Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Race to Dubai in decline & Failed Roles Series? Or Something else...

44 replies to this topic

#31 JonnyKrasnodar

JonnyKrasnodar

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 440224
GolfWRX Likes : 371

Posted 11 November 2017 - 12:29 PM

100% this. The courses are more interesting than the PGA Tour, there are regularly hot finishes to events and the innovations this year have been refreshing. Whether they work to "grow" the tour is another thing.

I'd like to see the big names playing more as proven this year, any that have have generally struggled. But as they don't need the money they won't put themselves out there.

Can't remember the course but the tournament in India is one of the hardest anywhere in the world.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#32 CrushSticks

CrushSticks

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 194408
  • Ebay ID:Fawkesman3000
GolfWRX Likes : 221

Posted 11 November 2017 - 11:21 PM

View PostDave230, on 11 November 2017 - 12:05 AM, said:

View PostSantiago Golf, on 10 November 2017 - 09:38 PM, said:

View PostCrushSticks, on 10 November 2017 - 09:10 PM, said:

As someone who is an avid golf fan and watches all the major tours( mostly US pga, but I️ dabble in the others) I️ am familiar with most of the players and I️ just can’t get turned on by Euro your golf. I️ still watch because there are some amazing players, but I️ personally am unfamiliar with the courses, don’t see many “rivalries”, and don’t understand the location choices.

I️ mean let’s play more golf in Europe and utilize more of the great Irish and Scottish courses. That would get me watching more.
Many of the courses you are thinking of in Scottland and Ireland have no interest in hosting such events and probably not have any finacial gain

Yeah the courses that used to hold events outside the national Opens were the likes of The K Club, Gleneagles and Mount Juliet, because they had cash to burn. Many of the links courses would have no interest in the effort that goes into hosting a European Tour event.

Alright. But do you disagree with the theory that going to these types of courses would help the tour? Couldn’t the tour work with the courses and get better sponsors to help host events at more well known European courses.

I️ am obviously just spitballing, but one tournament, Dunhill Links, played across three courses just doesn’t seem like enough links style golf for me.
Wilson Fg Tour M3- Black Ops Black Mamba
Adams Tight Lies 3-16
Adams Tight Lies 5-19(Fuji Speeder 7.2)
Wilson FG Tour V4 Utility - 3
                Wilson FG Tour M3 4-GW (Dynamic Gold XP)
                Vokey SM 09 56
Odyssey Versa 1W WBW 34"

#33 Santiago Golf

Santiago Golf

I Strive to make you Better

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,874 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 151005
  • Handicap:???
GolfWRX Likes : 1454

Posted 12 November 2017 - 07:09 AM

View PostCrushSticks, on 11 November 2017 - 11:21 PM, said:

As someone who is an avid golf fan and watches all the major tours( mostly US pga, but I️ dabble in the others) I️ am familiar with most of the players and I️ just can’t get turned on by Euro your golf. I️ still watch because there are some amazing players, but I️ personally am unfamiliar with the courses, don’t see many “rivalries”, and don’t understand the location choices.

I️ mean let’s play more golf in Europe and utilize more of the great Irish and Scottish courses. That would get me watching more.
Many of the courses you are thinking of in Scottland and Ireland have no interest in hosting such events and probably not have any finacial gain

Yeah the courses that used to hold events outside the national Opens were the likes of The K Club, Gleneagles and Mount Juliet, because they had cash to burn. Many of the links courses would have no interest in the effort that goes into hosting a European Tour event.

Alright. But do you disagree with the theory that going to these types of courses would help the tour? Couldn’t the tour work with the courses and get better sponsors to help host events at more well known European courses.

I️ am obviously just spitballing, but one tournament, Dunhill Links, played across three courses just doesn’t seem like enough links style golf for me.
European Tour Links stops
Open Championship
Dunhill Links
Scottish Open
Irish Open
French Open
British Masters
Golf Sixes

So thats 7 events on Links and probably more if you consider some other courses as hybrid links
Driver: Taylormade M2 '17 10.5*; Project X Hazardus Black 6.5 (looking to get a GD Tour AD in the Future)

Fairway, Hybrid Searching!!!!!

Irons: Will be ordering
Titleist 718 AP3 3-4 irons
   718 AP2 5-6 irons
   718 CB 7-9 irons
Lofts: 19, 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42
Length and Lie: -1/4 inch, 2* flat
Shafts: (3) Tour AD DI 95X, (4-9) steelfiber i110 stiff

Wedges: Scratch 47*, 52*, 57*, Custom Ground 62*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 MB (Major Change in the Future)
Ball: Vice Pro Plus Pink

#NoDaysOff

#34 youraway2

youraway2

Just Old Sticks

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 25945
  • Handicap:7
  • Ebay ID:youraway
GolfWRX Likes : 240

Posted 12 November 2017 - 07:00 PM

I guess it's because I'm located in the US, but I find the RTD almost as boring as the FedEx Cup.  Yes it's big money, but for me it does nothing for the game, so I could care less.  I do enjoy the ET in the AM here in the US on early morning Golf Channel.  I get to see courses I never see normally and others that I just think are over-the-top awesome.  I do hate the stupid signage the ET now liters some beautiful holes with, but follow the money.  Maybe if the ET was really an ET, I would be more interested.  For instance thinking the ET will be at Ballybunion next week, or Royal Portrush, etc. would be exciting to me.  I would look forward to great courses, known scenic holes, and perhaps, top competitors.

#35 Dave230

Dave230

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,005 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 252022
GolfWRX Likes : 1758

Posted 12 November 2017 - 08:21 PM

Despite the fact that the top 10 courses in Ireland by Golf Digest are all links courses, Irish Opens has been dominated by parkland courses since the 1990s, which was a shame, although the venues were fine in their own right. The Scottish Open was held at Loch Lomond for 14 years, another parkland. So it's a bit of an improvement to see a three-week links swing now on the European Tour, with the Irish, Scottish and Open all going to be hosted at links courses.

This year, we had Portstewart, Dundonald and Birkdale, it worked quite well I think.

To have more than that in a year? I think it's a bit like grass court tennis, everybody loves Wimbledon, and the grass court season is short but if there were too many grass events, would it be so loved? It might be the same if there were too many weeks on links courses.

Links courses are by the sea, mostly in very remote areas. The Irish Open this year will be in Ballyliffin, which is miles away from an international airport, with dodgy infrastructure around it, and poor roads. It's quite quaint and international tourists would like how peaceful it is there, but somewhere like that is not made to host large international events on a regular basis. Everybody golf fan would love to watch the Scottish Open at Royal Dornoch, but they might not realise just how far up the Highlands that Dornoch actually is.

This is the case for most links courses, in comparison to parkland courses which are often beside major cities. The exception is the Open courses, which have been hosting events for hundreds of years and know how to host a major.

It would be great, personally, to see world-class players in Ireland a few times a year. But I don't think the appetite is there for it given the logistics and bureaucracy that go into hosting an event these days. The European Tour have wisely made the Irish Open a Rolex Series event, I think. That's for their product abroad, it's one of the best attended events every year, and people like the Irish Open. But the European Tour is also dominated by the likes of Turkey and Dubai. Because they fork out the money. No matter how successful an Irish Open is, it will never compete with oil money.

Edited by Dave230, 12 November 2017 - 08:26 PM.

#36 MattyO1984

MattyO1984

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,825 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 59978
  • Handicap:3
GolfWRX Likes : 1984

Posted 13 November 2017 - 11:05 AM

The problem with trying to get more tournaments into the UK and Europe in general is that so much of the sponsorship is coming from outwith the UK and Europe. Heck, even the Irish Open is the Dubai Duty Free Irish Open. With the link and exposure that they get from McIlroy, I am sure that DDF are happy enough with their deal but it's hard to maximise the tournament to your corporate needs if the tournament isn't in your own country and money talks. If a rich Sheikh wanted to put money up for a tournament and he wants the tournaments to be in his bag garden such as Trophee Hassan then that's what they will do.

View PostSantiago Golf, on 12 November 2017 - 07:09 AM, said:

European Tour Links stops
Open Championship
Dunhill Links
Scottish Open
Irish Open
French Open
British Masters
Golf Sixes

So thats 7 events on Links and probably more if you consider some other courses as hybrid links

Except the French Open, British Masters and Golf Sixes were not played on Links courses!
Titleist 917D2 9.5 Stiff Speeder Pro 74
Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black
Titleist 712U 3 Iron Stiff KBS Tour
Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW Stiff KBS Tour
Titleist Vokey SM5 52.08 and 56.10
Titleist Vokey SM6 60.04
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1x

#37 Paul065

Paul065

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 479632
  • Handicap:7
GolfWRX Likes : 67

Posted 13 November 2017 - 12:48 PM

I watch a s*** load of golf, have done since the mid 90's when my family first got Sky tv and I always trend toward the the PGA Tour because of the courses. I'll watch Abu Dhabi, Dubai in February then won't watch another Euro Tour event until the BMW at Wentworth and then not again until the Irish, Scottish, Open 3 week spell. I can't wait until January, just look at this list of courses before we get to Augusta;

Torrey Pines
TPC Scottsdale
Pebble
Riviera
PGA National
Innisbrook
Bay Hill

And then after Augusta up until the US Open;

Harbour Town
Quail Hollow
Sawgrass
Colonial
Murfield Village

12 amazing golf courses right there. Can't think of one Euro Tour venue I would pick over any of those.
Callaway GBB Epic Sub Zero. 9 degree. HZRDUS T800 6.0 55g

Cobra King F7. 14 degree. HZRDUS Yellow 6.0 76g

Mizuno MP 18 Fli Hi 3 iron Project X LZ 6.5 125g

Mizuno MP 18 SC 4-6, MB 7-PW, Project X LZ 6.5 125g

Titleist Vokey SM6: 52 (08) F Grind, 56 (10) S Grind, 58 (12) K Grind

Scotty Cameron Futura 5cb

Titleist Pro V1x (2017)

#38 Mick Douglas

Mick Douglas

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 267748
GolfWRX Likes : 75

Posted 13 November 2017 - 10:46 PM

http://www.europeant...sid=336844.html

These hero events are a great watch, not sure what time it's live in the US but can watch live on Twitter.

For me the euro tour have it all over the PGA for innovative ideas and players with personailites willing to participate.

Does anyone remember little Billy and his interviews with Rory and others? Not sighted for a while I wonder why.

#39 dannyuk32

dannyuk32

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 113980
GolfWRX Likes : 41

Posted 14 November 2017 - 02:55 PM

The Race To Dubai is a complete FLOP.
The courses are mediocre, the playing fields are sporadic for these last events, and the TV coverage (SKY in my case) doesn't embrace what the RTD is all about.
The courses , field and tV coverage for the FED EX cup is far superior.
Now, I know you are going to ask me about the TV covergae.
I was watching Sunday and there were no projected RTD rankings whatsoever. I was trying to make out if Ian Poulter in his current position (at the time) was going to make the top 60 for the final.
Nothing, whatsoever.
And that's for every player!? I mean WTF?
If I was Pelley I'd be thinking .... hmm
You can tell the Sky commentary team do not embrace the Fed Ex \ RTD system, it's obvious.
'Pelley, if SKY can't do it properly give it to BT!
The European tour is going the wrong way for me. These stupid gimmicky things \ hero challenge 'things' that keep popping up.
'The Race to Dubai' .. who made that name up? It's hardly inspring, is it?
Doomed to fail.
Yikes. :(

Edited by dannyuk32, 14 November 2017 - 03:00 PM.

#40 moonshine

moonshine

I'm finally a LTD believer

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 5,790 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 31690
  • Handicap:2.4
GolfWRX Likes : 611

Posted 14 November 2017 - 03:03 PM

Ohhhhhh....OP meant Rolex Series

"We have learned that we must
live as men, not as ostriches, nor
as dogs in the manger." FDR

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#41 dannyuk32

dannyuk32

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 113980
GolfWRX Likes : 41

Posted 14 November 2017 - 03:04 PM

View PostMick Douglas, on 13 November 2017 - 10:46 PM, said:

http://www.europeant...sid=336844.html

These hero events are a great watch, not sure what time it's live in the US but can watch live on Twitter.

For me the euro tour have it all over the PGA for innovative ideas and players with personailites willing to participate.

They are complete cliches, trying too hard. :(

#42 iteachgolf

iteachgolf

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,688 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14489
GolfWRX Likes : 5002

Posted 14 November 2017 - 04:21 PM

View Postdannyuk32, on 14 November 2017 - 02:55 PM, said:

The Race To Dubai is a complete FLOP.
The courses are mediocre, the playing fields are sporadic for these last events, and the TV coverage (SKY in my case) doesn't embrace what the RTD is all about.
The courses , field and tV coverage for the FED EX cup is far superior.
Now, I know you are going to ask me about the TV covergae.
I was watching Sunday and there were no projected RTD rankings whatsoever. I was trying to make out if Ian Poulter in his current position (at the time) was going to make the top 60 for the final.
Nothing, whatsoever.
And that's for every player!? I mean WTF?
If I was Pelley I'd be thinking .... hmm
You can tell the Sky commentary team do not embrace the Fed Ex \ RTD system, it's obvious.
'Pelley, if SKY can't do it properly give it to BT!
The European tour is going the wrong way for me. These stupid gimmicky things \ hero challenge 'things' that keep popping up.
'The Race to Dubai' .. who made that name up? It's hardly inspring, is it?
Doomed to fail.
Yikes. :(

Race to Dubai is season long and not one or a few events.  Think you mean Rolex series, which have produced stronger fields than the same events in years past.  They showed protected rankings more than once in the coverage and itís on their website.  I know because one of my players was on the bubble and I saw the projected numbers scrolled through.

#43 Darth Putter

Darth Putter

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 466932
  • Handicap:10.8
GolfWRX Likes : 1041

Posted 14 November 2017 - 06:30 PM

Sergio isn't exactly selling this to the best of his ability.

http://golfweek.com/...to-dubai-title/
swing is irrelevant, score is everything

just say NO.... to practice swings

#44 NaBUru38

NaBUru38

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 406458
GolfWRX Likes : 80

Posted 15 November 2017 - 07:53 AM

The European Tour lacks prestige.

I would have a minimum US$ 2.0 million purse, all the other tournaments would be moved to the Challenge Tour.

#45 Lancj1

Lancj1

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 378618
  • Handicap:18
  • Ebay ID:Lancj1
GolfWRX Likes : 186

Posted Today, 12:48 PM

Need a world tour. European tour only really "big" when its on the British mainland. Then, its the best there is. Sorry if that offends.

Driver - Callaway XR16 10.5*
Callaway XR 3&5 Woods
Callaway XR Hybrid  4/22
Ping G400 5-LW Green Dot AWT 2.0 R Flex
Taylor Made Spider Tour Platinum

- My 7 iron carries 145 yards with my 73 mph swing speed -

4 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

agentsunday

GolfWRX Sponsors