Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

What is the largest group you have played in?

39 replies to this topic

#31 klebs01

klebs01

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 107880
  • Handicap:3.2
GolfWRX Likes : 123

Posted 13 November 2017 - 09:16 AM

Iíve played in 16+ somes, but usually that is one club or alternate shot or something so itís quick. Sucks playing in a big group like that and getting held up by a 4 some.

We play a lot of 5s and 6s early and lat in the year when tee times get messed up with late sunrises and frost delays. Donít do anything different and still get around in under 4 hours. Not really a big deal, but the games may change a bit.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#32 bazinky

bazinky

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 33287
GolfWRX Likes : 538

Posted 13 November 2017 - 09:25 AM

Llortamaisey, on 09 November 2017 - 11:54 AM, said:

I have played in a shootout that starts with 10 teams of two, 20 guys total on the first hole. Of course teams get eliminated each hole so it doesn’t remain that large of a group for long.

Played in several like that. Always alternate shot format, however. First hole usually takes at least 40 minutes. Can't imagine what it would be like if played best-ball ...
Cobra LTD @10.5 - UST Elements Chrome 6F4
Titleist 917 F2 16.5 @C1 (15.75) - MRC D+ Limited 80 S
Callaway X2Hot Pro @20 - Aldila Tour Green 75 S
Callaway X2Hot Pro @23 - Aldila Tour Green 75 S
Ping i20 5-UW - KBS Tour S - Yellow Dot
Ping Glide 54 SS - CFS Wedge S - Blue Dot
Ping Glide 58 ES - CFS Wedge S - Black Dot
Titleist Studio Select Newport 2 - 33"

#33 dereckbc

dereckbc

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 211461
GolfWRX Likes : 28

Posted 13 November 2017 - 01:28 PM

At my club SLOW PLAY is not TOLERATED anymore. No more than a foursome is allowed to play together, no exceptions. If you fall behind the group in front of you, the Marshall will have you pick up your balls, and catch up with the group in front of you. If you fall behind again, you are booted off the course and not allowed to play again for 1 week.

Yeah it is a tough club. Younger members got sick and tired of 5 and 6 hour rounds. About two years ago, the two old fossils died off that occupied the club's President and Treasury positions. Once they were gone, the rules changed. We did loose about 2 dozen members in protest. more old fossils that cannot keep up. However we gained at least another 50 members now that rounds are no longer than 4 hours.

Our club and many clubs work like the goberment. Example 30 years ago you would have been laughed of the face of the planet suggesting to legalize marijuana. Well today after 30 years of programming youth in our schools telling them that smoking ganja is OK, all that was left was waiting for the Baby Boomers to die off and change the rules. God help us when the snowflake Millennials are in power.

#34 augustgolf

augustgolf

Golf with dignity

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,171 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 438244
  • Handicap:0
  • Ebay ID:augustgolf
GolfWRX Likes : 2194

Posted 13 November 2017 - 01:43 PM

Used to play a real big money game with anywhere from 4-12 players. First thing in the spring, and/or last thing in the fall. Everyone had their own cart, so there was not driving back and forth dropping off a player with his clubs, etc, and there were enough eyes to make sure funny business wasn't going on.

Had some great old gamblers, state open winners, junior and senior champs, and little old me. It was a cheap education.

fun times, long forgotten, and probably never again initiated.

Thanks for the mammaries
Pings from the beginning

OGA member 1415
or is it 1514...
I don't remember exactly

#35 Carl Spackler3

Carl Spackler3

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 136528
GolfWRX Likes : 273

Posted 14 November 2017 - 09:39 AM

4 as the lord has intended

#36 hebsan

hebsan

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 103660
GolfWRX Likes : 341

Posted 14 November 2017 - 10:11 AM

Just got back from Thailand and played in a 9-some.  Played with the owner of the course, so obviously no problems regarding slow play.  It did get to be a bit too much with balls flying everywhere and the group was split after 9 holes.  It was probably a good thing, as I don't know if we would have finished before dark it we didn't.

#37 VNutz

VNutz

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,571 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 116888
GolfWRX Likes : 2330

Posted 14 November 2017 - 10:15 AM

I've played in an 8 man scramble before, two 4 man teams to keep groups from cheating. It was awful. I also played as an 8-some for a 9 hole bachelor party outing. A ranger came by and told us it was an embarrassment to see that on the course, one of my buddies replied that it was embarrassing to see a course empty enough on a Saturday afternoon that it was no issue, heck we caught people.

But the most ever for me was this past weekend, 12 deep at The Preserve at Bandon Dunes. Such a cool little course, guys all over the place.

#38 PlayingThrough824

PlayingThrough824

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 486186
  • Handicap:5
GolfWRX Likes : 27

Posted 17 November 2017 - 10:50 AM

6 is the biggest for me, but that was combining 2 groups of 3 for the last 5 holes on an empty course. Saw a group of 7 get sent off the first tee at my old club middle of a Sunday. Couldn't believe it actually considering there were groups waiting to tee off behind them,

#39 youraway2

youraway2

Just Old Sticks

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,028 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 25945
  • Handicap:7
  • Ebay ID:youraway
GolfWRX Likes : 240

Posted Today, 08:06 AM

Heard that at one time about 50 players played sudden death at a lighted par 3 in Pensacola.  They would all throw into a hat and tee off. Last man standing would win it all.  One player mentioned that it was rub of the green when your ball was going right at the hole, only to hit another ball and bounce your ball and maybe the other off the green. They did not replace the ball at rest on the green either, since so many balls might be on the green you wouldn't know who's ball your ball hit. No stymies, and it took awhile to putt out the first hole. Also heard the field was reduced quickly. Maybe someone, and I believe a few are now on tour, on this board was there?  Chime in!

#40 Sean2

Sean2

#TheWRX (Callaway Trip)

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 26,212 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29539
  • Ebay ID:None
GolfWRX Likes : 12885

Posted Today, 03:23 PM

Today I played 9 holes. There were 6 of us walking, and no one else on the course, except a 3some a few holes ahead. It only took 2 hours.

Callaway GBB Epic 11º / Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana M+ 40 R
Callaway GBB Epic 16º / 20º / 24º Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana M+ 50
Callaway CF16 / 6--AW / UST Recoil ES 460 F4
Callaway Forged and MD-PM 54º / 58º / 62º UST Recoil ES 460 F4

Callaway Odyssey O Works Tank #7

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors