Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Another interesting rules infraction...

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 kekoa

kekoa

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 7,424 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66944
  • Handicap:4-20
GolfWRX Likes : 1328

Posted 06 November 2017 - 01:36 PM

My son played in the Monterey Challenge for 7 year old boys over the weekend.  Sorry in advance for the long winded post.

He was -2 coming into #9.  He drove it into the front right bunker, duffed one out to the front part of the green and proceeded to 4 putt from about 40 feet for double.  His score was even par 36.   This would have put my son at T3 after day 1.   My son tried to hold his emotions in, but was having a hard time holding it together.  I gave him his card and had him go directly to the scoring tent for signing etc.  On a normal day, I always compare scores for my son with the marker's caddy just to make sure we are on the same page before the kids go into the tent.  This didn't happen, which was mistake #1.

I sat next to a tree about 10 feet from the scoring tent while the kids did their thing.  This was mistake #2.  After about 10 minutes they were done so we packed up and left the course to grab lunch.  About 30 minutes later I was reviewing the tournament results online and noticed they posted a 37 (+1) for my son instead of an even par 36.  I immediately called the course to speak with the tournament director about the issue thinking there may have been some mistake with data entry.  The US Kids director proceeds to tell me that not only did they have my son down for the wrong score, but my son did not sign his score card.  I couldn't believe it so I drove back to the course to see the card for myself.  Essentially, the third player signed my son's card as 'Marker'- which he wasn't and my son's marker signed the scorecard as 'Competitor', which he wasn't.  My son's signature was no where on the card.  In a larger event, this would have been an automatic DQ, but for US Kids events it defaults to a 10 on the last hole.  My son's 36 is now posted as a 41 (T10).

During my conversation with the tournament director, the dad and caddy of the marker for my son walks in and seemed really bothered.  He was actually next to his son during the signing and said the following happened:  1).  The volunteer in the scoring tent did NOT have the kids read off their scores hole by hole; 2). He told my son's marker to sign my son's scorecard as competitor in pen.   After signing, the marker told the volunteer that it wasn't his card and the volunteer immediately said he would scratch the name out and have the correct competitor (my son) sign the card; 3). The other volunteer in the tent immediately grabbed all the cards, put them in a box and carted them off to the pro shop.  

On to the final tournament day- yesterday.  My son fires a  2 under par 34 to finish in 6th place.  Without the penalty and scoring issue, he would have won the tournament by 1.

After having my son play in over 40 US Kids tournaments, this is the first time something like this has ever happened.  It sucks, but I'm also glad it happened now and not later in an event that might mean something.

My takeaways:
1. Always compare scores with marker prior to entering the scoring tent.
2. Accompany my player in the scoring tent to make sure the the volunteers go through the correct process in checking scores and having markers/competitors sign their cards.  I always thought they did not want parents hovering, but the US Kids director told me they urge parents to accompany their player especially with younger kids.  
3. The people working in the scoring tent are simply volunteers.  They are not part of US kids and may or may not know anything about the job and procedure at hand.
4. At the end of the day, it is the competitor's responsibility to make sure they sign their card before leaving the tent- even if there is no area for them to sign.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 leezer99

leezer99

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
GolfWRX Likes : 153

Posted 06 November 2017 - 02:05 PM

I saw that your son had a 10 on that last hole and thought something had to be wrong!  

Here are my 2 cents... all of your takeaways are correct and knowing this will be a learning experience for you and your son.  That being said, he did great to shoot two under on day two with five birdies and should have won at 3 under.  Even more impressive is that he birdied #9 on the second day.  

I would encourage you to share your experience with your local tour directors so that they can include it in their communication however they see fit.  It's an 'extreme' example of the worst case scenario but will definitely wake some parents / juniors up on the local level.

What I can't believe is the 13 under posted in the boys 9... next closest competitor was 1 under.  Thank god we stayed home for baseball and basketball.

#3 Londoner

Londoner

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 483738
  • Handicap:14
  • Ebay ID:Woofwoof666
GolfWRX Likes : 142

Posted 06 November 2017 - 02:14 PM

When you get his card, before play, get him to sign in an empty space. My understanding is the rules of golf only say it has to be signed. Not where or when. Sign the correct box after you check scores. He will never have an unsigned card again.
Mizuno mp h5. 4-W KBS tour stiff 2 iron modus 3 stiff.
taylormade m2 Driver + hl 3 wood
ping anser
Titleist sm6 50 +54
Cleveland 60

#4 kekoa

kekoa

• 7,424 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2017 - 02:19 PM

View PostLondoner, on 06 November 2017 - 02:14 PM, said:

When you get his card, before play, get him to sign in an empty space. My understanding is the rules of golf only say it has to be signed. Not where or when. Sign the correct box after you check scores. He will never have an unsigned card again.

So you are saying to have him sign anywhere on the card before you play?  Also, I understand you have to sign the card before leaving the scoring tent.

#5 wildcatden

wildcatden

China Cat Sunflower

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 481904
GolfWRX Likes : 15

Posted 06 November 2017 - 02:36 PM

That's a bummer. Sometimes I compare scorecards with the other Dad's before heading to the scoring table. Other times, I add up the scores that I wrote down and then go stand near the table and watch and listen (to hear them say the same score I came up with).  I recall, as I watched my kid go through the scoring process at Monterey, it was quite chaotic and the scoring guy almost had my kid sign the wrong card (I had to say something).

Given your experience, I guess I will have to continue to monitor this piece of the event like a hawk.  On the bright side, at least your kid played well. Mine laid a couple of uglies down.

#6 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
GolfWRX Likes : 792

Posted 06 November 2017 - 02:49 PM

I think more than anything else, it is a great learning experience for your son.  More so than winning the tournament.  People make mistakes, including adults.  He needs to stand up and say when his scorecard is wrong, I am not signing the scorecard.  If that happens again he needs to say "I am not leaving until we read scores to verify and sign cards."  If the scorer refuses he tells them "I want the tournament director and am not leaving until he gets here."  This is something he needs to learn.  Mom and Dad can't always be there.  I will vouch that as you get older there will be scoring table rooms where no adults are allowed.  He needs to learn to stand up for himself.  If mom or dad stand up for him then he is just being dependent on mom and dad standing up for him.

As unfortunate as this is, I would have been irate as a parent on this one.  If the tournament director is going to put a volunteer in the tent, they better dadgum know what they are doing.  The two most important jobs at a tournament are the rules officials and scorers table in no particular order.  What happened to your kid is garbage.  I would have had to of held back from punching someone.

Edited by heavy_hitter, 06 November 2017 - 02:58 PM.

#7 MikekiM

MikekiM

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 415850
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 06 November 2017 - 02:49 PM

Oh man how frustrating!  My son had a score keeping issue pop up at an earlier tournament where a "3" somehow got mistaken as a "5".  He signed a 3, but didn't have a total filled out at the end, so when the workers were tallying it up, they changed the 3 to a 5 then added up the total after he signed it and turned it in.

We used that event as a huge learning experience for my son about keeping score, and making sure all the numbers are legible.  I've emphasized how important it is also to tally the scores and make sure that number at the end is right, and don't sign the card until it's right.

Score keeping issues are just the worst way to lose a tournament, sorry to hear it happened to your son!
Taylor Made R15
Ping G25
Taylor Made Jetspeed Hybrid
Titleist T-MB
Titleist 716 CB
Titleist Vokey SM6
Scotty Cameron Newport
K-Sig Ball

#8 kekoa

kekoa

• 7,424 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2017 - 03:00 PM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 06 November 2017 - 02:49 PM, said:

I think more than anything else, it is a great learning experience for your son.  More so than winning the tournament.  People make mistakes, including adults.  He needs to stand up and say when his scorecard is wrong, I am not signing the scorecard.  If what happens again he needs to say "I am not leaving until we read scores to verify and sign cards."  If the scorer refuses he tells them "I want the tournament director and am not leaving until he gets here."  This is something he needs to learn.  Mom and Dad can't always be there.  I will vouch that as you get older there will be scoring table rooms where no adults are allowed.  He needs to learn to stand up for himself.  If mom or dad stand up for him then he is just being dependent on mom and dad standing up for him.

As unfortunate as this is, I would have been irate as a parent on this one.  If the tournament director is going to put a volunteer in the tent, they better dadgum know what they are doing.  The two most important jobs at a tournament are the rules officials and scorers table in no particular order.  What happened to your kid is garbage.  I would have had to of held back from punching someone.

I agree HH.  I want my kid to be independent on the golf course as soon as possible.  That said, could you imagine at age 7 telling an adult that you are not leaving the tent until the scores are read and correct scorecard is signed?  This would be ideal, but not sure how many kids would have the prowess at such a young age.  

It turns out that the dad of our marker runs another local tour.  He actually contacted some very seasoned rules officials who said the below rule should be implemented.

What do you guys think of rule 33-7 in my son's case:

33-7. Disqualification Penalty; Committee Discretion

A penalty of disqualification may in exceptional individual cases be waived, modified or imposed if the Committee considers such action warranted.

Any penalty less than disqualification must not be waived or modified.

As HH states, my biggest issue is that the volunteer in the tent didn't have a clue.  Apparently the US Kids director thought the same as he was taken out of the scoring tent for the remainder of the tournament.

Edited by kekoa, 06 November 2017 - 03:00 PM.

#9 wildcatden

wildcatden

China Cat Sunflower

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 481904
GolfWRX Likes : 15

Posted 06 November 2017 - 03:18 PM

View Postkekoa, on 06 November 2017 - 03:00 PM, said:

A penalty of disqualification may in exceptional individual cases be waived, modified or imposed if the Committee considers such action warranted.

As HH states, my biggest issue is that the volunteer in the tent didn't have a clue.  Apparently the US Kids director thought the same as he was taken out of the scoring tent for the remainder of the tournament.

I read rule 33-7 is that a DQ penalty could be waived but penalties less than DQ (10 stroke in your case) can not be waived.

I think you have every right to be absolutely pissed off though. It's not like these events are cheap ($255 to enter if I recall?).  The least the tournament director could do is a little vetting of the scoring table people. And it's not like this is the first time the Monterey has had this event.

#10 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
GolfWRX Likes : 792

Posted 06 November 2017 - 03:19 PM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 06 November 2017 - 02:49 PM, said:

I think more than anything else, it is a great learning experience for your son.  More so than winning the tournament.  People make mistakes, including adults.  He needs to stand up and say when his scorecard is wrong, I am not signing the scorecard.  If what happens again he needs to say "I am not leaving until we read scores to verify and sign cards."  If the scorer refuses he tells them "I want the tournament director and am not leaving until he gets here."  This is something he needs to learn.  Mom and Dad can't always be there.  I will vouch that as you get older there will be scoring table rooms where no adults are allowed.  He needs to learn to stand up for himself.  If mom or dad stand up for him then he is just being dependent on mom and dad standing up for him.

I agree HH.  I want my kid to be independent on the golf course as soon as possible.  That said, could you imagine at age 7 telling an adult that you are not leaving the tent until the scores are read and correct scorecard is signed?  This would be ideal, but not sure how many kids would have the prowess at such a young age.  

It turns out that the dad of our marker runs another local tour.  He actually contacted some very seasoned rules officials who said the below rule should be implemented.

That is the learning experience.

I couldn't imagine it.  That is what you need to teach him how to handle it in a respectful way.  I can remember the first time my son went through it.  He was 9 at a US Kids local.  Was shocked that he handled it.   It wasn't his score that was effected so I really don't recall the issue.  I just remember me getting mad at him because he refuse to sign or leave the scorers table.  They had to call the parents in and to my dismay, my kid was right.  I had to apologize in the car because I kept telling him to sign it and get up.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 kekoa

kekoa

• 7,424 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2017 - 03:33 PM

View Postwildcatden, on 06 November 2017 - 03:18 PM, said:

I read rule 33-7 is that a DQ penalty could be waived but penalties less than DQ (10 stroke in your case) can not be waived.

I think you have every right to be absolutely pissed off though. It's not like these events are cheap ($255 to enter if I recall?).  The least the tournament director could do is a little vetting of the scoring table people. And it's not like this is the first time the Monterey has had this event.

I read the rule again and looks like you are correct.  Not applicable in our case.

Yes, these events are expensive especially for 9 holers.  Obviously the $255 doesn't include all the lodging, food, prep time we spend.  Aside from that, US Kids is doing their customers (players) a huge disservice by not having trained/knowledgeable staff especially in the scoring tent.  I get that they need volunteers as well, but save other jobs for them.

Based on the tour director's statement, he said they basically sit the volunteers in a room and go over procedure.  Some get it and some don't.  WTF!!!

#12 hangontight

hangontight

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 477968
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 06 November 2017 - 03:36 PM

Bummer that it effectively may very well cost him the tmnt.  We are moving out of the 6u(where caddies seem to try to hold the kids hands through EVERYTHNG, including scoring tent and I've been curious how much parents back off in the older age groups (of at all, ha!)  I agree with HH, I would of been a little fired up on this one.  Yes, it's "just" a regional Tmnt ( and they don't give college scholarships to y year olds), BUT I have had other concerning experiences with scoring tent volunteers at regionals and even at Worlds- pushy and have had to correct their adding mistakes(guilty of hovering).  I think everyone really appreciates their time and all, but Lets not forget that we spend good money between Tmnt fees and travel costs.  An unfortunate Learning experience but no one can blame you for dissapointment after that.

#13 Londoner

Londoner

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 483738
  • Handicap:14
  • Ebay ID:Woofwoof666
GolfWRX Likes : 142

Posted 06 November 2017 - 04:27 PM

View Postkekoa, on 06 November 2017 - 02:19 PM, said:

View PostLondoner, on 06 November 2017 - 02:14 PM, said:

So you are saying to have him sign anywhere on the card before you play?  Also, I understand you have to sign the card before leaving the scoring tent.
Yep. Common tactic in my part of the world. Breaks no rules and meets the criteria for signed card.
Mizuno mp h5. 4-W KBS tour stiff 2 iron modus 3 stiff.
taylormade m2 Driver + hl 3 wood
ping anser
Titleist sm6 50 +54
Cleveland 60

#14 darter79

darter79

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66967
GolfWRX Likes : 43

Posted 06 November 2017 - 07:28 PM

View Postkekoa, on 06 November 2017 - 01:36 PM, said:

My son played in the Monterey Challenge for 7 year old boys over the weekend.  Sorry in advance for the long winded post.

He was -2 coming into #9.  He drove it into the front right bunker, duffed one out to the front part of the green and proceeded to 4 putt from about 40 feet for double.  His score was even par 36.   This would have put my son at T3 after day 1.   My son tried to hold his emotions in, but was having a hard time holding it together.  I gave him his card and had him go directly to the scoring tent for signing etc.  On a normal day, I always compare scores for my son with the marker's caddy just to make sure we are on the same page before the kids go into the tent.  This didn't happen, which was mistake #1.

I sat next to a tree about 10 feet from the scoring tent while the kids did their thing.  This was mistake #2.  After about 10 minutes they were done so we packed up and left the course to grab lunch.  About 30 minutes later I was reviewing the tournament results online and noticed they posted a 37 (+1) for my son instead of an even par 36.  I immediately called the course to speak with the tournament director about the issue thinking there may have been some mistake with data entry.  The US Kids director proceeds to tell me that not only did they have my son down for the wrong score, but my son did not sign his score card.  I couldn't believe it so I drove back to the course to see the card for myself.  Essentially, the third player signed my son's card as 'Marker'- which he wasn't and my son's marker signed the scorecard as 'Competitor', which he wasn't.  My son's signature was no where on the card.  In a larger event, this would have been an automatic DQ, but for US Kids events it defaults to a 10 on the last hole.  My son's 36 is now posted as a 41 (T10).

During my conversation with the tournament director, the dad and caddy of the marker for my son walks in and seemed really bothered.  He was actually next to his son during the signing and said the following happened:  1).  The volunteer in the scoring tent did NOT have the kids read off their scores hole by hole; 2). He told my son's marker to sign my son's scorecard as competitor in pen.   After signing, the marker told the volunteer that it wasn't his card and the volunteer immediately said he would scratch the name out and have the correct competitor (my son) sign the card; 3). The other volunteer in the tent immediately grabbed all the cards, put them in a box and carted them off to the pro shop.  

On to the final tournament day- yesterday.  My son fires a  2 under par 34 to finish in 6th place.  Without the penalty and scoring issue, he would have won the tournament by 1.

After having my son play in over 40 US Kids tournaments, this is the first time something like this has ever happened.  It sucks, but I'm also glad it happened now and not later in an event that might mean something.

My takeaways:
2. Accompany my player in the scoring tent to make sure the the volunteers go through the correct process in checking scores and having markers/competitors sign their cards.  I always thought they did not want parents hovering, but the US Kids director told me they urge parents to accompany their player especially with younger kids.  
3. The people working in the scoring tent are simply volunteers.  They are not part of US kids and may or may not know anything about the job and procedure at hand.
4. At the end of the day, it is the competitor's responsibility to make sure they sign their card before leaving the tent- even if there is no area for them to sign.

I'm with HH here.  I think I punch a few people over this.  Granted of course your child should sign their scorecard but in this age group in my opinion that is what the scoring table is supposed to do. Assist and educate. They are 6, 7, 8. No way should they have let this happen. I don't care how many events they have played in. They are emotional especially after what had happened. For them to loose over something like this taken into account the amount of money spent.  This is absurd here. I know they do have rule committees that do meet and can overturn results, I've been involved in one before, I would take this up the chain. Flat out absurd.

#15 leezer99

leezer99

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
GolfWRX Likes : 153

Posted 06 November 2017 - 09:13 PM

View Postdarter79, on 06 November 2017 - 07:28 PM, said:

My takeaways:

I'm with HH here.  I think I punch a few people over this.  Granted of course your child should sign their scorecard but in this age group in my opinion that is what the scoring table is supposed to do. Assist and educate. They are 6, 7, 8. No way should they have let this happen. I don't care how many events they have played in. They are emotional especially after what had happened. For them to loose over something like this taken into account the amount of money spent.  This is absurd here. I know they do have rule committees that do meet and can overturn results, I've been involved in one before, I would take this up the chain. Flat out absurd.

Would they actually change the results or just give them a higher status?

#16 darter79

darter79

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66967
GolfWRX Likes : 43

Posted 06 November 2017 - 09:40 PM

View Postleezer99, on 06 November 2017 - 09:13 PM, said:

View Postdarter79, on 06 November 2017 - 07:28 PM, said:

My takeaways:

Would they actually change the results or just give them a higher status?

In my experience they didn't change anything however, in my situation I was told score would be changed and results.  So yes they can change the results its up to them. From my point of view US Kids dropped the ball more than the kid here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors