Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

My mizuno mp-18 experience

173 replies to this topic

#61 The Beav

The Beav

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 348907
  • Handicap:9.0
GolfWRX Likes : 163

Posted 06 November 2017 - 08:08 AM

There is a small percentage of mid handicaps that are able to find the center of the face regularly in my experience.  Sounds like the OP fits this category.  

Time to quit hitting the range and start working the practice green and short game area and you won't be a mid cap for long.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#62 KCCO

KCCO

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 138532
GolfWRX Likes : 241

Posted 06 November 2017 - 08:46 AM

Baitkiller, on 28 October 2017 - 09:28 AM, said:

Not sure if I managed to say what I wanted to say. :golfer:
Agree with the modern blade statement as well....had a set of older Wilson and MacGregors in front of me yesterday, in comparison to newer "blades" I don't think todays are nearly as slim, and compact as what the older irons consisted of...I guess it's really noticeable in short irons (size in past being very small), but even 2,3,4 iron was just scary small. I didn't have a set of Titleist MB's to compare but would love to see or here how significant the size difference was 35-40 years ago versus the modern day "blade".

Edited by KCCO, 06 November 2017 - 08:46 AM.

Titleist 917 D3
Titleist 917 F
Titleist 915 H
PXG 0311T                    MCI-100 black
PXG Darkness 52/58.    MCI-100 black
009 ProV1

#63 dmeeksDC

dmeeksDC

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 431476
  • Handicap:10
  • Ebay ID:dmeeks2010
GolfWRX Likes : 221

Posted 06 November 2017 - 09:13 AM

My ranking of what affects my score:
1. Putting
2. Wedges/short game
3. Tee shots
4. Irons

I find if I keep the ball in good position off the tee, that matters more than iron play. Because if I drive it in the woods, good iron shots to get out are still good, but that is an escape, not a scoring shot. I don't need huge tee shots, just solid swings in good position.

I also have had days where I barely miss the green on approach and then do not get up and down due to average short-game shots. On the green from close in but needing 2 more putts is frustrating.

Not to say strong iron play won't help, it is major. Irons and putting are the strengths of my game. But every time I break down my game, it is putting well that matters most and getting the ball close with wedges and chips. Have had great days with the irons and did not break 80. Have had so-so days with them and shot 75.

And for practice, if I skip the range completely -- no irons, no driver practice -- and only hit short pitches and 3/4 shot wedges to a practice green, and also practice putting, my scores will drop. Hank Haney says take only your wedges to the range and it makes a difference.  

It is interesting to examine where you waste the most strokes. Definitely possible to be a solid iron player and a 15 handicap, but I would say also likely that player is not in great position and is not hitting lots of greens in regulation. If you hit half the greens in reg, you can shoot a pretty good score.
Current lineup:

TM M1 440 Tour Issue, 10-degree, Diamana B Series X,
67g.
Nike Flex 3 wood, Diamana S-70 stiff
Callaway Epic 5W, Hzrdus T800 S, 65g.
Callaway Apex hybrid, 20 degree, Kuro Kage 80HY stiff shaft
Mizuno MP-59, 4-P, PX 5.5
(Coming: Srixon z565 4 iron, z965 5-P, C Taper Lite X.)
Ping Glide 50, 54, CFS wedge shafts
Fourteen RM12 58/12 sand wedge
Edel Rogue putter (thick blade), 34 inch.

#64 Lincoln_Arcadia

Lincoln_Arcadia

Golf is supposed to be fun, enjoy it. . .

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 263134
GolfWRX Likes : 33

Posted 06 November 2017 - 10:25 AM

KCCO, on 06 November 2017 - 08:46 AM, said:

Baitkiller, on 28 October 2017 - 09:28 AM, said:

Not sure if I managed to say what I wanted to say. :golfer:
Agree with the modern blade statement as well....had a set of older Wilson and MacGregors in front of me yesterday, in comparison to newer "blades" I don't think todays are nearly as slim, and compact as what the older irons consisted of...I guess it's really noticeable in short irons (size in past being very small), but even 2,3,4 iron was just scary small. I didn't have a set of Titleist MB's to compare but would love to see or here how significant the size difference was 35-40 years ago versus the modern day "blade".

Titleist MB and MP-32 were the first true modern blades, and they came around about 2005. Both of them are not that much harder to hit than a CB type club because they both have a lot of bounce. Where most people break down is in the mid to long irons. Flight and spin suffer a lot because they tend to be too much club for most to handle.

dmeeksDC, on 06 November 2017 - 09:13 AM, said:

Definitely possible to be a solid iron player and a 15 handicap, but I would say also likely that player is not in great position and is not hitting lots of greens in regulation.

Also, many of the higher handicaps who think they can use the MB type clubs do not know what kind of ball flight and spin to expect from the mid to long irons. Take the 5i as an example. Most are content hitting a lower shot that run for a while. If you ask a single digit player what they want from a 5i, they'll tell you a towering shot that stops within 10 feet or better if possible. Longer irons are no different. If you can't hit that towering shot, then use a game improvement club or even a hybrid set.

I think many higher handicaps post that they can use players clubs because they're simply justifying the money they spent on those $1000 irons instead of purchasing something they can use to learn to play. I doubt that any of them are decent ball strikers even though they think it. If they had terrible driving and putting but a great iron game, they'd have a single digit handicap.

Most mid to high handicaps just don't know a good strike. Only the ones with degenerating games from age would know.

#65 VCGolfer79

VCGolfer79

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 389016
  • Handicap:5
  • Ebay ID:partyn1979
GolfWRX Likes : 28

Posted 06 November 2017 - 01:44 PM

Being able to hit a 7 iron 170 doesnt mean anything if you miss your target all the time. I hate to break it to you but a 7 iron is not your 170 yd club. Try hitting a 6 iron with a 3/4 controlled swing and your misses wont be so far off. The 5.5 flex shafts dont help either. Swinging that hard with a 7 iron should be 6.0 and maybe 6.5. I hit my MP 33 7 iron from 170 with DG S300. I can hit it 180-190 if I wanted to but thats what my 6 and 5 iron are for. Golf is not how far you hit something it's about accuracy.

If you are missing by that much and that often the you are doing it all wrong. You are swinging too hard and are not in control. Pump the brakes on yr ego and hit an extra club. A 5 or 6 iron shot on the green looks a hell of a lot better than a 7 iron wet or in the trap. Or keep on keepn on and never improve.

Cobra Fly Z+ Aldila ATX Green
M2 15į Aldila Rogue Silver
Adams XTD Ti 18*
Mizuno MP25 4&5 iron MP33 6-PW
Mizuno MPT5 60 Cleveland 588 52 & 56
Odyssey Tour Edition Black #5

#66 chisag

chisag

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,921 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1163
  • Handicap:+0.7
GolfWRX Likes : 526

Posted 06 November 2017 - 02:03 PM

VCGolfer79, on 06 November 2017 - 01:44 PM, said:

Being able to hit a 7 iron 170 doesnt mean anything if you miss your target all the time. I hate to break it to you but a 7 iron is not your 170 yd club. Try hitting a 6 iron with a 3/4 controlled swing and your misses wont be so far off. The 5.5 flex shafts dont help either. Swinging that hard with a 7 iron should be 6.0 and maybe 6.5. I hit my MP 33 7 iron from 170 with DG S300. I can hit it 180-190 if I wanted to but thats what my 6 and 5 iron are for. Golf is not how far you hit something it's about accuracy.

If you are missing by that much and that often the you are doing it all wrong. You are swinging too hard and are not in control. Pump the brakes on yr ego and hit an extra club. A 5 or 6 iron shot on the green looks a hell of a lot better than a 7 iron wet or in the trap. Or keep on keepn on and never improve.

... Good post. My son is an ex college All Conference DE and at 6'3" and 235 (down form his playing weight of 255) he is very athletic with crazy hand speed from all his training. He has a nice swing and hits his 7 iron about 180. I tipped some DGX100's 1" and put a Nunchuk in his driver. When we play he often clubs off me and just takes two clubs less than I use. But he is the rare exception so there are some out there, but again in my experience they are very rare.

... A friend of mine played a pro am at Firestone with Tom Weiskopf back in the late 90's. I was teaching full time back then and I often told him he was over swinging when hitting his pw 150, ofter missing the green. He was warming up next to Weiskopf (not a short hitter) and he was hitting his pw in a very tight circle. Kevin said he had an amazing swing in person, just so smooth. He asked him how far he was hitting his pw and Tom said most all of those are 120 but a few are 121 and one is 119. LOL, Kevin said he can hit his pw 150 and Weiskopf said "So can I, but then what would I do with my 8 iron?"

... When I started taking more club into greens, I finally got to a + index. Those last few shots were shaved by ignoring my ego and when inbetween clubs always taking more club and hit a full or controlled shot. Sure, a few times I hit it farther than I would have liked, but the vast majority of times I was pin high, not short like most times I tied to force my distance. Granted you have to take in pin location and slope of the green and I am not talking about purposely short as course management, I am talking about always taking plenty of club so I am swinging in rhythm and give myself the best chance at birdie/eagle.
10.5* Epic Rogue Black Tour 110  60s
19* Adams LS hybrid Kuro Kage 85Hys
19.5* Cobra King Utility Rogue Black 85Hys
21.5* RBZ Tour Altus 85HYs
4/5 TM UDi Recoil Prototype 95s
6-pw Cobra King Forged Tour Recoil Prototype 95s
52* SM6 F Grind Recoil 110s
58* SM6 M Grind Recoil 110s
33.5" Bobby Grace 6330

#67 shizblam

shizblam

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 407362
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 06 November 2017 - 06:39 PM

5 handicap here... feel like I canít hit the club face let alone the center of it. Im jelly.
2016 M1 460 9.5*
2016 M2 15*
R15 3h (-1.5*)
RSI TP 4-9
EF Wedges 47, 52, 56, 60
2016 Cameron Newport 34"

#68 Chuck905

Chuck905

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 400908
GolfWRX Likes : 57

Posted 06 November 2017 - 07:50 PM

Your playing the wrong course lol.

Schulzmc, on 05 November 2017 - 11:40 PM, said:

The effect of iron play on your game is way overrated. Iím an eight handicap. In a typical round on my course I hit one of my irons (4-pw) 12 times. Two of our par threes play over 200 yds. and two of our par fours will typically be a sand wedge or less for my approach shot. Two par fives are normally reached (or close) in two. So on two par threes I hit an iron off the tee. On 8 par fours I need to hit an iron as an approach shot. And on two par fives Iím normally hitting 8, 9, or PW on my third shot. Thatís it.

If I shoot 80 I hit my driver 12 times. A hybrid or 5 wood 8 times. 12 shots with my 4-PW. And the other 48 strokes are with my wedges and putter.

Does it really matter how forgiving my irons are?

#69 puttingmatt

puttingmatt

puttingmatt

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,375 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 50753
  • Ebay ID:puttingmatt
GolfWRX Likes : 760

Posted 06 November 2017 - 08:03 PM

Enjoy your clubs, playing blades is a blast, and they are not hard to learn from. Give yourself some time with them. You will do just fine. Adjust your swing speed to about 80 percent effort, club up when needed and get as close to the pin as possible.
Good luck and go play .

Edited by puttingmatt, 07 November 2017 - 09:23 AM.

Callaway XR 16 Pro Driver Speeder 661
TEE CB Pro F2 #3 Kuro Kage
TEE CB Pro F2 #5 Kuro Kage
Callaway Big Bertha 815 Hybrid Speeder 865
  Mizuno  MP5 5-PW Nippon N.S. Pro 1150 GH
  Mizuno MP-T5, 51*,56*, 61* Wedges Nippon N.S. Pro 1150 GH
  Odyssey Metal X Milled Versa 9 HT Putter - Super Stroke 1.0 Flatso Grip
  Taylormade TPX ball

Play Golf ..... Play Blades.

#70 Beast10

Beast10

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 461422
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 06 November 2017 - 08:45 PM

So many conflicting opinions

So many conflicting opinions

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#71 dmeeksDC

dmeeksDC

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 431476
  • Ebay ID:dmeeks2010
GolfWRX Likes : 221

Posted 06 November 2017 - 09:03 PM

I agree with Linc and a few others: So many below average players do not understand that shot length is not determined by how far you can hit an iron if you swing as hard as you can and happen to connect.

I want iron shots that land and stop on a dime. But I also know, as David Toms once told me, the best golfers play shots swinging at 80-85 percent of their max because getting close to the hole is the premiium, not catching a corner of the green about 50 feet from the cup.

I can hit an 8 iron in the 160s if I draw it and hammer it. I can hit the green at 150-155 if I control my tempo. I still get speed, but it's natural speed and on plane. And anytime I am between clubs, I go longer and it is always the play.
Current lineup:

TM M1 440 Tour Issue, 10-degree, Diamana B Series X,
67g.
Nike Flex 3 wood, Diamana S-70 stiff
Callaway Epic 5W, Hzrdus T800 S, 65g.
Callaway Apex hybrid, 20 degree, Kuro Kage 80HY stiff shaft
Mizuno MP-59, 4-P, PX 5.5
(Coming: Srixon z565 4 iron, z965 5-P, C Taper Lite X.)
Ping Glide 50, 54, CFS wedge shafts
Fourteen RM12 58/12 sand wedge
Edel Rogue putter (thick blade), 34 inch.

#72 Beast10

Beast10

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 461422
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 11 November 2017 - 02:56 PM

When I play itís never a hard swing, usually depending on how far I want it to go Iíll udjuat the swing if i need less or more

#73 mallrat

mallrat

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,085 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 122361
GolfWRX Likes : 1071

Posted 11 November 2017 - 05:54 PM

hardcaliber, on 28 October 2017 - 09:59 AM, said:

A small subset of people who are not great ball strikers will do better hitting clubs that are typically meant for really good ball strikers. I think this is a real effect. I'm not really sure why it is. I don't think it has anything to do inherently with a mb vs cb design. I have speculated in the past that it may be due to the fact that many of the blade type irons come with heavier shafts off the rack and maybe people are responding to the shafts more than the head. I've also wondered whether it's less offset or perhaps more loft that some people respond positively to rather than the mb design itself. At the end of the day, I think you should try a bunch of stuff and play what you like.

When I made the switch to blades I was a 9 handicap. I actually started hitting the ball better with blades. I stopped trying to smash the ball as hard as could, tightened up my swing and learned to concentrate better.

There is a mental effect that people donít give enough credit to.

#74 cliffhanger

cliffhanger

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,178 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 133399
  • Handicap:10.5
GolfWRX Likes : 554

Posted 11 November 2017 - 06:32 PM

I have two goals for next year...

the first goal i accomplished this year by playing from the tips... i had been playing a lot of courses in the 6000 to 6400 yard range... Now i am in the 6700 to 7200 range. yeah its tough however i find that i enjoy the challenge of having to hit driver more often instead of a long iron off the tee and i find myself hitting plenty of mid and long irons into par 4's instead of mostly short irons. Some courses actually have wider landing areas for me from the tips and less and less fairway bunkers come into play like they did from the front tees. Its not a macho thing, my scores have suffered approx. 4-5 strokes per round however i really enjoy the challenge. I do not take any longer to play a round so i am not holding up anyone in the process... we generally play ready golf.

The second goal is to play a set of blades for the first time ever... i am coming from a set of 714 AP'2s and the 2009 x forged were about the most blade like set of irons i have played to date. I am looking at MP-5's or something like that... i know it sounds crazy and it probably is... some people may say i am stupid for even thinking about this and maybe i am... however that isn't going to stop me from trying... i will work on my game as much as i can and give it my best... to me this is a fun challenge and at 45 years old i figure this may be my one time shot to do it. On a side note i have also played clubs that have been said to be on the closer side to a shovel like Cobra S3's or Callaway X-14's and i don't recall playing any better or worse with one design or another.

I have always been an advocate of people playing whatever the hell they desire to spend their money on. Whether it helps or not. Life is too short to allow others to place limitations on us for whatever reason. If we were all meant to play it safe then this life would be pretty boring. I will also set up a thread next spring on my progress so the whole world can see how it works out for me. Cheers everyone!!
Driver pending...
3 wood pending...
hybrid/ 5 wood pending...
Mizuno MP 18 Fly Hi 3 iron with Project X LZ 6.0 1deg flat
Irons pending... although i want to say f*** it and rock a set of blades for once lol
Vokey 54deg M grind SM5 wedge set 2 deg flat with DG wedge flex shaft
Cameron Futura X7M 36" counterbalanced
Calloway Chrome soft

#75 Chuck905

Chuck905

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2017 - 12:40 PM

I'm the opposite and this may not apply to you; I see too many unseasoned golfers playing from too far of a tee box beyond their skill set that it ruins the pace for everybody behind them.

I've had experienced on a courses that is rated for 4 hours and it takes 5+ hours because of inexperienced ambitious golfers.

I understand it's your money, but all of us paid as well and if enjoyment, courtesy and pace of play is taken away from public play due to a minority of stubborn players, I walk away.

Your basically saying screw everybody on the course. I know, becasue I have had a handful of on course confrontations with this attitude minded people.

A real shame and embarrassment.

Public golf is communal play not self entitlement.

cliffhanger, on 11 November 2017 - 06:32 PM, said:

the first goal i accomplished this year by playing from the tips... i had been playing a lot of courses in the 6000 to 6400 yard range... Now i am in the 6700 to 7200 range. yeah its tough however i find that i enjoy the challenge of having to hit driver more often instead of a long iron off the tee and i find myself hitting plenty of mid and long irons into par 4's instead of mostly short irons. Some courses actually have wider landing areas for me from the tips and less and less fairway bunkers come into play like they did from the front tees. Its not a macho thing, my scores have suffered approx. 4-5 strokes per round however i really enjoy the challenge. I do not take any longer to play a round so i am not holding up anyone in the process... we generally play ready golf.

The second goal is to play a set of blades for the first time ever... i am coming from a set of 714 AP'2s and the 2009 x forged were about the most blade like set of irons i have played to date. I am looking at MP-5's or something like that... i know it sounds crazy and it probably is... some people may say i am stupid for even thinking about this and maybe i am... however that isn't going to stop me from trying... i will work on my game as much as i can and give it my best... to me this is a fun challenge and at 45 years old i figure this may be my one time shot to do it. On a side note i have also played clubs that have been said to be on the closer side to a shovel like Cobra S3's or Callaway X-14's and i don't recall playing any better or worse with one design or another.

I have always been an advocate of people playing whatever the hell they desire to spend their money on. Whether it helps or not. Life is too short to allow others to place limitations on us for whatever reason. If we were all meant to play it safe then this life would be pretty boring. I will also set up a thread next spring on my progress so the whole world can see how it works out for me. Cheers everyone!!

Edited by Chuck905, 12 November 2017 - 12:48 PM.

#76 chisag

chisag

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,921 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2017 - 01:00 PM

Chuck905, on 12 November 2017 - 12:40 PM, said:

I'm the opposite and this may not apply to you; I see too many unseasoned golfers playing from too far of a tee box beyond their skill set that it ruins the pace for everybody behind them.

I've had experienced on a courses that is rated for 4 hours and it takes 5+ hours because of inexperienced ambitious golfers.

I understand it's your money, but all of us paid as well and if enjoyment, courtesy and pace of play is taken away from public play due to a minority of stubborn players, I walk away.

Your basically saying screw everybody on the course. I know, becasue I have had a handful of on course confrontations with this attitude minded people.

... I played with 3 Indian golfers when I was on vacation in LA. As a + index I was playing the Bue tees at 6674 and they were playing the Black tees at 7023. None of them broke 120. That said, they played quickly and we always kept up with the group in front of us and they were great playing companions, always complementing a good shot and a friendly group of guys. I asked them on the 10th tee why they were making it so much harder on themselves because they would score much better from the 6139 mens tees. There answer was illuminating. They are not good golfers but love playing the game. They know they will never shoot a low number and did;t care about their scores and wanted to hit as many shots as possible as it increased their enjoyment and was "a much better bargain.". I shot a 69 and they told me I was paying twice as much for each shot as they were LOL!

... I have no problem with people playing any tee's they want as long as they keep pace. Obviously that is not always the case but there are exceptions.
33.5" Bobby Grace 6330

#77 Chuck905

Chuck905

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2017 - 01:14 PM

Pace of play is the main killer for enjoyment.

You have a choice by virtue and if you cannot decide on the appropriate tee box; how sound is your managerial skills never mind game skill set?

I'm directing this at public players.

Edited by Chuck905, 12 November 2017 - 01:14 PM.

#78 VCGolfer79

VCGolfer79

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2017 - 02:36 PM

Beast10, on 11 November 2017 - 02:56 PM, said:

When I play itís never a hard swing, usually depending on how far I want it to go Iíll udjuat the swing if i need less or more

I dont understand this statement. You adjust if you need less or more? What some are trying to explain is that if you cant hit the green with a 7 iron you are swinging too hard. Instead of 170 try a 3/4 swing from 150. Drop 10 balls at 150 and 170 yds out. Check the dispersion pattern. If 150 is not significantly closer then there are major swing flas issues and there isnt much the club or shaft will do to help with that.
Adams XTD Ti 18*

#79 VCGolfer79

VCGolfer79

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2017 - 02:47 PM

Chuck905, on 12 November 2017 - 01:14 PM, said:

Pace of play is the main killer for enjoyment.

You have a choice by virtue and if you cannot decide on the appropriate tee box; how sound is your managerial skills never mind game skill set?

I'm directing this at public players.

This is the biggedt problem in golf. Guys will always play the blue or black tees. No matter how horrible they are. Same guys will claim they shoot in the high 80's but dont count the dozen lost balls per round. If real scores were kept most guys should play the white or even the front tees. The tees are hcp rated and nobody above a 10 should be playing the blue tees.

Go watch the 1st tee for a day at any decent public course. You will see some of the worst swings on the planet play the blue tees every damn time without fail. Egos affect players scores and pace of play more than anything I see. Wrong tees...wrong clubs and wrong mindset on the course. If marshalls actually enforced anything it would change. If people were directed to play front tees or leave the property things would change. These wont happen though on public tracks cuz they need the $$$. Also if you are on your 7th or 8th shot and not near the green pick up your damn ball and move on to the next hole. You are not playing golf you are hitting a ball with a stick and walking after it.
Adams XTD Ti 18*

#80 chisag

chisag

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,921 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2017 - 03:10 PM

... I play a ton as a single because of my schedule, mostly muni's and in my experience this is the exception, not the norm. I usually play a tee box back from the mens tee's comfortable in the 6800-6400 range but will go bak to 6999 and most guys play the next tee box up. Occasionally some join me, and some of those move up on the back 9. Of course I have run across the wannabe's that are playing way over their heads but most have a hard enough time from the forward tees.

33.5" Bobby Grace 6330

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#81 cliffhanger

cliffhanger

Major Winner

• 1,178 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2017 - 04:18 PM

View PostChuck905, on 12 November 2017 - 12:40 PM, said:

View Postcliffhanger, on 11 November 2017 - 06:32 PM, said:

No i actually take pace of play into consideration as stated in my initial response so no i don't basically say "screw everybody on the course". i don't know where you came up with that based on what i said. If i were taking longer to play from a back tee... i wouldn't play from there. If you have encountered that then i sympathize because yes that sucks... but i would appreciate it if you didn't say "a real shame and embarrassment" when referring to my comment... its almost like you didn't actually read it and just took from it what you wanted to for the sake of arguing... thats actually a real shame... thank you.
Driver pending...
3 wood pending...
Irons pending... although i want to say f*** it and rock a set of blades for once lol
Calloway Chrome soft

#82 mallrat

mallrat

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,085 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 122361
GolfWRX Likes : 1071

Posted 12 November 2017 - 06:27 PM

Not to be rude but isnít the topic of this thread about playing blades and not pace of play (which has 10 million threads that turn into arguments already)

#83 Chuck905

Chuck905

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2017 - 07:19 PM

Look, you have a short window and go ahead and play from the championship tees. If you covet the ultimate skillset, then join a men's league or the club championship.

I'm not targeting you, just pointing you towards the correct direction?

View Postcliffhanger, on 12 November 2017 - 04:18 PM, said:

View PostChuck905, on 12 November 2017 - 12:40 PM, said:

View Postcliffhanger, on 11 November 2017 - 06:32 PM, said:

No i actually take pace of play into consideration as stated in my initial response so no i don't basically say "screw everybody on the course". i don't know where you came up with that based on what i said. If i were taking longer to play from a back tee... i wouldn't play from there. If you have encountered that then i sympathize because yes that sucks... but i would appreciate it if you didn't say "a real shame and embarrassment" when referring to my comment... its almost like you didn't actually read it and just took from it what you wanted to for the sake of arguing... thats actually a real shame... thank you.

#84 Lincoln_Arcadia

Lincoln_Arcadia

Golf is supposed to be fun, enjoy it. . .

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 263134
GolfWRX Likes : 33

Posted 12 November 2017 - 09:17 PM

View Postmallrat, on 12 November 2017 - 06:27 PM, said:

Not to be rude but isn't the topic of this thread about playing blades and not pace of play (which has 10 million threads that turn into arguments already)
Not rude at all, but the answer is simple. Unless that bogey golfer has this terrific solid swing, it could be a pretty tedious and miserable a round with or behind him.

Any reasonable single digit player should discourage the use of blades and players clubs by bogey golfers, and make the game easier for everyone.

#85 cliffhanger

cliffhanger

Major Winner

• 1,178 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2017 - 10:40 PM

It always turns into an argument every time someone without a + handicap talks about getting a set of blades or how well they strike the ball. How dare those people claim to hit the ball 170 with a 7 iron and be a good ball striker without being on tour. Some people have a lot of nerve. By the way the MP-18's are beautiful aren't they.

Driver pending...
3 wood pending...
Calloway Chrome soft

#86 Chuck905

Chuck905

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2017 - 10:45 PM

These wannabe talkers should put the money where their mouth is; really, play a men's league or your club championship.

My advice, eat a big slice of humble pie and be prepared when lady luck hits you hard in the face....

Better to get roasted here than on the course lol

#87 Hubijerk

Hubijerk

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 305901
  • Handicap:0
  • Ebay ID:hubijerk2p7b
GolfWRX Likes : 163

Posted 12 November 2017 - 10:51 PM

View Postcliffhanger, on 12 November 2017 - 10:40 PM, said:

It always turns into an argument every time someone without a + handicap talks about getting a set of blades or how well they strike the ball. How dare those people claim to hit the ball 170 with a 7 iron and be a good ball striker without being on tour. Some people have a lot of nerve. By the way the MP-18's are beautiful aren't they.

I don't get the argument, why should anyone get mad at what someone else want's to play.  I have been messing around with an 18 7 iron and it's no doubt going to cost me some money.  With that said for me golf clubs are tools, and I truly can't justify going past the 7 in a blade.  PW-7 give me scalpel like precision 180 and in, but I'll take the height and help the SC offers in the 4, 5, 6.

One thing that get's missed is the ability to keep blades lower, as well as better control the spin.  I also find them to cut through thick rough better, give me less jumpers, and are usually better out of funny lies.  Hitting the 18 7 makes my 765 7 almost look like a game improvement head... The minimal offset and smooth blending/grinding of the head really make this thing fun to use.
You can't sneak the cheese by a rat

#88 Justsomeguy

Justsomeguy

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 412064
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 12 November 2017 - 11:46 PM

Cliffhanger is absolutely right. He did indeed factor in pace of play, and the guy arguing with him didn't bother to read past grumble grumble.
Playing blades and the champ tees is kind of the same argument and the same solution. Do whatever the hell you want unless and until it holds someone else up.
Hit your blades from the rear tee box, but if you lose the ball, move up and drop - don't go looking for it for 10m while a group behind you twiddles.
I think the people who have an issue w this are the guys who have put so much effort into this game, they feel ownership more than knowledge. Bc unless you're trying to show a less experienced golfer up, or poop on them the way you were pooped on, you're not enjoying the spirit of it with judgmental BS. Let people have fun at this frustrating game however they wish, so long as they disturb no one else.
Cliffhanger has it right.
Titleist 915D2 12* set to 11.25*, MFT Kai'li 65, S
Titleist 915F 15* Diamana S+ Blue 70, R
Titleist 915Hd 20.5* set to 19.75*, Diamana S+ Blue 70, S, -1/2"
Titleist 716 AP1 4-W2, Kuro Kage Tini 65, S
Ping Gorge Tour S 56*, TFC Graphite, R
Odyssey White Ice #9

#89 cliffhanger

cliffhanger

Major Winner

• 1,178 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2017 - 12:54 AM

View PostJustsomeguy, on 12 November 2017 - 11:46 PM, said:

Cliffhanger is absolutely right. He did indeed factor in pace of play, and the guy arguing with him didn't bother to read past grumble grumble.
Playing blades and the champ tees is kind of the same argument and the same solution. Do whatever the hell you want unless and until it holds someone else up.
Hit your blades from the rear tee box, but if you lose the ball, move up and drop - don't go looking for it for 10m while a group behind you twiddles.
I think the people who have an issue w this are the guys who have put so much effort into this game, they feel ownership more than knowledge. Bc unless you're trying to show a less experienced golfer up, or poop on them the way you were pooped on, you're not enjoying the spirit of it with judgmental BS. Let people have fun at this frustrating game however they wish, so long as they disturb no one else.
Cliffhanger has it right.
this game sure is frustrating at times... both on and off the course... cheers to everyone who can have fun with this game and not be so serious that they can't laugh at themselves once in a while.
Driver pending...
3 wood pending...
Calloway Chrome soft

#90 Chewey85

Chewey85

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 481436
GolfWRX Likes : 22

Posted 13 November 2017 - 10:40 AM

Let's be real real guys.... 5 mins spent looking for lost balls is the biggest pace killer 😂😂😂😂

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

15 user(s) are reading this topic

6 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users

grumbles, Azgolfnut1, chisag, drew123, buzlin, sajohnson

GolfWRX Sponsors