Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Winter blues

35 replies to this topic

#1 mattd1206

mattd1206

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 450274
  • Handicap:12
  • Ebay ID:mat_o2ttlqy70
GolfWRX Likes : 26

Posted 10 November 2017 - 09:17 AM

Ah as I wake up this morning and the ground is covered in that hellish white stuff I sit in bed wondering how quick I could pack all my stuff and move down south. After I decided that wouldn’t work to great I think how am I able to keep my golf addiction at ease for the winter months. Obviously club ho’ing with help but I also believe that I am going to spend a legitimate time of this winter hitting on a simulator that a local pga instructor owns. Hoping more than anything that this and the lessons provided will help not only keep my game sharp but keep me excited for next yearAlso looking for a driver fitting. Just trying to avoid the depression of winter at bay. Constant putting in the living room, watching golf YouTube videos, just hoping that I win one of those “free golf getaways” I entered with my fake email I’ve pulled out all the stops to make this winter better. But as many of you know I can only imagine that it will end with me bring the clubs into the bedroom and cleaning and sitting them at the end of the bed to make sure I keep good standing with them as they hate this time of year more than anyone. Thoughts and prayers are appreciated at this time as all golfers go through this tough times.

Matthew HCP-12

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 TheyCallMeVinnie

TheyCallMeVinnie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 334713
GolfWRX Likes : 66

Posted 10 November 2017 - 09:33 AM

I use an indoor training facility by me until April-ish.

This is the time of the year I start taking more frequent lessons so I am ready for the new season

#3 Atrayn

Atrayn

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,741 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 73203
GolfWRX Likes : 467

Posted 10 November 2017 - 09:36 AM

I just renewed my membership into the Yeti Club at my local golf dome...
Callaway DBD w/ Aldila Rogue silver
Tour Edge Exotics XCG3 3W
Callaway RZR Fit Extreme 5W
Tour Edge Exotics EX10 hybrid 3 w/ UST Recoil 670
Cobra AMP Forged 4-GW w/KBS Tour black nickel S
Miura 54 & 58 wedges
Ping Cadence Rustler Traditional putter

#4 mattd1206

mattd1206

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2017 - 10:26 AM

I don’t have tooooo many options of indoor domes none of which are nice enough to justify spending a ton of money at. I’m hoping that i am able to get to use the simulator. Seriously considered buying a skytrak. Pretty nice setup for relatively cheap.
Matthew HCP-12

#5 Ferguson

Ferguson

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,893 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 371587
  • Handicap:6.6
GolfWRX Likes : 2091

Posted 10 November 2017 - 10:53 AM

mattd1206, on 10 November 2017 - 09:17 AM, said:

Ah as I wake up this morning and the ground is covered in that hellish white stuff I sit in bed wondering how quick I could pack all my stuff and move down south. After I decided that wouldn’t work to great I think how am I able to keep my golf addiction at ease for the winter months. Obviously club ho’ing with help but I also believe that I am going to spend a legitimate time of this winter hitting on a simulator that a local pga instructor owns. Hoping more than anything that this and the lessons provided will help not only keep my game sharp but keep me excited for next yearAlso looking for a driver fitting. Just trying to avoid the depression of winter at bay. Constant putting in the living room, watching golf YouTube videos, just hoping that I win one of those “free golf getaways” I entered with my fake email I’ve pulled out all the stops to make this winter better. But as many of you know I can only imagine that it will end with me bring the clubs into the bedroom and cleaning and sitting them at the end of the bed to make sure I keep good standing with them as they hate this time of year more than anyone. Thoughts and prayers are appreciated at this time as all golfers go through this tough times.

You need to get out the house more.

#6 andrue

andrue

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 458618
  • Handicap:23
GolfWRX Likes : 151

Posted 10 November 2017 - 11:02 AM

I just keep playing. Scored 88 today (par 70) on a day off work. Just gotta find yourself the right place to live :)
Callaway XR Driver.
Callaway Big Bertha OS Hybrids (3/4/5)
Callaway Big Bertha OS Irons (6/7/8/9/PW/AW/SW)
Cleveland 60* LW
Callaway 64* Sureout wedge
Ghost Spider Si 72 Putter
Callaway Super Soft Yellow (White in winter).

#7 mattd1206

mattd1206

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2017 - 11:07 AM

Ferguson, on 10 November 2017 - 10:53 AM, said:

You just wouldn’t understand.
Matthew HCP-12

#8 mattd1206

mattd1206

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2017 - 11:12 AM

andrue, on 10 November 2017 - 11:02 AM, said:

I just keep playing. Scored 88 today (par 70) on a day off work. Just gotta find yourself the right place to live :)

I know it’s truly a struggle in WNY top 5 in the country in snowfall...
Matthew HCP-12

#9 Socrates

Socrates

How can it be so *&#% hard to make a shoulder turn?

• 7,507 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 60534
GolfWRX Likes : 2655

Posted 10 November 2017 - 11:34 AM

mattd1206, on 10 November 2017 - 11:07 AM, said:

Don't want to speak for him but, you are pretty much rambling on.  Maybe back off the caffeine before you hit the keyboard?

And good lord, it's only the beginning of November; what are you going to be like in January?  Shoveling a path in your backyard to find some grass to hit off?

Attached File  IMG_2787.jpg   133.05K   23 downloads
Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" Ping G30 10.5º Ping TFC 419 Reg or Stiff Jazz Bear Cat 3 wd Aerotech Stiff Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff X2 Hot 5-PW Recoil Reg - D2 Vokey SM2 52º cc Ping ES 56º and ES 60º Scotty X7M Dual 38"

#10 Ferguson

Ferguson

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,893 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 371587
  • Handicap:6.6
GolfWRX Likes : 2091

Posted 10 November 2017 - 11:51 AM

Socrates, on 10 November 2017 - 11:34 AM, said:

Don't want to speak for him but, you are pretty much rambling on.  Maybe back off the caffeine before you hit the keyboard?

And good lord, it's only the beginning of November; what are you going to be like in January?  Shoveling a path in your backyard to find some grass to hit off?

He just wants people to feel his pain and share in his sorrow.  Can't do it.  I moved south from upstate NY about 25 years ago.  I would never go back.
Here it's 50 and mostly sunny.  Only action gets things done.  If you're bored, find something to do.   Be productive.  Read a book.  Take a second job.  Go help blind kids.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 mattd1206

mattd1206

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2017 - 12:27 PM

Ferguson, on 10 November 2017 - 11:51 AM, said:

He just wants people to feel his pain and share in his sorrow.  Can't do it.  I moved south from upstate NY about 25 years ago.  I would never go back.
Here it's 50 and mostly sunny.  Only action gets things done.  If you're bored, find something to do.   Be productive.  Read a book.  Take a second job.  Go help blind kids.

Yeah I forgot how serious I was being. Next time I’ll remember to add in that there was a tone of joking....
Matthew HCP-12

#12 mattd1206

mattd1206

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2017 - 12:28 PM

Again meant to be a light hearted attempt at a joke
Matthew HCP-12

#13 jaymayor

jaymayor

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 461418
  • Handicap:10
  • Ebay ID:jaymayor
GolfWRX Likes : 275

Posted 10 November 2017 - 01:23 PM

For whatever reason, this conversation reminded me of this....

Attached Files

#14 mattd1206

mattd1206

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2017 - 01:37 PM

jaymayor, on 10 November 2017 - 01:23 PM, said:

For whatever reason, this conversation reminded me of this....

Lol � thank you I needed that
Matthew HCP-12

#15 Socrates

Socrates

• 7,507 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2017 - 01:46 PM

mattd1206, on 10 November 2017 - 12:28 PM, said:

Again meant to be a light hearted attempt at a joke
I got the joke. That’s why I posted the pic of me hopelessly waiting for spring.

This was the first season in a long time I was glad to see it end. Haven’t swung a club in two weeks.  Although, in 30 days I’ll be teeing it up in Palm Springs.  So I’ve got that going for me.

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" Ping G30 10.5º Ping TFC 419 Reg or Stiff Jazz Bear Cat 3 wd Aerotech Stiff Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff X2 Hot 5-PW Recoil Reg - D2 Vokey SM2 52º cc Ping ES 56º and ES 60º Scotty X7M Dual 38"

#16 JerseyBoy

JerseyBoy

Advanced

• 323 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 482144
GolfWRX Likes : 189

Posted 10 November 2017 - 06:03 PM

Never understood why people who choose to live in the arctic tundra always complain about living in the arctic tundra. Get outta there!! Sheesh!! (Yes, I'm trying to be funny. No, I'm not being overly serious, even thou....Stop yo whining!!!)

#17 deetsal

deetsal

deetsal

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 348655
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 708

Posted 10 November 2017 - 06:23 PM

mattd1206, on 10 November 2017 - 10:26 AM, said:

I don’t have tooooo many options of indoor domes none of which are nice enough to justify spending a ton of money at. I’m hoping that i am able to get to use the simulator. Seriously considered buying a skytrak. Pretty nice setup for relatively cheap.
I would recommend it, highly.

#18 mattd1206

mattd1206

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2017 - 06:52 PM

JerseyBoy, on 10 November 2017 - 06:03 PM, said:

Never understood why people who choose to live in the arctic tundra always complain about living in the arctic tundra. Get outta there!! Sheesh!! (Yes, I'm trying to be funny. No, I'm not being overly serious, even thou....Stop yo whining!!!)

Trust me I would never have chose to be born here lol. But ya know family is important I guess so I goota stay around for awhile longer

deetsal, on 10 November 2017 - 06:23 PM, said:

mattd1206, on 10 November 2017 - 10:26 AM, said:

I would recommend it, highly.

Recommend the skytrak or the dome?
Matthew HCP-12

#19 Smashdcrab

Smashdcrab

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 482642
GolfWRX Likes : 29

Posted 11 November 2017 - 12:41 AM

I live in Australia and at 45 years young, I have never seen snow. I'm happy to go my entire life without seeing it, the pictures and videos I have seen are enough.

#20 Socrates

Socrates

• 7,507 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2017 - 01:23 AM

Smashdcrab, on 11 November 2017 - 12:41 AM, said:

I live in Australia and at 45 years young, I have never seen snow. I'm happy to go my entire life without seeing it, the pictures and videos I have seen are enough.
Feel the same way about the the Australian wildlife.  Half of them are cute as hell and the other half are just plain scary and want to kill you.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 mattd1206

mattd1206

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2017 - 01:56 AM

View PostSocrates, on 11 November 2017 - 01:23 AM, said:

View PostSmashdcrab, on 11 November 2017 - 12:41 AM, said:

Feel the same way about the the Australian wildlife.  Half of them are cute as hell and the other half are just plain scary and want to kill you.

Yeah I can move snow and handle the cold. I can’t handle a spider the size of me.
Matthew HCP-12

#22 bluejeeprubi

bluejeeprubi

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 240329
GolfWRX Likes : 269

Posted 11 November 2017 - 03:00 AM

View PostJerseyBoy, on 10 November 2017 - 06:03 PM, said:

I got the winter blues too!  But mine is caused by all the old people coming to Florida for the winter.  I get to trade 3 hour rounds for 5 hour rounds.   Toss in higher green fees and people stopping after 9 for a full meal then hit 10 35 minutes later demanding they go ahead.

Edited by bluejeeprubi, 11 November 2017 - 03:04 AM.

Tour Issue AB 9.5 with 661 speeder x (about to go bye bye)
Ping rapture 2i 104x thump
4-pw Miura BB with x100 ti
50/60 mack daddy forged
Nike 006 proto

#23 Kenny Lee Puckett

Kenny Lee Puckett

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,935 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 379660
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 2112

Posted 11 November 2017 - 03:05 AM

I feel your pain OP,  just coming out of overseeding here and it is going to be really rough for the next 5-6 months till they start mowing down all the winter rye.
https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be  video on course practice 5/2016

Ping G400 LST: Fujikura Atmos Black
Ping Anser 4wd: Accra S3-80 RT
PXG 0317 Hybrid: Fujikura 8D07HB

Ping iBlade 4-PW: Dynamic Gold Tour Issue
Ping Glide  2.0  50/54/58 SS: DG Tour Issue
Ping Anser F Ti pixel

Ping 703 +3 wraps/Pingman putter grip
Ping Sensor glove/Srixon 2017 Z-Star XV
Ping Hoofer 2016 bag

#24 andrue

andrue

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 458618
  • Handicap:23
GolfWRX Likes : 151

Posted 11 November 2017 - 03:53 AM

The stuff is a damn' nuisance here. The problem in the UK isn't the quantity (most years most places barely get a dusting) it's just that we don't get enough practice in how to deal with it. Councils also don't have snow ploughs and the like because it's not worth it when they're only needed once a decade and even then probably only for a few days that year.
Callaway XR Driver.
Callaway Big Bertha OS Hybrids (3/4/5)
Callaway Big Bertha OS Irons (6/7/8/9/PW/AW/SW)
Cleveland 60* LW
Callaway 64* Sureout wedge
Ghost Spider Si 72 Putter
Callaway Super Soft Yellow (White in winter).

#25 MountainGoat

MountainGoat

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 450210
GolfWRX Likes : 434

Posted 11 November 2017 - 07:33 AM

Not me.  Every year prior to this one I powered thru winter by dragging myself to the range on any day above freezing.  I hit balls in the snow and putted in the basement.  But, this year I have no desire to do that.  By the end of the season, I reached an accommodation with the game.  I don't have any technical questions anymore, and I don't dream of any magic path to improvement.  I am what I am, and nothing seems to change that.  It's as though I finally saw into the soul of golf found it wanting.  I saw past its false promises and heady moral posturing.  I'm happy to just put the sticks away until March and do something else with my life for a while.

#26 8602081

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2384
GolfWRX Likes : 446

Posted 11 November 2017 - 09:04 AM

No snow in Cincinnati..

Wish me luck....  My tee time is 11 am.. at 30 degrees..

As long as it's not windy, I should be good..

#27 mattd1206

mattd1206

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2017 - 09:16 AM

View Postandrue, on 11 November 2017 - 03:53 AM, said:

The stuff is a damn' nuisance here. The problem in the UK isn't the quantity (most years most places barely get a dusting) it's just that we don't get enough practice in how to deal with it. Councils also don't have snow ploughs and the like because it's not worth it when they're only needed once a decade and even then probably only for a few days that year.

We don’t have that issue we get the practice. We can get up to a foot or two over night in a bad storm. I live next to Lake Erie so it’s all lake effect.
Matthew HCP-12

#28 Smashdcrab

Smashdcrab

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2017 - 03:03 PM

View Postmattd1206, on 11 November 2017 - 01:56 AM, said:

Yeah I can move snow and handle the cold. I can’t handle a spider the size of me.

It must be just what we are exposed to when we are young. Even though I haven't seen snow, the thought of driving in it scares me..as does avalanche. Even without all that skiing looks to me like I would only break limbs.
But spiders dont worry me much, they generally leave you alone if you leave them alone. Its really not as bad as you guys think, it's not like I have even seen a spider for days. If you want to go poking around in the scrub, you WILL find spiders...and poisonous ones. But there is none in my loungeroom right now.

#29 mattd1206

mattd1206

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2017 - 04:19 PM

View PostSmashdcrab, on 11 November 2017 - 03:03 PM, said:

View Postmattd1206, on 11 November 2017 - 01:56 AM, said:

It must be just what we are exposed to when we are young. Even though I haven't seen snow, the thought of driving in it scares me..as does avalanche. Even without all that skiing looks to me like I would only break limbs.
But spiders dont worry me much, they generally leave you alone if you leave them alone. Its really not as bad as you guys think, it's not like I have even seen a spider for days. If you want to go poking around in the scrub, you WILL find spiders...and poisonous ones. But there is none in my loungeroom right now.

Well for your safety I would hope so lol. But where I live we don’t have the mountains but we have the snow. And driving in it does suck as much as it sounds like it does!
Matthew HCP-12

#30 Smashdcrab

Smashdcrab

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2017 - 04:35 PM

We do have areas that snow in the southern parts of Australia, but I have never had a reason or desire to go down there. So I would be completely green on a snowy icy road and would probably do things that an 8 year old kid that grew up around snow would shake his head at. As global warming increases, hopefully my chances of having to deal with snow decrease.

Edited by Smashdcrab, 11 November 2017 - 04:35 PM.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors