Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

What to tell a wife that hates golf


75 replies to this topic

#61 baller4opca

baller4opca

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 291553
  • Joined: 01/13/2014
  • Location:jacksonville, fl
  • Handicap:13
GolfWRX Likes : 53

Posted 10 November 2017 - 07:07 AM

Thanks for all the sage advice albeit some are quite out there.  Lol. Just to clarify, I highly encourage my wife to do things on her own and I am glad to watch our child.  Secondly, I took up golf after we met, not before so she had no idea and neither did I that I would call hard for the game. Thirdly, my guess is that she always talks about her grandmother being a "golf widow" and doesn't want to be one.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#62 DancingShadows

DancingShadows

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 443570
  • Joined: 10/14/2016
  • Location:Bowling Green
  • Ebay ID:DavisSexton
GolfWRX Likes : 41

Posted 10 November 2017 - 04:29 PM

Sheesh this thread making me absolutely want to stay single. The current gf constantly complains about my weekend tourneys (like 7 or 8 this year) and just imagining that progress sounds like a hell I want no part of.

2

#63 SilverBullets

SilverBullets

    BMW

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,522 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139485
  • Joined: 09/19/2011
  • Location:Phoenix, Az
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 2056

Posted 10 November 2017 - 04:56 PM

View PostDancingShadows, on 10 November 2017 - 04:29 PM, said:

Sheesh this thread making me absolutely want to stay single. The current gf constantly complains about my weekend tourneys (like 7 or 8 this year) and just imagining that progress sounds like a hell I want no part of.

Nah just have to find the right partner.  My wife is pretty awesome.  She gets that golf makes me happy, it's my way of relaxing, connecting with my buddies and/or just getting away.  As long as I don't over do it she encourages me to play.  Over doing it is when  I start getting into the 4 day a week range.  Like both weekend days and a couple nights.

My main thing is I am just always mindful of her/our plans on the weekend.  So I don't have a set time.  She's not a huge early bird so I know if I get out before 9am I am all clear.  I just make sure golf fits into the schedule so we can do everything we want to do and have a great week.  Like we like to cycle (well I like to cycle, she loves to cycle) so on the weekends I make sure there is to get a ride in when she wants to ride.  I just adjust my golf around it.

It's a give and take.  She gets that it's a huge part of who I am and what makes me happy and I get that I shouldn't be at a course all weekend long.  So we both compromise a bit.  I shift my times and make sure golf isn't really interfering with the weekend and she's cool with it.  It's also a lot easier because we don't have kids (nor do we want kids).

A handful of years ago she finally got the itch to see what golf was all about.  She loves it now.  She doesn't like playing more than once a week (unless it's 18 on the weekend and a week night 9) but she really enjoys it.  That has certainly made some things easier.  She knows part of why I love golf is the competition and having some guy time.  So weekend where she wants to golf, it becomes 2 round weekends for me.  one with my buddies and one with her.

I started this post by saying my wife is pretty awesome right?  The fact is, we are best friends and we both just understand each.  We understand what make each other tick.  I feel like having a partner who didn't want me to play golf would make me want to be less flexible and would lead to more issues.  But she is considerate of my interests so I make sure it fits in with her plans as well...
Taylormade '17 M2 9.5* - Rogue Silver 70 X
Taylormade '16 M2 15*
Titleist 910F 19*
Callaway Apex 4i thru PW - Nippon Modus 125 Tour X
Vokey SM6 50*, 54*, 58*
Bettinardi BB40

3

#64 Double Mocha Man

Double Mocha Man

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 232183
  • Joined: 02/25/2013
  • Location:Bellingham, WA
  • Handicap:3
GolfWRX Likes : 123

Posted 12 November 2017 - 04:22 PM

View PostSilverBullets, on 10 November 2017 - 04:56 PM, said:

View PostDancingShadows, on 10 November 2017 - 04:29 PM, said:

Sheesh this thread making me absolutely want to stay single. The current gf constantly complains about my weekend tourneys (like 7 or 8 this year) and just imagining that progress sounds like a hell I want no part of.

Nah just have to find the right partner.  My wife is pretty awesome.  She gets that golf makes me happy, it's my way of relaxing, connecting with my buddies and/or just getting away.  As long as I don't over do it she encourages me to play.  Over doing it is when  I start getting into the 4 day a week range.  Like both weekend days and a couple nights.

My main thing is I am just always mindful of her/our plans on the weekend.  So I don't have a set time.  She's not a huge early bird so I know if I get out before 9am I am all clear.  I just make sure golf fits into the schedule so we can do everything we want to do and have a great week.  Like we like to cycle (well I like to cycle, she loves to cycle) so on the weekends I make sure there is to get a ride in when she wants to ride.  I just adjust my golf around it.

It's a give and take.  She gets that it's a huge part of who I am and what makes me happy and I get that I shouldn't be at a course all weekend long.  So we both compromise a bit.  I shift my times and make sure golf isn't really interfering with the weekend and she's cool with it.  It's also a lot easier because we don't have kids (nor do we want kids).

A handful of years ago she finally got the itch to see what golf was all about.  She loves it now.  She doesn't like playing more than once a week (unless it's 18 on the weekend and a week night 9) but she really enjoys it.  That has certainly made some things easier.  She knows part of why I love golf is the competition and having some guy time.  So weekend where she wants to golf, it becomes 2 round weekends for me.  one with my buddies and one with her.

I started this post by saying my wife is pretty awesome right?  The fact is, we are best friends and we both just understand each.  We understand what make each other tick.  I feel like having a partner who didn't want me to play golf would make me want to be less flexible and would lead to more issues.  But she is considerate of my interests so I make sure it fits in with her plans as well...


And hopefully you showed this to your wife for reading.  You know, this was essentially a love letter to your wife.
3.0 GHIN Index - trending down

4

#65 BeerPerHole

BeerPerHole

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 459940
  • Joined: 03/21/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 268

Posted 13 November 2017 - 11:53 AM

Was listening to an interesting podcast on the way in this morning. It was a recent interview of the guy who wrote Men are from Mars... I immediately thought of this thread and the various viewpoints on it. What this guy was talking about, though, brings it back to providing for your spouse what they emotionally need to help with their happiness and health. Being a golfing husband with a woman who fights it fits the discussion perfectly.

Thank god my wife loves to play golf...oh thank god...she even likes to go fishing. There is a god...


5

#66 bscinstnct

bscinstnct

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,999 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77664
  • Joined: 03/17/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 14595

Posted 13 November 2017 - 04:49 PM

I say,

"I'm going to go play golf, back in 6 hours"


Wife be like,


Posted Image

Edited by bscinstnct, 13 November 2017 - 06:31 PM.


6

#67 JerseyBoy

JerseyBoy

    Tour Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 572 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 482144
  • Joined: 09/18/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 463

Posted 13 November 2017 - 07:08 PM

View Postbscinstnct, on 13 November 2017 - 04:49 PM, said:

I say,

"I'm going to go play golf, back in 6 hours"


Wife be like,


Posted Image

And Warren Haynes is your avatar. My man.

7

#68 N8dogg2669

N8dogg2669

    Rookie

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 418748
  • Joined: 04/02/2016
  • Location:Washington, MI
  • Handicap:3.7
  • Ebay ID:Bulldog1382
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 20 November 2017 - 08:36 PM

Tell her good bye

8

#69 Jacked_Loft

Jacked_Loft

    Giant Steps Ahead

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 449174
  • Joined: 12/17/2016
  • Location:Gone fishin'
  • Handicap:Nix
GolfWRX Likes : 211

Posted 21 November 2017 - 09:08 AM

View Postgolfandfishing, on 03 November 2017 - 01:40 PM, said:

Hate to say this but, I doubt she hates golf. She hates you enjoying yourself.

Hate to say it, but this sounds terribly correct.
WIMB:

M2 10.5° Kuro Kage 60 S
M1 3 & 5 FW Kuro Kage 70 S
P790 3 Iron Nippon 950 S
P770 4-PW & AW Nippon 950 S
Cally Sure Out 58° Anti PitchYip
TP Platinum Putter SS GTR 2.0
Sun Mountain Carry Bag & Titleist Competition

9

#70 baller4opca

baller4opca

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 291553
  • Joined: 01/13/2014
  • Location:jacksonville, fl
  • Handicap:13
GolfWRX Likes : 53

Posted 21 November 2017 - 01:54 PM

I tried to explain to her that this is an investment into our future. How else am I going to go pro and make millions?


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#71 St Jimmy

St Jimmy

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 155985
  • Joined: 01/18/2012
  • Location:Johnsburg, IL
  • Handicap:14.6
  • Ebay ID:luckyjet-44
GolfWRX Likes : 105

Posted 23 November 2017 - 06:50 PM

I say yes to anything the wife says or wants.

That way when I golf 3-4 times a week I can throw it back in her face.
2016 M2 driver
Ping G400 stretch 3
Ping G SFT 3 wood
Ping G30 4-PW
Callaway MD3 52,56,60
Scotty Newport 1.5 or Golo 3

11

#72 Jacked_Loft

Jacked_Loft

    Giant Steps Ahead

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 449174
  • Joined: 12/17/2016
  • Location:Gone fishin'
  • Handicap:Nix
GolfWRX Likes : 211

Posted 24 November 2017 - 04:57 AM

What's the old saying?

"If she don't play, she won't stay"?
WIMB:

M2 10.5° Kuro Kage 60 S
M1 3 & 5 FW Kuro Kage 70 S
P790 3 Iron Nippon 950 S
P770 4-PW & AW Nippon 950 S
Cally Sure Out 58° Anti PitchYip
TP Platinum Putter SS GTR 2.0
Sun Mountain Carry Bag & Titleist Competition

12

#73 spazo

spazo

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 148953
  • Joined: 11/28/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 188

Posted 24 November 2017 - 12:52 PM

You're asking this question one a golf forum...just think about that one

Figure out if golf is more important than martial peace. If it is, tell her to deal with it. If you realize the truth--ie, that it's not--maybe you can find ways to meet her needs without completely sacrificing your game. Play less, but don't cut it out completely. Play 9. Do it only when the kids are already being cared for. Skip golf every once in awhile just to take her to lunch. Show her golf isn't more important than her.

Unless it is, in which case, get your divorce papers ready

Edited by spazo, 24 November 2017 - 12:54 PM.


13

#74 Imp

Imp

    Fueled

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,378 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 130204
  • Joined: 06/05/2011
  • Location:SE Mass/RI
  • Handicap:9.2
GolfWRX Likes : 1389

Posted 24 November 2017 - 12:54 PM

View Postchocolate_rehab, on 07 November 2017 - 01:28 PM, said:

It was satire, guys. I'm a woman and I find the "women from culturally sexist countries make better wives than American women" offensive. Just to make that crystal clear.
I wasn't going to respond to this thread until I read this and the other post where you spoke for all women in the world saying

Quote

Speaking as a woman who loves golf, plays 2x a week, and has managed successful relationships: women don't hate something just because you enjoy it. And if you think that's the case, I feel sorry for your prospects at a happy relationship.

YOU may not, your friends may not. However, I know many that do. Please don't speak in absolutes like that. You're only fooling yourself.

As for the top quote, That's fine. You can take offense to anything you please, but please understand this: your interpretation of the statement (not sexist countries, especially Sweden) and your offense to it doesn't make your offense itself valid. I've got friends in 20 countries, not just passing acquaintances, but friends that would open the door up to me if I showed up on it and let me stay. People in general, consider themselves and treat each other with much more respect and as equals MUCH BETTER than here in the US. Here in the US, and you highlight a perfect example of it, people get offended at almost everything, as if it means something.

Over there? LOL. They get it. And this is both women and men. They get that being offended changes and does nothing but reflect more on the offended, which leads to a nice relaxed atmosphere where people are NOT afraid to speak their mind, because they can speak knowing that civility is proper discourse and conversation, not the wall of "being offended". When someone is offended, you cannot hold a discussion with them. It ends there, because they are closed to any other options but their own. And believe me, the women, especially in Scandinavia are NOT repressed, but also don't get offended, and if they are, they'd rather talk about it than saying "I'm offended!".

As far as the OP, I'll give the same advice that time tests and works: you have to talk about it to your wife and get to the root of it. ANY resentment of anything the spouse does is not healthy to a relationship. It may seem hard, may even be emotional, but it needs to happen. Use many of the points made by others, decompresses, clears the head, etc... you HAVE to have some time to yourself.

--kC

Edited by Imp, 24 November 2017 - 12:57 PM.

Callaway Fusion / RBZ 3W / Mizuno JPX-EZ Forged Irons / Callaway MD3 52*, 58*, 64*

14

#75 HoosierHacker89

HoosierHacker89

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,935 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99812
  • Joined: 12/07/2009
  • Location:Indiana
  • Ebay ID:Pinggolfer2007
GolfWRX Likes : 328

Posted 25 November 2017 - 10:31 AM

Dude you need to communicate with your wife. Figure out a plan that work best for both of you guys. Marriage is a partnership. Lying just for golf? That's gross! If I found out about that I would really question what else you're lying about. Without trust there is nothing.

Edited by HoosierHacker89, 25 November 2017 - 10:34 AM.

Cobra f7+ 10.5 diamana whiteboard 63s
Cobra f7 15.5 diamana whiteboard 73s
Cobra f6 baffler 19 Matrix code 8
Bridgestone j38 3-P s300
Cleveland Rtx-3 52 tour raw, Rtx 2.0 58 Black satin
Ping redwood anser

15

#76 KTEXAS1316

KTEXAS1316

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 183818
  • Joined: 05/30/2012
  • Location:San Antonio, TX
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 18

Posted 25 November 2017 - 11:19 AM

Tell her you are working on your shut club face at the top! LOL

Sorry I just couldn't resist

16



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors