Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Driver Lofts

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 darter79

darter79

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66967
GolfWRX Likes : 43

Posted 07 November 2017 - 10:01 AM

I recently have begun researching different OEM dirvers and what might be best suited for my junior.  I've read a lot about loft, and low spinning drivers that are out there today.  I refuse to spend a ton of money on a professonal fitting and most local places don't have shafts where we can hit them. (see my previous post about juniors and demos).  What loft are your juniors currently using. I am an eye ball test when it comes to ball flight always have been even with my own game.  From what I understand and her instructor agrees with me she seems to be a hight launch high spin player. I am leaning towards and 12 degree head. (Ping, TaylorMade are my two front runners).  What is y'alls experence with loft and driver heads.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 leezer99

leezer99

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
GolfWRX Likes : 153

Posted 07 November 2017 - 10:27 AM

We use a Ping 11° driver that can go up or down 1°  in 1/2° increments that is currently set at 11.5°.  He has been launching them pretty high lately so we had planned on experimenting on the range after school today.

#3 tiger1873

tiger1873

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 340777
GolfWRX Likes : 87

Posted 07 November 2017 - 11:17 AM

Look for the highest lofts you can find.  A lot of this is going to depend on Swing Speed. My wife uses a 14 degree driver and it works well for her. My daughter uses a 10 degree and that works really good for her.

You also have to consider the courses your playing too and the roll that works best. For instance here in Texas fairways can be hard so we have found that too much roll can get you in trouble.  There really is no cut and dry here.  Too much loft though is a bad thing and you can usually tell it is a problem because the ball "pops" way too much in the air.

If you have no idea and do not want to pay for a  fitting my suggestion is to go to a free demo day.

They should have everything there you need. If you buying used I would go for a 12 degree driver.  Also be careful about buying adjustable drivers because some just open and close the face and actually will cause more problems  when you adjust them.

Edited by tiger1873, 07 November 2017 - 11:47 AM.

#4 tiger1873

tiger1873

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2017 - 11:44 AM

Here is a great video on adjustable lofts for drivers from Tom Wishon.

https://www.youtube....5&v=aj5KOk2oXU0

#5 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
GolfWRX Likes : 792

Posted 07 November 2017 - 11:45 AM

tiger1873, on 07 November 2017 - 11:17 AM, said:

Look for the highest lofts you can find.  A lot of this is going to depend on Swing Speed. My wife uses a 14 degree driver and it works well for her. My daughter uses a 10 degree and that works really good for her.

My daughter easily swings above 90 mph so this seems to work well. My wife is probably 60 mph and that is why the higher loft works good.

You also have to consider the courses your playing too and the roll that works best. For instance here in Texas fairways can be hard so we have found that too much roll can get you in trouble.  There really is no cut and dry here.  Too much loft though is a bad thing and you can usually tell it is a problem because the ball "pops" way too much in the air.

If you have no idea and do not want to pay for a  fitting my suggestion is to go to a free demo day.

They should have everything there you need. If you buying used I would go for a 12 degree driver.  Also be careful about buying adjustable drivers because some just open and close the face and actually will cause more problems  when you adjust them.

Is your daughter in a mens stiff flexed shaft?

#6 tiger1873

tiger1873

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2017 - 12:00 PM

heavy_hitter, on 07 November 2017 - 11:45 AM, said:

My daughter easily swings above 90 mph so this seems to work well. My wife is probably 60 mph and that is why the higher loft works good.

Is your daughter in a mens stiff flexed shaft?

no she still uses regular mens flex. We are still using her driver she started with in the spring so haven't looked at getting her a new shaft yet. We do that in the spring usually. Her speed has really increased the last few months.

She still playing from the women tee's so with her it hasn't been an issue if she goes a little too high then all out distance.  Too much roll around here is bad because the ground can be like concrete.

#7 darter79

darter79

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2017 - 02:56 PM

The only reason to consider the adjustability is the ease of use when trying shafts. Other wise no plan to adjust the loft setting. With juniors just unless you invest in sample shafts no easy way to get fitted.

#8 tiger1873

tiger1873

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2017 - 03:16 PM

The demo days I been too all had different shaft lengths you could use and would screw it into the different driver heads for you.  They can usually accommodate petite women. The other nice thing is they usually have a trackman setup. If nothing else you can use their current clubs and actually use that data to help build clubs. Getting their smash factor, ball speed and swing speed will be a huge help in getting it pretty close.

If your junior is less then 60 inches you going to need a very soft flex most likely ladies shaft anyways.

#9 darter79

darter79

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2017 - 03:33 PM

tiger1873, on 07 November 2017 - 03:16 PM, said:

The demo days I been too all had different shaft lengths you could use and would screw it into the different driver heads for you.  They can usually accommodate petite women. The other nice thing is they usually have a trackman setup. If nothing else you can use their current clubs and actually use that data to help build clubs. Getting their smash factor, ball speed and swing speed will be a huge help in getting it pretty close.

If your junior is less then 60 inches you going to need a very soft flex most likely ladies shaft anyways.

She’s 54 inches so her current driver plays 36 inches so almost impossible to find a demo shaft that length.  I’ve called several retailers and small mom-and-pop golf shops that nobody has anything comparable.

The only thing I know to do is pick A driver and buy a few shafts and try to experiment some and resell what doesn’t work

#10 leezer99

leezer99

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
GolfWRX Likes : 153

Posted 07 November 2017 - 03:59 PM

darter79, on 07 November 2017 - 03:33 PM, said:

She’s 54 inches so her current driver plays 36 inches so almost impossible to find a demo shaft that length.  I’ve called several retailers and small mom-and-pop golf shops that nobody has anything comparable.

The only thing I know to do is pick A driver and buy a few shafts and try to experiment some and resell what doesn’t work

FWIW, MGS is putting together a review on shafts pretty soon.  They partnered with Cool Clubs (where my boy was fit) to use their S3 shaft system.  It will be really interesting to see what comes out of it.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 Golfingdawg19

Golfingdawg19

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 354301
GolfWRX Likes : 35

Posted 07 November 2017 - 04:48 PM

My daughter is 10 and she has a Cobra F7 junior driver and it’s 39” in length. That driver comes with a free one time shaft upgrade so whenever she outgrows the current shaft, they will send me a new one. She is 55 inches and her old driver was 36” but the added length of her new driver hasn’t caused any issues. You may want to look at that Cobra driver simply because of the free shaft upgrade.

#12 darter79

darter79

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2017 - 06:05 PM

Golfingdawg19, on 07 November 2017 - 04:48 PM, said:

My daughter is 10 and she has a Cobra F7 junior driver and it’s 39” in length. That driver comes with a free one time shaft upgrade so whenever she outgrows the current shaft, they will send me a new one. She is 55 inches and her old driver was 36” but the added length of her new driver hasn’t caused any issues. You may want to look at that Cobra driver simply because of the free shaft upgrade.

kinda of leaning in that direction due to the shafts elements. Granted your daughter is much older than mine but size wise they are similar is sounds.  How would you compare the differences between the two drivers.

#13 Golfingdawg19

Golfingdawg19

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 354301
GolfWRX Likes : 35

Posted 07 November 2017 - 09:50 PM

Her old driver was a cobra women’s driver that was cut down to 36”. She hit it well but the distance wasn’t there. The deciding factor for me was the fact that there was a free shaft upgrade with the junior Cobra F7. When she first got it, it took a little bit to get used to the driver being 3 inches longer. Her coach didn’t see a problem with the new driver when he saw her hit it. She gained yardage on her drives mainly because the new driver was longer. Cobra has impressed me with their products and how they are marketing clubs to younger kids. As the junior market grows, you will probably see more companies do this.

#14 tiger1873

tiger1873

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2017 - 01:13 PM

I would go with a Aldila NV ladies flex shaft. I went through the same problem with my daughter a few years ago.  At the time the Titliest guy told me to go with the Aldila Ladies flex shaft at 55g. That shaft was great for her. We still are using Adila in her woods  but  stiffer flexes now.  I would then either go with ping or taylormade for the driver. Buy the HL or 14 degree in a senior or ladies flex and you should be good for a little while on drivers.

Edited by tiger1873, 08 November 2017 - 01:17 PM.

#15 Belmont148

Belmont148

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 474430
  • Handicap:16
GolfWRX Likes : 88

Posted 11 November 2017 - 11:39 AM

Golfingdawg19, on 07 November 2017 - 04:48 PM, said:

You may want to check and see if you should go ahead and get the upgrade now. It may have a limit on how long after purchase. I know I ordered my sons F6 with a 39” and went ahead and ordered the 42” free upgrade at the same time knowing that it was going to be his next shaft. We keep it at 12* and haven’t messed with any changes. I figure his swing speed, longer shaft and moving the weight will likely do more for his distance/trajectory as he grows than changing the loft. Once he outgrows the 42”, which he isn’t even in yet as he is 56.5” and 10yo then we will get him fitted into a men’s set. Just don’t get tempted to put a kid into a longer shaft than they need too early. Much better to hit fairways as it gives them confidence than to spray it looking for distance. I see so many juniors chasing the other kids and they don’t realize that even one year and a couple extra inches in height can mean the difference of 30-40 yds. Just let them play their own game with clubs they are comfortable with.

Cobra F7+ Driver 10.5 Aldila Rogue 125 Silver TS 44.5"
Epic SZ 14.5 HZRDUS T800 65 stiff 42"
King Utility 18* CTL R flex
Cobra F6 3 hyb. 19* Aldila Rogue 85H R flex
Cobra Fly Z 4 hyb. 22* Aldila Rogue 85H R flex
Cobra King Forged TEC 5-GW CTL R flex
MD2 Tour 54* and 58* CTL R flex
PM Grind MD3 64* black CTL R flex
Odyssey Versa V Line

#16 killer21

killer21

Killer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 31162
  • Handicap:10
GolfWRX Likes : 24

Posted 11 November 2017 - 11:49 PM

My daughter is 8, and is 53" Tall and uses an M2 10.5* cranked up to 11* with a Flynn Level 2 Shaft with a TM adaptor.
She is a low launch player.
Ping I15 8* Fubuki Tour
X-Hot (2006) Vista Pro 80
X-Hot Pro Hybrids 18, 23
Wilson D100 25* Hybrid
X-Tour S300
Vokey 50, 54, 58

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors