Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Research Triangle Course Recommendations

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 TRheezy

TRheezy

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 301091
GolfWRX Likes : 337

Posted 03 November 2017 - 09:01 AM

Just moved up to Cary, NC from Charleston.  As the title states, looking for some places to play.  Supposed to play Eagles Ridge today, and I am thinking about joining their membership program as it seems like the best deal (range plus access to 4 courses for 211/month). I will be working on the east side of Raleigh, so any courses that I can grab nine in after work are also appreciated.  

Also, if you live in the area and are looking for a 4th please let me know.

M1 440 8.5* Elements Platinum Proto 6F5
PING G400 Stretch XPHLEXXX Agera X
M1 3 Hybrid Atmos Blue X
Mizuno MP18 MMC 4-PW C-Taper Lite X

SM6 F Grind 50* LZ 6.5- SM6 M Grind 54* LZ 6.5- SM6 L Grind58* LZ 6.0
Edel E2 Torque Balanced

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 Jungleland

Jungleland

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 445486
  • Handicap:7
GolfWRX Likes : 86

Posted 03 November 2017 - 09:36 AM

View PostTRheezy, on 03 November 2017 - 09:01 AM, said:

Just moved up to Cary, NC from Charleston.  As the title states, looking for some places to play.  Supposed to play Eagles Ridge today, and I am thinking about joining their membership program as it seems like the best deal (range plus access to 4 courses for 211/month). I will be working on the east side of Raleigh, so any courses that I can grab nine in after work are also appreciated.  

Also, if you live in the area and are looking for a 4th please let me know.

East side of Raleigh - try the Neuse in Clayton - good course

Eagles Ridge is fun, not a fan of the 10th hole but most of the course is scorable, 18 can be a challenging tee shot.

#3 bogeypro

bogeypro

The Original Bogeypro

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,895 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3842
  • Handicap:+1
GolfWRX Likes : 823

Posted 08 November 2017 - 10:17 AM

Neuse is really south, near clayton.  

I'd recommend Hedingham on the east side.  It is in a community, but is an interesting track.

River Ridge is just south of there.  It's ok.
TaylorMade M1 9.5 w/HZRDUS black (2017)
TaylorMade M1 15 w/Diamana S+ (2017)
Callaway Epic 19* hybrid w/Recoil
Mizuno MP18 SC 4-pw w/C Taper Lite
Mizuno T7 wedges 52/56/60
Scotty Cameron Golo 5 (2014) -OR- Bettinardi Studio Stock 16
Chrome Soft Truvis pink

GHIN: 5443949

#4 tngolf22

tngolf22

Robert

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 72309
  • Handicap:3.4
GolfWRX Likes : 40

Posted 08 November 2017 - 12:45 PM

I was a member at River Ridge for 14 years.  Great layout and the course was in pretty good shape year round.  I've played Eagle Ridge, the Neuse, Hedingham, Pine Hollow....all good courses.  Hedingham is a good deal.  It's not long and people complain the houses are built too close to the course but it didn't bother me.  I love the Neuse.  If it was closer than River Ridge I would have considered joining.  Depends on your budget too.  Where in Cary are you?  PM me if you want.  At one point we lived in Cary but it was easy to get to River Ridge, just jump on 540.  If you're near Bentwinds don't hesitate to check it out.  Raleigh Country Club is pricey but worth it.  I played Old Chatham in the state mid-am and if you're in Cary that would be close but I'm sure that's super expensive to join.  Just depends on your budget.  Again feel free to PM me with any questions about other courses in the area.

#5 Jungleland

Jungleland

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 445486
  • Handicap:7
GolfWRX Likes : 86

Posted 08 November 2017 - 02:55 PM

View Posttngolf22, on 08 November 2017 - 12:45 PM, said:

I was a member at River Ridge for 14 years.  Great layout and the course was in pretty good shape year round.  I've played Eagle Ridge, the Neuse, Hedingham, Pine Hollow....all good courses.  Hedingham is a good deal.  It's not long and people complain the houses are built too close to the course but it didn't bother me.  I love the Neuse.  If it was closer than River Ridge I would have considered joining.  Depends on your budget too.  Where in Cary are you?  PM me if you want.  At one point we lived in Cary but it was easy to get to River Ridge, just jump on 540.  If you're near Bentwinds don't hesitate to check it out.  Raleigh Country Club is pricey but worth it.  I played Old Chatham in the state mid-am and if you're in Cary that would be close but I'm sure that's super expensive to join.  Just depends on your budget.  Again feel free to PM me with any questions about other courses in the area.

Old Chatham is great, business friend of mine is a member and we play there and MacGregor Downs when I'm in town.

#6 tngolf22

tngolf22

Robert

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2017 - 03:43 PM

View PostJungleland, on 08 November 2017 - 02:55 PM, said:

View Posttngolf22, on 08 November 2017 - 12:45 PM, said:

Old Chatham is great, business friend of mine is a member and we play there and MacGregor Downs when I'm in town.

I never got a chance to play MacGregor Downs but heard it is very nice.  In Cary I would put MacGregor Downs, Old Chatham (technically in Durham but on the border of Cary), and Prestonwood (hosts the PGA Senior SAS Championship each year) in the upper tier as far as affordability.  If his budget is in the neighborhood of Eagle Ridge I would be looking at River Ridge, Pine Hollow, the Neuse, Hedingham, Brier Creek and maybe Bentwinds depending on how far he is willing to drive.  Cary and North Raleigh are expensive areas as opposed to South/East Raleigh.

#7 bogeypro

bogeypro

The Original Bogeypro

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,895 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3842
  • Handicap:+1
GolfWRX Likes : 823

Posted 08 November 2017 - 04:27 PM

Isn't Prestonwood private and expensive?

What's that big private club north of town....something plantation, if I remember....

Edited by bogeypro, 08 November 2017 - 04:28 PM.

TaylorMade M1 9.5 w/HZRDUS black (2017)
TaylorMade M1 15 w/Diamana S+ (2017)
Callaway Epic 19* hybrid w/Recoil
Mizuno MP18 SC 4-pw w/C Taper Lite
Mizuno T7 wedges 52/56/60
Scotty Cameron Golo 5 (2014) -OR- Bettinardi Studio Stock 16
Chrome Soft Truvis pink

GHIN: 5443949

#8 tngolf22

tngolf22

Robert

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2017 - 05:20 PM

View Postbogeypro, on 08 November 2017 - 04:27 PM, said:

Isn't Prestonwood private and expensive?

What's that big private club north of town....something plantation, if I remember....

Yes.  Prestonwood is private.  I heard it was expensive, which is why I put it in the same category as MacGregor Downs and Old Chatham.  Out of my reach! lol

You're thinking of TPC Wakefield Plantation.  They (or at least used to) have a mini-tour event there.  I never played it.  I heard it wasn't worth the money to play it.  That's in the northeast Raleigh/Wake Forest area.  Heritage is up there and a good course to play.  A new course was built in that area called Hasentree.  I played it once and didn't care for the layout or the snobby attitude from the staff.

#9 LateralHazard

LateralHazard

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 387698
  • Handicap:1
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 09 November 2017 - 07:28 AM

I lived in Cary about 5 years ago.  I belonged to Devil's Ridge in Holly Springs, pretty good track and good membership.  Easy to find a game there on a Friday, Saturday and Sunday.  They renovated all the greens in late 2012 and came out great. They're part of Clubcorp and Clubcorp took care of all the expense, no assessment!!!!   I have to say I haven't played there in about 2 years,  but really enjoyed my time there.

#10 tngolf22

tngolf22

Robert

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2017 - 08:03 AM

View PostLateralHazard, on 09 November 2017 - 07:28 AM, said:

I lived in Cary about 5 years ago.  I belonged to Devil's Ridge in Holly Springs, pretty good track and good membership.  Easy to find a game there on a Friday, Saturday and Sunday.  They renovated all the greens in late 2012 and came out great. They're part of Clubcorp and Clubcorp took care of all the expense, no assessment!!!!   I have to say I haven't played there in about 2 years,  but really enjoyed my time there.

I forgot about Devil's Ridge.  I played it a few times.  Great course!

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 RBurl

RBurl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 285930
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 09 November 2017 - 08:49 AM

I've lived in Cary for 10 years and my opinion/advice would be:
Old Chatham nicest course in the area
Next level would be MacGregor, Brier Creek, Gov Club, Raleigh CC. I would consider all these on the expensive end and are private. With that being said all courses are looking for members and you could play them once as a potential new member.
Prestonwood has nice facilities, but the course isn't a good layout. Personally, I wouldn't consider there.
UNC Findley is a great course. Duke course is old school US Open type course. NC State is a fun track, but I would much rather play UNC.
More affordable options would be 12 Oaks, The Preserve at Jordan Lake and Chapel Ridge (my favorite of these three, but further away in Pittsboro) if you live near highway 64 it isn't bad.
I really like Bentwinds and Treyburn. I happen to think Treyburn is the best golf for your dollar by far, but it's north of durham and prob 45-50 mins away.  I hope this helps?

Edited by RBurl, 09 November 2017 - 08:49 AM.

#12 cagecitizen

cagecitizen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 406562
  • Handicap:14
GolfWRX Likes : 83

Posted 09 November 2017 - 08:49 AM

My wife and I moved to Raleigh this past August (used to live in New York) and I'm a member of Lonnie Poole - which is just south of downtown. Technically a public course that belongs to NC State, it's actually run like a very nice semi-public course with course conditioning that rivals some of the best private tracks in the RTP area. For what it's worth, I had a chance to play Raleigh Country Club and I wasn't impressed with the layout. It's a late Donald Ross design that's been manicured to the nth degree.

If you want any additional info, or just want to chat with another golfer in the area, send me a DM. Cheers.
  • Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815; Oban Devotion 6 shaft, 65 grams
  • 3-Wood: Nike Covert 2 Standard; Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage (stock)
  • 3-Hybrid: Nike Covert 2 Tour; Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage (stock)
  • Irons: Mizuno MP-H5 (4 through PW); True Temper Dynamic Gold S300
  • Wedges: 50, 56, 60 Titelst SM4 / SM5
  • Putter: BPutters Coyote Model milled from Italian 303SS (heel-shafted)
  • Grips: Golf Pride New Decade MultiCompound (standard / 3-wraps)

#13 tngolf22

tngolf22

Robert

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2017 - 12:13 PM

These responses remind me how many courses I forgot to mention and how many choices there are in the Raleigh area.  I don't know about other parts of the country but there is a wide range of affordability here.  I don't have near the amount of choices in Nashville.  

I've played almost all the Pinehurst courses including #2 and #8.  I played Tobacco Road and some very nice courses in California and Las Vegas, but I would have to say of all the courses I've played, the best all around (layout, condition, facilities, experience) would have to be Old Chatham.  Maybe it was because of the tournament experience but it was a fun course to play.

I would suggest to the OP to set a maximum budget and travel time, and narrow down his search from there since so many choices are available.

#14 TRheezy

TRheezy

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 301091
GolfWRX Likes : 337

Posted 09 November 2017 - 01:26 PM

View Posttngolf22, on 09 November 2017 - 12:13 PM, said:

These responses remind me how many courses I forgot to mention and how many choices there are in the Raleigh area.  I don't know about other parts of the country but there is a wide range of affordability here.  I don't have near the amount of choices in Nashville.  

I've played almost all the Pinehurst courses including #2 and #8.  I played Tobacco Road and some very nice courses in California and Las Vegas, but I would have to say of all the courses I've played, the best all around (layout, condition, facilities, experience) would have to be Old Chatham.  Maybe it was because of the tournament experience but it was a fun course to play.

I would suggest to the OP to set a maximum budget and travel time, and narrow down his search from there since so many choices are available.

Thanks everybody for the responses!  I try to keep my golf budget 200-300 per month to include my wife’s costs as well.  I move around every 3 years so I am not looking for a place with a substantial initiation fee.  I think they have some kind of golf pass book here too that gives you X amount of rounds at x price for a lot of the courses around here.  

Speaking of Nashville, I lived in Brentwood for about 4 years.  Loved everything about Nashville (except road construction and traffic).  Luckily I knew guys at a couple of the various clubs so playing good golf wasn’t too much of a hassle.

Edit: I live near Harrison Pointe in CAry, a couple miles away from prestonwood.

Edited by TRheezy, 09 November 2017 - 01:28 PM.

M1 440 8.5* Elements Platinum Proto 6F5
PING G400 Stretch XPHLEXXX Agera X
M1 3 Hybrid Atmos Blue X
Mizuno MP18 MMC 4-PW C-Taper Lite X

SM6 F Grind 50* LZ 6.5- SM6 M Grind 54* LZ 6.5- SM6 L Grind58* LZ 6.0
Edel E2 Torque Balanced

#15 cagecitizen

cagecitizen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 406562
  • Handicap:14
GolfWRX Likes : 83

Posted 09 November 2017 - 02:16 PM

View PostTRheezy, on 09 November 2017 - 01:26 PM, said:

Thanks everybody for the responses!  I try to keep my golf budget 200-300 per month to include my wife’s costs as well.  I move around every 3 years so I am not looking for a place with a substantial initiation fee.  I think they have some kind of golf pass book here too that gives you X amount of rounds at x price for a lot of the courses around here.  

Speaking of Nashville, I lived in Brentwood for about 4 years.  Loved everything about Nashville (except road construction and traffic).  Luckily I knew guys at a couple of the various clubs so playing good golf wasn’t too much of a hassle.

Edit: I live near Harrison Pointe in CAry, a couple miles away from prestonwood.

If that's your monthly budget and you don't want to be tied down to a hefty imitation fee, I think you're best off getting a membership at one of three University courses in the Triangle. Duke's the most expensive of the three (a little over $3000 a year for single membership), followed by Lonnie Poole and UNC Finley. All three courses are excellent tracks. You do have an uptick in weekend play (given that they are open to the public), but it's a reasonable tradeoff if you're not intending to put down roots in the greater Raleigh area, or you simply balk at spending over $400 a month in member dues.

• Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815; Oban Devotion 6 shaft, 65 grams
  • 3-Wood: Nike Covert 2 Standard; Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage (stock)
  • 3-Hybrid: Nike Covert 2 Tour; Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage (stock)
  • Irons: Mizuno MP-H5 (4 through PW); True Temper Dynamic Gold S300
  • Wedges: 50, 56, 60 Titelst SM4 / SM5
  • Putter: BPutters Coyote Model milled from Italian 303SS (heel-shafted)
  • Grips: Golf Pride New Decade MultiCompound (standard / 3-wraps)

#16 tngolf22

tngolf22

Robert

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2017 - 02:20 PM

View PostTRheezy, on 09 November 2017 - 01:26 PM, said:

I used to work off Wilson Pike across from Brentwood CC (never played it though).  I work in Smyrna now and play at Henry Horton.  I got their annual pass and it's an unbelievable deal, $985/year after tax.  I couldn't pass it up.  

At Harrison Pointe you're 35 mins or less (depends on traffic) from River Ridge, Devil's Ridge, Brier Creek, Eagle Ridge, Lochmere or Lonnie Poole.  I would check all those out.  Not sure the exact dues or if there's even initiation fees but all those might fit your budget.  I know I said River Ridge was $176/month but I think it was only an extra $25-30 to add a spouse.  If they have an intiation fee it's probably low, $1000 or less but it's been a couple years.  Good luck hope you find something you like!

#17 LateralHazard

LateralHazard

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 387698
  • Handicap:1
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 09 November 2017 - 03:25 PM

I forgot to mention, Devils Ridge I believe was around $325/month for my wife and I when we were there.  We got in on a deal and there was not an initiation fee (if you stayed for like 2 years) at that time.  It would be worth a call over there.

#18 Blues Golfer

Blues Golfer

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 40921
GolfWRX Likes : 55

Posted 11 November 2017 - 11:00 AM

If you want private that you can access quickly from home, cant see anything better then Briar creek.  If you are willing to drive a little, look at 12 Oaks.  I am not a member but have played there a good number if times.  Nicklaus course, interesting layout.  From central Cary you could be there in 20-25 minutes down 440 to Hwy 1 to 540.  Huge practice facility, pools, work out facility, and their membership tilts younger than MacGregor.  Monthly is a little over 300 last I heard but with amenities likely fits your needs.

I am a member at another club mentioned, but I think getting there is too big a hassle.  If you are going to join a private, you want it to be accessible for summer evenings.

PM if you want to know something else.  Wherever you choose, welcome to golf heaven.  

#19 Luke.Sutton

Luke.Sutton

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 483170
  • Handicap:3.7
  • Ebay ID:lsutton99
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 13 November 2017 - 06:41 PM

Go play Knights Play ASAP. 27 stadium lit par 3s. My buddies and I used to make 10pm tee times when I was in grad school out there. Good stuff. Also agree with most of the above... take your time and play a ton of courses before you decide whats best for you. I havent heard anyone mention Hope Valley CC. Its worth a look, old school Ross gem.

#20 holy smoke

holy smoke

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 184706
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 15 November 2017 - 07:44 AM

The Preserve, Chapel Ridge and Falls Village can be had for 179.00 a month, its worth a look and maybe the best deal in the triangle.

Edited by holy smoke, 15 November 2017 - 07:44 AM.

Ping G   driver
Ping G   3 wood
Ping G 19 Hybrid
Ping  I200  4-UW
Ping Glide 2.0  54SS/58 ES
Taylormade Spider tour black

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 tngolf22

tngolf22

Robert

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2017 - 08:26 AM

holy smoke, on 15 November 2017 - 07:44 AM, said:

The Preserve, Chapel Ridge and Falls Village can be had for 179.00 a month, its worth a look and maybe the best deal in the triangle.

Wow all three for $179?  I played the Preserve a few times and really liked it.  Funny it's off Jordan Lake and the speed limit leading up to the clubhouse is 23mph lol.  Never played the other two but heard good things about Falls Village.  That would definitely be the best deal in the Triangle.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors