Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

What to tell a wife that hates golf

70 replies to this topic

#61 baller4opca

baller4opca

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 291553
  • Handicap:13
GolfWRX Likes : 44

Posted 10 November 2017 - 07:07 AM

Thanks for all the sage advice albeit some are quite out there.  Lol. Just to clarify, I highly encourage my wife to do things on her own and I am glad to watch our child.  Secondly, I took up golf after we met, not before so she had no idea and neither did I that I would call hard for the game. Thirdly, my guess is that she always talks about her grandmother being a "golf widow" and doesn't want to be one.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#62 DancingShadows

DancingShadows

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 443570
  • Ebay ID:DavisSexton
GolfWRX Likes : 37

Posted 10 November 2017 - 04:29 PM

Sheesh this thread making me absolutely want to stay single. The current gf constantly complains about my weekend tourneys (like 7 or 8 this year) and just imagining that progress sounds like a hell I want no part of.

#63 SilverBullets

SilverBullets

BMW

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,463 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139485
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 1973

Posted 10 November 2017 - 04:56 PM

DancingShadows, on 10 November 2017 - 04:29 PM, said:

Sheesh this thread making me absolutely want to stay single. The current gf constantly complains about my weekend tourneys (like 7 or 8 this year) and just imagining that progress sounds like a hell I want no part of.

Nah just have to find the right partner.  My wife is pretty awesome.  She gets that golf makes me happy, it's my way of relaxing, connecting with my buddies and/or just getting away.  As long as I don't over do it she encourages me to play.  Over doing it is when  I start getting into the 4 day a week range.  Like both weekend days and a couple nights.

My main thing is I am just always mindful of her/our plans on the weekend.  So I don't have a set time.  She's not a huge early bird so I know if I get out before 9am I am all clear.  I just make sure golf fits into the schedule so we can do everything we want to do and have a great week.  Like we like to cycle (well I like to cycle, she loves to cycle) so on the weekends I make sure there is to get a ride in when she wants to ride.  I just adjust my golf around it.

It's a give and take.  She gets that it's a huge part of who I am and what makes me happy and I get that I shouldn't be at a course all weekend long.  So we both compromise a bit.  I shift my times and make sure golf isn't really interfering with the weekend and she's cool with it.  It's also a lot easier because we don't have kids (nor do we want kids).

A handful of years ago she finally got the itch to see what golf was all about.  She loves it now.  She doesn't like playing more than once a week (unless it's 18 on the weekend and a week night 9) but she really enjoys it.  That has certainly made some things easier.  She knows part of why I love golf is the competition and having some guy time.  So weekend where she wants to golf, it becomes 2 round weekends for me.  one with my buddies and one with her.

I started this post by saying my wife is pretty awesome right?  The fact is, we are best friends and we both just understand each.  We understand what make each other tick.  I feel like having a partner who didn't want me to play golf would make me want to be less flexible and would lead to more issues.  But she is considerate of my interests so I make sure it fits in with her plans as well...
Taylormade '17 M2 9.5* - Rogue Silver 70 X
Taylormade '16 M2 15*
Titleist 910F 19*
Callaway Apex 4i thru PW - Nippon Modus 125 Tour X
Vokey SM6 50*, 54*, 58*
Bettinardi BB40

#64 Double Mocha Man

Double Mocha Man

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 232183
  • Handicap:3
GolfWRX Likes : 122

Posted 12 November 2017 - 04:22 PM

SilverBullets, on 10 November 2017 - 04:56 PM, said:

DancingShadows, on 10 November 2017 - 04:29 PM, said:

Nah just have to find the right partner.  My wife is pretty awesome.  She gets that golf makes me happy, it's my way of relaxing, connecting with my buddies and/or just getting away.  As long as I don't over do it she encourages me to play.  Over doing it is when  I start getting into the 4 day a week range.  Like both weekend days and a couple nights.

My main thing is I am just always mindful of her/our plans on the weekend.  So I don't have a set time.  She's not a huge early bird so I know if I get out before 9am I am all clear.  I just make sure golf fits into the schedule so we can do everything we want to do and have a great week.  Like we like to cycle (well I like to cycle, she loves to cycle) so on the weekends I make sure there is to get a ride in when she wants to ride.  I just adjust my golf around it.

It's a give and take.  She gets that it's a huge part of who I am and what makes me happy and I get that I shouldn't be at a course all weekend long.  So we both compromise a bit.  I shift my times and make sure golf isn't really interfering with the weekend and she's cool with it.  It's also a lot easier because we don't have kids (nor do we want kids).

A handful of years ago she finally got the itch to see what golf was all about.  She loves it now.  She doesn't like playing more than once a week (unless it's 18 on the weekend and a week night 9) but she really enjoys it.  That has certainly made some things easier.  She knows part of why I love golf is the competition and having some guy time.  So weekend where she wants to golf, it becomes 2 round weekends for me.  one with my buddies and one with her.

I started this post by saying my wife is pretty awesome right?  The fact is, we are best friends and we both just understand each.  We understand what make each other tick.  I feel like having a partner who didn't want me to play golf would make me want to be less flexible and would lead to more issues.  But she is considerate of my interests so I make sure it fits in with her plans as well...

And hopefully you showed this to your wife for reading.  You know, this was essentially a love letter to your wife.
3.0 GHIN Index - trending down

#65 BeerPerHole

BeerPerHole

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 459940
GolfWRX Likes : 166

Posted 13 November 2017 - 11:53 AM

Was listening to an interesting podcast on the way in this morning. It was a recent interview of the guy who wrote Men are from Mars... I immediately thought of this thread and the various viewpoints on it. What this guy was talking about, though, brings it back to providing for your spouse what they emotionally need to help with their happiness and health. Being a golfing husband with a woman who fights it fits the discussion perfectly.

Thank god my wife loves to play golf...oh thank god...she even likes to go fishing. There is a god...

#66 bscinstnct

bscinstnct

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,258 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77664
GolfWRX Likes : 13205

Posted 13 November 2017 - 04:49 PM

I say,

"I'm going to go play golf, back in 6 hours"

Wife be like,

Posted Image

Edited by bscinstnct, 13 November 2017 - 06:31 PM.

#67 JerseyBoy

JerseyBoy

Advanced

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 330 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 482144
GolfWRX Likes : 197

Posted 13 November 2017 - 07:08 PM

bscinstnct, on 13 November 2017 - 04:49 PM, said:

I say,

"I'm going to go play golf, back in 6 hours"

Wife be like,

Posted Image

And Warren Haynes is your avatar. My man.

#68 N8dogg2669

N8dogg2669

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 418748
  • Handicap:3.7
  • Ebay ID:Bulldog1382
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 20 November 2017 - 08:36 PM

Tell her good bye

#69 Jacked_Loft

Jacked_Loft

Scramble 4 your life!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 449174
  • Handicap:Nix
GolfWRX Likes : 160

Posted Yesterday, 09:08 AM

golfandfishing, on 03 November 2017 - 01:40 PM, said:

Hate to say this but, I doubt she hates golf. She hates you enjoying yourself.

Hate to say it, but this sounds terribly correct.
WIMB:

Pure TaylorMade

M2 10.5° Kuro Kage 60 S
M1 3 FW Kuro Kage 70 S
M1 5 FW Kuro Kage 70 S
P790 3 Iron Tour AD HY 85 S
P770 4-PW & AW Nippon 950 S
MG 56° LB Wedge KBS T 8 Iron Shaft S
TP Platinum Putter SS GTR 2.0
TP5 X

#70 baller4opca

baller4opca

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 291553
  • Handicap:13

Posted Yesterday, 01:54 PM

I tried to explain to her that this is an investment into our future. How else am I going to go pro and make millions?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#71 Larry The Golfing Doc

Larry The Golfing Doc

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 485040
  • Handicap:4.8

Posted Yesterday, 05:02 PM

I played very little for about 10 years. Maybe 4-5 times a year during this time frame at most. The reason for it was we were establishing a family and our careers. Prior to that I played daily almost from 18 until then. Once the kids got old enough to start playing some with me or at least hanging out with me while I played, it made a lot more sense to play again. It's tough to find the time when you have youngins and are working 70 hour weeks establishing yourself.

I now usually work around 50 hours a week and my kids are old enough to play with me. That becomes a pretty easy sell. "Hey, I'm taking the kids golfing Sunday-unless you have other plans? If not enjoy a free house for 5 hours!" She enjoys the less loud time and I enjoy the hell out of playing golf with my kids. Sure I play some without them, but 90% of my golf time is spent with some combination or all of them with. Helps that they all like to golf so it's not like I ever get a "dad! I don't want to!" from any of them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors