Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Southwest or Florida Golf Resort Recommendation

golf trip resort

  • Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 midnitemink

midnitemink

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 345001
  • Joined: 10/16/2014
  • Location:Chicago area
  • Handicap:13
  • Ebay ID:midnitemink
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 06 November 2017 - 02:19 PM

My brothers and I want to take a golf vacation March 17-20, 2018. We want a resort setting and lodging. It would be best if there was access to more than one course to play. We are experienced players and would appreciate good courses. We want a REASONABLY PRICED stay-and play package. The weather has to be warm. I think that eliminates the upper south at that time of year. Perhaps Arizona, Las Vegas or Southern Florida would be best. A nearby air hub with many reasonably priced flights is probably good. Please share your experience and make your best suggestions. Thank You > paul


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#2 Argonne69

Argonne69

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,333 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102839
  • Joined: 02/01/2010
  • Location:Chicago, IL
GolfWRX Likes : 15935

Posted 06 November 2017 - 03:24 PM

Innisbrook Resort north of Tampa comes to mind. Four courses on site, and World Woods less than an hour north.

Reunion Resort in Orlando is fairly reasonably priced with three decent courses. Plenty of other good courses nearby.

We Ko Pa, Talking Stick, and Camelback in Arizona each have two courses, and plenty of other courses nearly to fill out the schedule.

Indian Wells in Palm Springs.

2

#3 cardoustie

cardoustie

    haha, we don't play for 5's

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,178 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 65255
  • Joined: 09/09/2008
  • Location:Tasmania to Canada
  • Handicap:3.6
GolfWRX Likes : 4930

Posted 06 November 2017 - 03:25 PM

there's a load of solid tracks around Fort Lauderdale and lots of in and out airport options .. .add in West Palm and Miami
TaylorMade '16 m2 11* Fuji Motore TS 6.2x
TaylorMade '17 m1 15* 3HL Fuji TS 8.2s
Callaway GBB '16 3w 17* Fubuki Tour 73x
Callaway Apex 4h & 5h Kuro Kage 80s
PIng s55 6 - PW Nippon Tour 1150GH x
Vokey SM2 50* & 54*M TVD s400
Vokey SM5 58*M & 62*T s400
Titleist Scotty Cameron X7m

3

#4 Flacoman

Flacoman

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 462046
  • Joined: 04/05/2017
  • Location:Ft Lauderdale FL
  • Handicap:999
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 07 November 2017 - 03:45 PM

Innisbrook is lovely. Plenty of golf further south too in Miami & Ft Lauderdale ,and both of those airports are easy to get to. Tampa is about four hours from Miami shoud you want to do Innisbrook also. Ft Myers is about two hours from Miami and has tone of good golf there too. Perhaps a grand tour would work better ?

4

#5 UCFKyle

UCFKyle

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 448444
  • Joined: 12/08/2016
  • Location:Fort Lauderdale
  • Handicap:3
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 08 November 2017 - 09:48 AM

I live in Fort Lauderdale and I would not recommend it for a golf vacation.  If you are looking for a resort atmosphere, you have 3 options in South Florida. Doral - Way overpriced, Turnberry - Also overpriced and PGA National. PGA National would be a good choice as it would be about 3 to 4 weeks after the Honda Classic and should be in good shape. My suggestion is go to Orlando or Tampa. Much better golf options.


5

#6 Argonne69

Argonne69

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,333 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102839
  • Joined: 02/01/2010
  • Location:Chicago, IL
GolfWRX Likes : 15935

Posted 08 November 2017 - 10:08 AM

View PostUCFKyle, on 08 November 2017 - 09:48 AM, said:

I live in Fort Lauderdale and I would not recommend it for a golf vacation.  If you are looking for a resort atmosphere, you have 3 options in South Florida. Doral - Way overpriced, Turnberry - Also overpriced and PGA National. PGA National would be a good choice as it would be about 3 to 4 weeks after the Honda Classic and should be in good shape. My suggestion is go to Orlando or Tampa. Much better golf options.

Isn't PGA National more expensive than Doral, though?

6

#7 UCFKyle

UCFKyle

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 448444
  • Joined: 12/08/2016
  • Location:Fort Lauderdale
  • Handicap:3
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 08 November 2017 - 04:38 PM

View PostArgonne69, on 08 November 2017 - 10:08 AM, said:

View PostUCFKyle, on 08 November 2017 - 09:48 AM, said:

I live in Fort Lauderdale and I would not recommend it for a golf vacation.  If you are looking for a resort atmosphere, you have 3 options in South Florida. Doral - Way overpriced, Turnberry - Also overpriced and PGA National. PGA National would be a good choice as it would be about 3 to 4 weeks after the Honda Classic and should be in good shape. My suggestion is go to Orlando or Tampa. Much better golf options.

Isn't PGA National more expensive than Doral, though?

It may be, they send out so many discount emails to Florida resident's and repeat customers , I just assumed it was cheaper than Doral.

7

#8 Argonne69

Argonne69

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,333 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102839
  • Joined: 02/01/2010
  • Location:Chicago, IL
GolfWRX Likes : 15935

Posted 08 November 2017 - 04:47 PM

View PostUCFKyle, on 08 November 2017 - 04:38 PM, said:

View PostArgonne69, on 08 November 2017 - 10:08 AM, said:

View PostUCFKyle, on 08 November 2017 - 09:48 AM, said:

I live in Fort Lauderdale and I would not recommend it for a golf vacation.  If you are looking for a resort atmosphere, you have 3 options in South Florida. Doral - Way overpriced, Turnberry - Also overpriced and PGA National. PGA National would be a good choice as it would be about 3 to 4 weeks after the Honda Classic and should be in good shape. My suggestion is go to Orlando or Tampa. Much better golf options.

Isn't PGA National more expensive than Doral, though?

It may be, they send out so many discount emails to Florida resident's and repeat customers , I just assumed it was cheaper than Doral.

I stayed and played at Doral a few years back, and while it wasn't cheap, it wasn't crazy expensive. I've wanted to play PGA National numerous times, but everytime I check it out the lodging costs are nuts.

8

#9 Waterball6

Waterball6

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 447248
  • Joined: 11/23/2016
  • Location:Naples
  • Handicap:1.9
GolfWRX Likes : 32

Posted 09 November 2017 - 09:45 AM

We do a trip every year to Florida. We've done both PGA National and Innisbrook and enjoyed both, the only issue with Innisbrook is the potential for cooler weather. If you're looking in March you should be fine though.

Streamsong is another one that comes to mind. I've never been, but I know alot of Golfwrx guys have an had great reviews.

9

#10 DrSchteeve

DrSchteeve

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,008 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3417
  • Joined: 07/27/2005
  • Location:Scottsdale, AZ
  • Handicap:15
  • Ebay ID:sstclairs
GolfWRX Likes : 588

Posted 09 November 2017 - 11:06 AM

You need to define reasonably priced.

That said, all 3 places you reference are going to have high end and medium priced courses that should be fine. Depending how golfcentric you are, you may want to consider nightlife and restaurants.

Edited by DrSchteeve, 09 November 2017 - 02:24 PM.

Callaway Epic Driver and 3 wood Matrix Red Tie 65Q4
Callaway GBB 3 wood clocked to 17 KK Silver Tini
Cobra Max 3 and 5 Hybrids
Cobra King F7 6-GW
Scratch DD 53 and 60
TM Tour Spider Day
OUUL stand bag
Volvik Vivid

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#11 jerebear21

jerebear21

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 338509
  • Joined: 09/08/2014
  • Location:Florida
  • Handicap:8.3
  • Ebay ID:bearjere21
GolfWRX Likes : 405

Posted 09 November 2017 - 02:32 PM

There's no reasonably priced courses in florida during the month of march. It is still peak season.
Byron GSS DH89
Newport CircleT SSS Mid-Slant
GMT 16750 PEPSI
SUB 5513

https://www.thehuyhuynhfoundation.com/

11

#12 DrSchteeve

DrSchteeve

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,008 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3417
  • Joined: 07/27/2005
  • Location:Scottsdale, AZ
  • Handicap:15
  • Ebay ID:sstclairs
GolfWRX Likes : 588

Posted 09 November 2017 - 04:46 PM

View Postjerebear21, on 09 November 2017 - 02:32 PM, said:

There's no reasonably priced courses in florida during the month of march. It is still peak season.

Well, I think in all areas mentioned that is essentially the case, but of course there are a variety of courses in all those places. There aren't any or many reasonably priced great courses, but again that's why the OP needs to define "reasonably priced". If that means under $100/round, then it's going to be tough to find great courses in good conditions in any of those areas, though good courses in decent condition - mostly good muni's and the like - may be had. If the budget goes up to $150 a round, then the possibilities open up a lot.

I know when I lived in NC and visited Scottsdale for the first time (in March) I was shocked by how high prices are, but now that I live here that is just the way it is. Supply and demand. If you want to go to a great warm weather golf destination in March, then you need to be prepared to pay for it, or your expectations for courses needs adjustment.

That said, I've heard the St. George area is surprisingly warm in March and has some pretty good courses for what most would consider reasonable prices.
Callaway Epic Driver and 3 wood Matrix Red Tie 65Q4
Callaway GBB 3 wood clocked to 17 KK Silver Tini
Cobra Max 3 and 5 Hybrids
Cobra King F7 6-GW
Scratch DD 53 and 60
TM Tour Spider Day
OUUL stand bag
Volvik Vivid

12

#13 DrSchteeve

DrSchteeve

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,008 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3417
  • Joined: 07/27/2005
  • Location:Scottsdale, AZ
  • Handicap:15
  • Ebay ID:sstclairs
GolfWRX Likes : 588

Posted 09 November 2017 - 04:50 PM

View PostWaterball6, on 09 November 2017 - 09:45 AM, said:

We do a trip every year to Florida. We've done both PGA National and Innisbrook and enjoyed both, the only issue with Innisbrook is the potential for cooler weather. If you're looking in March you should be fine though.

Streamsong is another one that comes to mind. I've never been, but I know alot of Golfwrx guys have an had great reviews.

Streamsong isn't going to meet anyone's definition of "reasonably priced".
Callaway Epic Driver and 3 wood Matrix Red Tie 65Q4
Callaway GBB 3 wood clocked to 17 KK Silver Tini
Cobra Max 3 and 5 Hybrids
Cobra King F7 6-GW
Scratch DD 53 and 60
TM Tour Spider Day
OUUL stand bag
Volvik Vivid

13

#14 Argonne69

Argonne69

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,333 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102839
  • Joined: 02/01/2010
  • Location:Chicago, IL
GolfWRX Likes : 15935

Posted 09 November 2017 - 04:53 PM

St George, UT? Mid-March temps can reach the high 60's, but mornings can be in the low 40's. I was there this past April, and the mornings were still quite chilly. 'Definitely playable, but not Florida-like weather.

14

#15 DrSchteeve

DrSchteeve

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,008 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3417
  • Joined: 07/27/2005
  • Location:Scottsdale, AZ
  • Handicap:15
  • Ebay ID:sstclairs
GolfWRX Likes : 588

Posted 09 November 2017 - 04:59 PM

View PostArgonne69, on 09 November 2017 - 04:53 PM, said:

St George, UT? Mid-March temps can reach the high 60's, but mornings can be in the low 40's. I was there this past April, and the mornings were still quite chilly. 'Definitely playable, but not Florida-like weather.

Well, "reasonably priced" is a relative term, so I guess I was making "warm" a relative term as well.

Callaway Epic Driver and 3 wood Matrix Red Tie 65Q4
Callaway GBB 3 wood clocked to 17 KK Silver Tini
Cobra Max 3 and 5 Hybrids
Cobra King F7 6-GW
Scratch DD 53 and 60
TM Tour Spider Day
OUUL stand bag
Volvik Vivid

15

#16 DrSchteeve

DrSchteeve

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,008 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3417
  • Joined: 07/27/2005
  • Location:Scottsdale, AZ
  • Handicap:15
  • Ebay ID:sstclairs
GolfWRX Likes : 588

Posted 09 November 2017 - 05:02 PM

World Woods in Florida, north of Tampa about an hour, has one great course and one really good one and even in March rates are around $100 per round with 36 hole deals. There are also several other good, not great courses in that area which should be in that same $$ ballpark. The downside is there is NOTHING there for restaurants, nightlife, etc. unless you go down to Tampa.
Callaway Epic Driver and 3 wood Matrix Red Tie 65Q4
Callaway GBB 3 wood clocked to 17 KK Silver Tini
Cobra Max 3 and 5 Hybrids
Cobra King F7 6-GW
Scratch DD 53 and 60
TM Tour Spider Day
OUUL stand bag
Volvik Vivid

16

#17 dtm6582

dtm6582

    dtm6582

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 122477
  • Joined: 02/17/2011
  • Location:Phoenix
  • Ebay ID:dtm6582
GolfWRX Likes : 75

Posted 09 November 2017 - 06:14 PM

View Postmidnitemink, on 06 November 2017 - 02:19 PM, said:

We are experienced players and would appreciate good courses. We want a REASONABLY PRICED stay-and play package. The weather has to be warm. I think that eliminates the upper south at that time of year. Perhaps Arizona, Las Vegas or Southern Florida would be best. A nearby air hub with many reasonably priced flights is probably good. Please share your experience and make your best suggestions. Thank You > paul

So you want:

1. Good courses.
2. Warm weather in the early spring
3. Reasonable prices

Pick 2.

Also, since you didn't really define reasonable, if we stretch it a bit you might want to check out Tucson.

17

#18 jerebear21

jerebear21

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 338509
  • Joined: 09/08/2014
  • Location:Florida
  • Handicap:8.3
  • Ebay ID:bearjere21
GolfWRX Likes : 405

Posted 09 November 2017 - 07:34 PM

View PostDrSchteeve, on 09 November 2017 - 04:46 PM, said:

View Postjerebear21, on 09 November 2017 - 02:32 PM, said:

There's no reasonably priced courses in florida during the month of march. It is still peak season.

Well, I think in all areas mentioned that is essentially the case, but of course there are a variety of courses in all those places. There aren't any or many reasonably priced great courses, but again that's why the OP needs to define "reasonably priced". If that means under $100/round, then it's going to be tough to find great courses in good conditions in any of those areas, though good courses in decent condition - mostly good muni's and the like - may be had. If the budget goes up to $150 a round, then the possibilities open up a lot.


OP was looking for a stay and play and march is peak price for florida. You are looking at 200+ per rounds on any florida resorts with stay and play package during that month.

World woods is about 120 per round that time of the year as well and is hardly a resort destination.

Edited by jerebear21, 09 November 2017 - 07:37 PM.

Byron GSS DH89
Newport CircleT SSS Mid-Slant
GMT 16750 PEPSI
SUB 5513

https://www.thehuyhuynhfoundation.com/

18

#19 DrSchteeve

DrSchteeve

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,008 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3417
  • Joined: 07/27/2005
  • Location:Scottsdale, AZ
  • Handicap:15
  • Ebay ID:sstclairs
GolfWRX Likes : 588

Posted 10 November 2017 - 11:00 AM

View Postjerebear21, on 09 November 2017 - 07:34 PM, said:

View PostDrSchteeve, on 09 November 2017 - 04:46 PM, said:

View Postjerebear21, on 09 November 2017 - 02:32 PM, said:

There's no reasonably priced courses in florida during the month of march. It is still peak season.

Well, I think in all areas mentioned that is essentially the case, but of course there are a variety of courses in all those places. There aren't any or many reasonably priced great courses, but again that's why the OP needs to define "reasonably priced". If that means under $100/round, then it's going to be tough to find great courses in good conditions in any of those areas, though good courses in decent condition - mostly good muni's and the like - may be had. If the budget goes up to $150 a round, then the possibilities open up a lot.


OP was looking for a stay and play and march is peak price for florida. You are looking at 200+ per rounds on any florida resorts with stay and play package during that month.

World woods is about 120 per round that time of the year as well and is hardly a resort destination.

Well if I had read the OP's post I would have seen that!?! Rookie WRXer mistake and I ain't no rookie, so maybe it's just another in the long slog of signs of old age.

Back to the OP. You need to define "reasonably priced", but what jerebear21 says about Florida is going to be true for any warm weather destination. If you want a resort setting in warm weather in March, you are going to pay $200 plus for any of the better resorts (and courses). Drop in price, drop in quality.

Myrtle Beach would offer the most choices for less than top price resorts, but it won't be "warm" except in relative terms. It is usually very pleasant, mid 60's is the average high.

Edited by DrSchteeve, 10 November 2017 - 11:06 AM.

Callaway Epic Driver and 3 wood Matrix Red Tie 65Q4
Callaway GBB 3 wood clocked to 17 KK Silver Tini
Cobra Max 3 and 5 Hybrids
Cobra King F7 6-GW
Scratch DD 53 and 60
TM Tour Spider Day
OUUL stand bag
Volvik Vivid

19

#20 wingfoot64

wingfoot64

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 362347
  • Joined: 02/14/2015
  • Location:McDonough, GA
  • Handicap:7.9
  • Ebay ID:wingfoot64
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 11 November 2017 - 02:45 PM

Reunion Resort in Orlando is a good choice, 3 courses on property, Nicklaus, Palmer and Watson. There are plenty of courses nearby to choose from as well.  Maybe Wrx'r Richie will stop by, he'll have some solid advice on Fla courses.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#21 golfandfishing

golfandfishing

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,980 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 381948
  • Joined: 06/22/2015
  • Location:AZ
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 3229

Posted 12 November 2017 - 08:28 AM

I’ll echo a lot of sentiments above - stay and play resorts with multiple courses on site are typically pretty high end in terms of cost. When you “yell” REASONABLY PRICED” it’s hard to meet your expectations. March in Phoenix is basically guaranteed nice weather with what I would guess us the lowest chance of precipitation in the country. So take a mid priced resort with 2 courses on site - Talking Stick for example here. With advance tee times and 3 nights/3 rounds at double occupancy: $900. The courses are good, not great. The resort is very nice, casino on site and lots to do nearby, only complaint is the smoke from the casino. Is that a reasonable price? Give us a dollar figure as you can pay more for better or much less for worse.

21



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors