Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Golf apparel (winter time)


64 replies to this topic

#31 bunta

bunta

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 207611
  • Joined: 10/18/2012
GolfWRX Likes : 82

Posted 02 November 2017 - 11:17 AM

View Postchris975d, on 31 October 2017 - 12:19 PM, said:

Being a foul weather gear (winter and rain) "nut"...just look at some of my previous posts at how many $1000s of dollars I have in it, from all manufacturers, the best piece I've found for warmth and feeling like you're not wearing anything restrictive or bulky at all is actually this new PING Norse jacket.  

http://www.ping-shop...ar-tops-black-s

As a standalone piece, it's the warmest I've ever put on.  And I've even got the Galvin thick, almost winter/ski type jacket they did last year (as well as every layered system they make).  The PING Norse is so lightweight and WARM.  Very comfortable.  About to buy them for my entire proshop staff as wonderful uniform pieces.

I'm extremely cold natured, but I've found this piece to work for me as a stand alone piece (just a polo underneath) extremely well even with the several mornings we've already had here in GA at 40 degrees Fahrenheit and below.  

Otherwise, the layered approach that several posters here have already mentioned is the best way.  During most cold winter's, I'll wear my usual golf pants with Galvin Green lined (soft touch material) GoreTex bottoms (one size larger than normal waist size, to allow clothing under them) and a couple of layers on top.   Something to keep warmth in, like Galvin Green's Insula garments (or anything thermal) and a wind resistant but breathable outer garment to keep wind out.  
But this year I'm going to experiment more with this PING Norse jacket as my only top layer.  I've already played a couple of rounds in it, and it's stupidly perfect so far.

im such a sucker for Ping. Now i gotta go buy it. smh

Cobra BC+
Cobra F7 2/3
PING i25 4-S
PING Glide 60es
PING 1966 Anser 2

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#32 chris975d

chris975d

    Tour Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 787 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 404098
  • Joined: 11/27/2015
  • Location:Georgia
  • Ebay ID:jscott8307
GolfWRX Likes : 655

Posted 02 November 2017 - 11:38 AM

View Postbunta, on 02 November 2017 - 11:17 AM, said:

View Postchris975d, on 31 October 2017 - 12:19 PM, said:

Being a foul weather gear (winter and rain) "nut"...just look at some of my previous posts at how many $1000s of dollars I have in it, from all manufacturers, the best piece I've found for warmth and feeling like you're not wearing anything restrictive or bulky at all is actually this new PING Norse jacket.  

http://www.ping-shop...ar-tops-black-s

As a standalone piece, it's the warmest I've ever put on.  And I've even got the Galvin thick, almost winter/ski type jacket they did last year (as well as every layered system they make).  The PING Norse is so lightweight and WARM.  Very comfortable.  About to buy them for my entire proshop staff as wonderful uniform pieces.

I'm extremely cold natured, but I've found this piece to work for me as a stand alone piece (just a polo underneath) extremely well even with the several mornings we've already had here in GA at 40 degrees Fahrenheit and below.  

Otherwise, the layered approach that several posters here have already mentioned is the best way.  During most cold winter's, I'll wear my usual golf pants with Galvin Green lined (soft touch material) GoreTex bottoms (one size larger than normal waist size, to allow clothing under them) and a couple of layers on top.   Something to keep warmth in, like Galvin Green's Insula garments (or anything thermal) and a wind resistant but breathable outer garment to keep wind out.  
But this year I'm going to experiment more with this PING Norse jacket as my only top layer.  I've already played a couple of rounds in it, and it's stupidly perfect so far.

im such a sucker for Ping. Now i gotta go buy it. smh

Since PING has moved all apparel in house (directly designing and overseeing manufacturing) instead of using Columbia Sportswear, I've been EXTREMELY impressed with the quality.  The only issue has been sizing...they are on more of a European sizing, meaning if you are accustomed to U.S. based sizing, order PING at least one size larger.. (just look at the measurement charts and order according to your actual measurements). Their polos, this Norse jacket with Primaloft insulation, and even their Zero Gravity rainwear is remarkable.  That Zero Gravity jacket is the thinnest, lightest, 100% waterproof jacket I own, out of (seriously) over 15 Galvin Green waterproofs, a few UA, FootJoy, and RLX/Polo rain jackets.

2

#33 bunta

bunta

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 207611
  • Joined: 10/18/2012
GolfWRX Likes : 82

Posted 02 November 2017 - 11:46 AM

View Postchris975d, on 02 November 2017 - 11:38 AM, said:

View Postbunta, on 02 November 2017 - 11:17 AM, said:

View Postchris975d, on 31 October 2017 - 12:19 PM, said:

Being a foul weather gear (winter and rain) "nut"...just look at some of my previous posts at how many $1000s of dollars I have in it, from all manufacturers, the best piece I've found for warmth and feeling like you're not wearing anything restrictive or bulky at all is actually this new PING Norse jacket.  

http://www.ping-shop...ar-tops-black-s

As a standalone piece, it's the warmest I've ever put on.  And I've even got the Galvin thick, almost winter/ski type jacket they did last year (as well as every layered system they make).  The PING Norse is so lightweight and WARM.  Very comfortable.  About to buy them for my entire proshop staff as wonderful uniform pieces.

I'm extremely cold natured, but I've found this piece to work for me as a stand alone piece (just a polo underneath) extremely well even with the several mornings we've already had here in GA at 40 degrees Fahrenheit and below.  

Otherwise, the layered approach that several posters here have already mentioned is the best way.  During most cold winter's, I'll wear my usual golf pants with Galvin Green lined (soft touch material) GoreTex bottoms (one size larger than normal waist size, to allow clothing under them) and a couple of layers on top.   Something to keep warmth in, like Galvin Green's Insula garments (or anything thermal) and a wind resistant but breathable outer garment to keep wind out.  
But this year I'm going to experiment more with this PING Norse jacket as my only top layer.  I've already played a couple of rounds in it, and it's stupidly perfect so far.

im such a sucker for Ping. Now i gotta go buy it. smh

Since PING has moved all apparel in house (directly designing and overseeing manufacturing) instead of using Columbia Sportswear, I've been EXTREMELY impressed with the quality.  The only issue has been sizing...they are on more of a European sizing, meaning if you are accustomed to U.S. based sizing, order PING at least one size larger.. (just look at the measurement charts and order according to your actual measurements). Their polos, this Norse jacket with Primaloft insulation, and even their Zero Gravity rainwear is remarkable.  That Zero Gravity jacket is the thinnest, lightest, 100% waterproof jacket I own, out of (seriously) over 15 Galvin Green waterproofs, a few UA, FootJoy, and RLX/Polo rain jackets.

i have 2 other Ping outerwear made last year and this year, and i love 'em. I agree the sizing is an issue. With Ping, im not sure if im a Med., Large or an XL. i should just buy 2 sizes and return one. oh and the zipper is on the wrong side too. lol. Those Europeans..

Mannn, if i can get away with just a non-restrictive base layer and the Ping Norse over it, and still be plenty warm, ill be beyond thrilled !

Edited by bunta, 02 November 2017 - 11:56 AM.

Cobra BC+
Cobra F7 2/3
PING i25 4-S
PING Glide 60es
PING 1966 Anser 2

3

#34 chris975d

chris975d

    Tour Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 787 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 404098
  • Joined: 11/27/2015
  • Location:Georgia
  • Ebay ID:jscott8307
GolfWRX Likes : 655

Posted 02 November 2017 - 12:00 PM

View Postbunta, on 02 November 2017 - 11:46 AM, said:

View Postchris975d, on 02 November 2017 - 11:38 AM, said:

View Postbunta, on 02 November 2017 - 11:17 AM, said:

View Postchris975d, on 31 October 2017 - 12:19 PM, said:

Being a foul weather gear (winter and rain) "nut"...just look at some of my previous posts at how many $1000s of dollars I have in it, from all manufacturers, the best piece I've found for warmth and feeling like you're not wearing anything restrictive or bulky at all is actually this new PING Norse jacket.  

http://www.ping-shop...ar-tops-black-s

As a standalone piece, it's the warmest I've ever put on.  And I've even got the Galvin thick, almost winter/ski type jacket they did last year (as well as every layered system they make).  The PING Norse is so lightweight and WARM.  Very comfortable.  About to buy them for my entire proshop staff as wonderful uniform pieces.

I'm extremely cold natured, but I've found this piece to work for me as a stand alone piece (just a polo underneath) extremely well even with the several mornings we've already had here in GA at 40 degrees Fahrenheit and below.  

Otherwise, the layered approach that several posters here have already mentioned is the best way.  During most cold winter's, I'll wear my usual golf pants with Galvin Green lined (soft touch material) GoreTex bottoms (one size larger than normal waist size, to allow clothing under them) and a couple of layers on top.   Something to keep warmth in, like Galvin Green's Insula garments (or anything thermal) and a wind resistant but breathable outer garment to keep wind out.  
But this year I'm going to experiment more with this PING Norse jacket as my only top layer.  I've already played a couple of rounds in it, and it's stupidly perfect so far.

im such a sucker for Ping. Now i gotta go buy it. smh

Since PING has moved all apparel in house (directly designing and overseeing manufacturing) instead of using Columbia Sportswear, I've been EXTREMELY impressed with the quality.  The only issue has been sizing...they are on more of a European sizing, meaning if you are accustomed to U.S. based sizing, order PING at least one size larger.. (just look at the measurement charts and order according to your actual measurements). Their polos, this Norse jacket with Primaloft insulation, and even their Zero Gravity rainwear is remarkable.  That Zero Gravity jacket is the thinnest, lightest, 100% waterproof jacket I own, out of (seriously) over 15 Galvin Green waterproofs, a few UA, FootJoy, and RLX/Polo rain jackets.

i have 2 other Ping outerwear made last year and this year, and i love 'em. I agree the sizing is an issue. With Ping, im not sure if im a Large or an XL. i should just buy 2 sizes and return one.

Mannn, if i can get away with just a non-restrictive base layer and the Ping Norse over it, and still be plenty warm, ill be beyond thrilled !

I'm VERY cold natured, to the point that being outside with temps below 60* (F) isn't my cup of tea, and the Norse actually allowed me to play (stupidly...employees talked me into in on a day we were more or less empty due to the weather) on a day of 40* temps and a sustained 20+ mph wind.  And I actually felt fine in it.  Wasn't miserable and ready to get inside like I normally am in conditions anywhere close to that.

As far as sizing, with the outerwear, my best advice is to actually measure yourself (chest measurment, mainly) and order accordingly.  I'm an XL in everything else U.S. based sizing, but am a comfortable XXL in PING.  

On the sizing note, as of the Spring line 2018, they are taking all sizing to more U.S. based standards. Meaning you won't "size up" anymore.  It will start with polos, and eventually move to the outerwear.

4

#35 bunta

bunta

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 207611
  • Joined: 10/18/2012
GolfWRX Likes : 82

Posted 02 November 2017 - 12:10 PM

i cant seem to find any US retailers. Just UK. Theres no where for me to try on Ping apparel so buying 2 is my only option since their sizing is also an issue for me. where did you buy yours ? id prefer a US based retailer.

Cobra BC+
Cobra F7 2/3
PING i25 4-S
PING Glide 60es
PING 1966 Anser 2

5

#36 chris975d

chris975d

    Tour Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 787 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 404098
  • Joined: 11/27/2015
  • Location:Georgia
  • Ebay ID:jscott8307
GolfWRX Likes : 655

Posted 02 November 2017 - 12:21 PM

View Postbunta, on 02 November 2017 - 12:10 PM, said:

i cant seem to find any US retailers. Just UK. Theres no where for me to try on Ping apparel so buying 2 is my only option since their sizing is also an issue for me. where did you buy yours ? id prefer a US based retailer.

I operate a golf course, so I got mine from my rep.  I am very seriously considering bringing PING apparel into my proshop this Spring.

You can buy directly from PING's website.

Here's all current PING apparel:

http://www.ping-shop...ategory/apparel

Here is a link straight to the Norse.  The website by default shows "size is currently unavailable" for some reason..I think because it defaults to "small" which actually is out of stock.  But select your size in the drop down, then click the "Select Size" button, and it'll update as to whether the selected size actually is in stock.  It appears that every size other than "small" and "3xl" is in stock.

http://www.ping-shop...ar-tops-black-s

6

#37 bunta

bunta

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 207611
  • Joined: 10/18/2012
GolfWRX Likes : 82

Posted 02 November 2017 - 12:22 PM

dOh! i have to hit select size. Thats why everything was showing out of stock. Thanks!
Cobra BC+
Cobra F7 2/3
PING i25 4-S
PING Glide 60es
PING 1966 Anser 2

7

#38 Dogma

Dogma

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 409356
  • Joined: 01/19/2016
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 02 November 2017 - 01:01 PM

Under Armour make some fantastic winter pants that have a type of thermal lining. They're called Matchplay CGI trousers here in the UK.

They're also water repellent and have a good, slim cut to them.

Pair them with a pair of tights and you'll be well toasty!

Edited by Dogma, 02 November 2017 - 01:02 PM.


8

#39 Boricua Golf

Boricua Golf

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,948 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 137445
  • Joined: 08/23/2011
  • Location:Fredericksburg, VA
  • Handicap:3.3
  • Ebay ID:luisito11*11
GolfWRX Likes : 1212

Posted 02 November 2017 - 01:04 PM

I love the Under Armour thermals, I have the short and long sleeves in addition to the underpants, they are simply amazing!!!!
Driver---------------Ping G LS Tec 10.5*, Ping Alta 55 X Flex, tipped 1", 44.5"
FW Wood----------Ping G 15*, Diamana Whiteboard D+ 82X, tipped .5", 42.5"
Hybrid---------------Ping G 19*, Tour AD-DI 105X
Irons-----------------Ping iBlade 4-P, Project X 6.5 Flighted
Wedges-------------Ping Glide 50*, 54*, 58* with Project X 6.5 Flighted
Putter----------------Ping Oslo (Ping Nome TR as backup), 33.25" with SS Pistol GT Tour 1.0
Golf Ball-------------2017 Pro V1, K-Sigs and Chrome Soft X

9

#40 seslwr1

seslwr1

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 484990
  • Joined: 10/23/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 08 November 2017 - 09:47 PM

I picked this under shirt up last season for snowboarding.  It’s fleece-lined, comfortable and warm.  Would work well as a base layer.

https://www.amazon.c...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1



Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#41 orion1123

orion1123

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 486432
  • Joined: 11/09/2017
  • Location:Cleveland, OH
  • Handicap:10
  • Ebay ID:Orion1123
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 09 November 2017 - 10:52 PM

I live in Ohio and play as long as it’s above 30*. I wear normal golf pants with thermal long johns. Then I wear a medium weight pullover with some type of vest over that... I don’t like having too much on my arms... I keep the core warm and that seems to work... walking also helps!

11

#42 averysdad

averysdad

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 367457
  • Joined: 03/22/2015
GolfWRX Likes : 189

Posted 12 November 2017 - 02:02 PM

All about the layers. I’m a fan of the UA compression stuff. I feel like I can’t swing in a jacket so I’m a vest guy. No need to wear a Golf shirt...it’s just gets in the way and is a wasted layer. And wear good socks. If the fit aren’t warm, your day will not be good.

12

#43 doglover72

doglover72

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 214371
  • Joined: 12/04/2012
GolfWRX Likes : 164

Posted 14 November 2017 - 08:27 AM

Iím looking for a base layer shirt thatís warm but not a mock turtleneck. Something with buttons at top like a normal golf polo. Under armor used to make one but I canít find it anymore. Anyone have suggestions?

13

#44 Warrick

Warrick

    Hall of Fame

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 6,969 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 275445
  • Joined: 09/10/2013
GolfWRX Likes : 3778

Posted 14 November 2017 - 08:35 AM

I am playing in a few hours, will be about 50* with 10mph wind....

TNF flash Dry light base - TNF Mid layer Polartec pant - Nike Flex pant

UA Infrared fitted base, Nike Therma Core 1/4 zip, Nike Aerolaayer Hyperadapr jacket, TNF stocking cap

Good to go.
GBB Epic 9* - Tensei Pro Orange 60 - 47" (animal)
Epic SZ 3+ - Tensei Pro Orange 70 - 44"
Epic 3H - Recoil
MP18 Combo 4-P - PX LZ 6.0
Mizuno T7 - 48-53-58 - PX LZ 6.5
Odyssey Black 7s-Tank-34"

14

#45 Sean2

Sean2

    #TheWRX (Callaway Trip)

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 26,247 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29539
  • Joined: 05/23/2007
  • Location:South of Boston
  • Ebay ID:None
GolfWRX Likes : 12928

Posted 14 November 2017 - 04:15 PM

I will wear flannel line trousers and one of these:

74090_1440_f.jpeg

I get a full range of motion, I don't have to wear multiple layers, and it's nice and warm.

Callaway GBB Epic 11º / Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana M+ 40 R
Callaway GBB Epic 16º / 20º / 24º Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana M+ 50
Callaway CF16 / 6--AW / UST Recoil ES 460 F4
Callaway Forged and MD-PM 54º / 58º / 62º UST Recoil ES 460 F4

Callaway Odyssey O Works Tank #7

15

#46 RAT

RAT

    RAT

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 206717
  • Joined: 10/11/2012
GolfWRX Likes : 61

Posted 14 November 2017 - 05:15 PM

View PostVNutz, on 30 October 2017 - 01:03 PM, said:

Mizuno changed the name at one point to Hayate for the WIndlite, so search that one as well. Otherwise Footjoy makes a solid lined sweater.
Yes I have a Hayate quarter zip Merino wool and it's great. Follow the label instructions for care and washing..

16

#47 farlo001

farlo001

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132126
  • Joined: 07/01/2011
  • Location:Alabama
  • Ebay ID:farlow7
GolfWRX Likes : 28

Posted 14 November 2017 - 05:58 PM

What kind of socks are you guys wearing?  I doubled up last time I played with thin wool dress socks as the first layer.  Wasn't that effective.

17

#48 browne11

browne11

    I'm a hockey player, playing golf today

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,386 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 32271
  • Joined: 06/19/2007
  • Location:Pittsburgh
  • Handicap:3.5
  • Ebay ID:browne11
GolfWRX Likes : 230

Posted 14 November 2017 - 07:09 PM

View Postfarlo001, on 14 November 2017 - 05:58 PM, said:

What kind of socks are you guys wearing?  I doubled up last time I played with thin wool dress socks as the first layer.  Wasn't that effective.

I wear hiking socks if cold or ski socks if really cold. If I double up, my feet sweat and thatís the worst. Then you have cold wet feet and your day is pretty much ruined.
Taylormade 17 M2 D Type with Ahina 70s
Ping G30 14.5 stiff
Cleveland Mashie 18 hybrid
Ping I E1 4-uw. Modus 105 stiff
Ping 54, 58 Tour S
Taylormade DJ Spider Tour

18

#49 Yanki01

Yanki01

    VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,609 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 58157
  • Joined: 06/17/2008
  • Location:Corpus Christi, TX
  • Handicap:5.7
GolfWRX Likes : 1686

Posted 15 November 2017 - 03:44 PM

Living in South Texas and would normally play a few rounds when it gets cold. nothing under 45-50* though. I normally just need a base layer and a sweater or half zip pull over which i have along with pants. anyone try this thermal base layer from Amazon?

https://www.amazon.c...=A2Q6XV9HQ2RH17
915D2 Rogue Silver 60S
915F Rogue Black 80S
915H Rogue Black 85S
712u 4i Recoil F4 110
714 AP2 5-PW Nippon Modus3 Tour 105x
SM6 52.08F, 56.08M & 60.10S grind w/ DGx100 (8i shafts)
Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec 34/350G


WITB || Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec

19

#50 Bdog17

Bdog17

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 396414
  • Joined: 09/18/2015
  • Location:Australia Sydney
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 15 November 2017 - 11:09 PM

i have a pair of uniqlo blocktec pants and they are the warmest almost too warm pair of pants i have ever worn.. way to warm for an aussie winter.

Edited by Bdog17, 15 November 2017 - 11:14 PM.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#51 soregongolfer

soregongolfer

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 97841
  • Joined: 11/03/2009
  • Location:Roseburg, OR
GolfWRX Likes : 533

Posted 16 November 2017 - 12:23 AM

View PostWarrick, on 14 November 2017 - 08:35 AM, said:

I am playing in a few hours, will be about 50* with 10mph wind....

TNF flash Dry light base - TNF Mid layer Polartec pant - Nike Flex pant

UA Infrared fitted base, Nike Therma Core 1/4 zip, Nike Aerolaayer Hyperadapr jacket, TNF stocking cap

Good to go.

50?  That's shorts and a sweatshirt for me.

21

#52 Warrick

Warrick

    Hall of Fame

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 6,969 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 275445
  • Joined: 09/10/2013
GolfWRX Likes : 3778

Posted 16 November 2017 - 05:05 AM

View Postbrowne11, on 14 November 2017 - 07:09 PM, said:

View Postfarlo001, on 14 November 2017 - 05:58 PM, said:

What kind of socks are you guys wearing?  I doubled up last time I played with thin wool dress socks as the first layer.  Wasn't that effective.

I wear hiking socks if cold or ski socks if really cold. If I double up, my feet sweat and that's the worst. Then you have cold wet feet and your day is pretty much ruined.

socks is tougher.  If you double up, first layer needs to be a coolmax liner that is not too constricting, blood flow is key in the fingers and toes, second layer also not too heavy or constricting, NO COTTON.
GBB Epic 9* - Tensei Pro Orange 60 - 47" (animal)
Epic SZ 3+ - Tensei Pro Orange 70 - 44"
Epic 3H - Recoil
MP18 Combo 4-P - PX LZ 6.0
Mizuno T7 - 48-53-58 - PX LZ 6.5
Odyssey Black 7s-Tank-34"

22

#53 4puttJohnny

4puttJohnny

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 333715
  • Joined: 08/13/2014
GolfWRX Likes : 145

Posted 16 November 2017 - 08:14 PM

Galvin Green’s stuff is primarily just for rain, right?  They don’t really make products for dry, cold (32-40 F) temps?

23

#54 chris975d

chris975d

    Tour Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 787 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 404098
  • Joined: 11/27/2015
  • Location:Georgia
  • Ebay ID:jscott8307
GolfWRX Likes : 655

Posted 17 November 2017 - 06:17 AM

View Post4puttJohnny, on 16 November 2017 - 08:14 PM, said:

Galvin Green’s stuff is primarily just for rain, right?  They don’t really make products for dry, cold (32-40 F) temps?

No, they have items for cold, dry as well.  Their Insula items are the best thermal layers I've ever used, and I've used just about all that's out there.  Also have Gore Windstopper outerwear which isn't designed for rain, but to keep body heat in and wind out.  So yes, they have base layers, mid layers, and outerwear items for all weather conditions.  Not just wet weather gear.  I have some of all of it, if you have any questions feel free to PM me.

24

#55 prsgtrman

prsgtrman

    prsgtrman

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,161 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 178754
  • Joined: 05/03/2012
  • Location:charlotte
  • Handicap:wife
GolfWRX Likes : 323

Posted 17 November 2017 - 07:36 AM

my favorite pants are the state apparel pants. i WONT wear them if the temps are over 50* bc they are too warm. i experiment alot with different layers. i am interested in the ping norse now that it is being endorsed by chris975d. ive seen many of his posts and know he has tons of gear


25

#56 BlackDiamondPar5

BlackDiamondPar5

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,460 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71580
  • Joined: 12/30/2008
  • Location:Western NY
GolfWRX Likes : 1850

Posted 17 November 2017 - 07:49 AM

Another vote for a base of merino wool (aka smartwool LL Bean Cresta wool and others) . Once I made the switch I was able to reduce 1 overall layer. Merino seems to have a broad temperature range that provides comfort.

26

#57 wkndhack

wkndhack

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 425792
  • Joined: 05/19/2016
  • Location:New England
GolfWRX Likes : 241

Posted 17 November 2017 - 08:49 AM

If it's 40 or below, or below 50 and wet, I go with Puma PWRWARM pants and 1/4 zip. For a base layer, if you are looking for a looser fit than UA, see if you can find the Army issue set, especially the older black ones since desert sand color probably doesn't match your polo. You can find them online pretty easy.
Cobra King F7+ Elements Chrome+ 7F4
Cobra King F7 3W Elements Chrome 7F4
Cobra King F6 Baffler Elements Chrome+ 7F5
Cobra Forged Tec 4-GW DG S300AMT
Cobra King 54V, 58V
Bettinardi QB6
Srixon Z-Star XV

27

#58 onetime19

onetime19

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 922 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 122469
  • Joined: 02/17/2011
  • Location:Lantana TX
GolfWRX Likes : 37

Posted 17 November 2017 - 09:34 AM

Just use a good base layer like UA 3.0, and windstopper/sweater and you good dog. We live in Texas doesn't get that cold, well to us, 50 is cold :superman2:

28

#59 bunta

bunta

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 207611
  • Joined: 10/18/2012
GolfWRX Likes : 82

Posted 17 November 2017 - 12:53 PM

View Postprsgtrman, on 17 November 2017 - 07:36 AM, said:

my favorite pants are the state apparel pants. i WONT wear them if the temps are over 50* bc they are too warm. i experiment alot with different layers. i am interested in the ping norse now that it is being endorsed by chris975d. ive seen many of his posts and know he has tons of gear

The man does know his stuff. He's one of the reasons why i went and bought the Norse. Got it day n a half later after i posted. Put it on, first thing i noticed was the rather flimsy collar. It doesnt like to stay up unless you pinch it and make it cover your neck. And when it droops back down again, it looks like you wearing a "bomber" jacket and that was one of my biggest gripes about the Norse. And the little modest logo they decided to put on the left sleeve. Wished it was bigger and brighter; but thats me since im a Ping nerd.

Besides that, Chris975d is absolutely right. Its very warm and can be worn as stand alone piece with just a base layer for -40 degree weather. And the mobility is top notch esp with the new insulating material they used (primaloft). Its very very lightweight and super comfortable. Not cheap either at $169 but i wouldnt have complained if it wasnt for the collar.

Edited by bunta, 17 November 2017 - 12:56 PM.

Cobra BC+
Cobra F7 2/3
PING i25 4-S
PING Glide 60es
PING 1966 Anser 2

29

#60 timsiegle

timsiegle

    Addict

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 169227
  • Joined: 03/13/2012
  • Location:Calgary, Alberta
  • Handicap:7.0
GolfWRX Likes : 27

Posted 17 November 2017 - 05:30 PM

View Postbuckeyefl, on 31 October 2017 - 08:16 AM, said:

View Post4puttJohnny, on 30 October 2017 - 11:14 PM, said:

I can't swing in a compression shirt.  Are there any alternative base layers?

Merino wool. REAL merino wool. YOu will never give the crap they call cold gear another look and it doesnt have to be tight fitting. Not cheap but you can catch it on sale.

http://www.icebreake...01261_color=G80

You can catch specials as low as probably $40 when they dump old stock. Its very thin, incredibly light and lasts. This model is as thin as I would go and the next level up I wear in winter with just a coat over top when I go outside. It would also work for golf. Just look at the models when picking sizes. I go up one because I didnt want skin tight and it fits great. One of these a golf shirt and a shell on top and I am golden. And if you do start getting warm and sweating it keeps you nice and dry. Fantastic products.

Yes Yes Yes. Icebreaker all the way. I've been wearing it for a few years and every piece I have still looks and fits like new. It's unbelievable how good this stuff is.

Pro tip: Their socks have a lifetime warranty so you can exchange them for a new pair when they wear out.

Callaway Great Big Bertha 10.5*
Titleist 910F 16.5*
Titleist 910H 20.5*
Ping S55 4-PW
Cleveland 588 Satin 50.08*

Vokey SM6 F 54.14*
Ping Glide 60* TS
Odyssey White Hot Pro #7

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

30



1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors