Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Demo Clubs for Juniors?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 darter79

darter79

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66967
GolfWRX Likes : 43

Posted 02 November 2017 - 08:26 PM

One bad thing about junior golf is almost impossible to demo clubs. I know a lot of y'all play adult drivers, and my daughter is getting close to that point. My problem, no way to demo to see results outside of buying shafts from Flynn then going to the local golf store with shafts in hand of which some I won't ever use.  How have y'all demo drivers or did you just buy something and made them stick with it? Anyone got any extra Flynn shafts laying around?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 Noles

Noles

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 136360
GolfWRX Likes : 256

Posted 02 November 2017 - 08:44 PM

Get old models used on eBay.  Cut them down and see how it works.  Go from there.  Itís really trial and error when they are in between like that.

#3 leezer99

leezer99

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
GolfWRX Likes : 161

Posted 02 November 2017 - 08:45 PM

Not sure why everyone is so high on those Flynn shafts.  Took them to cool clubs and they didn't all spec out at the same flex.

#4 wildcatden

wildcatden

China Cat Sunflower

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 481904
GolfWRX Likes : 18

Posted 02 November 2017 - 09:07 PM

If she is ready for her first set of adult clubs, maybe it is worth the investment to go get professionally fitted?

#5 darter79

darter79

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2017 - 06:55 AM

View Postwildcatden, on 02 November 2017 - 09:07 PM, said:

If she is ready for her first set of adult clubs, maybe it is worth the investment to go get professionally fitted?

not for full adult clubs just the driver.

Anyone know what the main difference between women's and mens drivers are or is it just graphics and a little weight.

#6 hangontight

hangontight

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 477968
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 03 November 2017 - 08:29 AM

Following this, we are in exact same boat.  So far, the best I can figure is to do as much research and seek feedback on specific clubs but at some point you will need to pick a horse and go with it.  Unfortunately, we do not live in an area with a huge group of higher level juniors who may be willing to let us demo some of their more customized clubs for comparison.  I did talk to a reputable fitter in our area and was surprised to learn that they did have a good variety of Junior and Ladies driver heads on site for fitting (Cobra Junior F7, Ping G382 Junior, and lots of ladies heads).  The equally important component of the equation though is the shaft , which they didn't have a lot of options for int he YOUNG Junior sizes.  Like you said, we could buy a few Flynn shafts to bring in for fitting with the OEM heads.  However, I believe that when you order Flynn shafts for OEM heads that Mike uses an adapter sleeve on each shaft specific to the OEM brand.  In other words, if you wanted to test a TM M2 vs. a cobra F7 it looks like you would have to buy 2 different shafts ($59/ea.)   The trial and error could get expensive.   I've poured through lots of previous threads on here and have even PM'd a few users direct about specific clubs that I picked up their kids were using, hoping to get some good feedback (thanks to a few of you who responded!).  

Mens vs. Ladies vs. Junior ........Speaking to a few OEM manufacturers direct, I did find out that most of the time the "Junior" clubs and the "Ladies" clubs are very close to identical, if not exactly identical - usually a smidge less in weight than the mens clubs but have higher lofts.   Taylormade confirmed that the 2016 M2 JUNIOR drivers (they did not produce in 2017) are exactly the same as the LADIES M2.    This opens up lots of pre-owned options as I have found some good deals available for used ladies driver, FW ,a nd hyb. heads.

#7 darter79

darter79

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2017 - 08:53 AM

View Posthangontight, on 03 November 2017 - 08:29 AM, said:

Following this, we are in exact same boat.  So far, the best I can figure is to do as much research and seek feedback on specific clubs but at some point you will need to pick a horse and go with it.  Unfortunately, we do not live in an area with a huge group of higher level juniors who may be willing to let us demo some of their more customized clubs for comparison.  I did talk to a reputable fitter in our area and was surprised to learn that they did have a good variety of Junior and Ladies driver heads on site for fitting (Cobra Junior F7, Ping G382 Junior, and lots of ladies heads).  The equally important component of the equation though is the shaft , which they didn't have a lot of options for int he YOUNG Junior sizes.  Like you said, we could buy a few Flynn shafts to bring in for fitting with the OEM heads.  However, I believe that when you order Flynn shafts for OEM heads that Mike uses an adapter sleeve on each shaft specific to the OEM brand.  In other words, if you wanted to test a TM M2 vs. a cobra F7 it looks like you would have to buy 2 different shafts ($59/ea.)   The trial and error could get expensive.   I've poured through lots of previous threads on here and have even PM'd a few users direct about specific clubs that I picked up their kids were using, hoping to get some good feedback (thanks to a few of you who responded!).  

Mens vs. Ladies vs. Junior ........Speaking to a few OEM manufacturers direct, I did find out that most of the time the "Junior" clubs and the "Ladies" clubs are very close to identical, if not exactly identical - usually a smidge less in weight than the mens clubs but have higher lofts.   Taylormade confirmed that the 2016 M2 JUNIOR drivers (they did not produce in 2017) are exactly the same as the LADIES M2. This opens up lots of pre-owned options as I have found some good deals available for used ladies driver, FW ,a nd hyb. heads.

I agree on the shafts. Need a trade section for shafts, heck any shaft in close to the right length in order to try heads.  I'm close to just buying the shafts in hopes I can just resell them either on here or eBay and loose a little just to get the right head. I can easily to go any golf store stick her on a launch monitor figure out what head is best but with out the proper length shaft its pointless.

Anyone have an older shafts with adapters they are not using???

#8 MikekiM

MikekiM

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 415850
GolfWRX Likes : 21

Posted 03 November 2017 - 02:32 PM

I did buy a shaft from Flynn with both a TM adapter and a Callaway adapter when I was sizing up for my son.  We spent a couple days at the local golf store trying out both TM and Callaway heads.  After we settled on the TM adapter I sold the Callaway shaft to a friend.  Recouped about 90% of my cost on it so was totally worth it.

We got a new shaft about 2" longer just a couple months ago, and eventually we'll use one of these shorter shafts and pick up an M1 3W.  We can then rotate through the shafts without having to buy any new heads for a few years.
Taylor Made R15
Ping G25
Taylor Made Jetspeed Hybrid
Titleist T-MB
Titleist 716 CB
Titleist Vokey SM6
Scotty Cameron Newport
K-Sig Ball

#9 darter79

darter79

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2017 - 07:59 PM

View PostMikekiM, on 03 November 2017 - 02:32 PM, said:

I did buy a shaft from Flynn with both a TM adapter and a Callaway adapter when I was sizing up for my son.  We spent a couple days at the local golf store trying out both TM and Callaway heads.  After we settled on the TM adapter I sold the Callaway shaft to a friend.  Recouped about 90% of my cost on it so was totally worth it.

We got a new shaft about 2" longer just a couple months ago, and eventually we'll use one of these shorter shafts and pick up an M1 3W.  We can then rotate through the shafts without having to buy any new heads for a few years.

Just wish there was a better option. I’m looking at all of the major brands.  Cobra tm callaway Ping.  Don’t want to spend over $200 for sample shafts, but I might have to narrow the focus a bit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors