Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Hello from NC i have a developing jr. golfer with questions

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rbj69

rbj69

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 432282
  • Handicap:14
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 02 November 2017 - 01:12 PM

HI, so my son started playing some at 7 and now is 8 and this season played all he could and practice, we have had some great fun been he is so adamit about beating me that he is now not worrying as much about his hiccups like putting , basically if he knows he cant beat me on a hole he just gets down and says u beat me this hole and the excitement is gone for him so he gives up , i tell him to work on his game and not beating me but that does nto seem to have an effect, how can i make him who has this competitve drive i like stay competitive even is he is not winning btw this happens during the uskids tournys as well, when he won one tournament he was on top of the world but then he did not win anymore and his world just got crushed

thanks for any advice

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 wildcatden

wildcatden

China Cat Sunflower

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 481904
GolfWRX Likes : 15

Posted 02 November 2017 - 01:55 PM

I would try a couple things:

1.  Keep reminding him that he is playing against the course (and not you).
2.  Perhaps consider not playing with him (only caddie him) for a while.
3. At this age (and any age), short game is important. Maybe skip playing rounds and spend more time practicing....but at "practice" make it all about games. Can he chip 5 out of 10 chips within 2 club lengths? Can he putt 5 out of 10 within 1 club length?    Better developing these skills may translate on the course.
4. Whatever you do...make it about fun....no pressure on winning/playing great/etc....

As parents, we know that each kid is different and has differing levels of development. My kid gets frustrated also at times. I try to also remind him that "it's not over" (the round is not over) and to simply "control  his emotions". These are all tall tasks for a young developing mind.

#3 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
GolfWRX Likes : 792

Posted 02 November 2017 - 02:33 PM

Wildcat gives some very sound advice.

I stopped playing golf with my son when he was 8 for this very reason.  I maybe play 3 times a year now and am a member at a club.  I am out on the course at least 4 days every week and never play.  i am there to enjoy the outdoors only and to watch my kid play.

My kid was very competitive and would not give up.  Playing with him became a detriment to his ego.  He would, and sometimes still does, get lost with numbers.

As far as the US Kids side, he needs to realize that every shot counts towards tour points.  1 stroke can translate into one spot ahead.  You need to teach him about the tour points and it is a marathon, not a sprint.  The best players in the World don't win every week out.  Justin Thomas lost the season ending tour championship, but still was the Fed Ex Cup leader and won $10 million.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors