Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

If you could stop time...

70 replies to this topic

#1 Hubijerk

Hubijerk

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 305901
  • Handicap:0
  • Ebay ID:hubijerk2p7b
GolfWRX Likes : 163

Posted 13 November 2017 - 01:16 AM

Where would you stop the equipment progression in golf?

I'm torn on this because personally I would like to go back to pre 99 with the old wound balls like the professional and mostly forged blades and pre titanium woods... But for practicality I think 2006 would be the perfect time to stop the clock.

At this point were a few generations deep with the Pro-V1, the 905 series drivers are out and they were great and we were a few seasons into the vokey wedge line. We were the beginning of the 460cc drivers and TM had the Superquad.

Irons were simpler and not super hot.  The balls were more durable and stayed round but still spun a lot.
Distance gains were there, but  carbon hadn't made it to golf clubs yet (well, maybe yonex).  No groove rule to worry about and there was so much cool stuff to play with from the past few years like Mizuno's blue rage and T-Zoid clubs to Nike's stuff, and Macgregor was still in business.

Yeah, I think if I had the magic stop watch of destiny I'd stop the clock in 2006.

My bag would consist of Mizuno Mp-33's, Vokey wedges, a Titleist 905 driver and a 975f strong 3 wood and 5 wood, a TeI3 Newport and the Pro V1x.

What about you guys?

You can't sneak the cheese by a rat

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 KYMAR

KYMAR

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,851 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99014
GolfWRX Likes : 13986

Posted 13 November 2017 - 03:19 AM

You no like ultra modern equipment, then I say, F%&! you Jobu
:pimp:

I don't know man. I guess I'm just not nostalgic enough to give a committed answer here. I mean i could certainly play with a 905R and some RAC mb's and some 588 rtg gunmetals if I had to. But i like the new stuff. New stuff is shiny.
Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
Hybrid undecided   
Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0   
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60   
White Hot 6 Long Neck

#3 elwhippy

elwhippy

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3536
GolfWRX Likes : 457

Posted 13 November 2017 - 03:47 AM

No can do. Does that mean you will drive and uneconomical, unsafe car, have no laptop or cell-phone and be happy to sweat your clems off in cotton pants and shirts? If something doesn't progress it usually becomes extinct.

#4 Hubijerk

Hubijerk

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2017 - 04:10 AM

View Postelwhippy, on 13 November 2017 - 03:47 AM, said:

No can do. Does that mean you will drive and uneconomical, unsafe car, have no laptop or cell-phone and be happy to sweat your clems off in cotton pants and shirts? If something doesn't progress it usually becomes extinct.

... I actually just got back from picking up some in and out... I'm wearing cotton sweatshorts, a cotton shirt.... and I drove my '72 roadrunner which has been collecting some dust and needed some love... does that answer you're question?

Anyway, I think our current state of golf is where it is because equipment companies have been handed the keys to the game.  I personally think equipment has become too much the focus.  I mean I stay on top of it all, but honestly I think I could shoot the same scores with the '06 bag, though none of the irons would be legal by todays rules...  Another mistake I think too.  I would have liked to see golf do something like baseball did when they limited bats to wooden ones only.  I know non pro baseball uses metal however that was more for practicality and cost I think and it turned out to be an arms race with companies creating pressurized barrels connected to handles by elastomer etc. that cost hundreds of dollars.. I don't think that was the intent.

What if, instead of trying to regulate ball speed, and head size, golf made a rule that all club heads had to be made of steel or wood etc..  This would eliminate the ability to move mass so excessively and would self limit head size, and ct, etc..

#5 Wriggles

Wriggles

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,892 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 212649
GolfWRX Likes : 3945

Posted 13 November 2017 - 06:28 AM

I'm been a "living in the past kind of guy" all my 65 years.  I've liked everything old, from golf clubs, cars, clothing styles, etc.  Unfortunately, the past is past, and will never return.

As far as golf equipment goes, with all the innovations and advances, most golfers just don't see much improvement in their games.  It's just buy new stuff, looking for the Holy Grail of golf equipment.

If golfers want the latest and greatest, I have no objections.  It's their money.

#6 Itsjustagame

Itsjustagame

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,060 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 243277
  • Handicap:8
GolfWRX Likes : 612

Posted 13 November 2017 - 07:06 AM

If I could stop time I would put it to better use than my golf equipment.
BBA 815 10.5 Rogue Max
XR 5 wood
XR 3/4/5 Hybrid
Steelhead XR Pro 5-GW UST Mamiya Recoil 95/110
Mack Daddy 2 50,54,58
Taylor Made Spider Tour Platinum

#7 golfandfishing

golfandfishing

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,977 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 381948
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 3222

Posted 13 November 2017 - 08:07 AM

Pre adjustable driver, mainly because I donít own one and donít understand them and wonít go to the range to hit balls to figure out what setting would work for me. Also because people who hit slices or snap hooks still hit them no matter what they have done with their fancy screwdriver.

#8 LazyLightning22

LazyLightning22

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 473468
  • Handicap:5.6
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 13 November 2017 - 08:41 AM

View Postgolfandfishing, on 13 November 2017 - 08:07 AM, said:

Pre adjustable driver, mainly because I don't own one and don't understand them and won't go to the range to hit balls to figure out what setting would work for me. Also because people who hit slices or snap hooks still hit them no matter what they have done with their fancy screwdriver.

I agree with this. I would stop right before the introduction of all the adjustable drivers. I don't think the adjustments make a world of difference. I feel like it's a way for companies to jack up the prices.
Taylormade Aeroburner 9.5*- Diamana D+ LTD 70s
Titleist 909 F3 13.5*- Diamana Blue Board S
Titleist 909H 21*- Aldila Voodoo S
Mizuno MP 33 4-PW- DG S300
Vokey Spin Milled 50* 54* 58*
Cameron Newport 1.5

#9 cgasucks

cgasucks

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,514 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16512
GolfWRX Likes : 665

Posted 13 November 2017 - 08:42 AM

Me personally 2003.  The 983K was one of the hottest drivers at that time and TM just started to release its TP line.  In those days, the TP meant not only an upgraded shaft, but TM claimed that the heads were made slightly differently as well.  So those heads sold at that time were made exactly the same as the ones in the tour van (I think).  The r510 TP was one of the first with that designation and still revered as a great club.  

Also, it was a great year for me personally and professionally as well :taunt:.

Edited by cgasucks, 13 November 2017 - 08:43 AM.

9.5 deg Taylormade R7 Superquad (All Black First Edition) with stock Fujikura Reax TP shaft
1988 Tommy Armour 845s (3-PW, W3 (GW), SW) with stock TT Tour Step shafts
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts
Ping Anser 2 Stainless Steel Putter

#10 mcs4

mcs4

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 430806
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 110

Posted 13 November 2017 - 08:57 AM

I honestly don't care. Equipment could be rolled back to where it was when I was a kid, stopped now, or allowed to continue more or less the way it is. There are enough challenges, frustrations, and joys in the game regardless of the equipment, particularly since the courses get modified over time to negate the progress in equipment anyway.

However, for purposes of playing along, I'll say that I'd stick things back to the 975D's heyday so Tiger and I can recover the driving advantage we lost in the switch to larger heads

SLDR 430
Cobra AMP 4w
Mizuno MP-H4 3, 4 (sometimes comes out in favor of Bertha Mini Driver)
Titleist 716 CB 5-PW
Titleist 716 AP2 GW
Cleveland Tour Action 54, 58
TaylorMade Itsy Bitsy Red or old Titleist/Acushnet Bullseye

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 pinestreetgolf

pinestreetgolf

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,750 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 435010
  • Handicap:3
  • Ebay ID:butlerj_dickinson
GolfWRX Likes : 777

Posted 13 November 2017 - 09:18 AM

View PostHubijerk, on 13 November 2017 - 04:10 AM, said:

... I actually just got back from picking up some in and out... I'm wearing cotton sweatshorts, a cotton shirt.... and I drove my '72 roadrunner which has been collecting some dust and needed some love... does that answer you're question?

Anyway, I think our current state of golf is where it is because equipment companies have been handed the keys to the game.  I personally think equipment has become too much the focus.  I mean I stay on top of it all, but honestly I think I could shoot the same scores with the '06 bag, though none of the irons would be legal by todays rules...  Another mistake I think too.  I would have liked to see golf do something like baseball did when they limited bats to wooden ones only.  I know non pro baseball uses metal however that was more for practicality and cost I think and it turned out to be an arms race with companies creating pressurized barrels connected to handles by elastomer etc. that cost hundreds of dollars.. I don't think that was the intent.

What if, instead of trying to regulate ball speed, and head size, golf made a rule that all club heads had to be made of steel or wood etc..  This would eliminate the ability to move mass so excessively and would self limit head size, and ct, etc..

*quickly checks to see if this was posted from inside a mental asylum*

I don't understand your post, for two reasons.

1. You are complaining that "equipment has become the focus" on what is literally the equipment section of an equipment message board.  "I went through this door with sign that says post office and suddenly realized society is obsessed with letters and parcels"

2. You said "you would shoot the same scores now as you would in 2006", so you don't need a time-stopping device.  Just play a 905D and whatever else now.  If its the same (as you say), what's stopping you?  Winning a $22 ebay auction seems a lot easier than inventing a time machine.

I'd go back to about 2007-ish, when those damn kids first started skate-board-skating on my sidewalk!!!!

Edited by pinestreetgolf, 13 November 2017 - 09:20 AM.

Kuro Kage Blue 60 X:
M2 10*
XR 15*, XR 19*

s300:
Burner Rescue 22*, 25*
a4 Forged 5-PW (1* weak, 3* up, -1.25")
Engage 52*, 58* (4* up)

Fitted Edel

#12 dbleag

dbleag

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,612 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11778
GolfWRX Likes : 850

Posted 13 November 2017 - 09:26 AM

Without technology advances, many players would have been eliminated from the game by now.  

For me, I am able to stave off Father Time for possibly another decade.

Additionally, technology has not only helped the "aging", but the "skill-challenged" people.

#13 Nard_S

Nard_S

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 335269
  • Handicap:9
GolfWRX Likes : 1287

Posted 13 November 2017 - 09:38 AM

Around 2000 give or take.

Play traditional clubs from 1987 to 2008, 3-pw, 1 SW, 8802 style putter and 3 metals. R510 is my favorite driver and still use  King Cobra all steel fairways but do employ modern (MP 650) #3 now & again.

Use 3 piece wound and Pro Vx1 (closest ball  found that behaves like late generation wound). Real happy with the setup but do not rule out upgrading metals at any given time.

#14 jslane57

jslane57

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 426950
  • Handicap:<5
GolfWRX Likes : 2037

Posted 13 November 2017 - 10:01 AM

I'd go back one decade earlier. To the Pittsburgh Persimmon. The S2H2 Callaway. Just before titanium became the rage. Before the 60* was standard. I wouldn't want to go back to the tour ballata, but I'd limit balls to three pieces, and have them be just a little less hot. And have stopped Ping Eye 2 grooves earlier. Of course, there are other things I would have liked to seen different as well. No anchoring/long putters from back then. Putters without inserts. Thanks for the platform to whine:)
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts" -Einstein

#15 NoTalentLefty

NoTalentLefty

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,583 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 204451
GolfWRX Likes : 1075

Posted 13 November 2017 - 10:03 AM

No love for balata age... Any improvements that are within the rules is fine with this older man.

Livin' proof that Lefties are not naturally talented.

#16 Nard_S

Nard_S

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 335269
  • Handicap:9
GolfWRX Likes : 1287

Posted 13 November 2017 - 10:27 AM

To me the real progress in the last years has been in the fitting of clubs to players. better diagnostics and more shaft choices has been a true improvement from days of yore.

#17 RSinSG

RSinSG

What, Me Worry?

• 2,211 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 300931
  • Handicap:7
  • Ebay ID:RSinPS
GolfWRX Likes : 1494

Posted 13 November 2017 - 10:53 AM

I wouldn’t go back even 6 months. I’m driving the ball the best in my life with my G400. As I get older I need all the help I can get.
Ping G400 Tour AD DI6s
Ping G30 3 wood
Ben Hogan VTKR 17* and 21* hybrid
Ping G30 Irons 5-SW
Ping Glide 58* LW
Scotty Cameron Studio Blade (or) Scotty Cameron Fastback
Gamegolf
https://www.ledges.com/ Home course

#18 gioguy21

gioguy21

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,240 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 244071
  • Handicap:+0.8
GolfWRX Likes : 2545

Posted 13 November 2017 - 10:57 AM

If I could find a way
I'd take back those words that hurt you
And you'd stay
If I could reach the stars
I'd give 'em all to you

... wait. you said 'stop'

Edited by gioguy21, 13 November 2017 - 10:58 AM.

G400 9* / Synergy PROTO 65TX

2017 M2 Tour 3HL / HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.0 Tipped 3/4"

BioCell+ 5W / Project X 8A4

Custom TM Blades ('14 TP MBs) 4-PW /  Modus 105X

MD Forged 52 (10), 58 (8)  /  DG TI S200

SC Adam Scott Modded Chromatic Bronze Futura 6M / 35.5"

TP5x OR ProV1

#19 chisag

chisag

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,920 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1163
  • Handicap:+0.7
GolfWRX Likes : 526

Posted 13 November 2017 - 11:00 AM

... I would not want to stop the clock on equipment advances themselves BUT I would love to go back to a 4 year cycle of new clubs releases. Resale was so much better, OEM's truly had tech advances with each new release not just cosmetic updates or minor tweaks, and the buzz looking forward to the newest clubs was off the charts. Never gonna happen of course, but it would be nice.
10.5* Epic Rogue Black Tour 110  60s
19* Adams LS hybrid Kuro Kage 85Hys
19.5* Cobra King Utility Rogue Black 85Hys
21.5* RBZ Tour Altus 85HYs
4/5 TM UDi Recoil Prototype 95s
6-pw Cobra King Forged Tour Recoil Prototype 95s
52* SM6 F Grind Recoil 110s
58* SM6 M Grind Recoil 110s
33.5" Bobby Grace 6330

#20 Davidv

Davidv

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 399538
  • Handicap:13
  • Ebay ID:dvilinnew
GolfWRX Likes : 58

Posted 13 November 2017 - 11:11 AM

Why stop now, the past is gone and the future for golf equipment just keeps on getting better.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 DFS PFD

DFS PFD

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 485676
  • Handicap:0.8
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 13 November 2017 - 11:21 AM

You do realize no one is forcing you to play modern equipment? Perhaps a persimmons driver and cotton shorts in the vegas summer would be a perfect match. If I ever notice someone with that combo on Southern Highlands I'll tip my cap to you for being a blast from the (non progressive)- past!
M1 440 w/ HZRDUS T1100 6.5 75g (SYNERGY PROTO 75 TX on the way)
M2 Tour 15 * w/ KK DC TX
Black Scott SG-03 3-PW w/ PX 7.0 (alternate PXG 0311T w/ KBS C-Taper 130X)
Vokey Raw 55* 60* PX LZ 6.5
PM Grind 64* PX LZ 6.0
Scotty Custom Shop Circa 62 No. 6

#22 DavePelz4

DavePelz4

Legend

• 20,635 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 69051
  • Handicap:10.0
GolfWRX Likes : 19492

Posted 13 November 2017 - 11:28 AM

What's to stop you from playing clubs/balls from the time you want?

#23 Hubijerk

Hubijerk

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2017 - 12:50 PM

View Postpinestreetgolf, on 13 November 2017 - 09:18 AM, said:

1. You are complaining that "equipment has become the focus" on what is literally the equipment section of an equipment message board.  "I went through this door with sign that says post office and suddenly realized society is obsessed with letters and parcels"

2. You said "you would shoot the same scores now as you would in 2006", so you don't need a time-stopping device.  Just play a 905D and whatever else now.  If its the same (as you say), what's stopping you?  Winning a $22 ebay auction seems a lot easier than inventing a time machine.

I'd go back to about 2007-ish, when those damn kids first started skate-board-skating on my sidewalk!!!!

I'm not complaining, and I thought I posted this in General.. It may have been moved...Or I may have posted here by mistake, but it does involve equipment so..

As far as my thoughts are concerned I think the game, and equipment was at balance in the mid 2000's.  You had the practicality and durability of metalwoods but it was before it became a an equipment free for all with the big name big dollar companies putting smaller guys out of business with huge R&D budgets.

As far as why can't I play those clubs now, it's because the game legislated them out of my hands (I play competitively), and I would be giving up too much to the guys playing new stuff, the woods and hybrids anyway.  It is a very different game today and if I want to compete I am forced to change with it.

This wasn't meant to be an argumentative post by any means, just curious to hear opinions from others discussing this in the spirit it was intended, which to clarify, is not intense and or super serious...

#24 chisag

chisag

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,920 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2017 - 12:54 PM

... This is WRX. Every post is argumentative. :dntknw:  I thought it was an interesting topic, hypothetical and certainly not a complaint about modern equipment.
33.5" Bobby Grace 6330

#25 Hubijerk

Hubijerk

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2017 - 12:54 PM

View PostDFS PFD, on 13 November 2017 - 11:21 AM, said:

You do realize no one is forcing you to play modern equipment? Perhaps a persimmons driver and cotton shorts in the vegas summer would be a perfect match. If I ever notice someone with that combo on Southern Highlands I'll tip my cap to you for being a blast from the (non progressive)- past!

I can't afford Southern Highlands, so the odds of you seeing me out there are slim in general ;)

#26 SubaruWRX

SubaruWRX

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,815 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 40485
GolfWRX Likes : 967

Posted 13 November 2017 - 01:20 PM

Iíd stop the clock when I was 23. Super healthy and stronger than I am now. I could play with any equipment, and itís not like everyone else could play anything better than what I could get my hands on. So with equipment not giving anyone an advantage, Iíll take my younger self and hit the course!

#27 jslane57

jslane57

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 426950
  • Handicap:<5
GolfWRX Likes : 2037

Posted 13 November 2017 - 01:39 PM

View Postchisag, on 13 November 2017 - 12:54 PM, said:

... This is WRX. Every post is argumentative. :dntknw:  I thought it was an interesting topic, hypothetical and certainly not a complaint about modern equipment.
I agree. It is interesting. I'm not going to use 20 year old equipment when competing against folks with modern equipment, that would just be silly. Doesn't mean that I don't think the game showcased true talent better back then it does today.
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts" -Einstein

#28 pinestreetgolf

pinestreetgolf

Major Winner

• 1,750 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 435010
  • Handicap:3
  • Ebay ID:butlerj_dickinson
GolfWRX Likes : 777

Posted 13 November 2017 - 01:58 PM

View PostHubijerk, on 13 November 2017 - 12:50 PM, said:

View Postpinestreetgolf, on 13 November 2017 - 09:18 AM, said:

I'm not complaining, and I thought I posted this in General.. It may have been moved...Or I may have posted here by mistake, but it does involve equipment so..

As far as my thoughts are concerned I think the game, and equipment was at balance in the mid 2000's.  You had the practicality and durability of metalwoods but it was before it became a an equipment free for all with the big name big dollar companies putting smaller guys out of business with huge R&D budgets.

As far as why can't I play those clubs now, it's because the game legislated them out of my hands (I play competitively), and I would be giving up too much to the guys playing new stuff, the woods and hybrids anyway.  It is a very different game today and if I want to compete I am forced to change with it.

This wasn't meant to be an argumentative post by any means, just curious to hear opinions from others discussing this in the spirit it was intended, which to clarify, is not intense and or super serious...

I get the groove issues.  I had to give up my red saws.  But I don't get it when you say you'd be "just as good" but then say you are forced to change to compete.  That seems incongruous to me.

In the TPC La championship flight my playing partner used a 905D.  I used a MP-600.  Not ancient, but we placed 2 and 3.  Number 1 used an epic and number 4 used a M2.  In terms of irons, I game 2008 cavity backs.  I demo'd the CF16s, but I value predictability above all else, and the a4 forged are perfect blend of forgiveness and consistent distance IMO.  The guy who won (who had an epic) was playing with some sort of AP1s (710 I think) that were old.  I don't agree with the statement that you have to go modern to compete.  The better the player, especially using gross scores in the championship flights, the less the new technology matters.

I just don't like blanket discussions about technology in golf clubs.  Newer players are massively advantaged by the new technology because its almost all about foregiveness (Assuming you are fit well).  I saw virtually zero different in CF16s and a4s besides some height and unpredictability, but I am willing to bet (without sounding like a jackass) that a 20 cap wouldn't feel the same way.  So I just "worry" that newer players read these "old equipment is just as good threads" and think it applies to them, which it doesn't.  Most of the time older equipment is better is because of a pre-existing relationship and predictability.

I would argue the reverse is true.  The modern technology showcases "true talent" much better than the old.  Somebody is always going to drive it further - Jack was longer than the field, relatively speaking, than anyone is now.  Modern technology helps people play golf swing better.  True talent is playing golf. Golf is a mental game, not a physical one, and the new technology allows those with less-than-optimal swings to compete.

Edited by pinestreetgolf, 13 November 2017 - 02:00 PM.

Kuro Kage Blue 60 X:
M2 10*
XR 15*, XR 19*

s300:
Burner Rescue 22*, 25*
a4 Forged 5-PW (1* weak, 3* up, -1.25")
Engage 52*, 58* (4* up)

Fitted Edel

#29 Kingcat990

Kingcat990

European Tailored Golf Socks

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,985 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 291815
GolfWRX Likes : 1954

Posted 13 November 2017 - 02:46 PM

I wouldn't. At all. Graphite shafts have only gotten better, blades have only gotten prettier, and we would have all missed Bob Parsons starting a golf company and calling that equipment the best shįt in the world.

Let the progression continue.
Wyoming Cowboys

#30 chisag

chisag

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,920 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2017 - 03:09 PM

"I would argue the reverse is true.  The modern technology showcases "true talent" much better than the old.  Somebody is always going to drive it further - Jack was longer than the field, relatively speaking, than anyone is now.  Modern technology helps people play golf swing better.  True talent is playing golf. Golf is a mental game, not a physical one, and the new technology allows those with less-than-optimal swings to compete."

... How old are you? (I wish everyone put that in their profile) Golf is a mental AND physical game. Show me the strongest willed but completely non athletic guy in the world and I doubt he would play well in 1971. I ask how old you are because if you played with balata balls, persimmon drivers and small MB's you would know how much harder it was to control the ball. Virtually nobody played a straight ball flight because it didn't exist. Blade a TP5x and it gets in the air and runs a good ways, but blade a HT-100 and if it didn't cut completely showing rubber bands, the cover was cut and not only didn't go very far but curved tremendously. And it's not like there was no mental aspect to the game back then, it was as much or arguably more important because the ball had so much movement with a poor swing. Skill was at a premium and those that could control their ball flight AND hit it far had a huge advantage.

... I do not compare players then to players now because either group would change their game to match the equipment if they have real talent. But golf was not played by the masses back then because it was just so dammed difficult, as opposed to today when anyone can pick up a 460cc forgiving driver and have at least some success as well as hitting SGI irons compared to some Wilson FG-17's that gave you no help getting the ball in the air.

33.5" Bobby Grace 6330

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors