200
PUTTER - WILSON 8802

15

#16 ddetts

ddetts

    Ty Webb

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 63197
  • Joined: 08/13/2008
  • Location:Sioux Falls, SD
  • Handicap:8.0
GolfWRX Likes : 347

Posted 15 November 2017 - 03:55 PM

View Posthalliedog, on 14 November 2017 - 09:19 PM, said:

View PostEHolm, on 14 November 2017 - 10:55 AM, said:

View Posthalliedog, on 14 November 2017 - 07:46 AM, said:

OP, Google Black Nitride.  Best I've ever seen/used, other than the "black" chrome a few companies used a few years back.  Black Nitride is actually more wear resistant than chrome, and doesn't effect the "feel" of the steel.  I have a set of TM RAC TP Combos that I got re-done with this and they are awesome looking/feeling.  It does get a bit "silvery" on the soles/faces, but doesn't chip or wear completely off.
Are there different kinds of this? So far people seem to think it makes the clubs harder and thats a no go for me

I sent an extra wedge that I had had Black Nitrided to a fellow member here who works in "metallugy" and he did hardness tests on it and an identical chromed head, and found no major difference in "hardness".  I personally don't notice any difference in feel before/after.

Tiger Nick does do excellent work from what I've seen of his eBay auctions for "Black Chrome", but once again, it's chrome and will eventually wear   The beauty of Black Nitride is it doesn't wear that much, as it actually penetrates the first microns of the surface of the metal (can't remember exact amount) so it is not a "plated" finish that is adhered to the surface, but actually penetrates the surface and is molecularly bound.  Plus, at least for me, Nitride was MUCH cheaper than Black chrome.

Good luck with whatever you decide, and be sure to post pics when done!  I love the look of the Black Chrome better, but when you factor in the cost and durability it was a no-brainer for me, and I couldn't be happier with the results:

Just happened to catch on a couple of listings on Tiger Nick's facebook page today that have black nitride finish. Not sure how long he's been offering that finish, but looks nice:  https://www.ebay.com...O-/232557602505

Looks like he also has what is called a 'gold nitride' finish that I actually quite like too:  https://www.ebay.com...0-/332445331250
-----> See my current WITB
Nike Vapor Pro, Project X Black 6.0
TaylorMade '17 M2 Tour 15*, Kuro Kage Silver Dual-Core TiNi
Callaway X Utility Prototype 18*, KBS Tour 120
Mizuno MP-54 3-4 | MP 15 5-PW, C-Taper Lite S
Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
Odyssey White Hot XG #7

Posted Image  Posted Image

16

#17 JCAG

JCAG

    John Curry

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21371
  • Joined: 11/04/2006
  • Location:Lexington, SC
GolfWRX Likes : 260

Posted 15 November 2017 - 07:26 PM

Google Black Ice Golf.

17

#18 95124hacker

95124hacker

    Rare putter collection

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 356977
  • Joined: 01/07/2015
  • Location:San Jose
GolfWRX Likes : 494

Posted 16 November 2017 - 06:26 PM

I actually bought 2 sets of black chromed forged irons from Tiger Nick (Bístone J36CB & Mizzy MP-37). Have been playing the J36 off & on for about 1.5 years now and while the feel is a tad different than std chrome, thereís no difference in performance that I can tell (spin etc). And durability is very good for an after market coating.

Edited by 95124hacker, 16 November 2017 - 06:27 PM.

Competition bag:
Callaway Fusion 9*, Tensei CK Blue (non Pro) 70S
Cobra King LTD 3-4 FW, UST Elements Chrome 7F4
Cobra King F7 2-3 hybrid
Srixon Z545 Black (Japan model) 4-AW, Design Tuning NS Pro 980GH
Cleveland RTX-3 V-MG 54* & 58*
Odyssey Lucky 777 CS
Ball: still experimenting...

18

#19 EHolm

EHolm

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 446786
  • Joined: 11/18/2016
  • Location:Sweden
GolfWRX Likes : 98

Posted 19 November 2017 - 02:33 PM

View Post95124hacker, on 16 November 2017 - 06:26 PM, said:

I actually bought 2 sets of black chromed forged irons from Tiger Nick (B'stone J36CB & Mizzy MP-37). Have been playing the J36 off & on for about 1.5 years now and while the feel is a tad different than std chrome, there's no difference in performance that I can tell (spin etc). And durability is very good for an after market coating.
Sounds great! Care to post some pics?
PXG 0811X 7,5° Veylix Rome 888 X
PXG 0341X 3W 13.5° Veylix Rome 888 X
TaylorMade P790 2i UDI Veylix Rome 988 X
TaylorMade P770 4-7 KBS $-taper black 130x-stiff
TaylorMade P750 8-PW KBS $-taper black 130x-stiff
Titleist SM7 Jet black 50-12F KBS Tour custom white x-stiff
Titleist SM7 Jet black 56-10M KBS Tour custom white stiff
Titleist SM7 Jet black 62-06L KBS Tour custom white stiff
Odyssey Lucky 777 SB

19

#20 95124hacker

95124hacker

    Rare putter collection

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 356977
  • Joined: 01/07/2015
  • Location:San Jose
GolfWRX Likes : 494

Posted 24 November 2017 - 11:28 AM

View PostEHolm, on 19 November 2017 - 02:33 PM, said:

View Post95124hacker, on 16 November 2017 - 06:26 PM, said:

I actually bought 2 sets of black chromed forged irons from Tiger Nick (B'stone J36CB & Mizzy MP-37). Have been playing the J36 off & on for about 1.5 years now and while the feel is a tad different than std chrome, there's no difference in performance that I can tell (spin etc). And durability is very good for an after market coating.
Sounds great! Care to post some pics?

Here you go.

Virgin MP-37's:
MP37 TigerNick.jpeg


J36 PC/CB combo (after ~15-20 rounds):
IMG_2650.JPG
IMG_2652.JPG
IMG_2653.JPG

Competition bag:
Callaway Fusion 9*, Tensei CK Blue (non Pro) 70S
Cobra King LTD 3-4 FW, UST Elements Chrome 7F4
Cobra King F7 2-3 hybrid
Srixon Z545 Black (Japan model) 4-AW, Design Tuning NS Pro 980GH
Cleveland RTX-3 V-MG 54* & 58*
Odyssey Lucky 777 CS
Ball: still experimenting...

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors