Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Hilton Head Island, Guys Trip, Which package would you choose?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 03ki11erag

03ki11erag

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 221783
  • Handicap:2
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 02 November 2017 - 08:54 PM

So I drew the short straw and have to organize our guys golf trip this year.  Last year was Scottsdale and had a blast so i'm trying to make sure I don't stick us with crap courses.  Trip is a group of 12 in mid April. Golfing Thursday-Saturday.

Group background:  We're all golfers. Some are 20 handicappers and others are +2- 5 handicappers.  We like to drink, play golf and have a good time.  We're also in our mid thirties and most of us have families with little kiddos so dropping $350 on Harbor Town just won't do it.  We need good golf at good prices.

Option 1- Palmetto Dunes courses.  Robert Trent Jones, Hills and Fazio for $310 all in.

Option 2- Heritage Collection.  All courses for $289 Unlimited Golf all in.

It sounds like the Palmetto courses are more popular as far as conditions but that unlimited golf sounds attractive too.  There could be a third option of a combo like RTJ, Oyster Reef & HH National but we probably won't get a price break.  Any advice or comments would be great!  Thanks!

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 HackerDave

HackerDave

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 57404
  • Handicap:11.6
GolfWRX Likes : 172

Posted 03 November 2017 - 07:38 PM

The Heritage courses are.....umm....not good.   Shipyard and Port Royal are garbage.   Oyster Reef is nice. Sea Pines has a 54 hole package for all three courses (Atlantic Dunes, Heron Point and Harbor Town).  Those are each nice courses but as you imagine, probably the most expensive way to go.  The PD courses are nice but the conditioning at the Hills course is always suspect.   They just don't seem to spend money on that track. Between the two options listed, I would go PD all day.  Note there is no range at the Fazio course but the Hills and Jones are close enough that you can warmup there if you are old and stiff like me.  

You can probably find a good deal on Old South, Hilton Head National, CC of Hilton Head, Oyster Reef.   I haven't play Indigo Run but I know they have a package with CC of HH. The two courses at Palmetto Hall are nice tracks but I believe they are now managed by Brown Golf and like Heritage, questionable conditions.  

Where are you staying?  You might find better deals with lodging.

#3 GTgolf

GTgolf

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 296579
  • Handicap:3
GolfWRX Likes : 75

Posted 04 November 2017 - 07:06 AM

Sea pines package is the only way to go.

I'd skip out on Hilton head and go to Myrtle Beach SC. Better golf there.

#4 Hilltopper413

Hilltopper413

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 289885
  • Handicap:1.1
GolfWRX Likes : 81

Posted 04 November 2017 - 11:53 AM

I've done a golf trip to Hilton Head for the last 5 years.  IMO, for the money HH National and Old South can't be beat.  On our trip those two are mainstays in the rotation.  We play them every year.  From there we mix in a few others: Oyster Reef, CC of Hilton Head, Golden Bear, the courses at Palmetto Hall.  We tend to stay away from Palmetto Dunes and Sea Pines courses.  Great places to play, but we don't feel the premium prices are justified.  

I'll echo what others have said:  stay away from Shipyard and Port Royal.

#5 03ki11erag

03ki11erag

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2017 - 01:12 PM

Good info guys!  Thank you!  We're probably going to stay at an Air BNB as the stay and play packages haven't been that beneficial and we like to hang out at a house, throw washers, gamble etc.  Sounds like a combo of Robert Trent Jones, Oyster Reef and one of Hilton Head national, Old South etc would be the way to go.  I appreciate the input.  Any other comments like places to eat, bars to frequent would be appreciated too.

#6 Hilltopper413

Hilltopper413

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 289885
  • Handicap:1.1
GolfWRX Likes : 81

Posted 04 November 2017 - 01:22 PM

View Post03ki11erag, on 04 November 2017 - 01:12 PM, said:

Good info guys!  Thank you!  We're probably going to stay at an Air BNB as the stay and play packages haven't been that beneficial and we like to hang out at a house, throw washers, gamble etc.  Sounds like a combo of Robert Trent Jones, Oyster Reef and one of Hilton Head national, Old South etc would be the way to go.  I appreciate the input.  Any other comments like places to eat, bars to frequent would be appreciated too.

Too many good places to eat to list.  Probably need to be more specific on budget and preferred type of food.  I'll just mention one place.  If you like local, hole in the wall seafood you must eat at the Sea Shack.  Get there early and expect to wait in line.  It's worth it.

As for bars, I wouldn't expect any kind of crazy night life, but there are some good options for drinks with the guys.  Poseidon, in Shelter Cove, has a great outdoor 2nd level patio.  The Frosty Frog in Coligny is always a favorite with out group.  Huge TVs and every possible frozen concoction you can think of.  Other places include Hurricane Bar, The Big Bamboo, the beach bar at the Holiday Inn on South Forrest Beach, Salty Dog, and The Quarter Deck in Harbour Town.

#7 T-MAC

T-MAC

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 220713
GolfWRX Likes : 834

Posted 06 November 2017 - 02:00 PM

The golf "packages" you have listed just don't sound like you would be saving enough money off of their regular prices to justify buying them and being locked in on only playing those courses.  I would pick a decent place to stay, then use either GolfNow for your tee times or simply call the course to find out their best deal for a group.  That way you can play wherever you want and whatever courses have the best rates at that time.  
For what it's worth, I played at Port Royal last month and (surprisingly) it was in terrific condition.  They are usually hit or miss, but it was in the best shape I have seen it in for years.  Shipyard, on the other hand, I would stay away from.
Other good public tracks here are Hilton Head National, Old South, Eagles Point, The Crescent, and Pinecrest (off Island).  On Island I would recommend CC of Hilton Head, Oyster Reef, Bear Creek & Dolphin Head (both used to be private) - all of those are in Hilton Head Plantation.  The Golden Bear in Indigo Run isn't a bad track either but conditions are hit or miss (depending on what time of year and how much rain we get during the summer).  The courses in Palmetto Dunes are good but pricey, and (so far anyway) Brown Golf management hasn't ruined the courses in Palmetto Hall........yet.
As it gets closer to mid April, send me a PM and I'll give you any information on conditioning and whatever else is going on here.  Be happy to help.

#8 jmac13

jmac13

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 55800
GolfWRX Likes : 180

Posted 06 November 2017 - 05:11 PM

View PostT-MAC, on 06 November 2017 - 02:00 PM, said:

The golf "packages" you have listed just don't sound like you would be saving enough money off of their regular prices to justify buying them and being locked in on only playing those courses.  I would pick a decent place to stay, then use either GolfNow for your tee times or simply call the course to find out their best deal for a group.  That way you can play wherever you want and whatever courses have the best rates at that time.  
For what it's worth, I played at Port Royal last month and (surprisingly) it was in terrific condition.  They are usually hit or miss, but it was in the best shape I have seen it in for years.  Shipyard, on the other hand, I would stay away from.
Other good public tracks here are Hilton Head National, Old South, Eagles Point, The Crescent, and Pinecrest (off Island).  On Island I would recommend CC of Hilton Head, Oyster Reef, Bear Creek & Dolphin Head (both used to be private) - all of those are in Hilton Head Plantation.  The Golden Bear in Indigo Run isn't a bad track either but conditions are hit or miss (depending on what time of year and how much rain we get during the summer).  The courses in Palmetto Dunes are good but pricey, and (so far anyway) Brown Golf management hasn't ruined the courses in Palmetto Hall........yet.
As it gets closer to mid April, send me a PM and I'll give you any information on conditioning and whatever else is going on here.  Be happy to help.

I played the Crescent when I was there a couple of weeks ago and I enjoyed the layout but the course itself was in poor shape. Greens were okay but the fairways and tees were ugh... I didn't mind as I got to play it for $20 but it was the worst course conditions I've ever played in the HHI/Bluffton area. Bear Creek and Port Royal were in good shape when I was able to play them.

#9 cwinedds

cwinedds

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 282894
  • Handicap:19
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 06 November 2017 - 08:11 PM

I would see if brown would give you a package deal on dolphin head and the two palmetto hall courses. Brown has seemed to keep the conditions pretty good there. If you could get like $60-70 per round on those courses I think that would fit the budget and dolphin head is usually pretty good.

#10 T-MAC

T-MAC

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2017 - 11:03 PM

View Postjmac13, on 06 November 2017 - 05:11 PM, said:

I played the Crescent when I was there a couple of weeks ago and I enjoyed the layout but the course itself was in poor shape. Greens were okay but the fairways and tees were ugh... I didn't mind as I got to play it for $20 but it was the worst course conditions I've ever played in the HHI/Bluffton area. Bear Creek and Port Royal were in good shape when I was able to play them.

That's a shame about the Crescent.  It's a great Palmer signature course on some nice property (especially the back 9).  Brown Management had it for years and conditions were hit or miss.  They just got rid of Brown so hopefully the new management company will bring it back.  Brown also lost Rose Hill and Eagles Point.  They got tired of his crap too.  Brown does tend to keep the courses in Palmetto Hall and Dolphin Head in decent condition (although he hasn't been there very long) and he keeps Pinecrest in good shape, mostly because the IJGA kids are there and he doesn't want to lose them.  However, last I heard Pinecrest is going after him for not paying his POA fees.  He's known for being cheap.  I hope his kid turns things around (supposedly turned the business over to him).  Hopefully things go well with the rest of the courses they own / manage.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 03ki11erag

03ki11erag

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2017 - 09:31 AM

I agree about the value of the packages. There really isnít much of a price break. Iím also trying a local service that is going to give me a quote on RTJ, Oyster Reef and HHN. Thanks for the input.

#12 bogeypro

bogeypro

The Original Bogeypro

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,895 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3842
  • Handicap:+1
GolfWRX Likes : 823

Posted 08 November 2017 - 10:04 AM

View PostGTgolf, on 04 November 2017 - 07:06 AM, said:

I second this.  Much prefer golf in Myrtle to Hilton Head.  Was disappointed in HH to be honest.  It's pretty much Sea Pines or bust, IMO.
TaylorMade M1 9.5 w/HZRDUS black (2017)
TaylorMade M1 15 w/Diamana S+ (2017)
Callaway Epic 19* hybrid w/Recoil
Mizuno MP18 SC 4-pw w/C Taper Lite
Mizuno T7 wedges 52/56/60
Scotty Cameron Golo 5 (2014) -OR- Bettinardi Studio Stock 16
Chrome Soft Truvis pink

GHIN: 5443949

#13 03ki11erag

03ki11erag

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2017 - 03:50 PM

Doing Robert Trent Jones, Hilton Head National and Oyster Reef.  Thanks for the input.

#14 jmac13

jmac13

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 55800
GolfWRX Likes : 180

Posted 09 November 2017 - 06:30 PM

View Post03ki11erag, on 09 November 2017 - 03:50 PM, said:

Doing Robert Trent Jones, Hilton Head National and Oyster Reef.  Thanks for the input.

Have you decided on accommodations?

#15 T-MAC

T-MAC

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2017 - 10:01 PM

View Postbogeypro, on 08 November 2017 - 10:04 AM, said:

View PostGTgolf, on 04 November 2017 - 07:06 AM, said:

I second this.  Much prefer golf in Myrtle to Hilton Head.  Was disappointed in HH to be honest.  It's pretty much Sea Pines or bust, IMO.

You must not have played the right courses in Hilton Head then.
MB definitely has more courses in their area, but I would say that they have a lot more bad / poor conditioned courses than they do good ones.  On the other hand, there are only a couple courses in HHI that I wouldn't recommend to people.  There's some very good public golf in HHI / Bluffton, and I think they have a string of the best private courses in the country for those that have access to them (belong to a private Club and have their Head Pro call).
I would break it down this way.  If I was going on a GUYS ONLY golf trip, and since I've been to MB on several occasions and know both the good and the bad tracks, I would have no problem picking MB as a destination.  Some good golf there and good night life.  If I were going on a trip with friends and family (especially if wives and kids are involved) I would go to HHI hands down.  Good golf, good restaurants, and nice beaches and shopping to keep the family involved while I'm out on the links.
Just my .02 cents.

#16 munihack

munihack

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 194186
GolfWRX Likes : 22

Posted 13 November 2017 - 11:26 AM

If I was going on a GUYS ONLY golf trip, and since I've been to MB on several occasions and know both the good and the bad tracks, I would have no problem picking MB as a destination.  Some good golf there and good night life.  If I were going on a trip with friends and family (especially if wives and kids are involved) I would go to HHI hands down.  Good golf, good restaurants, and nice beaches and shopping to keep the family involved while I'm out on the links.

was coming to say this but you summed it up perfectly

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors