Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* - - - - 1 votes

Courses closed but cannot bother to notify Golfnow

45 replies to this topic

#1 jaycevs

jaycevs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 310563
  • Ebay ID:jaycevs
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 11 November 2017 - 10:48 AM

Its a 30 degree day in NE Ohio, topping out at 37-38 in a few hours, but I still want to get out and hit some balls since I got a new driver and two new hybrids over the past two weeks.  I booked a tee time locally today, and knowing how courses are managed decided to follow up and call the course directly.  Of course someone answered after 10-15 rings, and said the course was closed and acted like I'm nuts for wanting to be outdoors in November.  I went through Golfnow and called a few other courses, same thing.  As someone that worked at a course for 3 seasons, I know all it takes is a 2 minute call to Golfnow by the course to pull the tee times, but many of these places lack the decency or concern about their customers to make that effort.  I know exactly how Golfnow works, and have called out a few course employees as these courses typically blame Golfnow for any issues, and I will tell them exactly what the policy is and how Golfnow operates.

It is unfair to Golfnow to have these courses trash their reputation, and it does hurt their business as anytime the weather is not 70 degrees and sunny it is necessary to call these places to confirm courses are open, even though the platform is incredibly easy to use.

For these courses, I always remember which ones care about their customers and which don't, and don't want to hear the complaints about lack of rounds and the decline of golf when these poorly managed places close down.  Maybe a lot people are tired of cranky retirees trying to operate cash registers and acting like they don't want your business...

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 caniac6

caniac6

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,620 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 222453
GolfWRX Likes : 1574

Posted 11 November 2017 - 11:02 AM

Is the course closed for the season, or just this cold snap that is only going to last a few days?

#3 MtlJeff

MtlJeff

#TheWRX (Callaway Trip)

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 19,380 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68568
  • Handicap:1.0
GolfWRX Likes : 19240

Posted 11 November 2017 - 11:40 AM

My course, which is private, twice this year closed without notifying its own members... So, yeah.. Stuff like this happens unfortunately
Ping G LS Tec 9.5 w/Tour Shaft 65
Callaway XR Pro 14 w/Diamana D+ 80
Callaway Steelhead XR 3 iron w/S300
Callaway Apex Pro 4-PW w/S300
Callaway MD Forged 52,56,60 w/S200
Odyssey Versa Works 1W Tank

#4 jaycevs

jaycevs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 310563
  • Ebay ID:jaycevs
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 11 November 2017 - 11:41 AM

None of these courses are closed for the season yet, typically mid-December for most of them.  The process of pulling times is the same as if there was significant rain or any other weather related closure, it really only takes a few minutes.  Some of these courses just do not care, I have showed up to an empty course before when I had a tee time, and all it takes is management or an employee calling Golfnow to say we are closed, and then Golfnow will call me to let me know.  

Overall, it is cold out, but dry.  These courses employees came in, saw a mostly empty tee sheet, and decided it wasn't worth staying open.  However, a few courses locally advertise always being open unless snow makes it unplayable, and there will be a packed lot in December/January as players know they can count on these places.

#5 ChxDigLongBall

ChxDigLongBall

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87810
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 11 November 2017 - 12:24 PM

Glad to hear that your experiences with Golfnow in the 3 seasons that you worked at a course were pleasant, but not everybody's are the same. Believe me,

Epic Sub Zero 9*- BiMatrix 80X- Lime Green
Epic Sub Zero 13.5*- Bimatrix 80X- Lime Green
XR Steelhead 3h- Project X 9B3 6.5
XR Steelhead Pro- 4-PW- DG TI X100
Mac Daddy Forged 50, 54, 60- DG TI Xi00
Odyssey O-Works V-Line Fang CH
Taylor Made TP5

#6 Larry The Golfing Doc

Larry The Golfing Doc

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 485040
  • Handicap:4.8
GolfWRX Likes : 45

Posted 11 November 2017 - 07:05 PM

I played a fantastic round of golf today in the same basic area. We call it "around the house" golf. We tee off by the junction box by the road, down the narrowest fairway known to man. You have a 5' wide path between the trees and have to hit it higher than 12' and lower than 20' to find the fairway. There's OB left, right is my house which would suck but not technically OB, and any drive over 150' is OB into the neighbors yard. You also have to be more than 120' to "cut the corner" and make it play as a par 5. We play it as a par 6. If you hit a perfect tee shot, there's still OB left and long (road) with our house right. Come to think about it, in Around The House golf, there is always house right. Again, not technically OB but it would really stink to hit it. Following a perfect 2nd, you have driveway to carry but you'll have to keep the ball low to not hit the overhanging branches. Failing to carry the driveway and landing on it will almost certainly see me your ball trickle through the end of the fairway OB into the road. The hole is finished once you hit the junction box. I've played this course a couple hundred times and have been close to eagle a few times but my best is birdie. Mainly because 5' behind the junction box is OB neighbors yard.

You really have to pick your shots in Around The House golf. It might be the only course in America that plays to its Par of 78 yet is only around 3,000 yards. We also play with a 51* wedge and a 5h as our only two clubs. You're either pitching or punching the entire round.

The course will be open regardless of weather tomorrow morning. GolfNow is not a part of the booking process. I make the decision on whether the course will be open or not so all tee times are honored. Prices are beyond excellent and since the course superintendent just cleared the leaves today, it's in great shape. If you get too bored this winter let me know by PM. My course is always open. Just don't shank one right, otherwise the course BOSS might come out and yell at us. For that reason, there is no lob wedges over the house allowed in Around The House golf.

#7 BNGL

BNGL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 472816
GolfWRX Likes : 115

Posted 11 November 2017 - 08:27 PM

Larry The Golfing Doc, on 11 November 2017 - 07:05 PM, said:

I played a fantastic round of golf today in the same basic area. We call it "around the house" golf. We tee off by the junction box by the road, down the narrowest fairway known to man. You have a 5' wide path between the trees and have to hit it higher than 12' and lower than 20' to find the fairway. There's OB left, right is my house which would suck but not technically OB, and any drive over 150' is OB into the neighbors yard. You also have to be more than 120' to "cut the corner" and make it play as a par 5. We play it as a par 6. If you hit a perfect tee shot, there's still OB left and long (road) with our house right. Come to think about it, in Around The House golf, there is always house right. Again, not technically OB but it would really stink to hit it. Following a perfect 2nd, you have driveway to carry but you'll have to keep the ball low to not hit the overhanging branches. Failing to carry the driveway and landing on it will almost certainly see me your ball trickle through the end of the fairway OB into the road. The hole is finished once you hit the junction box. I've played this course a couple hundred times and have been close to eagle a few times but my best is birdie. Mainly because 5' behind the junction box is OB neighbors yard.

You really have to pick your shots in Around The House golf. It might be the only course in America that plays to its Par of 78 yet is only around 3,000 yards. We also play with a 51* wedge and a 5h as our only two clubs. You're either pitching or punching the entire round.

The course will be open regardless of weather tomorrow morning. GolfNow is not a part of the booking process. I make the decision on whether the course will be open or not so all tee times are honored. Prices are beyond excellent and since the course superintendent just cleared the leaves today, it's in great shape. If you get too bored this winter let me know by PM. My course is always open. Just don't shank one right, otherwise the course BOSS might come out and yell at us. For that reason, there is no lob wedges over the house allowed in Around The House golf.

Lmfao the course boss haha, very creative good for you man!!! Stay warm!

#8 BIG STU

BIG STU

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,979 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 284204
  • Handicap:5.0
GolfWRX Likes : 22303

Posted 11 November 2017 - 08:45 PM

Now Golfnow could be part of the process if YOU say we can golf NOW!! Sounds cool but it is a little stretch of a drive for me. And you know being the chief cook and bottle washer you could pull a Willie Nelson as in " I own the course and par is whatever I say it is today"
Driver: Titleist 915 D-2 Mitsubishi Diamana 65 R
3 Wood Adams Super S 15* Bassara Regular flex
Hybrid - TM Rescue Mid 19* Pro Launch Blue
Hybrid- TM Rescue Mid 22* Stock TM Tip Stiff
2 iron 1999 Hogan Apex " Canadian Special" 19* S-300 Stock Tip Butt cut only ( yes a real Hogan Apex)
Irons -- 5 thru PW 2013 Callaway Forged X Rifle 5.5 PXI
GW Callaway BECU 50* S-300 hard tipped 1x
SW Callaway PM 56* FST wedge stock named "Mickey"

Putter - Scotty Santa Fe 1997 vintage rusty as heck nicknamed "Rusty"
Bag Old School TEE 3.5 stand

Founding Father of the Outlaw Golf Association Member #1 To heck with the USGA
Redneck Hippie Golf-- When the tailgate drops the BS stops

#9 LeoLeo99

LeoLeo99

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,506 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 326383
GolfWRX Likes : 1475

Posted 11 November 2017 - 08:50 PM

ChxDigLongBall, on 11 November 2017 - 12:24 PM, said:

Glad to hear that your experiences with Golfnow in the 3 seasons that you worked at a course were pleasant, but not everybody's are the same. Believe me,

Do tell.  Or else, why should be we believe you?

#10 Larry The Golfing Doc

Larry The Golfing Doc

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2017 - 09:34 PM

BIG STU, on 11 November 2017 - 08:45 PM, said:

Now Golfnow could be part of the process if YOU say we can golf NOW!! Sounds cool but it is a little stretch of a drive for me. And you know being the chief cook and bottle washer you could pull a Willie Nelson as in " I own the course and par is whatever I say it is today"

Tried that, but the idea of a floating par based on my game was struck down by the other "patrons". Still one helluva a par 78 course though, I'll buy the beer for anyone that can shoot par or better. We all have green jackets, but it's by pure coincidence. I'll be back later, the course BOSS is suggesting that I give the dog a bath....

Edit: English as a language is tough for me sometimes

Edited by Larry The Golfing Doc, 11 November 2017 - 09:40 PM.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 wkuo3

wkuo3

RELEASE

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,827 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20890
  • Handicap:11.2
GolfWRX Likes : 65

Posted 12 November 2017 - 12:09 PM

Been golfing over 4 decades and been using GolfNow since the inception of this business when they only had a handful of golf courses on the book.

The feeling I received throughout the years from using GolfNow booking is this....... The Staff of the golf courses ( managing pro or cashier ) did not receive the users of GolfNow very well.  Sometimes we got the feeling of being the beggar dealing with the Butler of a charity house.
I often wonders why, because the tee times were sold to the GolfNow not stolen from them.

Plus, Once I told a regional operational manager of some golf courses, that the spots on the tee sheet is a perishable commodity,  one can not bottle it and save it for tomorrow or next month.  When running a promotion owing to the weather forecast or local sporting events, give it as you meant it , not as a charity case to make the user feel bad about taking up the offering.

It's like walking in a restaurant and ask for the lunch special.  Will you come back to the restaurant if you were not treated as well as the rest of the customers ?  The lunch special was not forced upon the restaurant owners or the servers, so why show dismay when the empty tables were to be occupied by the bargain hunters ?

I went to a local 36 holes layout recently with GolfNow booking, one of the 18 was sanded recently  so we asked to switch to the second 18 ( which both 18 had available tee times on the GolfNow that day for the same price).  The golf courses were wide open, but we were denied to switch the golf course for equal value.  

From a business point, this makes no sense at all.  

If any business want to give a discount to move merchandise, do it as you meant it.  For the golf course managers, you could keep the tee times and see if you could sell them tomorrow.

#12 apprenti23

apprenti23

Major Winner

• 3,211 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 40702
GolfWRX Likes : 1546

Posted 12 November 2017 - 12:58 PM

GolfNow has devalued golf courses so much itís ridiculous...

OP since you know so much in your three seasons why donít you go run a course? Iím sure it will be perfect.

#13 ChxDigLongBall

ChxDigLongBall

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87810
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 12 November 2017 - 03:07 PM

LeoLeo99, on 11 November 2017 - 08:50 PM, said:

ChxDigLongBall, on 11 November 2017 - 12:24 PM, said:

Do tell.  Or else, why should be we believe you?
If you want details PM me. I'm not airing my grievances with their company in a post.
Epic Sub Zero 9*- BiMatrix 80X- Lime Green
Epic Sub Zero 13.5*- Bimatrix 80X- Lime Green
XR Steelhead 3h- Project X 9B3 6.5
XR Steelhead Pro- 4-PW- DG TI X100
Mac Daddy Forged 50, 54, 60- DG TI Xi00
Odyssey O-Works V-Line Fang CH
Taylor Made TP5

#14 orion1123

orion1123

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 486432
  • Handicap:10
  • Ebay ID:Orion1123
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 12 November 2017 - 11:28 PM

jaycevs, on 11 November 2017 - 10:48 AM, said:

Its a 30 degree day in NE Ohio, topping out at 37-38 in a few hours, but I still want to get out and hit some balls since I got a new driver and two new hybrids over the past two weeks.  I booked a tee time locally today, and knowing how courses are managed decided to follow up and call the course directly.  Of course someone answered after 10-15 rings, and said the course was closed and acted like I'm nuts for wanting to be outdoors in November.  I went through Golfnow and called a few other courses, same thing.  As someone that worked at a course for 3 seasons, I know all it takes is a 2 minute call to Golfnow by the course to pull the tee times, but many of these places lack the decency or concern about their customers to make that effort.  I know exactly how Golfnow works, and have called out a few course employees as these courses typically blame Golfnow for any issues, and I will tell them exactly what the policy is and how Golfnow operates.

It is unfair to Golfnow to have these courses trash their reputation, and it does hurt their business as anytime the weather is not 70 degrees and sunny it is necessary to call these places to confirm courses are open, even though the platform is incredibly easy to use.

For these courses, I always remember which ones care about their customers and which don't, and don't want to hear the complaints about lack of rounds and the decline of golf when these poorly managed places close down.  Maybe a lot people are tired of cranky retirees trying to operate cash registers and acting like they don't want your business...

Just curious which course? I live on the west side of Cleveland and hope to golf this Thursday... assuming it’s not raining

#15 bladehunter

bladehunter

Cubs win ! Cubs win!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,505 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 291449
  • Handicap:NONE
GolfWRX Likes : 11753

Posted 13 November 2017 - 09:10 AM

wkuo3, on 12 November 2017 - 12:09 PM, said:

Been golfing over 4 decades and been using GolfNow since the inception of this business when they only had a handful of golf courses on the book.

The feeling I received throughout the years from using GolfNow booking is this....... The Staff of the golf courses ( managing pro or cashier ) did not receive the users of GolfNow very well.  Sometimes we got the feeling of being the beggar dealing with the Butler of a charity house.
I often wonders why, because the tee times were sold to the GolfNow not stolen from them.

Plus, Once I told a regional operational manager of some golf courses, that the spots on the tee sheet is a perishable commodity,  one can not bottle it and save it for tomorrow or next month.  When running a promotion owing to the weather forecast or local sporting events, give it as you meant it , not as a charity case to make the user feel bad about taking up the offering.

It's like walking in a restaurant and ask for the lunch special.  Will you come back to the restaurant if you were not treated as well as the rest of the customers ?  The lunch special was not forced upon the restaurant owners or the servers, so why show dismay when the empty tables were to be occupied by the bargain hunters ?

I went to a local 36 holes layout recently with GolfNow booking, one of the 18 was sanded recently  so we asked to switch to the second 18 ( which both 18 had available tee times on the GolfNow that day for the same price).  The golf courses were wide open, but we were denied to switch the golf course for equal value.  

If any business want to give a discount to move merchandise, do it as you meant it.  For the golf course managers, you could keep the tee times and see if you could sell them tomorrow.

Golfnow is part of the problem. Not the solution.  Want to grow the game ?  Stop helping leverage courses out of their earned profit.  

Think of it this way. You have joined a strong arm group that rivals the jimmy Hoffa teamster days.  They take and demand a cut from existing time slots.  And resell them  to you for within dollars of the same cost you can get that tee time straight from the course.  You afford the middle man a profit for literally organizing a union against the courses then ask " why don't they like me "?  Really ?  They are doing same work for less money that's why.  

You aren't playing more golf.  Your just playing cheaper.  Only way this is possible is to take profit away from a tee time.  Which is part of the problem for course closings and poor service.

Edited by bladehunter, 13 November 2017 - 09:10 AM.

Epic GBB 9 TC serial  Diamana D+ whiteboard 70TX DIALEAD special edition
17 M1 15   Graphite Design   ADDI 8X
Titleist TMB 2 Graphite Design 105X prototype
Vega VDC-01 Raw Handground 4-pw Modus 130X
Vega VW-02 Raw 52 56 60 S400
009 GSS 1.5  , Beached, tungsten sole weights

#16 scrody17

scrody17

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100748
  • Ebay ID:scrody17
GolfWRX Likes : 24

Posted 13 November 2017 - 09:18 AM

Since GolfNow is benefiting from all the "Hot Deals/Times" why shouldn't they have some ownership and determining if a course is closed before selling those times too. I think there are two parties involved so both should be proactive and responsible.

Side note. I once booked a tee time through teeoff.com for a course in SC during a visit to the Masters. When we showed up to the course Director of Golf said he had never even heard of teeoff.com. I talked to the tee off rep on the phone and they basically said oops I'm sorry. The worst part is it was Masters week so we then had to pay their holiday jacked up rate to play. Went from expecting like $40 to $100 for a pretty average course. Tee off is so poorly ran too. Between GolfNow and Teeoff it's a toss up for which is a bigger joke these days. Insert "IMHO" though because you may feel differently...
Current Set Up:
Cobra Fly Z+ Driver Kuro Kage
Nike Vapor Speed 3 wood w/ Pro Launch Red
Nike Vapor Fly 5 wood w/ EPIC T90
Adams Idea Pro 23* VS Proto
Callaway X-forged 2013 4-PW PXi 5.5 hard stepped once
Titleist SM6 54*
Titleist SM6 60*
Odyssey RX 2 ball

#17 defnotapro

defnotapro

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 413146
  • Handicap:16
GolfWRX Likes : 33

Posted 13 November 2017 - 09:34 AM

bladehunter, on 13 November 2017 - 09:10 AM, said:

Golfnow is part of the problem. Not the solution.  Want to grow the game ?  Stop helping leverage courses out of their earned profit.  

Think of it this way. You have joined a strong arm group that rivals the jimmy Hoffa teamster days.  They take and demand a cut from existing time slots.  And resell them  to you for within dollars of the same cost you can get that tee time straight from the course.  You afford the middle man a profit for literally organizing a union against the courses then ask " why don't they like me "?  Really ?  They are doing same work for less money that's why.  

You aren't playing more golf.  Your just playing cheaper.  Only way this is possible is to take profit away from a tee time.  Which is part of the problem for course closings and poor service.

Just curious if you know the cost of any tee sheet or POS software? I would argue that they offer a decent deal when compared to other platforms. They trade the cost of either monthly or yearly software costs (upgrades) for 1 or 2 tee times a day. It may be a $50+ value but the cost is much less to the golf course which can be made up with a purchase of range balls or food/drink. Many weekday tee times do not get purchased. I would also argue that many of the people who purchase the golfnow tee times probably wouldn't normally go to that course at the regular price.

There are also many of us that use golfnow and know that the money does not go to the course and often will buy a glove or food/drink. I end up spending the same amount and get more. I also would not drive across Houston a lot of time to play several of the courses I have if it were full price. I have been back to many without getting a hot deal because I liked the course so much. Would have never gone to that course in the first place.

#18 bladehunter

bladehunter

Cubs win ! Cubs win!

• Advanced Members
  • 13,505 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2017 - 02:07 PM

defnotapro, on 13 November 2017 - 09:34 AM, said:

Just curious if you know the cost of any tee sheet or POS software? I would argue that they offer a decent deal when compared to other platforms. They trade the cost of either monthly or yearly software costs (upgrades) for 1 or 2 tee times a day. It may be a $50+ value but the cost is much less to the golf course which can be made up with a purchase of range balls or food/drink. Many weekday tee times do not get purchased. I would also argue that many of the people who purchase the golfnow tee times probably wouldn't normally go to that course at the regular price.

There are also many of us that use golfnow and know that the money does not go to the course and often will buy a glove or food/drink. I end up spending the same amount and get more. I also would not drive across Houston a lot of time to play several of the courses I have if it were full price. I have been back to many without getting a hot deal because I liked the course so much. Would have never gone to that course in the first place.

If I'm understanding your question you are suggesting that golfnow is cheaper than having your own pos software etc ?   Maybe. But I've yet to see a course that doesn't have their own pos tee sheet.  They have both usually.  

And I disagree. Locally to me it's the regulars that use it for the discount.  Guys you know by name.  They come in ( I'm a member at a semi private not an employee ) and have booked tee time online with golfnow.  

It's being put to s vote via membership this month to go next year without golf now.  Why ?  Math says we can discount our own tee times Monday teusday and  Thursday of every week  to the current golf now price.  Collect 100% of that and not loose a round.  Sure some rounds will be lost.  But the extra profit will pay for thy plus less rounds has to equal some savings on the maintenance side.  

Our club paid golfnow $30kplus in 2016.  Has to be some middle ground in there. I refuse to believe that that's all one time no local players.  Bottom line they are a middle man preforming no service for the club.  Large resort clubs may benefit. As in people may book because of the discount. But small rural clubs which are 99% of the golf courses on earth get raped by the app.

#19 defnotapro

defnotapro

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 413146
  • Handicap:16
GolfWRX Likes : 33

Posted 13 November 2017 - 02:34 PM

bladehunter, on 13 November 2017 - 02:07 PM, said:

If I'm understanding your question you are suggesting that golfnow is cheaper than having your own pos software etc ?   Maybe. But I've yet to see a course that doesn't have their own pos tee sheet.  They have both usually.  

And I disagree. Locally to me it's the regulars that use it for the discount.  Guys you know by name.  They come in ( I'm a member at a semi private not an employee ) and have booked tee time online with golfnow.  

It's being put to s vote via membership this month to go next year without golf now.  Why ?  Math says we can discount our own tee times Monday teusday and  Thursday of every week  to the current golf now price.  Collect 100% of that and not loose a round.  Sure some rounds will be lost.  But the extra profit will pay for thy plus less rounds has to equal some savings on the maintenance side.  

Our club paid golfnow $30kplus in 2016.  Has to be some middle ground in there. I refuse to believe that that's all one time no local players.  Bottom line they are a middle man preforming no service for the club.  Large resort clubs may benefit. As in people may book because of the discount. But small rural clubs which are 99% of the golf courses on earth get raped by the app.

So the club paid 30k or was that in lost revenue?

And yes, every golf course has a tee sheet program and more than likely they either paid for it originally and or pay for upgrades to the system every year. Highly doubt it would be as much as your club lost in golfnow.

#20 bladehunter

bladehunter

Cubs win ! Cubs win!

• Advanced Members
  • 13,505 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2017 - 05:28 PM

defnotapro, on 13 November 2017 - 02:34 PM, said:

bladehunter, on 13 November 2017 - 02:07 PM, said:

So the club paid 30k or was that in lost revenue?

And yes, every golf course has a tee sheet program and more than likely they either paid for it originally and or pay for upgrades to the system every year. Highly doubt it would be as much as your club lost in golfnow.

30 k is supposedly golf now cut for 2016.  

The committee is supposed to see actual accounting at the meeting the end of this month with 1-2 quarter this year as well.  That number is what I got by word of mouth from our pro.      Makes sense.  About $600 a week.  Our course does a ton of rounds as it is a bargain to begin with.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 jut111

jut111

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 205837
GolfWRX Likes : 626

Posted 13 November 2017 - 06:15 PM

Golf now seems like a good idea executed poorly.  

Part I don't get though is course operators bitching about it. Did gn hold a gun to there head to sign up?  Curious how long term the contracts are

#22 CStephenson17

CStephenson17

Advanced

• 258 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 309253
  • Handicap:+1
GolfWRX Likes : 147

Posted 13 November 2017 - 06:20 PM

Golfnow bought out our software, Fore! Reservations a couple of years ago and it has been nothing but trouble. The software is extremely buggy but we were locked into a contract and are now required to have GolfNow available tee times. I personally hate GolfNow tee times because we get people who wouldnít play golf otherwise. Iím not a ďget off my lawnĒ type but the people we seem to get are frat boys who would rather drive the cart and get drunk. Itís tough on the weekends because they donít respect the course (drive everywhere including on the collars) and donít respect the Marshall and on top of it all, they arenít very good and slow up play.

THIS IS AN VERY BROAD GENREALIZATION

To be clear, I donít have a problem with GolfNow in itself, I do have a problem with some of the customers it attracts. It comes with the territory and nothing can be done about it. I wish we could review our customers but unfortunately they could just create a new account. Oh well.

#23 BrianL99

BrianL99

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,138 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 156579
  • Handicap:IRL
GolfWRX Likes : 3237

Posted 13 November 2017 - 06:33 PM

You folks who are beating up on GolfNow, are way off base.

GolfNow is one of the best things that ever happened to the Public Golf course business.  

Locals have virtually eliminated their need to advertise, they have a booking source that does all the work for them and they get exposure, far beyond their usual marketing reach.

GolfNow's business model, is no different than the hotel industry and the airplane industry.  It's great for the consumer and great for businesses that understand their market.

In my opinion, anyone who's in the industry and sees GolfNow as bad for thier business, is an idiot and deserves to go out of business.

& to the poster that talked about the "other 18 hole course" being the same price and you weren't allowed on it ... were you talking about World Woods?  That seems to be their M.O. and quite honestly, their management hasn't been very good for many years, in my opinion. That's just one of the stupid things they do.

Edited by BrianL99, 13 November 2017 - 06:33 PM.

#24 scrody17

scrody17

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100748
  • Ebay ID:scrody17
GolfWRX Likes : 24

Posted 13 November 2017 - 07:14 PM

View PostBrianL99, on 13 November 2017 - 06:33 PM, said:

GolfNow is one of the best things that ever happened to the Public Golf course business.  

Locals have virtually eliminated their need to advertise, they have a booking source that does all the work for them and they get exposure, far beyond their usual marketing reach.

GolfNow's business model, is no different than the hotel industry and the airplane industry.  It's great for the consumer and great for businesses that understand their market.

In my opinion, anyone who's in the industry and sees GolfNow as bad for thier business, is an idiot and deserves to go out of business.

& to the poster that talked about the "other 18 hole course" being the same price and you weren't allowed on it ... were you talking about World Woods?  That seems to be their M.O. and quite honestly, their management hasn't been very good for many years, in my opinion. That's just one of the stupid things they do.

I'm not sure I agree. Since the vast (and I mean vast) majority of rounds I book from GN are Hot Deals and that money goes all to GN. I would say the same to be true of all my golfing friends as well. Maybe I will get called cheap but I play where there is a good deal at a decent course and that is usually a Hot Deal on GN. So not sure how GN is great for local courses. Seems like I am programmed what to pay now and don't want to pay more so some major gouging of prices has occurred. Just my thoughts though.
Current Set Up:
Cobra Fly Z+ Driver Kuro Kage
Nike Vapor Speed 3 wood w/ Pro Launch Red
Nike Vapor Fly 5 wood w/ EPIC T90
Adams Idea Pro 23* VS Proto
Callaway X-forged 2013 4-PW PXi 5.5 hard stepped once
Titleist SM6 54*
Titleist SM6 60*
Odyssey RX 2 ball

#25 jschwarb

jschwarb

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 157177
GolfWRX Likes : 140

Posted 13 November 2017 - 07:34 PM

I was driven away from GolfNow (and their cousins) for good when I booked two foursomes on a big golf weekend with friends, got to the course and found out there was an outing during our tee times. Don't know who was to blame -- the course for not notifying the site or the site for not doing its regular due diligence (if that even exists) -- but it was a huge clusterf*ck and I felt like crap for being the guy to book. To the course's great credit, they called another course down the road, got us on there and paid for it, since we had prepaid them already.

This was probably 3-4 years ago. Sure, I could have probably saved several bucks in the years since by using these sites, but when I get in the car to go play I gotta make darned sure the tee time actually exists. Booking through the course is the only way to make 99.9999 percent sure.

#26 Larry The Golfing Doc

Larry The Golfing Doc

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2017 - 07:39 PM

Ohh, there's nothing more I love than a spontaneous GolfNow thread! Lol. My side I will explain as a Customer of many golf courses locally both VIA GolfNow and paying regular rates-as well as being a member at a private club that I usually don't play golf with my children on. When I'm looking to play golf with my kids I always look for a deal through GolfNow, with the rare exception being when I play a round at the CC with them. There is no additional charge to play a round there with them, but it's hard to find a time there that works for us that I don't feel guilty for being the only schmuck there with a group of kids. I'm not young but I'm one of the younger full members there and kids are welcome, provided that they only use the youth programs and that there are no pace problems, regardless of whether you cause them or not. My kids pick up if they're the pace problem. Doesn't matter, glares and sideways glances will be shot our way if not outright hostility. We'll see if I crunch the numbers and determine if I'll be a member there next season. I usually fret over the decision then remember that I've already paid initiation and it's by far the nicest course in my area.

Anyways when I play rounds with my kids, area courses are all over 100.00 for full rates for all to play. Save one, and we play there the most paying full rates. These are courses that mostly paying 30.00 for 18 will make you feel somewhat cheated. They're not great. For the most part they're not even good. That's ok though, when they're playing with me I'm only focused on having a good time with them. I don't care how bad the course is, it's about them and you can hit good and bad shots on terrible courses and still have fun. So when I can book a round with them and only pay roughly 50.00 for a 4-some, I'll do that every time. One of the courses that we play quite a bit, it costs me 152.00 to pay full rates for all of us. 38.00 each, no youth rate nor discount. I pay that a few times a year-6 times this season, I just checked-so it's not like they're not making money off of us.  It's a below average course that is very close by. When I can pay 50.00 or so to play it for all of us-why would I not do that?

Many less area courses use GolfNow this year over previous years. Read that however you want. No one is forcing these courses to use this service. This is what really gets me. If a company was screwing me over in my work, I'd not do business with them. There has to be a benefit for all or they wouldn't use them. If theres none for the course and they still use them? Why is that my problem? One local course is city owned. It's lost money every single year I've been a golfer. It's not bad but there is a much nicer course in the same town that's within 10 bucks of it at full rates. Until this season that much nicer course used GolfNow. It was a top 50 public course in the USA for under 100.00 and I played it for 10.00 via GolfNow several times a year the past few years. I'm neither poor nor rich but if someone tells me I can spend 50.00 or spend 150.00 to do the same thing at the same time, it's a pretty darn easy answer. I understand how these deals work for the course. It seems like a pretty bad deal. There has to be a reason why they continue to use them. As a Customer, both through GolfNow and paying regular rates at all of my area courses, the first time one of them made me feel unwelcome because I took advantage of a deal that they indirectly offered, that would be the last time that I ever paid their rates again. I can be a little obstinate at times and it certainly wouldn't preclude me from using GolfNow from booking there again. Probably with a big smile when I checked in. I hope all courses make it. I also do more than my part to ensure that they do. I do support them. Taking the kids out for a round means snacks and drinks at the turn, usually a golf ball purchase, someone always needs a glove, etc. So it's not like they're only getting the scraps leftover from GN.  Most kids rounds have me spending an additional 50.00 or so by the time it's all said and done. Maybe more if I fancy a club in the pro-shop. I also base where we're going to play the most based largely on how we are treated. If the shop makes me feel welcome and valued, we'll play there frequently. If every experience there is beyond great, even as a goat track, they have a chance of me buying a family membership there for the next year.

Since I was curious, I also just went back and added up what I spent in total at the course that I play the most outside of my club for the year. It's the course I mentioned above that is in the same city as a top public course. I'm not including any fees paid to GolfNow, but strictly what I've spent there this year when my card has been rang in at the course. 1292.08. This is by booking most of my kids rounds through GolfNow. Almost half of it was by buying an individual full membership for 495.00-best deal in golf probably-because my dad and I play there most weeks and I book my kids on there a lot. This is full greens fees w/cart. They have a range but I still have to buy tokens. I don't usually buy them since it's 25 minutes away and my home club is 6 minutes away with full range use. I used it just enough to make it worthwhile, about 20 rounds with dad and 10 with the kids. I also spent about 400.00 in the pro shop and 200.00 buying hot dogs at the turn for the kids.

Too long? Summation: why should a consumer not take the best deal offered to them? GolfNow doesn't own the courses. They're a business partner. If they're not a good business partner the courses should divorce them. I've never been made to feel less by using this service, most courses know me pretty well around here so it's not an issue. Not because I'm famous or even a good golfer. Because I frequent them, treat everyone decently, and have some cute kids that always are hanging out with me. I think the thought when I'm seen is, "hey it's the ugly Larry guy again, I hope his kids are around". However if one would treat us bad, they'd have to work pretty darn hard to earn my business again. If they even got the chance. Sorry so long but I'm pretty passionate about Customers and one of the few things that can really upset me is when I am that Customer and am treated badly. If GN is a bad deal for courses, don't use them. Please don't ever take it out on those that utilize a service to frequent your business. That thought doesn't sit well with me at all.

#27 BrianL99

BrianL99

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,138 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 156579
  • Handicap:IRL
GolfWRX Likes : 3237

Posted 13 November 2017 - 07:48 PM

View Postscrody17, on 13 November 2017 - 07:14 PM, said:

View PostBrianL99, on 13 November 2017 - 06:33 PM, said:

I'm not sure I agree. Since the vast (and I mean vast) majority of rounds I book from GN are Hot Deals and that money goes all to GN. I would say the same to be true of all my golfing friends as well. Maybe I will get called cheap but I play where there is a good deal at a decent course and that is usually a Hot Deal on GN. So not sure how GN is great for local courses. Seems like I am programmed what to pay now and don't want to pay more so some major gouging of prices has occurred. Just my thoughts though.

Hot Deals are limited and first come, first served.   It's no different than the Black Friday Sales we'll start hearing about in a week or so.  When they're gone, they're gone.

Think about it.  The golf courses "pay" GolfNow with a Tee Time, instead of "cash".   That's a great deal.  They pay GolfNow with a $100 Tee Time and GolfNow may sell it for only $30.  What was the "cost" to the course, for that Tee Time?

#28 bamaslammer

bamaslammer

RTR

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 265056
GolfWRX Likes : 26

Posted 13 November 2017 - 10:23 PM

View Postwkuo3, on 12 November 2017 - 12:09 PM, said:

^^^this^^^
EVERY time we play the hot deals, the guy goes out of his way to say they don't make any money off it. And we play there all the time without booking through gn.
ping g ls tour green x
stage 2 ts  kai li 80X
SLDR 5w Speeder ts 8.3X
TM rocketbladez tour kbs 130x
Ping glide
rife 2 bar hybrid cs

#29 bladehunter

bladehunter

Cubs win ! Cubs win!

• Advanced Members
  • 13,505 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2017 - 09:14 AM

View Postbamaslammer, on 13 November 2017 - 10:23 PM, said:

^^^this^^^
EVERY time we play the hot deals, the guy goes out of his way to say they don't make any money off it. And we play there all the time without booking through gn.

well..... isnt it true ? kind of like the people who dont tip  ( hint - a dollar isnt a tip)  at restaurants and complain about the service.... saying " we're regulars and they treat us this way"! yep... regular______s....

im not trying to insult.... but you have to flip the coin around somtimes and see the other side....  if you feel good about using golf now for a place you  frequent then thats your deal...  I personally would not.... Maybe on a trip where i were staying and spending money on the lodging food etc... But never on a $39 tee time to save $10... Im not wealthy either.. But i find you get that $10 back x10 if you arent lumped into the wrong bucket by the staff...

edit---   totally depends on the numbers too...if your course saw a numbers drop and decided it was because they didnt use golf now ...started using gof now and saw the numbers return to a historically accurate number for that course....that is Golf now taking some of your market....

If your course simply started using golf now and saw a revenue increase due to more booked tee times. then i see the positive for the course....

I just doubt that golf now is creating new business.... I feel like they just grabbed a piece of the existing pie... and alot fo courses feel this way.. and they dont feel this way based on nothing.. has to be some fact out there to have it be such a wide spread opinion...   I also feel like its a trap whos door has shut... to opt out may well cause courses to loose their current standing in the market... because of the greed of the consumer... just food for thought next time you hear someone talking about "growing the game".....  taking some hands out of the till couldnt hurt..

Edited by bladehunter, 14 November 2017 - 09:36 AM.

#30 bamaslammer

bamaslammer

RTR

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 265056
GolfWRX Likes : 26

Posted 14 November 2017 - 11:25 AM

View Postbladehunter, on 14 November 2017 - 09:14 AM, said:

View Postbamaslammer, on 13 November 2017 - 10:23 PM, said:

^^^this^^^

well..... isnt it true ? kind of like the people who dont tip  ( hint - a dollar isnt a tip)  at restaurants and complain about the service.... saying " we're regulars and they treat us this way"! yep... regular______s....

im not trying to insult.... but you have to flip the coin around somtimes and see the other side....  if you feel good about using golf now for a place you  frequent then thats your deal...  I personally would not.... Maybe on a trip where i were staying and spending money on the lodging food etc... But never on a $39 tee time to save $10... Im not wealthy either.. But i find you get that $10 back x10 if you arent lumped into the wrong bucket by the staff...

edit---   totally depends on the numbers too...if your course saw a numbers drop and decided it was because they didnt use golf now ...started using gof now and saw the numbers return to a historically accurate number for that course....that is Golf now taking some of your market....

If your course simply started using golf now and saw a revenue increase due to more booked tee times. then i see the positive for the course....

I just doubt that golf now is creating new business.... I feel like they just grabbed a piece of the existing pie... and alot fo courses feel this way.. and they dont feel this way based on nothing.. has to be some fact out there to have it be such a wide spread opinion...   I also feel like its a trap whos door has shut... to opt out may well cause courses to loose their current standing in the market... because of the greed of the consumer... just food for thought next time you hear someone talking about "growing the game".....  taking some hands out of the till couldnt hurt..
Tipping and a coupon are not the same

ping g ls tour green x
stage 2 ts  kai li 80X
SLDR 5w Speeder ts 8.3X
TM rocketbladez tour kbs 130x
Ping glide
rife 2 bar hybrid cs

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors