Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Juniors in club tournaments

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Noles

Noles

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 136360
GolfWRX Likes : 256

Posted 28 October 2017 - 07:37 PM

Are juniors allowed to play in regular club tournaments at your club?  I'm asking because I was just told that my home club is proposing a rule that now prohibits juniors from playing in regular club tournaments.  The reason they are giving is that alcohol is served during the tournaments and this presents an issue.  My pro told me on the side that several members were upset when my 13 year old son and I finished tied for second in our 2 day member-member tournament in June.  Just curious how it goes in your club.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 leezer99

leezer99

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
GolfWRX Likes : 161

Posted 28 October 2017 - 09:04 PM

For the members to change the by-laws would require a vote.  All I can say is that you should be attending club meetings and making your voice heard if you want him to continue playing.  That being said... read the other post about having a 12 year old join a club. Many good points made against having juniors in men's clubs.

#3 Augustok

Augustok

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 435478
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 28 October 2017 - 09:08 PM

At our club Juniors May play in club championship theory being best should be crowned champ.  But other than that no.

#4 BrianMcG

BrianMcG

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71565
GolfWRX Likes : 1135

Posted 28 October 2017 - 09:38 PM

No juniors were allowed to play in any club events in any club I worked at. The reason being is that, at those clubs, they were not members, their parents were, but they were allowed to use the facility. They did have many junior events.

Also, it rubs people the wrong way to compete against some teenager that can beat balls all day while they are working.

My personal opinion is that I don't think it should be allowed. But I'm a jerk.

Edited by BrianMcG, 28 October 2017 - 09:39 PM.

#5 Noles

Noles

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2017 - 09:59 PM

View Postleezer99, on 28 October 2017 - 09:04 PM, said:

For the members to change the by-laws would require a vote.  All I can say is that you should be attending club meetings and making your voice heard if you want him to continue playing.  That being said... read the other post about having a 12 year old join a club. Many good points made against having juniors in men's clubs.
Actually our club has an owner so really he has final say but he will go with whatever the golf committee decides.  I will attend the meeting but it sounds like it is a foregone conclusion.

#6 spezza11

spezza11

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 140275
  • Handicap:5.2
GolfWRX Likes : 106

Posted 29 October 2017 - 01:51 PM

If a club doesnít have a enough juniors to have a junior club tourney and the kid is good enough to play with the adults then whatís the harm. If that kids parents understand there could be some ignorant over 18 year old ďadultsĒ thatís cannot stop swearing for 4 hours and be sour that they are there because and go forbid getting beat, then they should be allowed to play. What kinda of mindset does these clubs that discourage the youth and future of the game!!!
Then those same adults complain about todays youth because they play video games indoors! Lol itís a joke!
My opinion bottom line I would encourage all youth to play. If an adult canít suck up his pride because he cant play and a 15 year old beats him, thatís his problem. Maybe that adult should workout a little more and work on his game rather then telling a kid that loves this game no go home you canít play here!
Iím a 37 year old and play to a 5.3 index. If a 12-17 year old came out and beat me, I would think thatís awesome and tell him or her that!
We should be taking them in after and buying them a burger and soda give your heads a shake!

Edited by spezza11, 29 October 2017 - 01:53 PM.

Taylormade r11s 10.5 (Diamana kaiíli stiff 70 x5ct)
Callaway RAZR X Black 5-wood 19 degree (stiff)
Titleist 910H 21 (Diamana ahina stiff)
Titleist 690.MB 3-PW (S300)
Vokey SM4 (oil can 54.11, black nickel 60.7 wedge flex)
Odyssey Metal X #8, 34"
Titleist Lightweight stand bag
Nike TW '14 white
Ball - any premium found used ball

#7 Noles

Noles

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2017 - 07:31 PM

Itís not a major deal to me, just curious what itís like elsewhere.  I remember when I was younger I caddied several times for juniors in regular club tournaments so I figured it was pretty common.  The part that irritates me is that it has never been a problem until this year when my son and I almost won a big tournament.  Now suddenly itís a problem because alcohol is available.

#8 tiger1873

tiger1873

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 340777
GolfWRX Likes : 87

Posted 29 October 2017 - 09:13 PM

If your kid is good enough they should be able to play. The problem is the average weekend hacker wants to think they have a shot at winning. Kids playing with them means they will drink less and feel like the tournament is rigged angainst them.  They also are the same guys who complain the new guy wins and then complain the guy had a handicap too high. They are only happy if they beat the new guys. Kids are better off not playing with those people if they have any skill.

Kids who can play with adults should play in junior tournaments because if they can win they will get more then a free putter or some money to spend in the pro shop.

Edited by tiger1873, 29 October 2017 - 09:15 PM.

#9 Noles

Noles

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2017 - 09:30 PM

View Posttiger1873, on 29 October 2017 - 09:13 PM, said:

If your kid is good enough they should be able to play. The problem is the average weekend hacker wants to think they have a shot at winning. Kids playing with them means they will drink less and feel like the tournament is rigged angainst them.  They also are the same guys who complain the new guy wins and then complain the guy had a handicap too high. They are only happy if they beat the new guys. Kids are better off not playing with those people if they have any skill.

Kids who can play with adults should play in junior tournaments because if they can win they will get more then a free putter or some money to spend in the pro shop.
He plays in plenty of junior tournaments.  A lot of times in keeps me from playing in the club tournaments.  So when he and I play as partners in a club tournament, its really for my benefit, not his.  It created great memories.  We played 4 different formats over 2 days.  It was great.  I had a blast.  To me its silly that people want to prevent that.

#10 tiger1873

tiger1873

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2017 - 09:47 AM

View PostNoles, on 29 October 2017 - 09:30 PM, said:

He plays in plenty of junior tournaments.  A lot of times in keeps me from playing in the club tournaments.  So when he and I play as partners in a club tournament, its really for my benefit, not his.  It created great memories.  We played 4 different formats over 2 days.  It was great.  I had a blast.  To me its silly that people want to prevent that.

Around here we the local pga puts on local father/son/daughter tournaments all the time. Usually they fill up quickly.  That is the best place to do tournaments with kids. Some clubs it might be okay to pair with your son. Remember though some guys will not like it.

Last time I was at tournament in our club one of the guys joked how he made his daughter hit 30 times to hole to make sure she never plays again. He joked how he like his alone time without them. Needless to say it was a long couple of hours playing with him.  

We tend to play golf as a family every Sunday when we can. This will create good memories as well.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 Noles

Noles

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2017 - 12:32 PM

View Posttiger1873, on 30 October 2017 - 09:47 AM, said:

View PostNoles, on 29 October 2017 - 09:30 PM, said:

Around here we the local pga puts on local father/son/daughter tournaments all the time. Usually they fill up quickly.  That is the best place to do tournaments with kids. Some clubs it might be okay to pair with your son. Remember though some guys will not like it.

Last time I was at tournament in our club one of the guys joked how he made his daughter hit 30 times to hole to make sure she never plays again. He joked how he like his alone time without them. Needless to say it was a long couple of hours playing with him.  

We tend to play golf as a family every Sunday when we can. This will create good memories as well.
So is there a policy one way or the other at your club about regular club tournaments?

#12 tiger1873

tiger1873

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2017 - 03:53 PM

Yes you have to be 18 but the fact that most of the guys playing are in there 60s even if your 25 you wouldnít want to play with them since they treat anyone under 40 as a kid.

I would say that is pretty typical when it comes to country clubs. Generally better to play with a group of guys your own age anyways.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors