Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* - - - - 1 votes

Courses closed but cannot bother to notify Golfnow

45 replies to this topic

#31 bladehunter

bladehunter

Cubs win ! Cubs win!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,451 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 291449
  • Handicap:NONE
GolfWRX Likes : 11718

Posted 14 November 2017 - 11:42 AM

View Postbamaslammer, on 14 November 2017 - 11:25 AM, said:

View Postbladehunter, on 14 November 2017 - 09:14 AM, said:

View Postbamaslammer, on 13 November 2017 - 10:23 PM, said:

View Postwkuo3, on 12 November 2017 - 12:09 PM, said:

The feeling I received throughout the years from using GolfNow booking is this....... The Staff of the golf courses ( managing pro or cashier ) did not receive the users of GolfNow very well.  Sometimes we got the feeling of being the beggar dealing with the Butler of a charity house.
^^^this^^^
EVERY time we play the hot deals, the guy goes out of his way to say they don't make any money off it. And we play there all the time without booking through gn.

well..... isnt it true ?    kind of like the people who dont tip  ( hint - a dollar isnt a tip)  at restaurants and complain about the service.... saying " we're regulars and they treat us this way"!    yep... regular______s....

im not trying to insult.... but you have to flip the coin around somtimes and see the other side....  if you feel good about using golf now for a place you  frequent then thats your deal...  I personally would not.... Maybe on a trip where i were staying and spending money on the lodging food etc... But never on a $39 tee time to save $10... Im not wealthy either.. But i find you get that $10 back x10 if you arent lumped into the wrong bucket by the staff...

edit---   totally depends on the numbers too...if your course saw a numbers drop and decided it was because they didnt use golf now ...started using gof now and saw the numbers return to a historically accurate number for that course....that is Golf now taking some of your market....

If your course simply started using golf now and saw a revenue increase due to more booked tee times. then i see the positive for the course....

I just doubt that golf now is creating new business.... I feel like they just grabbed a piece of the existing pie... and alot fo courses feel this way.. and they dont feel this way based on nothing.. has to be some fact out there to have it be such a wide spread opinion...   I also feel like its a trap whos door has shut... to opt out may well cause courses to loose their current standing in the market... because of the greed of the consumer... just food for thought next time you hear someone talking about "growing the game".....  taking some hands out of the till couldnt hurt..
Tipping and a coupon are not the same

True.  Not 100%.  But they both have roots in being a good customer who thinks about how they are looked at as a customer .  

I'm not meaning to attack you personally. Just trying to present the other side of the coin for the argument.

I don't think golfnow coupons are meant as customer appreciation tokens. But to attract new customers that might not otherwise try a place.  I talking about the guys who schedule their every week skins game around the coupon and come in to drink the free coffee and shag some range balls off the side of the practice tee for free. That's my experience with the coupon crowd.  

The guys claiming they feel like second class citizens when using the deals need to pay attention  to their spending habits at the club , etc.  
if you are regular at a course.  Never buy your clubs , balls gloves there etc and are using coupons. Well you are a second class customer.  That's the reality nobody wants to hear.  

17 M2  V2 Tour 10.5  Fuji Atmos Black 6X   Green Graphic special edition
17 M1 15  Graphite Design   ADDI 8X
Titleist TMB 2 Graphite Design 105X prototype
Vega VDC-01 Raw Handground 4-pw Modus 130X
Vega VW-02 Raw 52 56 60 S400
009 GSS 1.5  , Beached, tungsten sole weights

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#32 brew4eagle

brew4eagle

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 12175
  • Handicap:9
  • Ebay ID:jdbrewer
GolfWRX Likes : 355

Posted 14 November 2017 - 12:10 PM

I wasn't aware of the negative aspects of GolfNow for a course.  Good to know.  I've used GN a lot for the convenience.  I remember not too long ago when you used to have to call the course for a tee time.  The majority of the time the person on the phone would take forever to find an available time and wouldn't know what the greens fee was for that tee time, etc.  Booking on Golf Now was a godsend for eliminating that hassle.  But I'll be thinking twice now, particularly for my frequent plays.  I also don't like GN as it has gotten me in the habit of walking a lot less since the cart is always included.
PING i20 10.5*
Titleist 975F 16.5*
Adams a7 19*
Nike VR Forged Pro Combo 3-P
Nike VR Forged 52*, 58*
Cameron Studio Select Newport

#33 bamaslammer

bamaslammer

RTR

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 265056
GolfWRX Likes : 26

Posted 14 November 2017 - 07:09 PM

View Postbladehunter, on 14 November 2017 - 11:42 AM, said:

The feeling I received throughout the years from using GolfNow booking is this....... The Staff of the golf courses ( managing pro or cashier ) did not receive the users of GolfNow very well.  Sometimes we got the feeling of being the beggar dealing with the Butler of a charity house.
^^^this^^^
EVERY time we play the hot deals, the guy goes out of his way to say they don't make any money off it. And we play there all the time without booking through gn.

well..... isnt it true ? kind of like the people who dont tip  ( hint - a dollar isnt a tip)  at restaurants and complain about the service.... saying " we're regulars and they treat us this way"! yep... regular______s....

im not trying to insult.... but you have to flip the coin around somtimes and see the other side....  if you feel good about using golf now for a place you  frequent then thats your deal...  I personally would not.... Maybe on a trip where i were staying and spending money on the lodging food etc... But never on a $39 tee time to save $10... Im not wealthy either.. But i find you get that $10 back x10 if you arent lumped into the wrong bucket by the staff...

edit---   totally depends on the numbers too...if your course saw a numbers drop and decided it was because they didnt use golf now ...started using gof now and saw the numbers return to a historically accurate number for that course....that is Golf now taking some of your market....

If your course simply started using golf now and saw a revenue increase due to more booked tee times. then i see the positive for the course....

I just doubt that golf now is creating new business.... I feel like they just grabbed a piece of the existing pie... and alot fo courses feel this way.. and they dont feel this way based on nothing.. has to be some fact out there to have it be such a wide spread opinion...   I also feel like its a trap whos door has shut... to opt out may well cause courses to loose their current standing in the market... because of the greed of the consumer... just food for thought next time you hear someone talking about "growing the game".....  taking some hands out of the till couldnt hurt..

True.  Not 100%.  But they both have roots in being a good customer who thinks about how they are looked at as a customer .  

I'm not meaning to attack you personally. Just trying to present the other side of the coin for the argument.

I don't think golfnow coupons are meant as customer appreciation tokens. But to attract new customers that might not otherwise try a place.  I talking about the guys who schedule their every week skins game around the coupon and come in to drink the free coffee and shag some range balls off the side of the practice tee for free. That's my experience with the coupon crowd.  

The guys claiming they feel like second class citizens when using the deals need to pay attention  to their spending habits at the club , etc.  
if you are regular at a course.  Never buy your clubs , balls gloves there etc and are using coupons. Well you are a second class customer.  That's the reality nobody wants to hear.  
Why would anyone be offended for being called a second class citizen? I apologize for us ragamuffins are taking up space in your perfect world.
ping g ls tour green x
stage 2 ts  kai li 80X
SLDR 5w Speeder ts 8.3X
TM rocketbladez tour kbs 130x
Ping glide
rife 2 bar hybrid cs

#34 CommerceTiger

CommerceTiger

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 257846
  • Handicap:4.2
GolfWRX Likes : 1122

Posted 14 November 2017 - 09:35 PM

View PostBrianL99, on 13 November 2017 - 06:33 PM, said:

You folks who are beating up on GolfNow, are way off base.

GolfNow is one of the best things that ever happened to the Public Golf course business.  

Locals have virtually eliminated their need to advertise, they have a booking source that does all the work for them and they get exposure, far beyond their usual marketing reach.

GolfNow's business model, is no different than the hotel industry and the airplane industry.  It's great for the consumer and great for businesses that understand their market.

In my opinion, anyone who's in the industry and sees GolfNow as bad for thier business, is an idiot and deserves to go out of business.

& to the poster that talked about the "other 18 hole course" being the same price and you weren't allowed on it ... were you talking about World Woods?  That seems to be their M.O. and quite honestly, their management hasn't been very good for many years, in my opinion. That's just one of the stupid things they do.

I'm an assistant pro and have attended 3 National Golf Course Owners Association conferences in the last 2 years. I have seen several high profile course owners and leaders of the industry speak (including Greg Norman) and EVERY single one of them has said GolfNow does not help the golf business. So glad to know that they are all idiots. I will now save my course a lot of money and be sure to book your next conference to hear more words of wisdom. What's the name of the course you own again?
Adams Fast 12LS w/ Motore Speeder TS
Taylormade RBZ Stage 2 5W HL 21*
TM RSI Tours w/ Nippon NS Pro 950
Cleveland RTX 588 52* and TM Tour Preferred 58*
Nike Method Matter B5
WITB Link

#35 VNutz

VNutz

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,571 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 116888
GolfWRX Likes : 2330

Posted 14 November 2017 - 10:32 PM

Just because something is good for the consumer and their wallet doesn’t mean it’s good for the long term health of the industry.

#36 BrianL99

BrianL99

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,128 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 156579
  • Handicap:IRL
GolfWRX Likes : 3225

Posted 15 November 2017 - 04:48 AM

View PostCommerceTiger, on 14 November 2017 - 09:35 PM, said:

I'm an assistant pro and have attended 3 National Golf Course Owners Association conferences in the last 2 years. I have seen several high profile course owners and leaders of the industry speak (including Greg Norman) and EVERY single one of them has said GolfNow does not help the golf business. So glad to know that they are all idiots. I will now save my course a lot of money and be sure to book your next conference to hear more words of wisdom. What's the name of the course you own again?

GolfNow booked over 17,000,000 rounds of golf last year.  They are the most successful golf booking platform in the world.

Any business that ignores the elephant in the room, does so at their own risk.

One of the biggest problems in the golf industry today, are the "golf people" who think they understand business and marketing, but are actually mired in a business mindset that generally hasn't been successful or relevant, for the last 20 years.

"Leaders in the Industry (including Greg Norman)", who think GolfNow is going away, are tilting at windmills and need to get a grip on today's golf environment.  They should pick up the phone and call the Presidents of the world's largest airlines and hotels, and ask them how it's worked out for them, when they thought they could ignore SABRE, TripAdvisor, Priceline, Kayak, Rooms.com and all the other centralized booking companies, that ate their lunch.

The PGA needs to get out from under the rock they've been living under for the last 30 years and realize that the golf industry has changed and it's no longer about making sure their constituency aren't wearing cargo pants.  "Golf" isn't in the golf business anymore, it's in the hospitality business and it's a digital world out there.   Some dope standing behind a counter, dressed like Judge Smails, making sure customers have their hat on "brim forward", isn't going to get the job done anymore.

... and while I'm at it, the PGA should have figured out by now, that they're not doing their members any favors, with their "indentured servant" Asst. PGA program.   Convincing otherwise intelligent people, to go to a "golf school" for 4 years, so they can get a $10/hour Asst. Pro job at a golf course, is disingenuous at best.  One need only look at the erosion in "Head Pro" positions and pay scales over the last 20 years.

Edited by BrianL99, 15 November 2017 - 05:04 AM.

#37 wkuo3

wkuo3

RELEASE

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,825 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20890
  • Handicap:11.2
GolfWRX Likes : 62

Posted 15 November 2017 - 09:03 AM

View Postbladehunter, on 13 November 2017 - 09:10 AM, said:

Been golfing over 4 decades and been using GolfNow since the inception of this business when they only had a handful of golf courses on the book.

I often wonders why, because the tee times were sold to the GolfNow not stolen from them.

Plus, Once I told a regional operational manager of some golf courses, that the spots on the tee sheet is a perishable commodity,  one can not bottle it and save it for tomorrow or next month.  When running a promotion owing to the weather forecast or local sporting events, give it as you meant it , not as a charity case to make the user feel bad about taking up the offering.

It's like walking in a restaurant and ask for the lunch special.  Will you come back to the restaurant if you were not treated as well as the rest of the customers ?  The lunch special was not forced upon the restaurant owners or the servers, so why show dismay when the empty tables were to be occupied by the bargain hunters ?

I went to a local 36 holes layout recently with GolfNow booking, one of the 18 was sanded recently  so we asked to switch to the second 18 ( which both 18 had available tee times on the GolfNow that day for the same price).  The golf courses were wide open, but we were denied to switch the golf course for equal value.  

From a business point, this makes no sense at all.  

If any business want to give a discount to move merchandise, do it as you meant it.  For the golf course managers, you could keep the tee times and see if you could sell them tomorrow.

Golfnow is part of the problem. Not the solution.  Want to grow the game ?  Stop helping leverage courses out of their earned profit.  

Think of it this way. You have joined a strong arm group that rivals the jimmy Hoffa teamster days.  They take and demand a cut from existing time slots.  And resell them  to you for within dollars of the same cost you can get that tee time straight from the course.  You afford the middle man a profit for literally organizing a union against the courses then ask " why don't they like me "?  Really ?  They are doing same work for less money that's why.  

You aren't playing more golf.  Your just playing cheaper.  Only way this is possible is to take profit away from a tee time.  Which is part of the problem for course closings and poor service.

Obviously, you had not grasp the point.
Jimmy Hoffa dealt with labor force.  A none perishable entity.  Tee time IS.
So are you thinking of letting the tee sheets be half empty and lose all of of the open tee time instead of getting some cash flow ?
If you run a business, you'll close the door , soon.

Tee time is not diamonds or precious metal, when it's gone it's gone and no one could bring them back.   Why do you think the golf courses have twilight rate ?  Why some give special discounts to seniors and super senior ?  

A golf course manager is to fill the tee sheet at the maximum number and profit as possible to keep it profitable in the high seasons and afloat in the slow seasons.  It's not as simple as "grow the game", it's a matter of survival just like any other independent businesses these days.

Believe me, if anyone think the tough time is over, think again in another year or two.   Survivor take the trophy.

#38 wkuo3

wkuo3

RELEASE

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,825 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20890
  • Handicap:11.2
GolfWRX Likes : 62

Posted 15 November 2017 - 09:12 AM

View Postbladehunter, on 14 November 2017 - 11:42 AM, said:

^^^this^^^

well..... isnt it true ? kind of like the people who dont tip  ( hint - a dollar isnt a tip)  at restaurants and complain about the service.... saying " we're regulars and they treat us this way"! yep... regular______s....

Anyone does not treat their customer / clients in a general manner on the same platform will fail.  Whether the customer brings more profit or less on a bargain ticket which the business volunteered in the first place.
If anyone use a "discount" for restaurant and gets bad service or different food than the full price menu, the business had defeat the original purpose of giving the discount and will go down the drain fast.  
It has nothing to do with tipping the service, as you had indicated.  Whenever using the discounted coupon or membership, one should always tip according to the full price on the menu.  You had never used one or never tip properly , obviously.

It does not come across that you have not had a lot of life experience or even worse, not the better experience .

Edited by wkuo3, 16 November 2017 - 08:33 AM.

#39 scrody17

scrody17

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100748
  • Ebay ID:scrody17
GolfWRX Likes : 24

Posted 15 November 2017 - 09:59 AM

Would be curious to know how many of the rounds out of the 17,000,000 were hot times vs non hot. Is that info anywhere?
Current Set Up:
Cobra Fly Z+ Driver Kuro Kage
Nike Vapor Speed 3 wood w/ Pro Launch Red
Nike Vapor Fly 5 wood w/ EPIC T90
Adams Idea Pro 23* VS Proto
Callaway X-forged 2013 4-PW PXi 5.5 hard stepped once
Titleist SM6 54*
Titleist SM6 60*
Odyssey RX 2 ball

#40 lsf_21

lsf_21

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 174678
GolfWRX Likes : 346

Posted 15 November 2017 - 11:20 AM

I find the Hot Deal bashing crowd in here humorous. My group of friends that we travel and play between the 4 of us have a handicap total of around 10. It's a solid group of 2nd class citizens and we use GN quite a bit through the summer and when we travel. I find courses I didn't know were in reasonable driving distance and play them with hot deals or just cheap rates that randomly get posted. If courses do not want to participate with GN they do not have to. I have also gone back to courses and not used hot deals because I played them on a deal and realized they were nice courses.

I am a member at a very busy public course that is pretty cheap (I am not a super wealthy person). The course is packed every weekend during the summer months. I have asked the owner about GN and he said they don't need it. They have been approached by GN and nobody forced them to sign up.

Why do people on here take up for courses being rude to people for using the services they offer? The COURSE chooses to partner with GN and offer these discount times.

If I book a deal time and the course is rude to me (luckily I have had great experiences with hot deals) I would ask why they are being so rude and also I would not go back. Not worth my time being treated that way.

Long story short. Quit bashing us "2nd class citizens" who use coupons and take advantage of deals that are offered by the course and the company they agreed to work with. Courses if it is sooo bad for business don't do it.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#41 BrianL99

BrianL99

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,128 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 156579
  • Handicap:IRL
GolfWRX Likes : 3225

Posted 15 November 2017 - 02:06 PM

View Postlsf_21, on 15 November 2017 - 11:20 AM, said:

I find the Hot Deal bashing crowd in here humorous. My group of friends that we travel and play between the 4 of us have a handicap total of around 10. It's a solid group of 2nd class citizens and we use GN quite a bit through the summer and when we travel. I find courses I didn't know were in reasonable driving distance and play them with hot deals or just cheap rates that randomly get posted. If courses do not want to participate with GN they do not have to. I have also gone back to courses and not used hot deals because I played them on a deal and realized they were nice courses.

I am a member at a very busy public course that is pretty cheap (I am not a super wealthy person). The course is packed every weekend during the summer months. I have asked the owner about GN and he said they don't need it. They have been approached by GN and nobody forced them to sign up.

Why do people on here take up for courses being rude to people for using the services they offer? The COURSE chooses to partner with GN and offer these discount times.

If I book a deal time and the course is rude to me (luckily I have had great experiences with hot deals) I would ask why they are being so rude and also I would not go back. Not worth my time being treated that way.

Long story short. Quit bashing us "2nd class citizens" who use coupons and take advantage of deals that are offered by the course and the company they agreed to work with. Courses if it is sooo bad for business don't do it.

You're exactly right.

There is only one reason for a course to use GolfNow ... it makes them more money than they'd make without them.

No one is forcing anyone to use it.  If GolfNow didn't benefit the courses that use it, they'd be out of business tomorrow.

Instead, they've been growing ever year.

Just as an aside to the GN discussion and particularly relevant to the poster who brought up Greg Norman ... the Nicklaus organization was one of the first companies to try a centralized Tee Time Booking, business model, back in the early 90's.  They failed miserably.

#42 jschwarb

jschwarb

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 157177
GolfWRX Likes : 138

Posted 15 November 2017 - 02:30 PM

Say what you will about the PGA Tour, but they never miss a chance to make a buck and now you see Teeoff.com at the top of their homepage. So their beancounters think there's a future in that business.

#43 nattybohknows

nattybohknows

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 413022
GolfWRX Likes : 106

Posted 15 November 2017 - 04:53 PM

Glad to see both extremes on the fence in this one.

Golfnow gave me the opportunity to try a few courses I hadn't before which I appreciated at the time. Not only due to hot deal but courses I didn't know about it.

I agree most places groan on hot deals when I used them but it didn't bother me. I understand the heartburn they got from it though.

GolfNow today for most courses I play is more expensive than the course website itself after the fees are in it. I don't see the value in using it locally and many of the courses no longer participate in my area. I don't think I've used them once this past year.

#44 ef131313

ef131313

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 311855
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 16 November 2017 - 11:11 AM

Larry you get my vote for post of the year

#45 jaycevs

jaycevs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 310563
  • Ebay ID:jaycevs
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted Yesterday, 12:09 AM

To the poster earlier who booked during an outing, there is no way that is GolfNow’s fault, all you have to do as the course is block out the tee times, then golfnow automatically moves the hot deal to the next closest time, which is why during the busier golf outing season you may notice the hot deal that’s always at 1 is now at 4.  If you notice that, you should probably call the course to confirm everything is cool otherwise you could waste time heading out there.  

Overall, courses willingly trade tee times to get times on the booking engine in live time.  When you compare to similar types of services in other industries, the course is getting something by trading a tee time that otherwise would cost them a lot of money.

#46 CStephenson17

CStephenson17

Advanced

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 258 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 309253
  • Handicap:+1
GolfWRX Likes : 147

Posted Yesterday, 11:07 AM

Moral of the story: There should be more due diligence on everybody's part. Courses should tell GolfNow about conditions, GolfNow should do regular checks with the courses, and those who book should always call and confirm because you can't always trust the other two.

The old saying, "If you want something done right, do it yourself." It takes three more minutes to call and ask necessary questions and saves disappointment later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors