Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Takeaway - hands go in clubhead goes out


30 replies to this topic

#1 Saltire

Saltire

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 217075
  • Joined: 12/21/2012
GolfWRX Likes : 21

Posted 09 November 2017 - 12:31 PM

I was watching some of the European Tour golf from South Africa today, Gary Player was in the studio for a while. He mentioned that yesterday, at 82 years-old, he shot a round of 70 where he dind't miss a single fairway.

He attributed this to the fact that he had found the proper way to get the club in position in the backswing. He said on the takeaway that the hands go in and the clubhead goes out, can anyone explain how this works??

He also said that the club should point down the line at the top and NOT laid off.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#2 Yff Theos

Yff Theos

    Member

  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 483204
  • Joined: 09/30/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 33

Posted 09 November 2017 - 12:40 PM

Different swings for differently aged bodies. When he was 30 he was laid-off and his takeaway was not as he describes now.

2

#3 Millbrook

Millbrook

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 216859
  • Joined: 12/20/2012
  • Location:East Yorkshire UK
GolfWRX Likes : 389

Posted 09 November 2017 - 12:46 PM

Do you think he means not rolling the lead arm?
All comments are made from the point of
view of my learning and not a claim
to expertise.

3

#4 Saltire

Saltire

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 217075
  • Joined: 12/21/2012
GolfWRX Likes : 21

Posted 09 November 2017 - 12:54 PM

View PostYff Theos, on 09 November 2017 - 12:40 PM, said:

Different swings for differently aged bodies. When he was 30 he was laid-off and his takeaway was not as he describes now.

Correct, he did say it had taken him 72 years to learn the correct backswing movement.

4

#5 dlygrisse

dlygrisse

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,748 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16702
  • Joined: 07/21/2006
  • Location:Kansas
GolfWRX Likes : 4766

Posted 09 November 2017 - 12:57 PM

Sounds like he is just maintaining the triangle.  Probably similar to the Jim Waldron thread.  

The real lesson here is that an 9 time major winner is still working on his swing.  No one ever perfects anything.

Callaway GBB 11.5
Callaway V Series 3w, HW
Callaway X Hot2 9 wood
Ping G 4-U
Miura 53 Y grind
Vokey 58 M grind
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Ping Hoofer
ECCO x4

5

#6 sethdavidsdad

sethdavidsdad

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 105964
  • Joined: 04/07/2010
  • Handicap:4.0
GolfWRX Likes : 374

Posted 09 November 2017 - 12:57 PM

It is combination not rolling the forearms too early and working the hands in at the start
Epic 10.5* Diamana D+ 70X
TM Mini driver 14*
TM Jetspeed 5 wood, TM 4 Hybrid
Mizuno MP5 P-5 Nippon 120x
Ping Ketsch slight arch
Ping Glide Wedges 52,56,60
WITB Link
@golfingasu

6

#7 dwboston

dwboston

    Major Winner

  • Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,830 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 51575
  • Joined: 03/16/2008
  • Ebay ID:dwboston1
GolfWRX Likes : 409

Posted 09 November 2017 - 01:29 PM

View Postsethdavidsdad, on 09 November 2017 - 12:57 PM, said:

It is combination not rolling the forearms too early and working the hands in at the start

This.  In one of the first lessons I took, the pro advocated keeping the clubhead outside the hands on the way back.  The feeling to do this (for me) is: trail arm "above" lead arm on the backswing...or don't roll the forearms early.   The problem I had executing it then was not understanding the wrist set and how it played a role, and the pro at the time didn't talk about that - he had me almost throwing the club up from that point, which felt really unnatural.

Monte covers this in his video on the three components of the backswing - blending the wrist set with lead forearm rotation and shoulder turn.  My biggest struggle with my swing is rolling the forearms early.  I think one of my main issues has been thinking about the backswing and wrist set in too much of a "2D" fashion, if that makes sense.  It's occurred to me that my understanding of the vertical wrist set has been wrong, and it has led me to roll my forearms to get my hands to a position where vertical only means "up" in a 2D way, as opposed to vertical meaning "up and back towards me".  When I do it the wrong way, the clubhead is inside my hands at waist-high, but it's outside them if I do it correctly.

Apologies if this was rambling or off-topic, but I've been thinking about the clubhead in relation to the hands and the wrist set a lot recently.
Titleist 917 D2 10.5*, GD AD DI 7S | Titleist 915F 16.5*, GD AD DI 8S | Titleist 915 H 21*, GD AD DI 105S
Miura LH CB, 4-PW, Recoil Proto 125 F4 | Vokey SM6 52.08F, 60.12K, TVD-K 56.12, Recoil Proto 125 F4
Lajosi Bayzie HSM, 34"/360g

7

#8 fillwelix

fillwelix

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 249866
  • Joined: 05/10/2013
  • Location:New Jersey
  • Handicap:7.5
GolfWRX Likes : 122

Posted 09 November 2017 - 01:39 PM

Sounds a lot like Ryan Moore
WITB
Taylormade M1 2016 9.5*
Taylormade M2 2016 3HL
Mizuno JPX 900 Tour 3-PW
Titleist Vokey SM6 50* 54* 58*
Byron Morgan DH89

8

#9 PJ1120

PJ1120

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 154487
  • Joined: 01/12/2012
  • Location:Southern Cal
GolfWRX Likes : 113

Posted 09 November 2017 - 01:46 PM

Funny....just had a lesson yesterday and this is exactly what he had me working on. I have a tendency to whip the club inside and get really laid off off at the top. He wanted me to keep the triangle intact early and then go vertical. Pushing down on my left thumb with my right palm was something he wanted me to try. Right arm higher than left, hands in, and club head out. Haven't taken it to the course yet. Really hard to get the brain focused on hands in and club head out.......like rubbing your tummy and patting your forehead.

9

#10 Saltire

Saltire

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 217075
  • Joined: 12/21/2012
GolfWRX Likes : 21

Posted 09 November 2017 - 01:48 PM

Thanks for the inputs, I think I have a picture of what he means now. Player was pretty adamant that this was the way to go!


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#11 Yff Theos

Yff Theos

    Member

  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 483204
  • Joined: 09/30/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 33

Posted 09 November 2017 - 02:02 PM

View PostSaltire, on 09 November 2017 - 12:54 PM, said:

View PostYff Theos, on 09 November 2017 - 12:40 PM, said:

Different swings for differently aged bodies. When he was 30 he was laid-off and his takeaway was not as he describes now.

Correct, he did say it had taken him 72 years to learn the correct backswing movement.

It is only his actual opinion. When he was young he mimicked Hogan and Snead. I can see all-time greats had sometimes inside takeaway, no one of them had it considerably outside one.

11

#12 moehogan

moehogan

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 63462
  • Joined: 08/16/2008
  • Location:Cincinnati, OH
GolfWRX Likes : 146

Posted 09 November 2017 - 02:18 PM

Here's a simple but effective way to get it done ... in the takeaway rotate your right forearm counterclockwise (CCW) against the left forearm trying to rotate clockwise (CW) as you move your hands inside.  This will produce a neutral condition keeping the clubhead outside the hands and the clubface square to the arc.  These aren't massive torques, but rather just enough pressure to accomplish the goal.

As the right arm begins to fold in the 2nd half of the BS, let those windings relax or dissipate and in transition reverse them, right CW, left CCW.  Works like a charm!

79afb2678f809812089b31f1fcd5c1de_zps4421ab59.jpg

Edited by moehogan, 09 November 2017 - 02:24 PM.


12

#13 TTGolf77

TTGolf77

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 464848
  • Joined: 04/24/2017
  • Location:Pittsburgh, PA
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 09 November 2017 - 02:19 PM

View PostYff Theos, on 09 November 2017 - 12:40 PM, said:

Different swings for differently aged bodies. When he was 30 he was laid-off and his takeaway was not as he describes now.

Thereís nothing about his age that makes his new takeaway better. Thereís lots of of young pros using the club outside the hands takeaway.

13

#14 iteachgolf

iteachgolf

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,697 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14489
  • Joined: 04/30/2006
  • Location:Jacksonville, FL
GolfWRX Likes : 5013

Posted 09 November 2017 - 02:30 PM

They are both working in.  The clubhead is staying outside the hands until parallel to the ground.   Clubhead isnít working out.

14

#15 Reidman

Reidman

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 81356
  • Joined: 04/27/2009
  • Location:Austin, TX
  • Handicap:3.7
  • Ebay ID:reidman12
GolfWRX Likes : 61

Posted 09 November 2017 - 02:35 PM

Does this describe the takeaway mentioned above?

https://www.golfdige...ir-4-fast-fixes

Video version

https://www.youtube....h?v=nLcxe5XfTqs

Ping G400 Whiteboard D+ Stiff
Ping G400 14.5, 18 Tour 75 Stiff
Srixon 745 4-SW PX LZ 6.0
Cleveland RTX3 LW
Odyssey O Works #7
Callaway Chrome Soft

15

#16 PJ1120

PJ1120

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 154487
  • Joined: 01/12/2012
  • Location:Southern Cal
GolfWRX Likes : 113

Posted 09 November 2017 - 02:37 PM

View Postiteachgolf, on 09 November 2017 - 02:30 PM, said:

They are both working in.  The clubhead is staying outside the hands until parallel to the ground.   Clubhead isn't working out.

So at P2 is the club head on the toe line or outside of it?

16

#17 glk

glk

    send it in jerome

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 336135
  • Joined: 08/25/2014
  • Location:Kodak, Tn/Chucktown, Sc via Chicago & Burgh
GolfWRX Likes : 4170

Posted 09 November 2017 - 02:41 PM

Been posted lots of times here - from FWP



17

#18 iteachgolf

iteachgolf

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,697 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14489
  • Joined: 04/30/2006
  • Location:Jacksonville, FL
GolfWRX Likes : 5013

Posted 09 November 2017 - 02:46 PM

View PostPJ1120, on 09 November 2017 - 02:37 PM, said:

View Postiteachgolf, on 09 November 2017 - 02:30 PM, said:

They are both working in.  The clubhead is staying outside the hands until parallel to the ground.   Clubhead isn't working out.

So at P2 is the club head on the toe line or outside of it?

Clubhead might be.  It just means itís a bit outside hands.  

Like this
https://instagram.com/p/BZwDIX4FNqW/

18

#19 PJ1120

PJ1120

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 154487
  • Joined: 01/12/2012
  • Location:Southern Cal
GolfWRX Likes : 113

Posted 09 November 2017 - 02:46 PM

View Postglk, on 09 November 2017 - 02:41 PM, said:

Been posted lots of times here - from FWP



Why can't I see these attachments? There is an X in the upper left corner.

19

#20 BottleCap

BottleCap

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132067
  • Joined: 06/30/2011
  • Location:SoCal
GolfWRX Likes : 209

Posted 09 November 2017 - 06:11 PM

Maybe it's you're workplace internet policy, i can't look at instagram or twitter, I can see Youtube, but I can't hear Youtube.

Titleist 915 D3 10.5 Kuro Kage XM 60 S
Titleist 915F 15 Fubuki J 70 S
Titleist 714 MB 3-PW DG S300
Vokey SM6 54S and 60K
Cameron Newport 2 CT

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#21 eddie3392

eddie3392

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6355
  • Joined: 09/30/2005
  • Location:Kentucky
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 13 November 2017 - 11:18 AM

Is everyone using their dominant side or shoulders to start the takeaway? Is there a feel that will help accomplish this type of takeaway?

21

#22 HitEmTrue

HitEmTrue

    @HitEmTrue1

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,434 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 93756
  • Joined: 09/04/2009
  • Location:North Texas
GolfWRX Likes : 1425

Posted 13 November 2017 - 02:40 PM

Michael talks about it within the first minute.

< edit >
Oops, didn't see that this had already been posted in the thread.

Edited by HitEmTrue, 14 November 2017 - 06:46 PM.


22

#23 getitdaily

getitdaily

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 479556
  • Joined: 08/19/2017
  • Location:FL
  • Handicap:2
GolfWRX Likes : 119

Posted 14 November 2017 - 05:28 PM

Basically kuchar's takeaway

23

#24 aggiegolfer21

aggiegolfer21

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 479052
  • Joined: 08/15/2017
  • Location:New Mexico
  • Handicap:1.6
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 16 November 2017 - 11:43 AM

Maintaining the triangle is one way of putting it.  "Hands go in club goes out" is just a way of explainig how to keep the club in front of your chest.  To find the perfect position for when the club is parallel to the ground in the backswing, stand straight up with your club out in front of you. Rotate your shoulders 90 degrees to the right, allowing the club to travel with you, then bend forward from the hips into the posture you would take for your swing.  If done correctly, the club face should be pointed a little towards the ground (the angle of the leading edge should match your spine angle) and neither your hands nor the club head should be behind your chest.

24

#25 adogg18

adogg18

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 428462
  • Joined: 06/08/2016
  • Location:Eastern NC
  • Handicap:4.8
GolfWRX Likes : 18

Posted 16 November 2017 - 11:59 AM

View Postglk, on 09 November 2017 - 02:41 PM, said:

Been posted lots of times here - from FWP



Yeap, that's my problem. My hands leave the body on the take away, then as he said in the video, that results in an off plane laid off swing.

I plan to work on this through the winter.


25

#26 jpcortese

jpcortese

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 69656
  • Joined: 11/22/2008
  • Location:Illinois
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted Yesterday, 08:43 AM

View Postmoehogan, on 09 November 2017 - 02:18 PM, said:

Here's a simple but effective way to get it done ... in the takeaway rotate your right forearm counterclockwise (CCW) against the left forearm trying to rotate clockwise (CW) as you move your hands inside.  This will produce a neutral condition keeping the clubhead outside the hands and the clubface square to the arc.  These aren't massive torques, but rather just enough pressure to accomplish the goal.

As the right arm begins to fold in the 2nd half of the BS, let those windings relax or dissipate and in transition reverse them, right CW, left CCW.  Works like a charm!

Attachment 79afb2678f809812089b31f1fcd5c1de_zps4421ab59.jpg


I have a problem of taking the club far inside in the back swing with too open of a club face and my pro told me that to keep the club head outside the hands I should focus on feeling that I am taking the club head back heel first in the back swing.  I have to rotate my forearms counterclockwise to do this.  Is that basically what you are saying?  In doing so I had to neutralize my grip to keep from hitting big hooks cause the club face was closed and my left wrist was bowed.

26

#27 moehogan

moehogan

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 63462
  • Joined: 08/16/2008
  • Location:Cincinnati, OH
GolfWRX Likes : 146

Posted Yesterday, 10:30 AM

View Postjpcortese, on 17 November 2017 - 08:43 AM, said:

View Postmoehogan, on 09 November 2017 - 02:18 PM, said:

Here's a simple but effective way to get it done ... in the takeaway rotate your right forearm counterclockwise (CCW) against the left forearm trying to rotate clockwise (CW) as you move your hands inside.  This will produce a neutral condition keeping the clubhead outside the hands and the clubface square to the arc.  These aren't massive torques, but rather just enough pressure to accomplish the goal.

As the right arm begins to fold in the 2nd half of the BS, let those windings relax or dissipate and in transition reverse them, right CW, left CCW.  Works like a charm!

Attachment 79afb2678f809812089b31f1fcd5c1de_zps4421ab59.jpg


I have a problem of taking the club far inside in the back swing with too open of a club face and my pro told me that to keep the club head outside the hands I should focus on feeling that I am taking the club head back heel first in the back swing.  I have to rotate my forearms counterclockwise to do this.  Is that basically what you are saying?  In doing so I had to neutralize my grip to keep from hitting big hooks cause the club face was closed and my left wrist was bowed.
Nope, that actually would be more of an Abe Mitchell type move with both forearms rotating the same direction in the takeaway closing the clubface.  What I'm calling out is more of a Hoganesque move where the forearms are wound in OPPOSITE directions in the takeaway (left-CW, right-CCW) keeping the clubface SQUARE to the clubhead path in the takeaway.  Those opposing torques or pressures are relaxed as the right arm starts to fold in the 2nd part of the BS allowing the clubface to open.

27

#28 Saltire

Saltire

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 217075
  • Joined: 12/21/2012
GolfWRX Likes : 21

Posted Yesterday, 06:22 PM

To me this feels like I'm taking the club back with a very closed clubface? Would this be a correct feeling?

28

#29 wmblake2000

wmblake2000

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,813 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 33930
  • Joined: 07/07/2007
  • Location:Los Angeles
GolfWRX Likes : 1965

Posted Yesterday, 07:17 PM

View Postiteachgolf, on 09 November 2017 - 02:46 PM, said:

View PostPJ1120, on 09 November 2017 - 02:37 PM, said:

View Postiteachgolf, on 09 November 2017 - 02:30 PM, said:

They are both working in.  The clubhead is staying outside the hands until parallel to the ground.   Clubhead isn't working out.

So at P2 is the club head on the toe line or outside of it?

Clubhead might be.  It just means it's a bit outside hands.  

Like this
https://instagram.com/p/BZwDIX4FNqW/

Nice swing
Callaway Epic 10.5 Stock
Cobra Baffler 4-5 Stock
Callway xhot 3 h stock
Miura Small Blades, Modus 105R 3-W
Titleist T-MB, Modus 105S, 3-W
Fourteen mt28v3 52,58
DelaCruz B2 Sweet Slot Putter

29

#30 zoots

zoots

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 241273
  • Joined: 03/27/2013
GolfWRX Likes : 149

Posted Today, 12:24 AM

From the man himself

https://youtu.be/wZkxmr2wMyU?t=14m30s


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

30



1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors