Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Anyone else played the majority of their career without a membership?

34 replies to this topic

#31 dtm6582

dtm6582

dtm6582

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 122477
  • Ebay ID:dtm6582
GolfWRX Likes : 75

Posted 11 November 2017 - 10:30 AM

I've done private, semi-private, public and public with a pass.  The biggest knock to public regarding golf is access to practice facilities (generally speaking).  If you can find somewhere to practice on a public facility that isn't crazy expensive (there's a muni near me with a decent putting green, two crappy chipping/pitching greens, and a full range) then you won't be missing much on that front.

I actually think that playing many different courses is better for your golf development than playing the same course over and over again.  I played so many rounds on one course when I was a teen I almost didn't need to read putts anymore.  Even today (20 years later) I can go back and play that course and putt exceptionally well. Other courses I struggle to read putts, an issue I partly blame on playing the same course so much in my youth.

I just resigned my CC membership about 6 months ago.  I'm actually playing more now than I was when I had it.  Truth be told I'm playing better too.  When I first joined I was expecting to use the crap out of the practice facilities and golf course.  And I did.  For about 2 months.  Then low and behold, I got bored with the course but didn't feel like playing elsewhere made sense since I was already paying X amount to have the membership.  So I ended up not playing much at all.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#32 Bushwood Country Club

Bushwood Country Club

Bushwood Country Club

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 108065
  • Handicap:8.8
  • Ebay ID:mtlaurel89
GolfWRX Likes : 191

Posted 11 November 2017 - 10:37 AM

View Postlucasplett, on 06 November 2017 - 10:06 PM, said:

I live and play in Vancouver BC, we have a decent length season, but all our public courses are nothing special.

The exclusively private courses in the area are exorbitantly priced.

The semi private courses in the area have never quite seemed worth it between the length it would take me to drive to the course or the price.

So I am resigned to playing at a variety of courses and doing my practicing at many different ranges.

There is no where in the area that I would classify as having a real practice facility.

All these factors added together make me feel like I will progress much slower than someone with a membership.

Anyone else that has never been a member at any course?
I was not a member for the first 12 years I played golf (I started at 30).  Once I joined a club, the quality of the practice facility became a huge deciding factor for me. I completely understand your dilemma.
  • TM 2017 M1 w Hzrdus Yellow 6.0
  • Callaway XR 3 Wood, Hzrdus Red 6.0
  • Callaway XR 5 Wood, Hzrdus Red 6.0
  •                 Callaway XR Hybrid 4/23, Aldila Tour Blue Stiff
  •                 Titleist AP2 5-9, KBS C Taper R+
  •                 Vokey SM6 46/8, 50/12F, 54/14F, 60/12K KBS C Taper R+
  •                 Toulon Garage Austin

#33 Golfnuck

Golfnuck

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 348187
GolfWRX Likes : 277

Posted 11 November 2017 - 09:40 PM

lucasplett - if you live in the City of Vancouver have you consider Seymour Golf Club on the North Shore.

The have now finished the back 9 reno and it is fantastic.

Next year the new driving range will open. They are spending 1.5 million on it so it should be top notch.

They have always had a great short game area.

They have an associate membership category that is reasonable.

You should have a look.

I have posted a bunch of pictures in the Canadian golf course forum.

Edited by Golfnuck, 11 November 2017 - 09:42 PM.

#34 Night Putter

Night Putter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 480898
  • Handicap:10
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 15 November 2017 - 11:56 PM

Twice in my life I've bought houses in incorporated villages w their own 18. While not strictly private, they are restricted to residents (both wealthy towns).
It's the best way to go. No up front charge. Helps the value of the house. Make local friends.
One was 5k unlimited. Current is $2k for weekdays. Both times about a mile from the house.
So many days I go out at 6pm in the summer to just play 9.

#35 daverain1

daverain1

CT Birdieman

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71605
GolfWRX Likes : 30

Posted 20 November 2017 - 09:34 AM

I've been a public course player for 30 years with one exception - I had a 15 round membership to The Course at Yale (until I moved to ATL).  For me it was the best of both - got access to a fantastic course and didn't feel guilty about  playing other places because I was already paying for golf elsewhere.  I play about 50-rounds a year.  Lots of public courses in CT have good practice facilities.

I looked at Private courses in Atlanta and for a course that was worth playing every weekend, it was at least $2K initiation and $400 + a month and cart/trail fees on top of that.  I can play a good selection of nice public courses for less than $50 a round including range balls - wouldn't spend more than $250 a month anywhere and no long term commitment.  

I really think the deal for privates isn't the practice facilities but the family.  My kids are grown, wife doesn't golf.  $400 a month for multiple players and pool, tennis, etc isn't bad for a family as well as the social aspects.  I felt as a solo golfer, I'd just be subsidizing  the families and paying for pools, lifeguards, tennis pros, etc. that had no value for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors