Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

used vs. new


53 replies to this topic

#1 zebra2955

zebra2955

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 237961
  • Joined: 03/15/2013
  • Location:frankfort, illinois
  • Ebay ID:golfingzebra
GolfWRX Likes : 59

Posted 04 November 2017 - 08:23 AM

How many of you readers by used galf balls ?

Do you see a difference between new and used ?

Cobra F7 lite flex shaft
Cobra baffler 3 & 5 wood lite flex shaft
Cobra 4 & 5 baffler hybrid lite flex shaft
Cobra baffler irons 4-pw, gw, sw, lite flex shaft
Odyssey White hot 2 ball, super stroke 3.0 counter core grip

Balls whatever Callaway Costco has on sale  LOL

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#2 DavePelz4

DavePelz4

    Legend

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 20,682 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 69051
  • Joined: 11/10/2008
  • Location:A golf course in the Chicago area.
  • Handicap:10.0
GolfWRX Likes : 19559

Posted 04 November 2017 - 08:26 AM

With 1 shot a ball becomes used.

2

#3 hybrid25

hybrid25

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 434860
  • Joined: 08/01/2016
  • Location:michigan
GolfWRX Likes : 252

Posted 04 November 2017 - 08:47 AM

I have a used golf ball store nearby and I buy premium balls 5* used all the time. I have never had a problem with a golf ball being used. Most likely these balls have been hit once or twice and end up in the hazard, collected, sorted, then they are in my bag. I am able to select them out of the bin by myself in my situation, and the only thing they appear to be missing is the little sleeve box they come in.

3

#4 new2g0lf

new2g0lf

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,890 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114437
  • Joined: 09/06/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 1130

Posted 04 November 2017 - 08:56 AM

View Postzebra2955, on 04 November 2017 - 08:23 AM, said:

How many of you readers by used galf balls ?

Do you see a difference between new and used ?

When I first started playing golf 6 years ago I purchased pre-owned (not refinished) golf balls and felt they were good enough for a beginner who lost a lot of golf balls.  I played them up until last year when the company I purchased from merged with another company and the quality of their golf balls and customer service became quite poor and the KSig was released.  I've read numerous articles on the negative effects being submerged for extended periods of time in water can have on the performance of golf balls.  When I was losing 6+ a round, I wasn't too concerned but as my handicap dropped I started to look at ways to lower my scores even more.  

I started using the KSig as my primary golf ball and found my game improved.  There were so many variables involved, I was taking lessons, bought the CF-16's, stopped using pre-owned golf balls and improved my course management so I couldn't honestly say it was new golf balls that changed my game but I do think they were a factor.

What I can say is that it's good to eliminate variables that might be holding you back.  If you question the quality of pre-owned golf balls then you should try using new ones for a few rounds to see if it makes a difference.  KSig, Snell, Vice, Cut and others offer premium quality golf balls at a much lower price that Pro V1's and Chrome Soft.

Edited by new2g0lf, 04 November 2017 - 08:57 AM.


4

#5 TheGolfingFirefighter

TheGolfingFirefighter

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 408648
  • Joined: 01/13/2016
  • Location:Georgia
  • Ebay ID:golfaddict93
GolfWRX Likes : 712

Posted 04 November 2017 - 12:31 PM

I use nothing but used balls unless someone buys new balls for me as a gift.

SLDR-C 10.5
Adams Tightlies 16*
Wilson Reflex 4-Gw
Cleveland RTX 588 2.0 54/58*
Maxfli Tad Moore TM-1
Taylormade Project a

5

#6 golfer1g

golfer1g

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 483600
  • Joined: 10/05/2017
  • Location:Augusta, GA
  • Handicap:3
  • Ebay ID:y5359
GolfWRX Likes : 16

Posted 04 November 2017 - 03:39 PM

I just play what I find or what my dad finds.  So used only here

6

#7 ob18

ob18

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 400786
  • Joined: 10/26/2015
  • Location:PA
GolfWRX Likes : 200

Posted 04 November 2017 - 03:47 PM

I've struggled with this one for awhile now but if I want to play anything premium I'd have to go used.
10* Callaway XR Driver
15* Nickent 3 Wood
18* Nickent F30 Hybrid
Taylormade M2 Irons - 5 iron to A wedge
54*, 58* Cleveland RTX 2.0 Wedges
Nickent OMEN Tour Series 4 putter

7

#8 gripandrip

gripandrip

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 121337
  • Joined: 01/30/2011
  • Location:MI
GolfWRX Likes : 190

Posted 04 November 2017 - 04:45 PM

I play both. If I find a good deal at a website like golfballsdirect.com I'll buy the 5A rated balls. I feel no difference from new.

I use them pretty much for all the balls I buy to play in the winter, or late fall, when leaves are everywhere.

8

#9 Glp78

Glp78

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 399728
  • Joined: 10/16/2015
  • Location:Maryland
  • Handicap:5
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 04 November 2017 - 05:15 PM

No difference in a 5a ball from GBD and new ones, they’re just cheaper.  I know some guys that live by the new ball placebo effect, but I have found really no measurable difference

9

#10 DavePelz4

DavePelz4

    Legend

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 20,682 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 69051
  • Joined: 11/10/2008
  • Location:A golf course in the Chicago area.
  • Handicap:10.0
GolfWRX Likes : 19559

Posted 04 November 2017 - 06:25 PM

View PostGlp78, on 04 November 2017 - 05:15 PM, said:

No difference in a 5a ball from GBD and new ones, they’re just cheaper.  I know some guys that live by the new ball placebo effect, but I have found really no measurable difference

Unless you're talking KSigs that cost more used than new.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#11 ob18

ob18

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 400786
  • Joined: 10/26/2015
  • Location:PA
GolfWRX Likes : 200

Posted 04 November 2017 - 07:00 PM

I have narrowed it down to 3 choices (5A)

2016 - Bridgestone 330RXS
2016 - Titleist ProV1
The now previous model Taylormade TPX

Edited by ob18, 04 November 2017 - 07:00 PM.

10* Callaway XR Driver
15* Nickent 3 Wood
18* Nickent F30 Hybrid
Taylormade M2 Irons - 5 iron to A wedge
54*, 58* Cleveland RTX 2.0 Wedges
Nickent OMEN Tour Series 4 putter

11

#12 new2g0lf

new2g0lf

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,890 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114437
  • Joined: 09/06/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 1130

Posted 04 November 2017 - 07:18 PM

View Postob18, on 04 November 2017 - 07:00 PM, said:

I have narrowed it down to 3 choices (5A)

2016 - Bridgestone 330RXS
2016 - Titleist ProV1
The now previous model Taylormade TPX

You can't go wrong with any of the three choices.  I'd pick the 2016 Tour Preferred X.  You can find some good online deals on new 2016 TPX, around $2 per ball.

12

#13 ob18

ob18

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 400786
  • Joined: 10/26/2015
  • Location:PA
GolfWRX Likes : 200

Posted 04 November 2017 - 07:24 PM

View Postnew2g0lf, on 04 November 2017 - 07:18 PM, said:

View Postob18, on 04 November 2017 - 07:00 PM, said:

I have narrowed it down to 3 choices (5A)

2016 - Bridgestone 330RXS
2016 - Titleist ProV1
The now previous model Taylormade TPX

You can't go wrong with any of the three choices.  I'd pick the 2016 Tour Preferred X.  You can find some good online deals on new 2016 TPX, around $2 per ball.

Whatever I get I'm sure it will be in a large quantity
10* Callaway XR Driver
15* Nickent 3 Wood
18* Nickent F30 Hybrid
Taylormade M2 Irons - 5 iron to A wedge
54*, 58* Cleveland RTX 2.0 Wedges
Nickent OMEN Tour Series 4 putter

13

#14 cgasucks

cgasucks

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,527 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16512
  • Joined: 07/18/2006
GolfWRX Likes : 673

Posted 04 November 2017 - 10:36 PM

All the golf ammo I use in my bag are used.  I tend to play used TM tour level balls (Penta, Lethal, Tour Preferred) as they tend to be slightly cheaper than the used Pro V1s which gives me the best bang for my buck.  I really don't see a difference in distance and spin compared to a new ball.

Edited by cgasucks, 04 November 2017 - 10:37 PM.

9.5 deg Taylormade R7 Superquad (All Black First Edition) with stock Fujikura Reax TP shaft
1988 Tommy Armour 845s (3-PW, W3 (GW), SW) with stock TT Tour Step shafts
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts
Ping Anser 2 Stainless Steel Putter

14

#15 Break81

Break81

    Broke80

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 263738
  • Joined: 07/13/2013
  • Location:Chino Hills
  • Handicap:9.5
  • Ebay ID:marcbogey
GolfWRX Likes : 390

Posted 04 November 2017 - 11:07 PM

I'll play a used ball if found in near mint condition.  I only purchase new as I always am looking for a deal and do not mind stocking up. When you can get a tour ball new in box for $20 if you bargin hunt, not much advantage for going used unless you have to buy ProV1 or TP5 series of balls. Srixon and Bridgestone can be found pretty cheap in bulk and they are just as good IMO.

    I do also play the Chrome Soft Truvis and pay a little more for those as the Truvis pattern really has seemed to help my putting from 8-15 feet.

TM M1 - Rouge 60 Stiff
Callaway XR - 4 wood - Rouge w/ RIP tip 60
Callaway BB V-Series 5 wood - Rouge Silver Stiff
Mizuno JPX850 Forger 4-GW - XP115 S300
Titleist 55 F grind / 60 M grind
EVNROLL ER5
Chrome Soft Truvis / Srixon XV 2017

15

#16 MattMo

MattMo

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,028 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102846
  • Joined: 02/01/2010
  • Location:Nebraska
  • Handicap:8
  • Ebay ID:Mattmorrissey
GolfWRX Likes : 271

Posted 05 November 2017 - 08:38 AM

View Postdoublepar93, on 04 November 2017 - 12:31 PM, said:

I use nothing but used balls unless someone buys new balls for me as a gift.

I’ve been golfing for almost 30 years and I’m pretty sure the box of KSigs I purchased recently was the first time I’ve purchased golf balls for myself.
Ping G25 9.5* w/ Harrison Saga
Ping G25 4W w/ TFC
Ping G15 20* Hybrid w/ GD YSQ
Ping i e1 4-U w/ CFS
Ping Glide 54*ws / 58*ws
Ping Redwood D66, 35"

16

#17 Hat Trick

Hat Trick

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 216173
  • Joined: 12/15/2012
  • Location:Buffalo, NY
GolfWRX Likes : 103

Posted 05 November 2017 - 09:52 AM

Always new!  The amount of money saved per ball isn't worth playing used ($1-1.50 a ball). The cost of a golf ball is the cheapest thing we buy in this game vs. clubs, green fees, etc.

17

#18 ob18

ob18

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 400786
  • Joined: 10/26/2015
  • Location:PA
GolfWRX Likes : 200

Posted 05 November 2017 - 10:07 AM

View PostHat Trick, on 05 November 2017 - 09:52 AM, said:

Always new!  The amount of money saved per ball isn't worth playing used ($1-1.50 a ball). The cost of a golf ball is the cheapest thing we buy in this game vs. clubs, green fees, etc.

It is still my preferred choice but I can't afford a premium ball at brand new price.

Edited by ob18, 05 November 2017 - 10:13 AM.

10* Callaway XR Driver
15* Nickent 3 Wood
18* Nickent F30 Hybrid
Taylormade M2 Irons - 5 iron to A wedge
54*, 58* Cleveland RTX 2.0 Wedges
Nickent OMEN Tour Series 4 putter

18

#19 BlackDiamondPar5

BlackDiamondPar5

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,460 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71580
  • Joined: 12/30/2008
  • Location:Western NY
GolfWRX Likes : 1850

Posted 05 November 2017 - 10:10 AM

If it's something I like playing, then used is no problem. Though I'm not a fan of refurbished balls because I believe it changes the ball.

19

#20 propman

propman

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 183580
  • Joined: 05/29/2012
  • Location:Chicago burbs
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 215

Posted 05 November 2017 - 11:25 AM

I look for deals on 5a balls (mainly GBD).  However, if I find a deal on new Wilson DUOs (sometimes as cheap as $11 new) , Callaway SS, Bridgestone e6 or Maxfli u6 tour soft, I grab them.

No, I find no difference between a 5a (recycled) and new.  My wallet would disagree.

15 hcp

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#21 sdandrea

sdandrea

    Steve

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 117468
  • Joined: 11/14/2010
  • Location:Fredericksburg, VA & Hernando FL
  • Handicap:13
GolfWRX Likes : 215

Posted 05 November 2017 - 11:29 AM

I buy new and cheap, but I typically get them "free" with Dick's Sporting Goods store credit rewards.
Cobra Max 10.5* & 5W
Adams 2014 idea 5h
Ben Hogan Apex Edge   6-E
PING Eye 2 +no+ W, SW, LW
Scotty Cameron Fastback

21

#22 bigmoneyp

bigmoneyp

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,092 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 106403
  • Joined: 04/16/2010
  • Location:West Michigan
GolfWRX Likes : 315

Posted 05 November 2017 - 04:42 PM

I love opening up the package and pulling out brand new golf balls. I only use new balls because I play Snell Get Sum and at $14/doz it's silly to play used bc I wouldn't be saving any money.

Edited by bigmoneyp, 05 November 2017 - 04:42 PM.


22

#23 hybrid25

hybrid25

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 434860
  • Joined: 08/01/2016
  • Location:michigan
GolfWRX Likes : 252

Posted 05 November 2017 - 05:27 PM

View Postbigmoneyp, on 05 November 2017 - 04:42 PM, said:

I love opening up the package and pulling out brand new golf balls. I only use new balls because I play Snell Get Sum and at $14/doz it's silly to play used bc I wouldn't be saving any money.
I don't think it's silly at all to play used, for those who want a premium golf ball. Sure the balls you are describing are rather inexpensive, but a lot of people want to play a premium Ball but can't afford to buy them new. Buying them used I think is a logical purchase.
EDIT:
To someone's comment about refurbished I would have to agree I don't really care for them at all and do question there performance characteristics.

Edited by hybrid25, 05 November 2017 - 05:32 PM.


23

#24 bigmoneyp

bigmoneyp

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,092 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 106403
  • Joined: 04/16/2010
  • Location:West Michigan
GolfWRX Likes : 315

Posted 05 November 2017 - 06:22 PM

View Posthybrid25, on 05 November 2017 - 05:27 PM, said:

View Postbigmoneyp, on 05 November 2017 - 04:42 PM, said:

I love opening up the package and pulling out brand new golf balls. I only use new balls because I play Snell Get Sum and at $14/doz it's silly to play used bc I wouldn't be saving any money.
I don't think it's silly at all to play used, for those who want a premium golf ball. Sure the balls you are describing are rather inexpensive, but a lot of people want to play a premium Ball but can't afford to buy them new. Buying them used I think is a logical purchase.
EDIT:
To someone's comment about refurbished I would have to agree I don't really care for them at all and do question there performance characteristics.

I was only speaking of my situation referencing the balls I play.

24

#25 ob18

ob18

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 400786
  • Joined: 10/26/2015
  • Location:PA
GolfWRX Likes : 200

Posted 05 November 2017 - 06:25 PM

View Postbigmoneyp, on 05 November 2017 - 06:22 PM, said:

View Posthybrid25, on 05 November 2017 - 05:27 PM, said:

View Postbigmoneyp, on 05 November 2017 - 04:42 PM, said:

I love opening up the package and pulling out brand new golf balls. I only use new balls because I play Snell Get Sum and at $14/doz it's silly to play used bc I wouldn't be saving any money.
I don't think it's silly at all to play used, for those who want a premium golf ball. Sure the balls you are describing are rather inexpensive, but a lot of people want to play a premium Ball but can't afford to buy them new. Buying them used I think is a logical purchase.
EDIT:
To someone's comment about refurbished I would have to agree I don't really care for them at all and do question there performance characteristics.

I was only speaking of my situation referencing the balls I play.

Respect the opinion and as like many others the opening of a brand new box is awesome...........but the better bang for the buck is letting somebody else buy them lose them and many of us by them used.

And I'll be honest I love to improve my score but I also play for fun & not to try to get on any of the tours.

10* Callaway XR Driver
15* Nickent 3 Wood
18* Nickent F30 Hybrid
Taylormade M2 Irons - 5 iron to A wedge
54*, 58* Cleveland RTX 2.0 Wedges
Nickent OMEN Tour Series 4 putter

25

#26 Break81

Break81

    Broke80

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 263738
  • Joined: 07/13/2013
  • Location:Chino Hills
  • Handicap:9.5
  • Ebay ID:marcbogey
GolfWRX Likes : 390

Posted 05 November 2017 - 06:36 PM

If I knew used balls were found in bushes and not in ponds I would be more open to buying them exclusively.  I know a small time in water does not effect performance (at least not that a mortal could see) however I am pretty sure in the past I had a couple of balls that didn’t play like a new ball.

   That and my OCD it’s hard to play a ball with even a small scuff.  I like yellow urethane balls and the Truvis as both seem to look new longer than plain white.
TM M1 - Rouge 60 Stiff
Callaway XR - 4 wood - Rouge w/ RIP tip 60
Callaway BB V-Series 5 wood - Rouge Silver Stiff
Mizuno JPX850 Forger 4-GW - XP115 S300
Titleist 55 F grind / 60 M grind
EVNROLL ER5
Chrome Soft Truvis / Srixon XV 2017

26

#27 ob18

ob18

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 400786
  • Joined: 10/26/2015
  • Location:PA
GolfWRX Likes : 200

Posted 05 November 2017 - 06:38 PM

View PostBreak81, on 05 November 2017 - 06:36 PM, said:

If I knew used balls were found in bushes and not in ponds I would be more open to buying them exclusively.  I know a small time in water does not effect performance (at least not that a mortal could see) however I am pretty sure in the past I had a couple of balls that didn’t play like a new ball.

   That and my OCD it’s hard to play a ball with even a small scuff.  I like yellow urethane balls and the Truvis as both seem to look new longer than plain white.

I fully understand, the premium golf balls have priced me out for brand new ones.
10* Callaway XR Driver
15* Nickent 3 Wood
18* Nickent F30 Hybrid
Taylormade M2 Irons - 5 iron to A wedge
54*, 58* Cleveland RTX 2.0 Wedges
Nickent OMEN Tour Series 4 putter

27

#28 onetime19

onetime19

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 922 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 122469
  • Joined: 02/17/2011
  • Location:Lantana TX
GolfWRX Likes : 37

Posted 06 November 2017 - 10:52 AM

I buy some used PV1X balls from a guy that works at a nice course. Most are one hit wonders, they all look new, I play practice rounds with used, money rounds new, can't tell much of a difference.

28

#29 rbj69

rbj69

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 432282
  • Joined: 07/11/2016
  • Location:NC
  • Handicap:14
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 06 November 2017 - 11:06 AM

For me i feel the used ones don't feel as good but it could be mental

29

#30 PuttCurseRepeat

PuttCurseRepeat

    It's a ball mark repair tool. Use it!

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 397914
  • Joined: 09/30/2015
  • Location:Chicago Western 'Burbs
GolfWRX Likes : 464

Posted 06 November 2017 - 11:32 AM

The first time I ordered used balls was the 5A Bridgestone B330.  I could not tell those balls from new except for a couple which had dimple issues, which others here had discussed in another thread some time back.  Happy with my first order, I ordered another couple dozen 5A B330 the following Spring.  This order was disappointing.  Some balls had the same dimple issues and others felt overly sticky.  The performance of the balls was inconsistent as well.  This soured my used golf ball buying experience, and together with the advent of the K-Sig and my ability to source the Wilson FG Tour at a great price, I no longer consider buying used balls.  There are many low-price, high performance new ball options available, which weaken the case for buying used balls.

Edited by PuttCurseRepeat, 06 November 2017 - 11:33 AM.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

30



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors