Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Bandon in Early January...?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 hmrunkle

hmrunkle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 449054
  • Handicap:9.5
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 09 November 2017 - 11:39 AM

The old lady is headed on a trip with the gals in early January. Naturally I started thinking of where I can take off on my own to golf. She could've picked a better time of year but I'll take what I can get. Initially I started thinking of warm weather options but none of them really excited me (Florida & Arizona) and I'm already going to Palm Desert in December for a family trip. I've always wanted to play Bandon and the rates are ultra low in the winter (for good reason) so this idea started creeping into my head about giving it a go. I've heard countless people rave about Bandon for obvious reasons which I don't need to repeat, but I have some questions...

- Is going to play at Bandon in early January crazy / worth it? The weather is my primary concern

- Is it possible it would be too cold to play? Could a day be completely rained out or is the rain there more drizzly where I could play through it?

- I'd likely be going this trip solo rather than a group of guys, would I still enjoy it? Is there a place on property people congregate for dinner drinks etc? It seems ultra remote like I would have the resort and nothing else

Truthfully, I can't really afford to pay high season rates so this might be my only chance (for now) to play there). Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 buzlin

buzlin

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 42529
  • Handicap:7.0
  • Ebay ID:Buzlin
GolfWRX Likes : 678

Posted 09 November 2017 - 12:32 PM

hm,

repost this in the northwest forum.  lots of members with a wealth of information, and enthusiasm for Bandon, myself included.

Winter generally has lower temps, more rain, but less wind.  I too can't really afford to go in high season, so I've only been in December, Feb, and April (once).  The weather is so variable, I couldn't say one trip was better than the others.  I have dealt with frost delays in December, but generally it's not an issue.  Definitely have top quality rain gear, head to toe.

Solo is a great way to go, don't let that dissuade you.  Lots of great guests and staff to keep you company.

Check out all the threads in the Northwest forum!

Edited by buzlin, 09 November 2017 - 12:32 PM.

913 D3, 9.5, D stiff
915F 15, Rogue Black stiff
913H, 19, 22.5, Tour Green stiff
Mizuno MP18 fli hi (5,6), SC (7-pw), KBS Tour stiff (or Tourstage 909 5-pw)
Vokey, SM6, 50F, 54S, 58M
Never Compromise Portofino

#3 hmrunkle

hmrunkle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 449054
  • Handicap:9.5
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 09 November 2017 - 12:35 PM

Thanks for the advice! Will do

#4 007iron

007iron

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 393318
  • Handicap:9
GolfWRX Likes : 39

Posted 09 November 2017 - 08:42 PM

I’ve been in the middle of January once and we had 3 great days and one day with a morning downpour and the afternoon was good. Obviously you’re risking wash out but I’ve been in awful weather at Bandon and on those days you play and then get back to your room to lay your clothes out to dry to do it again the next day.

As long as you’ve got quality rain gear and know what you’re signing up for you’ll have a blast.

I’ve been on two solo Bandon trips and two with family/friends. Played all but one round paired up with others and everyone I’ve played with has been great; it’s a bunch of enthusiasts who make the trek to the Oregon coast.  And there’s a good chance you’ll be able to join someone you meet for dinner or if you’re at the bar at McKee’s you’ll likely have friendly people to chat with. And the bunker bar has action every night; smoke cigars and play cards or shoot pool or dice.

If you’ve been eyeing a trip to Bandon and the finances and availability are lining up for a winter trip it’s worth the gamble of bad weather. Enjoy and post a trip report!

#5 mallrat

mallrat

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 122361
GolfWRX Likes : 1082

Posted 10 November 2017 - 02:06 AM

First off, JUST GO.

A couple points, any time from Oct - April odds are you are getting rained on. But hereís the thing, iíve Never heard a person complain about it. If you go for 3 days you will most likely get a rainy day, a day off and on of drizzle and a day itís supposed to rain that sneaks up near 55-60* and is one of the funnest days you will ever have on the course.

Yes it will be cold but prepare for it and you will be more than fine. A great set of rain gear and a decent set of waterproof stuff. I prefer a caddie in the winter, especially solo. 2 or 3 good pairs of shoes. A good beanie and bucket hat and something for your hands. For your hands we all do something different, personally I wear one of those NFL style hand warmers that go around your waist and kinda look like a fanny pack with those little packets for each 9. Just slide it around back to hit and slide it around front when walking again.

GO BY YOURSELF and donít look back. I have gone 5 times by myself and 5 times with groups. I have just as much fun by myself but in a different way. You canít have as much fun at Preserve or Punchbowl but it is all about golf and you can do whatever you want. It also opens most days up for 36 instead of 18 because you can haul butt between courses and are not held up by a group. Play 18 early and then even if you have to take a non guaranteed tee time you will probably still make it in. You can go to the jacuzzi or eat where you want, when you want. Stop on the way down and buy a nice rolled one from the herb store and sleep very soundly.

Bottom line go, you wonít regret it in any way.

In 10 trips over 11 years I have been rained out once and played once in conditions that could have been considered rained out. But very rarely do they have days that get over an inch of rain. We actually were winded out, the rain wasnít a huge deal but the 50+ mph winds are what made us decide that round was a no go.

#6 Edaw68

Edaw68

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 309951
  • Handicap:5
GolfWRX Likes : 708

Posted 10 November 2017 - 02:34 AM

I've done trips in November, December, January, and February, and the best weather I had was for the January trip.  Any winter trips will rely on a bit of luck, because it could just as easily be awful. I highly recommend going though, the January rates can't be beat.  If you look in the northwest forum I posted a trip report on the January trip. It was 2015 if I recall.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors