Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Callaway Apex CF16 or Taylormade P790, need help


  • Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 TheMotorCity

TheMotorCity

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 13029
  • Joined: 03/05/2006
  • Location:"South Detroit"
  • Handicap:4.8
GolfWRX Likes : 49

Posted 02 November 2017 - 01:40 PM

I'm going to save everyone my whole life story of my game and what I've tested. It has come down to these two irons. The Callaway Apex CF16 and the Taylormade P790. Two different clubfitters recommended the Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, so when I tested these irons the shaft was the same. Problem is they both came in almost equal. Hit them both really well and consistent. But which one wins out I have no frickin clue. Hit the 790 a little higher but other than that numbers were fairly close. nothing that really put one club over the other.
The biggest difference is no upcharge for the Callaway while Taylormade will charge for the LZ. That's really about it.
Im not really getting caught in the hype of the new P790. Its brand new so the hype is going to be higher while the Apex has been out for a few years so I keep that in perspective.
So here's the million dollar question, WHICH ONE !!!!! Any thoughts would be great


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#2 sheppy335

sheppy335

    TMAG Junkie

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 5,817 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11865
  • Joined: 02/13/2006
  • Location:Pittsburgh PA
  • Handicap:19
  • Ebay ID:sheppy33
GolfWRX Likes : 683

Posted 02 November 2017 - 02:22 PM

You are in a pickle, to me they are both excellent choices. If you are not a one brand guy and you feel they perform the same plus both look good to you in the bag and at address then go with cost. I wish i was more help but you are in a difficult spot. I will say this you will be happy with either and don't second guess yourself.
TM M1 430 TP 10.5 Mitsubishi Kai'li
TM M2 Tour 15 Kuro Kage
TM RBZ Tour HL3 17 UST V2
TM TP UDI 2 iron 18 UST Recoil 110
TM TP UDI 3 iron 20 Paderson KINETXX 950
TM RSi TP UDI 4 iron 23 Aldila Trinity 65
TM PSi 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 130
TM xFT TP 50, 54, 58 Nippon Pro WV115
TM Rossa Ghost Tour AGSI+ FO-74

I drop the 2 iron or one of the other UDI's based on course.

2

#3 PunkGolfWRX

PunkGolfWRX

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8839
  • Joined: 12/17/2005
  • Location:UK
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 02 November 2017 - 02:36 PM

I was in a similar position. Went for CF16. The P790 might be a sexier club to look at but thats where it ended for me. The CF16 is just a heck of an iron and the LZ shafts go incredibly well with those heads. By the way, Id come from TM irons fitted at the Kingdom and so choosing the Callaway really was about pure performance.
Adams 9064LD 7.5 - Grafalloy Booyah 50g X
Callaway XR Pro 3 Deep 14 - Project X LZ 6.0
Callaway Legacy 2 Black 20 - Project X HZRDUS Black 6.5
Callaway APEX CF16 4-PW - UST Mamiya Recoil ES 780 F4
Callaway MD3 Milled Lucky Clover 50/10 S Grind - DG Tour Issue (Black Onyx) S200
Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56/13 - UST Mamiya Recoil 110 F4
Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 64/10 - UST Mamiya Recoil 110 F4
Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Del Mar 3.5 (Custom Black) - 34.5"

3

#4 argee1977

argee1977

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 401588
  • Joined: 11/02/2015
  • Location:UK
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 02 November 2017 - 03:48 PM

I do love the CF16s i have, they're the same as above, never tried the 790s, but i just found i got better deals on the CFs, whereas 790s and the rest were all new and a bit too expensive for my liking, considering i could pick up these for less. I think your choice is going to have to come down to looks, i know that they do look quite different, so if all else is the same, do you like the duller, more cavity look of the CF, or the shinier, more enclosed look of the 790?

4

#5 kooch1221

kooch1221

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1386
  • Joined: 06/05/2005
  • Location:Long Island, NY
GolfWRX Likes : 47

Posted 02 November 2017 - 04:02 PM

If its even numbers wise I'd go with whichever had the better sole grind for my swing. For that you obviously have to test them on turf

Edited by kooch1221, 02 November 2017 - 04:03 PM.


5

#6 Jwowzer

Jwowzer

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 240117
  • Joined: 03/22/2013
  • Location:Seattle
GolfWRX Likes : 33

Posted 02 November 2017 - 05:00 PM

How long do you plan on keeping them? P790's are about a year and a half newer iron. There's talk of the Apex being replaced at the beginning of 2018.
917D3 8.5* Atmos Blue 6X
917F2 15* Motore Speeder 7.2 X
915Hd 20.5* Rogue Black 85 S
716 AP2 4-PW Project X LZ 5.5 tipped .5"
Vokey SM6 50.12* F, TVD 54* K 58* K
Bettinardi Kuchar Model 2 KBS Tour Custom Black/Blue 34"

6

#7 kyle75

kyle75

    Tour Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 568 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 238521
  • Joined: 03/16/2013
  • Location:ohio
GolfWRX Likes : 346

Posted 02 November 2017 - 05:55 PM

I was one of the group that went to TM for the 790 release and I was playing the Callaway Apex CF 16 irons when I went out there.  They are very similar irons in terms of performance.  The one difference that I had was the difference in spin between the two.  I had quite a bit less spin with the Apex, so I had to play a shaft that helped me hit it higher to stop it on the greens.  With the 790's, I get the same distance with more spin.  You will like either set, so it really just comes down to which one feels better to you.

7

#8 N8dogg2669

N8dogg2669

    Newbie

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 418748
  • Joined: 04/02/2016
  • Location:Washington, MI
  • Handicap:3.7
  • Ebay ID:Bulldog1382
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 02 November 2017 - 06:01 PM

I have the CF16's and i love them. Come from playing Mizuno's for years. Swore I would never change until i hit the CF16. The mishits with the CF16's are amazing in my opinion.

8

#9 Medic

Medic

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,613 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132567
  • Joined: 07/08/2011
  • Location:Florida
  • Handicap:5.8
GolfWRX Likes : 6898

Posted 02 November 2017 - 06:51 PM

I love my irons and am getting really great results from them. Having hit other forged irons I can attest that mine are not nearly as soft feeling but they more than make up for this in forgiveness and consistency.

Having said all of that this isn't my decision. I happen to love Callaway and am not quite as big of a fan of TM regarding their irons. The TM drivers are a completely different story.

In the end, were this my decision and being/remaining completely open minded, it would come down to three things for me:
1. Cost
2. Performance
3 Gut instinct on which one seems to "be the one"

Let us know what you go with!
Titleist 915D2 with Kuro Kage 60s in 45.25 set at 12*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Apex CF16 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Callaway Mack Daddy 2 Slate 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Odyssey Versa 9 34"
Callaway Chrome Soft

9

#10 Hehateme

Hehateme

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 133784
  • Joined: 07/21/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 31

Posted 02 November 2017 - 08:26 PM

Buy whichever one you decide on from Worldwide Golf/Edwin watts and you have a 90 day satisfaction guarantee. If you don't like the first choice you take them back and get the other. Problem solved


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#11 Razorback84

Razorback84

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 469162
  • Joined: 05/26/2017
  • Location:Arkansas
  • Ebay ID:Razorbacks84
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 02 November 2017 - 09:36 PM

I'll be following this one as well, both of these clubs are on my short list to include a few others.

11

#12 HackATK

HackATK

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 484192
  • Joined: 10/12/2017
  • Location:Lebanon, TN
  • Ebay ID:greeneminem420
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 03 November 2017 - 04:10 PM

I have been in the process as well with getting fitted and those were my last 2 options that worked great for me. I ended up going with the apex black cause it just felt that much better to get me to buy them. It's down to your feel but I vote apex! I also bag a TM M1 driver too, so I'm not biased..

Edited by HackATK, 03 November 2017 - 04:12 PM.


12

#13 Tommyj

Tommyj

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 40570
  • Joined: 10/08/2007
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 03 November 2017 - 05:21 PM

 Jwowzer, on 02 November 2017 - 05:00 PM, said:

How long do you plan on keeping them? P790's are about a year and a half newer iron. There's talk of the Apex being replaced at the beginning of 2018.

I agree with this.  I wouldn't buy the Apex with an update on the horizon unless they are offering attractive discounts on it.

13

#14 1toGolf

1toGolf

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3434
  • Joined: 07/27/2005
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 03 November 2017 - 06:14 PM

 Tommyj, on 03 November 2017 - 05:21 PM, said:

 Jwowzer, on 02 November 2017 - 05:00 PM, said:

How long do you plan on keeping them? P790's are about a year and a half newer iron. There's talk of the Apex being replaced at the beginning of 2018.

I agree with this.  I wouldn't buy the Apex with an update on the horizon unless they are offering attractive discounts on it.
According to Callaway, the Apex will continue into next years cycle. No new replacement.

14

#15 TheMotorCity

TheMotorCity

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 13029
  • Joined: 03/05/2006
  • Location:"South Detroit"
  • Handicap:4.8
GolfWRX Likes : 49

Posted 04 November 2017 - 08:12 PM

Leaning slightly towards the P790's


15

#16 Green in Reg

Green in Reg

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 292757
  • Joined: 01/21/2014
  • Location:Scottsdale, Az
  • Handicap:4.9
GolfWRX Likes : 81

Posted 04 November 2017 - 10:25 PM

I am gaming the Apexs now and have the P790s on the way. I will be able to give you my opinion when my P790s arrive in December... sucks to wait that long!
GBB Epic SZ 10.5*- Diamana blue board
TEE E8 Beta 15*
Adams a12 hybrids 19* and 22*
Callaway Apex CF16 5-PW
Titleist Vokey 50* 55* and 60*
Spider Tour (JD- Red) 33"

16

#17 TheMotorCity

TheMotorCity

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 13029
  • Joined: 03/05/2006
  • Location:"South Detroit"
  • Handicap:4.8
GolfWRX Likes : 49

Posted 10 November 2017 - 08:31 PM

 Medic, on 02 November 2017 - 06:51 PM, said:

I love my irons and am getting really great results from them. Having hit other forged irons I can attest that mine are not nearly as soft feeling but they more than make up for this in forgiveness and consistency.

Having said all of that this isn't my decision. I happen to love Callaway and am not quite as big of a fan of TM regarding their irons. The TM drivers are a completely different story.

In the end, were this my decision and being/remaining completely open minded, it would come down to three things for me:
1. Cost
2. Performance
3 Gut instinct on which one seems to "be the one"

Let us know what you go with!

Went with the Callaway Apex CF16 came down to the wire but with no upcharge for my shaft and the fact that I just hit these better, it became clear the Apex won. Kind of got caught in the 790 hype . Had to clear my mind and stay clear of the advertising promises and get what works best. Thanks everyone, your comments really helped.

17

#18 falken19150

falken19150

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,451 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 72546
  • Joined: 01/12/2009
  • Location:San Francisco, CA
  • Handicap:3
GolfWRX Likes : 365

Posted 10 November 2017 - 08:58 PM

790s all the way. Really incredible performing package.

18

#19 pinestreetgolf

pinestreetgolf

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,753 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 435010
  • Joined: 08/02/2016
  • Location:Louisiana
  • Handicap:3
  • Ebay ID:butlerj_dickinson
GolfWRX Likes : 779

Posted 10 November 2017 - 09:43 PM

 TheMotorCity, on 02 November 2017 - 01:40 PM, said:

I'm going to save everyone my whole life story of my game and what I've tested. It has come down to these two irons. The Callaway Apex CF16 and the Taylormade P790. Two different clubfitters recommended the Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, so when I tested these irons the shaft was the same. Problem is they both came in almost equal. Hit them both really well and consistent. But which one wins out I have no frickin clue. Hit the 790 a little higher but other than that numbers were fairly close. nothing that really put one club over the other.
The biggest difference is no upcharge for the Callaway while Taylormade will charge for the LZ. That's really about it.
Im not really getting caught in the hype of the new P790. Its brand new so the hype is going to be higher while the Apex has been out for a few years so I keep that in perspective.
So here's the million dollar question, WHICH ONE !!!!! Any thoughts would be great

Flip a penny outside for it. Heads CF16, tails 790. Flip it up in the air but don't catch it. Let it hit the ground. You'll immediately root for one or the other to win. Buy that one. Never look at the penny to check who would have won.

Edited by pinestreetgolf, 10 November 2017 - 09:44 PM.

Kuro Kage Blue 60 X:
M2 10*
XR 15*, XR 19*

s300:
Burner Rescue 22*, 25*
a4 Forged 5-PW (1* weak, 3* up, -1.25")
Engage 52*, 58* (4* up)

Fitted Edel

19

#20 Parker0065

Parker0065

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124513
  • Joined: 03/14/2011
  • Location:Saratoga Tournament Scoring Avg - 73.34
  • Handicap:Pro
GolfWRX Likes : 405

Posted 14 November 2017 - 07:48 PM

Both irons are very comparable. For me it was a no brainer with TM supporting the military, both active and prior service. At these prices a 15% discount is a nice chunk of change to save. I traded in a set as well so total price for 8 custom irons came to just over $900.
I'll give TM some kudos as well in their customer service. I made a change well after my order and they accommodated me no.problem.
In my experience, Taylormade Rocks!!!!!


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#21 Razorback84

Razorback84

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 469162
  • Joined: 05/26/2017
  • Location:Arkansas
  • Ebay ID:Razorbacks84
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 14 November 2017 - 10:32 PM

 Parker0065, on 14 November 2017 - 07:48 PM, said:

Both irons are very comparable. For me it was a no brainer with TM supporting the military, both active and prior service. At these prices a 15% discount is a nice chunk of change to save. I traded in a set as well so total price for 8 custom irons came to just over $900.
I'll give TM some kudos as well in their customer service. I made a change well after my order and they accommodated me no.problem.
In my experience, Taylormade Rocks!!!!!

Callaway gives a 10% military discount to active and vets as well.

21



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors