Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

What waterproofs?


55 replies to this topic

#31 Hawkeye77

Hawkeye77

    The adventure begins!

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 14,931 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100868
  • Joined: 12/27/2009
  • Location:Iowa
GolfWRX Likes : 11321

Posted 11 November 2017 - 05:47 PM

 mp29, on 10 November 2017 - 11:51 PM, said:

Galvin Green the best of the best. Just picked up a suit from seamlessgolf.com. David is the man and always best prices and service. Both highly recommended.

Just ordered the two years ago full zip paclite Gore-Tex Aston for $205.00, beats $400+ for the current year version of the same thing to me.  Pretty happy about seeing this post and checking that out today.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#32 chris975d

chris975d

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,106 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 404098
  • Joined: 11/27/2015
  • Location:Georgia
  • Ebay ID:jscott8307
GolfWRX Likes : 978

Posted 11 November 2017 - 08:55 PM

 Hawkeye77, on 11 November 2017 - 05:47 PM, said:

 mp29, on 10 November 2017 - 11:51 PM, said:

Galvin Green the best of the best. Just picked up a suit from seamlessgolf.com. David is the man and always best prices and service. Both highly recommended.

Just ordered the two years ago full zip paclite Gore-Tex Aston for $205.00, beats $400+ for the current year version of the same thing to me.  Pretty happy about seeing this post and checking that out today.

Could have gotten current year's versions for a few dollars more at GolfPoser.  Even the Avery with stretch Paclite for approx $250. But for the most part, it is all the same thing. I will say the stretch is really nice to have though.

2

#33 Hawkeye77

Hawkeye77

    The adventure begins!

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 14,931 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100868
  • Joined: 12/27/2009
  • Location:Iowa
GolfWRX Likes : 11321

Posted 11 November 2017 - 09:14 PM

 chris975d, on 11 November 2017 - 08:55 PM, said:

 Hawkeye77, on 11 November 2017 - 05:47 PM, said:

 mp29, on 10 November 2017 - 11:51 PM, said:

Galvin Green the best of the best. Just picked up a suit from seamlessgolf.com. David is the man and always best prices and service. Both highly recommended.

Just ordered the two years ago full zip paclite Gore-Tex Aston for $205.00, beats $400+ for the current year version of the same thing to me.  Pretty happy about seeing this post and checking that out today.

Could have gotten current year's versions for a few dollars more at GolfPoser.  Even the Avery with stretch Paclite for approx $250. But for the most part, it is all the same thing. I will say the stretch is really nice to have though.

Aston is stretch, and like the color, so don't mind saving $45, but will check around over time for other stuff. Tough to find deals on the pants.

3

#34 chris975d

chris975d

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,106 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 404098
  • Joined: 11/27/2015
  • Location:Georgia
  • Ebay ID:jscott8307
GolfWRX Likes : 978

Posted 11 November 2017 - 09:17 PM

 Hawkeye77, on 11 November 2017 - 09:14 PM, said:

 chris975d, on 11 November 2017 - 08:55 PM, said:

 Hawkeye77, on 11 November 2017 - 05:47 PM, said:

 mp29, on 10 November 2017 - 11:51 PM, said:

Galvin Green the best of the best. Just picked up a suit from seamlessgolf.com. David is the man and always best prices and service. Both highly recommended.

Just ordered the two years ago full zip paclite Gore-Tex Aston for $205.00, beats $400+ for the current year version of the same thing to me.  Pretty happy about seeing this post and checking that out today.

Could have gotten current year's versions for a few dollars more at GolfPoser.  Even the Avery with stretch Paclite for approx $250. But for the most part, it is all the same thing. I will say the stretch is really nice to have though.

Aston is stretch, and like the color, so don't mind saving $45, but will check around over time for other stuff. Tough to find deals on the pants.

I will say GolfPoser's Black Friday sales usually include Galvin, and are basically unbeatable.  Think I spent about $1200 on it last year and had about 6-7 pieces of current year gear out of it.

4

#35 Hawkeye77

Hawkeye77

    The adventure begins!

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 14,931 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100868
  • Joined: 12/27/2009
  • Location:Iowa
GolfWRX Likes : 11321

Posted 11 November 2017 - 09:20 PM

Oops, Avery was $258 plus shipping, so still pretty happy. Will check out the Black Friday deals, though. Thanks!


5

#36 chris975d

chris975d

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,106 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 404098
  • Joined: 11/27/2015
  • Location:Georgia
  • Ebay ID:jscott8307
GolfWRX Likes : 978

Posted 11 November 2017 - 09:24 PM

 Hawkeye77, on 11 November 2017 - 09:20 PM, said:

Oops, Avery was $258 plus shipping, so still pretty happy. Will check out the Black Friday deals, though. Thanks!

GolfPoser doesn't have any shipping charges over 200, which most Galvin is priced above, anyway. And it's stupidly fast shipping.  Usually 3 days to me here in GA.

6

#37 BeardedBearMan

BeardedBearMan

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 485402
  • Joined: 10/27/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 15 November 2017 - 07:04 AM

 4puttJohnny, on 07 November 2017 - 09:32 PM, said:

ProQuip always has huge discounts on Black Friday.

ProQuip doesn't sell on their own website right? So where would you find the discounts? I'm about to go for a Proquip Trophy waterproof jacket and stormforce px5 trousers but if there may be deals to be had in a week's time I might wait.

Thanks.

7

#38 chris975d

chris975d

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,106 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 404098
  • Joined: 11/27/2015
  • Location:Georgia
  • Ebay ID:jscott8307
GolfWRX Likes : 978

Posted 15 November 2017 - 08:15 AM

 BeardedBearMan, on 15 November 2017 - 07:04 AM, said:

 4puttJohnny, on 07 November 2017 - 09:32 PM, said:

ProQuip always has huge discounts on Black Friday.

ProQuip doesn't sell on their own website right? So where would you find the discounts? I'm about to go for a Proquip Trophy waterproof jacket and stormforce px5 trousers but if there may be deals to be had in a week's time I might wait.

Thanks.

Yes, they sell on their website.

https://proquipgolfu...-rain-golf-gear

But it's almost always at MSRP. I've found much, much better deals on ProQuip items by Google searching the item I'm looking for, or on Amazon, eBay, etc.  It's usually had for pretty cheap.

8

#39 DFS PFD

DFS PFD

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 485676
  • Joined: 10/30/2017
  • Handicap:1.8
GolfWRX Likes : 447

Posted 15 November 2017 - 01:38 PM

Anything with Gore-TEX (PTFE) is a very high quality product. All you need in a water proof garment is Teflon (PTFE), Gore is the household name for it since they've held the original patent.
F8+ Kuro Kage DC 70 TX
M2 Tour 15* Kuro Kage DC 70TX
790 UDI Tensei Pro White 100TX
4-PW Nike VR Pro Blades X7's
50* MD4 Raw Tour issue S400
55* MD4 Raw Tour issue S400
60* Hi-Toe Tour Issue S400
009

9

#40 4puttJohnny

4puttJohnny

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 333715
  • Joined: 08/13/2014
GolfWRX Likes : 205

Posted 15 November 2017 - 11:03 PM

 BeardedBearMan, on 15 November 2017 - 07:04 AM, said:

 4puttJohnny, on 07 November 2017 - 09:32 PM, said:

ProQuip always has huge discounts on Black Friday.

ProQuip doesn't sell on their own website right? So where would you find the discounts? I'm about to go for a Proquip Trophy waterproof jacket and stormforce px5 trousers but if there may be deals to be had in a week's time I might wait.

Thanks.

Yes, they sell on the website.  The last two years the had a huge banner ad starting midnight Thanksgiving and it was 40% off through Sunday.   And there were no exclusions either year.

Edited by 4puttJohnny, 15 November 2017 - 11:04 PM.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#41 BeardedBearMan

BeardedBearMan

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 485402
  • Joined: 10/27/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 16 November 2017 - 04:50 AM

Ah i see - that's US Proquip. I'm based in the UK and here is their UK website: http://proquipgolf.com/

They don't sell anything there so I'm not sure if I can expect any black friday deals there.

Ok, thanks for the heads up anyway! Would love a 40% off deal!

11

#42 Warrick

Warrick

    Hall of Fame

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 8,448 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 275445
  • Joined: 09/10/2013
GolfWRX Likes : 5052

Posted 16 November 2017 - 05:43 AM

Kjus outerwear is absolutely top notch.

Lasse Kjus is not developing some inferior product.  I think being an Olympic Skier from Norway, he has a bit of understanding of foul weather.  It is certainly not cheap.

You will always sacrifice some with full waterproofs, they just do not breathe that well, regardless of cost.  You have to be sure layering is done properly.
GBB Epic 9* - Tensei Pro Orange 60
Rogue SZ 3W - Tensei Pro Orange 70
Epic 3H - Tensei Pro White 90
MP Fli-Hi/919T Combo 4-P - PX LZ 6.0
Mizuno T7 - 48-53-58 - PX LZ 6.5
O-Works Black 7s Tank
TM TP5X

12

#43 Hawkeye77

Hawkeye77

    The adventure begins!

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 14,931 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100868
  • Joined: 12/27/2009
  • Location:Iowa
GolfWRX Likes : 11321

Posted 23 November 2017 - 02:33 PM

Haven't checked any Galvin Green Black Friday specials yet, but shout out to David at Seamless for amazing customer service, and loving the Aston I picked up - wishing it was warm enough to golf and raining so I could give it a workout!

13

#44 4puttJohnny

4puttJohnny

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 333715
  • Joined: 08/13/2014
GolfWRX Likes : 205

Posted 23 November 2017 - 07:01 PM

Pro Quip Golf USA has 35% off every product on the website including their top of line waterproofs.   Use the code EAGLE.   It's usually only a 2 day event so hurry now!

14

#45 golfingal

golfingal

    Winner Winner Chicken Dinner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 134562
  • Joined: 07/29/2011
  • Location:Californian on the "other" West Coast (FL)
  • Handicap:3
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 23 November 2017 - 08:48 PM

 jester, on 03 November 2017 - 03:55 PM, said:

What is the best rain gear for someone on a budget? Looking to spend under $200 for a set.

Agree - specifically a sub-$100 jacket/shell for warm weather with long sleeves.  I have North Face HyVent Venture rain pants and they work great - so I could always get the jacket... but there's a number of things out there like Greg Norman Epic, Marmot PreCip, Columbia on and on...

Edited by golfingal, 23 November 2017 - 09:21 PM.

Ping G25 D, 3, 5, 7W
Ping G25 Irons 2.25º Green Dot +1"
Ping Tour Gorge 56º, 60º, Ping Glide 50º
Odyssey Sabertooth Putter

Posted Image

15

#46 golfingal

golfingal

    Winner Winner Chicken Dinner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 134562
  • Joined: 07/29/2011
  • Location:Californian on the "other" West Coast (FL)
  • Handicap:3
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 24 November 2017 - 08:26 AM

 4puttJohnny, on 07 November 2017 - 09:32 PM, said:

ProQuip always has huge discounts on Black Friday.

Now to decide - Proquip TourLite versus Aquastorm - they are about the same price ($100ish) after sale/discount.  Aquastorm mentions 3 year waterproof warranty - TourLite mentions nothing - but the TourLite is $200 retail and the Aquatorm is just $150.  Does that make the TourLite better - or just maybe more expensive due to the compactness of the material?  hmmmmm


EDIT -

I tried emailing on a whim and got a fast response from the President of ProQuip US - I'm impressed.  Looks like the TourLite for me!

"The main difference between the Tour Lite and the Aquastorm is that the Tour Lite is paper thin and lightweight where the Aquastorm has a mesh layer underneath to provide more warmth than the Tour Lite. Both have 3 year waterproof warranties as well."


Looks like the TourLite for me!  ORDERED - $120 w/free shipping and no tax.

Edited by golfingal, 24 November 2017 - 09:55 AM.

Ping G25 D, 3, 5, 7W
Ping G25 Irons 2.25º Green Dot +1"
Ping Tour Gorge 56º, 60º, Ping Glide 50º
Odyssey Sabertooth Putter

Posted Image

16

#47 4puttJohnny

4puttJohnny

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 333715
  • Joined: 08/13/2014
GolfWRX Likes : 205

Posted 24 November 2017 - 06:38 PM

 golfingal, on 24 November 2017 - 08:26 AM, said:

 4puttJohnny, on 07 November 2017 - 09:32 PM, said:

ProQuip always has huge discounts on Black Friday.

Now to decide - Proquip TourLite versus Aquastorm - they are about the same price ($100ish) after sale/discount.  Aquastorm mentions 3 year waterproof warranty - TourLite mentions nothing - but the TourLite is $200 retail and the Aquatorm is just $150.  Does that make the TourLite better - or just maybe more expensive due to the compactness of the material?  hmmmmm


EDIT -

I tried emailing on a whim and got a fast response from the President of ProQuip US - I'm impressed.  Looks like the TourLite for me!

"The main difference between the Tour Lite and the Aquastorm is that the Tour Lite is paper thin and lightweight where the Aquastorm has a mesh layer underneath to provide more warmth than the Tour Lite. Both have 3 year waterproof warranties as well."


Looks like the TourLite for me!  ORDERED - $120 w/free shipping and no tax.

That’s a good deal on the TourLite!

17

#48 Hawkeye77

Hawkeye77

    The adventure begins!

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 14,931 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100868
  • Joined: 12/27/2009
  • Location:Iowa
GolfWRX Likes : 11321

Posted 24 November 2017 - 09:18 PM

GG August Paclite waterproof pants seemed pretty well priced at a couple of places.  Picked up a pair from Function18.  

Have managed to get 3 really good deals in the last week for different items of GG that I wanted that haven't seemed to be on sale all summer and fall.

Yay!

18

#49 chris975d

chris975d

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,106 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 404098
  • Joined: 11/27/2015
  • Location:Georgia
  • Ebay ID:jscott8307
GolfWRX Likes : 978

Posted 25 November 2017 - 07:58 AM

 4puttJohnny, on 23 November 2017 - 07:01 PM, said:

Pro Quip Golf USA has 35% off every product on the website including their top of line waterproofs.   Use the code EAGLE.   It's usually only a 2 day event so hurry now!

With ProQuip, you can almost always find it at lower prices at vendors other than ProQuip, even with the 35% discount.  ProQuip sells way under MSRP most everywhere, and obviously ProQuip sells at MSRP.


Currently the best deal (anywhere, I think) on ProQuip is here:

https://golfsupport....erproof-jackets

That's their top of the line PX5 jacket, which is $380 on ProQuip's site.  And the matching (expensive MSRP) PX5 pants are only $112 on the same site.  That's jacket and pants for about the same price as the jacket only on ProQuip's own site, even after Black Friday discount.

19

#50 cristphoto

cristphoto

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,138 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 42981
  • Joined: 11/30/2007
GolfWRX Likes : 649

Posted 25 November 2017 - 10:05 AM

Tip of the day:

Right now TGW has the Zero Restriction Stealth Goretex half sleeve rain jacket on sale for $99.  This has to be the best deal going. Mine just came in the mail today (I'm a bit peeved as I ordered this last week on their pre-Black Friday sale for $112 - which is still a great price).

Edit: I called TGW and they credited me the $13 difference.  Great company to deal with.

Edited by cristphoto, 25 November 2017 - 11:06 AM.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#51 MitchCumstein

MitchCumstein

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 51146
  • Joined: 03/10/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 63

Posted 25 November 2017 - 10:35 AM

I have KJUS, Galvin Green and Zero. All are excellent but KJUS is by far the best in fit and function.

21

#52 golfingal

golfingal

    Winner Winner Chicken Dinner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 134562
  • Joined: 07/29/2011
  • Location:Californian on the "other" West Coast (FL)
  • Handicap:3
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 25 November 2017 - 12:09 PM

 cristphoto, on 25 November 2017 - 10:05 AM, said:


Right now TGW has the Zero Restriction Stealth Goretex half sleeve rain jacket

It's a SHIRT, not a jacket for $99 - so watch the description closely before hitting BUY.  Still probably a good deal though.
Ping G25 D, 3, 5, 7W
Ping G25 Irons 2.25º Green Dot +1"
Ping Tour Gorge 56º, 60º, Ping Glide 50º
Odyssey Sabertooth Putter

Posted Image

22

#53 cristphoto

cristphoto

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,138 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 42981
  • Joined: 11/30/2007
GolfWRX Likes : 649

Posted 25 November 2017 - 12:21 PM

 golfingal, on 25 November 2017 - 12:09 PM, said:

 cristphoto, on 25 November 2017 - 10:05 AM, said:

Right now TGW has the Zero Restriction Stealth Goretex half sleeve rain jacket

It's a SHIRT, not a jacket for $99 - so watch the description closely before hitting BUY.  Still probably a good deal though.

I could never understand why they call it a shirt. Same way with Footjoy rain gear - full zip is jacket and half zip is shirt. It's a pullover with a half zip. I have ZR jackets and pullovers and they are basically identical except for the length of the zipper.  Pockets, material, construction.  You're right - its a very good deal for Zero Restriction Goretex.  ZR makes great golf gear.

23

#54 4puttJohnny

4puttJohnny

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 333715
  • Joined: 08/13/2014
GolfWRX Likes : 205

Posted 25 November 2017 - 02:19 PM

 chris975d, on 25 November 2017 - 07:58 AM, said:

 4puttJohnny, on 23 November 2017 - 07:01 PM, said:

Pro Quip Golf USA has 35% off every product on the website including their top of line waterproofs.   Use the code EAGLE.   It's usually only a 2 day event so hurry now!

With ProQuip, you can almost always find it at lower prices at vendors other than ProQuip, even with the 35% discount.  ProQuip sells way under MSRP most everywhere, and obviously ProQuip sells at MSRP.


Currently the best deal (anywhere, I think) on ProQuip is here:

https://golfsupport....erproof-jackets

That's their top of the line PX5 jacket, which is $380 on ProQuip's site.  And the matching (expensive MSRP) PX5 pants are only $112 on the same site.  That's jacket and pants for about the same price as the jacket only on ProQuip's own site, even after Black Friday discount.

Good point.  Likewise, it’s about 4x the cost of me to return the items to Golf Support, which is based overseas, than to Massachusetts, where Pro Quip USA is based.

24

#55 chris975d

chris975d

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,106 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 404098
  • Joined: 11/27/2015
  • Location:Georgia
  • Ebay ID:jscott8307
GolfWRX Likes : 978

Posted 25 November 2017 - 02:23 PM

 4puttJohnny, on 25 November 2017 - 02:19 PM, said:

 chris975d, on 25 November 2017 - 07:58 AM, said:

 4puttJohnny, on 23 November 2017 - 07:01 PM, said:

Pro Quip Golf USA has 35% off every product on the website including their top of line waterproofs.   Use the code EAGLE.   It's usually only a 2 day event so hurry now!

With ProQuip, you can almost always find it at lower prices at vendors other than ProQuip, even with the 35% discount.  ProQuip sells way under MSRP most everywhere, and obviously ProQuip sells at MSRP.


Currently the best deal (anywhere, I think) on ProQuip is here:

https://golfsupport....erproof-jackets

That's their top of the line PX5 jacket, which is $380 on ProQuip's site.  And the matching (expensive MSRP) PX5 pants are only $112 on the same site.  That's jacket and pants for about the same price as the jacket only on ProQuip's own site, even after Black Friday discount.

Good point.  Likewise, it’s about 4x the cost of me to return the items to Golf Support, which is based overseas, than to Massachusetts, where Pro Quip USA is based.

Good point if you're one to be prone to return often.  I've just never really had that much need in it.  The couple of times I've had to return to Galvin Green (also overseas), it wasn't that expensive, and I think on one of them I didn't even have to pay.  I'd have to go back and check, but it's never deterred me.


25

#56 golfingal

golfingal

    Winner Winner Chicken Dinner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 134562
  • Joined: 07/29/2011
  • Location:Californian on the "other" West Coast (FL)
  • Handicap:3
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 25 November 2017 - 04:12 PM

Quote


Likewise, it’s about 4x the cost of me to return the items to Golf Support, which is based overseas, than to Massachusetts, where Pro Quip USA is based.

Quote

Good point if you're one to be prone to return often.  I've just never really had that much need in it.  The couple of times I've had to return to Galvin Green (also overseas), it wasn't that expensive, and I think on one of them I didn't even have to pay.  I'd have to go back and check, but it's never deterred me.

Warranty is the main reason I bought direct - in case it leaks...  an authorized retailer is OK but manufacturer/distributor direct will be a great point of contact.  If one bought on Ebay (and there were some) who knows - warranty might be difficult, it could even be a fake.
Ping G25 D, 3, 5, 7W
Ping G25 Irons 2.25º Green Dot +1"
Ping Tour Gorge 56º, 60º, Ping Glide 50º
Odyssey Sabertooth Putter

Posted Image

26



1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors