Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Snell,Vice and Kirkland Signature Golf Balls


77 replies to this topic

#61 eRock_Reno

eRock_Reno

    eRock_Reno

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 383976
  • Joined: 07/02/2015
  • Location:Northern Nevada
  • Handicap:4.5
  • Ebay ID:erock_reno
GolfWRX Likes : 39

Posted 14 November 2017 - 05:29 PM

I just visited the Vice website. I don't know about their golf balls but they have the coolest golf towels and gloves I've ever seen.

Driver:  Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9.0° Project X HZRDUS Yellow 6.0
Fairway: Callaway Alpha 816 16° Aldila Rogue RIP I/O 70S
Hybrid:  Taylormade 2017 M2 Rescue 19° Aldila RIP Alpha 85S
Irons:   Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB 4-P KBS C-Taper 125 S+
Wedges:  Callaway MD3 Black 50°, 54°, 58°
Putter:  Ping Anser 1 Milled

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#62 North Butte

North Butte

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,874 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 424472
  • Joined: 05/09/2016
GolfWRX Likes : 5297

Posted 14 November 2017 - 06:54 PM

View PostBIG STU, on 14 November 2017 - 03:45 PM, said:

View PostNorth Butte, on 14 November 2017 - 08:55 AM, said:

The bottom line is, Titleist has competitors who undercut them on price.

That has been true for decades, hardly news.
  IMHO the news is now that they have competitors that not only cut the price but have just as good of a product

Callaway balls are not as good as Titleist?
Everything has its drawbacks, as the man said when his mother-in-law died, and they came down upon him for the funeral expenses.

2

#63 flushem

flushem

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 39708
  • Joined: 09/21/2007
  • Location:SoCal
  • Handicap:16
GolfWRX Likes : 168

Posted 14 November 2017 - 11:40 PM

IMO, I choose Titleist over Callaway in any and every line of products including balls.

3

#64 jimb6golf

jimb6golf

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 135116
  • Joined: 08/03/2011
  • Location:Eastern MA
GolfWRX Likes : 317

Posted 15 November 2017 - 12:46 PM

Really like the Snell golf balls, especially the MTB that I've been playing for a couple of years now.  Equal to any ball I've played and seems pretty good in windy conditions. I also play the yellow Get Sum ball in the colder months, Pretty soft and the yellow is much easier to see in low light conditions too.  Keep up the good work Dean.

4

#65 IB79

IB79

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 480996
  • Joined: 09/04/2017
  • Location:UK
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 15 November 2017 - 04:12 PM

View PosteRock_Reno, on 14 November 2017 - 05:29 PM, said:

I just visited the Vice website. I don't know about their golf balls but they have the coolest golf towels and gloves I've ever seen.

Not got one yet but the towels look pretty cool.

The gloves are excellent, would recommend them along with the balls.  Started using them instead of the Titleist Players glove I used to use.

Handicap 4

Ping G400 LST 10*  
Bridgestone J40 3w
Adams A12 hybrid
4-PW TM P790 Nippon Modus 120
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth Nippon Modus 120
Tour Spider

5

#66 BIG STU

BIG STU

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,415 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 284204
  • Joined: 11/14/2013
  • Location:Garden City Beach SC
  • Handicap:5.0
GolfWRX Likes : 24835

Posted 16 November 2017 - 02:32 AM

View PostNorth Butte, on 14 November 2017 - 06:54 PM, said:

View PostBIG STU, on 14 November 2017 - 03:45 PM, said:

View PostNorth Butte, on 14 November 2017 - 08:55 AM, said:

The bottom line is, Titleist has competitors who undercut them on price.

That has been true for decades, hardly news.
  IMHO the news is now that they have competitors that not only cut the price but have just as good of a product

Callaway balls are not as good as Titleist?
That is a matter of opinion. I do play the Super Soft some now-- But I will say quality wise yes---
Driver: Homna G1-X Homna stiff shaft
3 Wood Adams Super S 15* Bassara Regular flex
5 wood Adams Super S 18* Bassara Regular flex
Irons 3 thru PW 1982 Macgregor VIP Hogan #2 Apex shafts (yeah real Hogan shafts when Hogan was Hogan)
SW Cleveland 588 56* S-400
LW Cleveland 588 60* S-400
Putter - Scotty Santa Fe 1997 vintage rusty as heck nicknamed "Rusty"
Bag Old School Titleist Stand bag about 10 or 12 years old

Founding Father of the Outlaw Golf Association Member #1 To heck with the USGA
Redneck Hippie Golf-- When the tailgate drops the BS stops
Vintage for now
P-40 Macgregor Super Eye O Matic 2 wood
3 wood Macgregor 945W
1 iron 1967 Spalding Top Flite
Irons 3 thru PW 1990 Hogan Grind
SW-- 1965 Wilson Staff Triple Duty 56*
Putter (for now) Acushnet 35 R Standard Bulls Eye
Bag Old School Burton PGA / Pepsi red white and blue

6

#67 BIG STU

BIG STU

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,415 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 284204
  • Joined: 11/14/2013
  • Location:Garden City Beach SC
  • Handicap:5.0
GolfWRX Likes : 24835

Posted 16 November 2017 - 02:37 AM

View Postflushem, on 14 November 2017 - 11:40 PM, said:

IMO, I choose Titleist over Callaway in any and every line of products including balls.
Absolutely nothing at all wrong with that if that is what fits your game. Looking at my signature you can see I play a mixed bag. I find a club or clubs I like I play them no brand loyalty here
Driver: Homna G1-X Homna stiff shaft
3 Wood Adams Super S 15* Bassara Regular flex
5 wood Adams Super S 18* Bassara Regular flex
Irons 3 thru PW 1982 Macgregor VIP Hogan #2 Apex shafts (yeah real Hogan shafts when Hogan was Hogan)
SW Cleveland 588 56* S-400
LW Cleveland 588 60* S-400
Putter - Scotty Santa Fe 1997 vintage rusty as heck nicknamed "Rusty"
Bag Old School Titleist Stand bag about 10 or 12 years old

Founding Father of the Outlaw Golf Association Member #1 To heck with the USGA
Redneck Hippie Golf-- When the tailgate drops the BS stops
Vintage for now
P-40 Macgregor Super Eye O Matic 2 wood
3 wood Macgregor 945W
1 iron 1967 Spalding Top Flite
Irons 3 thru PW 1990 Hogan Grind
SW-- 1965 Wilson Staff Triple Duty 56*
Putter (for now) Acushnet 35 R Standard Bulls Eye
Bag Old School Burton PGA / Pepsi red white and blue

7

#68 BeerPerHole

BeerPerHole

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 459940
  • Joined: 03/21/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 343

Posted 16 November 2017 - 06:30 PM

Somebody said the MTB didn't look high quality. That's interesting. I have seen ProV1s that look pretty bad, for whatever reason. I figure it's related to the cast urethane. The only mainstream premium ball I have bought (and paid a lot of money for) is the TP5x and I think it's an excellent ball. Other than that, it's these others mentioned by the OP that I think where the sweet spot is - my personal fav being the MTB.

8

#69 Middler

Middler

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 486136
  • Joined: 11/06/2017
  • Location:Chicagoland
  • Handicap:14.1
GolfWRX Likes : 165

Posted 17 November 2017 - 12:29 PM

View PostNorth Butte, on 14 November 2017 - 07:54 AM, said:

View PostMiddler, on 14 November 2017 - 07:45 AM, said:

View PostNorth Butte, on 13 November 2017 - 04:42 PM, said:

You guys need to realize the "L", "M" and "H" category HAVE NO STANDARD DEFINITION. It's like "R", "S" and "X" flex labels on different brand shafts.
Is there a source for solid data on golf balls for comparison? We canít rely on what manufacturers provide and it would be nice to have some basis for buying balls instead of trying them all.

Only whatever bits and pieces some magazine or blogger chooses to publish from time to time whenever it suits them.  Nothing systematic and complete.
Probably the reason I donít change brands often, most of what you read is marketing hype at best. Played Titleists most of my life, will be playing Snells for years to come probably. YMMV

Edited by Middler, 17 November 2017 - 12:30 PM.

Callaway Rogue 10.5° & 3W 15°
Mizuno CLK 3 Hybrid 19°
Mizuno JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10
Evnroll ER2
Snell MTB
Ogio Silencer

9

#70 North Butte

North Butte

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,874 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 424472
  • Joined: 05/09/2016
GolfWRX Likes : 5297

Posted 17 November 2017 - 12:33 PM

Well if you read it in the golf "press" it's mostly marketing hooey.

If you read it on online blogs/forums/whatever you call Tony Covey's thing then it's mostly someone wanting to sound as though they have detailed inside scoop when in reality they are just bloviating about their own anecdotal impressions.

And heck, it's fun to bloviate about ones own anecdotal impressions. That's what most of us are doing here on GolfWRX every day, just shooting the breeze about our own opinions on ball, clubs, whatever. It just doesn't add up to anything approach evidence.

Dean Snell is the one GolfWRX'er with more actual knowledge than the rest of us put together. And he has said repeatedly that even with the most thorough and rigorously scientific testing equipment it's nigh impossible to find any one golf ball that is longer than the others.

Everything has its drawbacks, as the man said when his mother-in-law died, and they came down upon him for the funeral expenses.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#71 vpd

vpd

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 150223
  • Joined: 12/06/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 29

Posted 17 November 2017 - 02:02 PM

View PostNorth Butte, on 17 November 2017 - 12:33 PM, said:

Well if you read it in the golf "press" it's mostly marketing hooey.

If you read it on online blogs/forums/whatever you call Tony Covey's thing then it's mostly someone wanting to sound as though they have detailed inside scoop when in reality they are just bloviating about their own anecdotal impressions.

And heck, it's fun to bloviate about ones own anecdotal impressions. That's what most of us are doing here on GolfWRX every day, just shooting the breeze about our own opinions on ball, clubs, whatever. It just doesn't add up to anything approach evidence.

Dean Snell is the one GolfWRX'er with more actual knowledge than the rest of us put together. And he has said repeatedly that even with the most thorough and rigorously scientific testing equipment it's nigh impossible to find any one golf ball that is longer than the others.
I believe that the key takeaway is that there are several balls(Snell,Vice ,Kirkland Signature) now on the market that are close to or the same quality as the Titleist,Callaway or Taylormade balls and at roughly half the price or less. Whether one goes a few yards further than another is irrelevant to me. I don't think any amateur golfer with maybe the exception of those with handicaps of 5 or below can truly tell the difference between one high quality ball or another. Why would someone pay $4.00/ ball unless they were a professional player or top amateur.

11

#72 North Butte

North Butte

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,874 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 424472
  • Joined: 05/09/2016
GolfWRX Likes : 5297

Posted 17 November 2017 - 02:28 PM

View Postvpd, on 17 November 2017 - 02:02 PM, said:

View PostNorth Butte, on 17 November 2017 - 12:33 PM, said:

Well if you read it in the golf "press" it's mostly marketing hooey.

If you read it on online blogs/forums/whatever you call Tony Covey's thing then it's mostly someone wanting to sound as though they have detailed inside scoop when in reality they are just bloviating about their own anecdotal impressions.

And heck, it's fun to bloviate about ones own anecdotal impressions. That's what most of us are doing here on GolfWRX every day, just shooting the breeze about our own opinions on ball, clubs, whatever. It just doesn't add up to anything approach evidence.

Dean Snell is the one GolfWRX'er with more actual knowledge than the rest of us put together. And he has said repeatedly that even with the most thorough and rigorously scientific testing equipment it's nigh impossible to find any one golf ball that is longer than the others.
I believe that the key takeaway is that there are several balls(Snell,Vice ,Kirkland Signature) now on the market that are close to or the same quality as the Titleist,Callaway or Taylormade balls and at roughly half the price or less. Whether one goes a few yards further than another is irrelevant to me. I don't think any amateur golfer with maybe the exception of those with handicaps of 5 or below can truly tell the difference between one high quality ball or another. Why would someone pay $4.00/ ball unless they were a professional player or top amateur.

Or if they just don't give a darn about the difference in a $4.00 ball and a $2.00 ball.

There's a thread right now about monthly dues at private clubs. One guy paid $180K initiation and pays well over $10K/year in dues to play golf in Florida for five months during the winter. Do you think that guy sweats the difference between paying $50 for a dozen ProV1's versus going to Costco and grabbing two dozen K-Sigs for 30 bucks?

Edited by North Butte, 17 November 2017 - 09:14 PM.

Everything has its drawbacks, as the man said when his mother-in-law died, and they came down upon him for the funeral expenses.

12

#73 thesaxemachine

thesaxemachine

    Hello, friends...

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 143239
  • Joined: 10/19/2011
  • Location:Ontario
  • Handicap:11
GolfWRX Likes : 233

Posted 17 November 2017 - 03:02 PM

I really like Vice balls - as people have mentioned, not super durable, but the cost takes some of the sting out. Haven't tried the others - I don't like the name or branding of Snell and I can't be bothered to try to pick up K-Sigs.

I play the Vice Pro - and comments on the Soft or any of their other variations?

Edited by thesaxemachine, 17 November 2017 - 03:03 PM.

Rogue SZ w/ AD MT
M1 w/ Diamana Thump
818 H1 w/ Even Flow Black
Z-765 w/ PX LZ
SM6 46° 50° 54°
MD PM Grind 58°
Works 7/Mullen TP

13

#74 Muddler

Muddler

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131626
  • Joined: 06/25/2011
  • Handicap:High
GolfWRX Likes : 230

Posted 17 November 2017 - 08:25 PM

View PostStanks, on 31 October 2017 - 09:29 PM, said:

My only gripe with these is durability. It beyond blows.

This is sort of the crux of the matter. Some of these balls are a third the price, but you’re basically getting one third the Urethane. Still, I’ve tried most of the direct-to-consumer balls and will keep playing them.
TEE XCG7 - Fujikura Fuel Tour 60
TEE XCG6 - Dynamic Gold
Titleist AP1 712 4-PW - Dynalite Gold XP
Wilson Staff FG TC 50/56/60
Yes Callie - bunch of lead tape on the bottom

14

#75 Hopnstopnputt

Hopnstopnputt

    Member

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 201 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 379558
  • Joined: 06/07/2015
  • Location:DC Metro
GolfWRX Likes : 62

Posted 17 November 2017 - 10:20 PM

View Postblink3665, on 30 October 2017 - 05:59 PM, said:

Anyone test any of the above mentioned balls vs the Cut brand?  I'm starting to get bombarded with targeted advertising...

Yup. Played all of them.
I would put the new Cut Grey (3 piece urethane) a distant 4th in that list; didn't love the greenside spin.
The Cut Blue (4 piece U) was much better for me, probably on par with the Vice.
Think I'd have Snell and K-Sig at top of this list though.


15

#76 vpd

vpd

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 150223
  • Joined: 12/06/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 29

Posted 18 November 2017 - 11:24 AM

View Postthesaxemachine, on 17 November 2017 - 03:02 PM, said:

I really like Vice balls - as people have mentioned, not super durable, but the cost takes some of the sting out. Haven't tried the others - I don't like the name or branding of Snell and I can't be bothered to try to pick up K-Sigs.

I play the Vice Pro - and comments on the Soft or any of their other variations?
I really like the Vice Pro. The Vice Pro Soft is also a great ball--it took me a couple of rounds before I got comfortable with the matte finish. That's just a mental thing--no big deal. I also think Snell and the Kirkland Signature balls are terrific. Any one of the three I am happy to play. It is a pain in the butt to track down the Kirkland Signature balls. Costco has to either figure out how to keep them in stock or just quit selling them. If they continue with it , they will be a huge seller due to the Size and breadth of Costco's retail in-store and online distribution. I think over time they could put a huge dent into the market share of the Titleist ProVs, Callaway and Taylormade balls. All the better for the consumer.

16

#77 Stanks

Stanks

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 469442
  • Joined: 05/29/2017
  • Location:San Diego
  • Handicap:?
GolfWRX Likes : 113

Posted 22 November 2017 - 11:18 PM

They're all great balls. Truth of the matter is, if you're "on" with one ball and it's the first or 2nd time you've tried it, then that will leave the lasting impression.

I've never had a good round with the Chrome Soft X, thusly, I don't want them but, we all know they are a good ball.
Taylormade M3 10.5 / Project X Hzrdus Black 6.5 65 gram
Cobra F7 3 Wood 14.5
Cobra F7 3-4 Hybrid 19.5
PXG 0311T 4-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy Forged 50*
Callaway MD3 55* & PM Grind 60*.
Oydssey O-Works #9

17

#78 vpd

vpd

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 150223
  • Joined: 12/06/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 29

Posted 27 November 2017 - 05:10 PM

View PostNorth Butte, on 14 November 2017 - 06:54 PM, said:

View PostBIG STU, on 14 November 2017 - 03:45 PM, said:

View PostNorth Butte, on 14 November 2017 - 08:55 AM, said:

The bottom line is, Titleist has competitors who undercut them on price.

That has been true for decades, hardly news.
  IMHO the news is now that they have competitors that not only cut the price but have just as good of a product

Callaway balls are not as good as Titleist?
The big deal now is that the competitors to Titleist and other big companies have the power of the internet and social media at little or no cost whereas in the past unless a competitor had a big advertising and marketing budget they hardly stood a chance against the big companies.

18



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors