Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

My Son Featured on a New Book

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BeerPerHole

BeerPerHole

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 459940
GolfWRX Likes : 166

Posted 02 November 2017 - 11:09 AM

I thought I'd share this here. Some have probably noticed that I've mentioned that I have a son who's turning into a pretty good player, but who also has autism. His story is incredible because it's a somewhat rare example of a baby who was very, very ill and disabled becoming a boy who's mainstreamed. His recovery has actually grabbed the attention of a documentary film maker from Iceland years ago, and is often referenced by local practitioners working with children on the spectrum. Well, one of those practitioners has put together a short series of books on how different kids with different disabilities think, and how to better interface with them. The one on autism features my son's likeness and name throughout. She was inspired by him getting his black belt in karate about a year ago so that's what you see. Here is the book. We know the author very well and my son met the illustrator with her yesterday. Everybody who sees this book can't get over how great the illustrations are. The target audience is everybody who interfaces with those on the spectrum and, frankly, it's fantastic.

https://www.amazon.c...L70_&dpSrc=srch

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 Deepfork

Deepfork

Go Pokes!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 314249
  • Handicap:10
  • Ebay ID:PurePoke
GolfWRX Likes : 54

Posted 08 November 2017 - 11:02 PM

That's a great story and inspiration.  I can see you are proud of your son, as you should be!

#3 ohioglfr

ohioglfr

Municipal Junkie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 193866
  • Handicap:14
GolfWRX Likes : 128

Posted 09 November 2017 - 12:35 PM

Your son's success has inspired others, resulting in a book that should influence many.  It is a reflection of not only your son's success, but also your love and determination to prepare your son for life, overcoming obstacles.  I'm sure your son is as proud of you as you are of him.

#4 gambit

gambit

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 120529
GolfWRX Likes : 660

Posted 09 November 2017 - 01:47 PM

That's awesome, man.
Ping G400 LST w/ Tensei Orange v3 60TX
TEE CB Pro 16.5* w/ AD-GT 8x
Tour Issue Aeroburner 5HL 21* w/ AD-GT 8x
Adams Pro Mini 24* w/ DI 95x
Miura 57 CB 5-P w/ Steelfiber i95S
Miura New Wedge Series 51, 55, 59 w/ KBS Tour Wedge Shafts
Byron Morgan DH89 or 612

#5 BeerPerHole

BeerPerHole

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 459940
GolfWRX Likes : 166

Posted 09 November 2017 - 11:35 PM

Thank you for the kind words. It's been one hell of a trip so far... This book, as many who've read it have already said, really gets into the mind of the child who has autism. It's really enlightening. And, the illustrations are fantastic.

I remember when my boy got his black belt. Even the karate instructor was moved by the progress. He went from flipping out over the foam noodles on his first day to getting his black belt years later. Each belt was celebrated with extra happiness by all involved. Now, he's fixated on golf. He loves to sit with me with different score cards from local courses and discuss how long the holes are and how difficult they are. He remembers all of them and finds comfort discussing the topic.

Edited by BeerPerHole, 09 November 2017 - 11:36 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors